Jets To Release Guard Brandon Moore...NFW

SoFlaJets

First chink in the armour of the new regime. This is a bad move. Very bad. Brandon Moore is competing at a high level (though I think "Elite" is a bit of an overstatement). He's young, solid, and relatively inexpensive. There is no replacement available at his pay scale that offers his youth and ability, and if we were to draft OG in the early rounds, he'd cost as much or more without a guarantee. I would have preferred unloading Faneca over Moore (though the best scenario would be to keep the OL intact). Faneca is on the downside of his career, has played spotty at times and costs a king's ransom. He's better than Moore, but not nearly as good a value, which, in dealing with manuevering under the cap, should be paramount. Unless this is a cut-him-now-sign-him-later deal, which is unlikely, we just took a big step backward.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ****ing hate this team, I seriously do. We're suppose to be a "Running team" but then again we just released our best run blocker.

Makes great sense to me.

If Moore is our best run blocker, our hopes of being a running team aren't very good.

it looks like he's purging to make some more BOLD (ha ha) moves again this year DM...which is good for us anyway-gives us some interesting stuff to discuss during the off season-hey and at least this HC isn't obsessed with ex Patriots like our last guy was

No just ex Ravens :P

Stupid, stupid, stupid. If we indeed do this and release Moore and sign Ray Lewis it just might be enough for me to tell the Jets to GFY once and for all. Have we (FO) learned nothing ? As others have mentioned this has Pete Kendall written all over it. A disaster just waiting to happen. Don't do it.

Last point first. On the cap space, the Jets releasing Moore frees up cap space, but not cap space they need since they're already about $18 million under. Thus, this is just a move to save Woody some coin.

Rob Turner's only quality is being Tackle Eligible. Let's get real, okay. When was the last time he took significant snaps with the Jets at G?

For the guys you like in FA, who do you think is: (1) better than Moore, (2) younger than Moore, and (3) less expensive than Moore? If one player doesn't fit into all 3 categories then it's a bad move.

i keep seeing this written,

why does everyone think the replacement must be or will be a cheaper option? maybe they like someone more and just want moore's salary savings now.

i keep seeing this written,

why does everyone think the replacement must be or will be a cheaper option? maybe they like someone more and just want moore's salary savings now.

true. moore counted as just under 6 million on the cap.

maybe we get someone better who counts as like 8 million towards the cap.

then were back to around 20 million under the cap.

Everyone, calm down.

Jesus Christ reincarnated is here to lead the Jets, it doesn't matter if we don't have a solid right side of the line. No worries. Brett Ratliff is here. He is 10x the QB that Tom Brady was. Didn't you see his Preseason performance against Cleveland?

:cheer:

true. moore counted as just under 6 million on the cap.

maybe we get someone better who counts as like 8 million towards the cap.

then were back to around 20 million under the cap.

Please tell me the RG out there right now who is better.

Please tell me the RG out there right now who is better.

how do you expect me to know? im just saying mike T has a plan, and obviously he knows what hes doing. finding someone better is just an option.he knows whos better and whos not, dont have me tell you a better guy, because Mike T knows more than all of us.

Everyone, calm down.

Jesus Christ reincarnated is here to lead the Jets, it doesn't matter if we don't have a solid right side of the line. No worries. Brett Ratliff is here. He is 10x the QB that Tom Brady was. Didn't you see his Preseason performance against Cleveland?

:cheer:

name one time when I or any other ratliff fan annointed Ratliff the next tom brady....

Guys,

I like Brandon Moore also. I like him a lot. I have been defending Moore on Jets' message boards LONG BEFORE he was being called "the Jets best run blocker." It was just a year ago that most Jets fans were calling him a bum and calling for him to be replaced. I was there defending him knowing that he was a solid RG.

However, with that being said, I trust Bill Callahan. Callahan knows what the hell he is doing when it comes to coaching an OLine. If Callahan wasn't on board with this, and didn't think our OLine could be as strong or stronger without Moore, we wouldn't be doing this (IF WE'RE EVEN DOING IT!).

Rex just called Callahan "one of the best OLine coaches in all the NFL" this afternoon. I'm sure for that reason he values Callahan's opinion. And if this were as terrible as everyone here is trying to make it sound, Callahan wouldn't be on board.

Also like someone else said earlier, maybe they're looking to sign an upgrade and not a downgrade. Or maybe they're looking to move Damien Woody (a fantastic run blocker) to RG and upgrade the RT position. Who the hell knows? But no matter what, I know they wouldn't be doing it without a solid plan. This will not be a Pete Kendall/Adrien Clarke situation. Mangidiot and his stupid mind games with players are gone.

And finally, if you ask me (which I know you didn't but I'm going to tell you anyway), I don't think we're releasing him anyway. If I were a betting man, I say Brandon Moore is still our starting RG in 2009.

If Moore is our best run blocker, our hopes of being a running team aren't very good.

Are you being sarcastic about Moore's ability? Did you happen to notice that almost every long run by Jones or Washington last year was behind a big block by Moore on the right side?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/20/2009-02-20_jets_might_release_brandon_moore_with_ey-1.html

This is what Cimini says. Take it with a grain of salt and a bottle of tequila.

