Jets To Release Guard Brandon Moore...NFW

SoFlaJets

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, the club has the right to convert that RB into SB. So some of this is spin by the team. Technically, today, it's a RB. But they can change that whenever they want to (up until the time they pay it, presumably).

oh...so they can convert that without his approval? that would ammortize the bonus over the life length of his contract right?

oh...so they can convert that without his approval? that would ammortize the bonus over the life length of his contract right?

I believe that is correct, since there's only 4 years remaining on his contract. If true, his $7.845M cap number can be dropped down to $2.595M for this season. IMO he's worth that. No way he's worth almost $8M in any season though. If any other team feels he is, it's because the rest of their OL is in sorry shape (similar to the way we were when we overpaid for Kenyon Coleman). Ours is not.

I think your points are spot on. He's worth the $8MM or so over two years (copmared to what's out there for certain) but he's obviously going to be a threat to hold out next season.

I think the Jets would probably like to see him spread this years RB out over two years and should be willing to add a million or so to get it done. Pay him $5MM bonus this year and $3MM next or something like that. His agent is probably thinking they do better on the open market and could be playing chicken. Can't blame the guy as this is the system they're in.

I'd like to see him stay and focus on other things that are more pressing and don't have an in-house solution but the numbers as they stand are definitely concerning.

I think your points are spot on. He's worth the $8MM or so over two years (copmared to what's out there for certain) but he's obviously going to be a threat to hold out next season.

I think the Jets would probably like to see him spread this years RB out over two years and should be willing to add a million or so to get it done. Pay him $5MM bonus this year and $3MM next or something like that. His agent is probably thinking they do better on the open market and could be playing chicken. Can't blame the guy as this is the system they're in.

I'd like to see him stay and focus on other things that are more pressing and don't have an in-house solution but the numbers as they stand are definitely concerning.

They don't have to pay him anything more or ask for his permission or blessing to spread it out over 4 years (not just 2).

As I read the info I have, the Jets hold all the cards in regard to 2009. The only "chicken" Moore can play is "Hey, release me or trade me or I'm getting my $7M check on March 5th whether it's a RB or a SB. And no matter which it is, I'm still holding out in 2010."

They don't have to pay him anything more or ask for his permission or blessing to spread it out over 4 years (not just 2).

As I read the info I have, the Jets hold all the cards in regard to 2009. The only "chicken" Moore can play is "Hey, release me or trade me or I'm getting my $7M check on March 5th whether it's a RB or a SB. And no matter which it is, I'm still holding out in 2010."

The only thing Im not sure of in regards to that is if it violates the current CBA if they convert his deal without reworking his contract. At first I thought that it was not the case, but I was told later on that even though its in his contract to exercise the option it would still count against the 30% rules, at least the 5 million part. The 2 million escalator is like funny money which doesnt count for or against those limits. Its easy enough to get around by simply moving 2 million or so into 2010, but the Jets seem reluctant.

I really think there are a few forces at play here regarding the decision. First is that the Jets have certain limits they want to see tied into positions and paying Moore anywhere close to that money is going to blow the budget away for the offensive line. Secondly I think there is a big hangup over bonus money due later in his deal along with the 2 million this year. They know, as you said, he is a holdout potential in 2010 and then again in 2011. My guess is what the Jets want to do is give him 5 now as a signing bonus, give him either 2 next year as another RB

(or 1 each the next 2 seasons), and then tack another year onto his deal in 2013 to compenate for other bonus money he is due in 2011 and 2012 and maybe incentivize some of the money to comply with the 30% rules. Im sure Moore wants that money guaranteed that he would be giving up which the Jets cant do because of the CBA unless they start guaranteeing base salaries which will never happen.

I doubt they give him his release until it is absolutely necessary under the terms of his contract or if they need the cap room to sign a big free agent next week.

Hmmm... I've been in agreement with your conspiracy theorizing up until this moment.

Now I would think that the Jets would be able to convert that RB into a SB, too - but maybe not! Because if they do convert it to a signing bonus, and Moore decides to hold out in 2010, the team has the right to demand signing bonus money back at that point because Moore would be in breach of contract. If it's a roster bonus, the Jets would have no recourse in a holdout situation.

I do believe that the Jets may be dangling him as trade bait, though. That was something I hadn't thought of before. I wouldn't be happy with cutting him, but I'd be fine if they got something of value in return.

Well, it's Monday and nothing has happened yet. Does seem like they're going to stretch this out till 3/5 to try to get a resolution.

I think, from what Sperm said yesterday ,that's exactly what the Jets are going to do. Thyey'll 1st check out the other FA guards and go from there.

Hmmm... I've been in agreement with your conspiracy theorizing up until this moment.

Now I would think that the Jets would be able to convert that RB into a SB, too - but maybe not! Because if they do convert it to a signing bonus, and Moore decides to hold out in 2010, the team has the right to demand signing bonus money back at that point because Moore would be in breach of contract. If it's a roster bonus, the Jets would have no recourse in a holdout situation.

I do believe that the Jets may be dangling him as trade bait, though. That was something I hadn't thought of before. I wouldn't be happy with cutting him, but I'd be fine if they got something of value in return.

Not so. What I had from the NFLPA's own site (unless they have it wrong) was that the team has the right to convert roster bonus to signing bonus.

And he might not be in breach of the contract if he gets credit for the season, which I believe he would if he showed up by November-something. The Jets just wouldn't have to pay him his salary for those 10 or whatever games. Even so, you'd be talking about maybe another $1M when amortized. Meanwhile, the Jets are without their starting guard for the first 10 games.

There's more at stake than who's right & who's wrong & drawing lines in the sand. It potentially affects the whole season for dozens of other players on the team (in addition to coaches, the owner, the fans, etc). And if Moore doesn't know that, I'm quite sure his agent (his NEW agent) does.

Switching Woody to RG??, but then WHAT ABOUT RT!!! and look at the possible Free Agent Tackles, I mean Jon Runyan is the only one even MENTIONABLE!!!

I love what I see in our future as far as the LBers, but RT or RG is huge, and we had the BEST RUSHER IN THE AFC!!!!

Anyone? Thoughts. Please help me out here

Switching Woody to RG??, but then WHAT ABOUT RT!!! and look at the possible Free Agent Tackles, I mean Jon Runyan is the only one even MENTIONABLE!!!

If we indeed needed a RT it wouldn't be Runyon. He had a chance to sign with us as a FA a few years back and basically told us to go F ourselves and resigned with Philly. No thanks.

Archived