"On a day in which the Jets released one offensive stalwart, tight end Chris Baker, and moved close to unloading another, guard Brandon Moore, "

"The Jets, not wanting to pay a $7 million roster bonus, due in two weeks, offered a restructured contract that was described by one source as "a joke." Moore, saddled with bad contracts throughout his career, is eager to test the free-agent market."

Doesn't look like they have released him yet, but if they're offering him crap to restructure, you might as well kiss him goodbye. If we release him and sign Bart Scott, fine. If we release him and sign Ray Lewis, kill me.

I like Moore and on the surface this move (if it even happens) appears to be questionable. He is young and showed major improvement last season.

On the flip side I think we collectively overrate Moore. He is a good run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker due a huge bonus and has a pretty hefty cap savings.

I have faith in Bill Callahan and his judgement of OL talent and I have faith that we have a backup plan if we do actually release Moore.

Maybe we move Woody and get a new RT? Maybe they have somebody in mind in the 2nd round? Maybe the get the best FA available at either RT or RG and put Woody in whatever position is left?

Lets see what the ultimate plan is before ripping the new regime apart...

I like Moore and on the surface this move (if it even happens) appears to be questionable. He is young and showed major improvement last season.

On the flip side I think we collectively overrate Moore. He is a good run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker due a huge bonus and has a pretty hefty cap savings.

I have faith in Bill Callahan and his judgement of OL talent and I have faith that we have a backup plan if we do actually release Moore.

Maybe we move Woody and get a new RT? Maybe they have somebody in mind in the 2nd round? Maybe the get the best FA available at either RT or RG and put Woody in whatever position is left?

Lets see what the ultimate plan is before ripping the new regime apart...

LOL, we're Jet fans we're smarter then our FO.

Are you being sarcastic about Moore's ability? Did you happen to notice that almost every long run by Jones or Washington last year was behind a big block by Moore on the right side?

I happened to notice that this board drastically overrates Moore.

When did he become Faneca in his prime or Steve Hutchinson in his prime?

Is this the same "great run blocker" that open a hole to gain 1 yard on the goalline? Is this the same guy who in 2007 couldn't block at all? Same guy that has a false start a game?

I don't think Moore is worth a 7M payment. Period.

"The Jets, not wanting to pay a $7 million roster bonus, due in two weeks, offered a restructured contract that was described by one source as "a joke." Moore, saddled with bad contracts throughout his career, is eager to test the free-agent market."

I don't blame him. The guy has been saddled with crappy contracts for his entire career. He's finally about to get his payday, and the Jets want to pull the rug out from under him? I'd tell them to eff off, too. He may be somewhat overrated here, but if he's released he immediately becomes the top guard in free agency - and he'll get more than what he's under contract for now.

I'm hoping the Jets are bluffing. If not, they are idiots.

while this seems like it could be a bad move......let's see what the end result is before we start a war over it. talk about overreacting. it hasn't even happened yet. and if it does, let's see what our roster looks like heading into the draft and then we can pass judgments. i have a hell of alot more faith in rex and his staff to put the right guys on the field for us. if this were mangini still i would be alot more pissed.

I don't blame him. The guy has been saddled with crappy contracts for his entire career. He's finally about to get his payday, and the Jets want to pull the rug out from under him? I'd tell them to eff off, too. He may be somewhat overrated here, but if he's released he immediately becomes the top guard in free agency - and he'll get more than what he's under contract for now.

I'm hoping the Jets are bluffing. If not, they are idiots.

HAHAHA!

while this seems like it could be a bad move......let's see what the end result is before we start a war over it. talk about overreacting. it hasn't even happened yet. and if it does, let's see what our roster looks like heading into the draft and then we can pass judgments. i have a hell of alot more faith in rex and his staff to put the right guys on the field for us. if this were mangini still i would be alot more pissed.

But, Neck, you can have all the faith in the world in Rex yet he is NOT the one making personnel decisions. Mike Tannenbaum is.

In such situations, Mike Tannenbaum has proven not to be worthy of the benefit of the doubt (no option for Curtis being hurt/ Pete Kendall fiasco). In other situations like the draft and FA I could understand, but not in this one.

This is a bad move plain and simple and nothing is forcing the Jets to do it. The Jets want to be a run-first team, but then are willing to cut 2 good run blockers in Baker and Moore? Stupid. Simply stupid.

This is not about the cap or making the Jets better. This is simply the Jets not wanting to pay Moore a bonus THEY negotiated to give him. Total BS.

Jets to release guard Brandon Moore

by Dave Hutchinson

Friday February 20, 2009, 6:18 PM

The Jets, continuing a dizzying salary purge, plan to release right guard Brandon Moore, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking. The move saves the Jets roughly $7 million in cap space and the team is now approximately $27 million under the projected 2007 salary cap of $124 million.

Moore, a six-year veteran, was scheduled to receive a $7 million roster bonus on March 5. The move to jettison him was a surprise since he was the Jets best run blocker and new coach Rex Ryan plans to run the ball next season.

Moore, 28, is expected to be one of the top guards on the free agent market and will cash in big. A former defensive tackle, he was a five-year starter.

The decision comes on the heels of the Jets officiallly releasing veteran tight end Chris Baker earlier in the day.

lol, 1 move and a rumor is a dizzying purge ?

lol

Archived