Jets To Release Guard Brandon Moore...NFW

SoFlaJets

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only is this dumb because Moore has become a solid OG and has years left, but taking a piece out of an o-line that could have the opportunity to play another entire season together could be huge. Their collective play could improve 10 to 20% as a result. Cohesiveness among an o-line is so important. Look at the improvement in the Giants 0-line the last few years. This is very dumb.

I disagree, I really do think he was one of the best in the league last season. He (and Moore) were both great in run blocking, his pass protection was pretty darn good too. I can't see why you'd risk so much with this move especially with continuity being such a key to building a successful group. Now you want to change two positions on the line? I can't see it.

I'd leave Woody where he is regardless and try and get someone adequate to fill in at RG. I know it's a Hell of a lot easier said than done as we all found out with the Kendall scenario but I can't see us going down the Woody to G route and I wouldn't agree with it if we did.

Hey, I'm for leaving the line the way it was across the board. My guess is they tried to restructure Moore's contract & he refused. Unless

But Woody initially earned his stripes as an interior lineman, not a RT. I didn't think he was "elite" as a RT. But he was plenty good enough that I didn't think an upgrade was necessary. Same with Moore.

Yeah, I don't buy it. Unless like Sperm said he doesn't want to restructure. Has this been reported anywhere else?

No. It's just my guess. He's a solid, veteran lineman with no baggage that I'm aware of. If he could have been restructured with the same or similar bonus money I'd think they'd do it.

Moore would be a fool to do it as well, unless he felt the Jets were going to keep him anyway. He'll make a boatload more on the open market. We had him for cheap. Watch the contract he gets.

it looks like he's purging to make some more BOLD (ha ha) moves again this year DM...which is good for us anyway-gives us some interesting stuff to discuss during the off season-hey and at least this HC isn't obsessed with ex Patriots like our last guy was

He was pretty good last year, but in the two years before that he held the world, or at least committed a lot of penallties. Maybe they feel Callahan was responsible for the improvement and can get it out of someone cheaper.

No. It's just my guess. He's a solid, veteran lineman with no baggage that I'm aware of. If he could have been restructured with the same or similar bonus money I'd think they'd do it.

Moore would be a fool to do it as well, unless he felt the Jets were going to keep him anyway. He'll make a boatload more on the open market. We had him for cheap. Watch the contract he gets.

Which makes releasing him even more idiotic.

Seriously. The Jets are not going to find a guard at Moore's talent level and at his current salary.

Mike T is an unmitigated fool if he releases Moore. The Jets most important component is the Oline and they're going to **** with it while they're $20 million under?

Didn't Mike T learn anything from 2007???

ledgerlogo_gray.jpg

New York Jets to release guard Brandon Moore

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger Friday February 20, 2009, 6:18 PM

The Jets, continuing a dizzying salary purge, have told the agent of right guard Brandon Moore of their plans to release him, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking. The move saves the Jets roughly $7 million in cap space and the team is now approximately $27 million under the projected 2007 salary cap of $124 million.

The Jets met with Moore's representatives this evening.

Moore, a six-year veteran, was scheduled to receive a $7 million roster bonus on March 5. The move to jettison him was a surprise since he was the Jets' best run blocker and new coach Rex Ryan plans to run the ball next season.

Moore, 28, is expected to be one of the top guards on the free agent market and will cash in big. A former defensive tackle, he was a five-year starter.

The decision comes on the heels of the Jets officially releasing veteran tight end Chris Baker earlier in the day.

Sperm's right, He does not want to restructure - What an ASS!

Which makes releasing him even more idiotic.

Seriously. The Jets are not going to find a guard at Moore's talent level and at his current salary.

Mike T is an unmitigated fool if he releases Moore. The Jets most important component is the Oline and they're going to **** with it while they're $20 million under?

Didn't Mike T learn anything from 2007???

Yeah, he learned NOT to trust Brett Favre - He needs the cap space in case Favre tries to return, like he did in Green Bay last year.

I agree, if he has to open up some more cash, it's gonna be a restructured year...

First bad move of the off-season. How much cap room do they need? Do they think they can get Warner? Otherwise, I don't get it.

Even if we CAN get Warner, what is the point if we don't have a strong O-Line for him to work behind?

Horrible, horrible idea unless Brandon is willing to resign for less money. He is our best run blocking Offensive Lineman by FAR and Rex Ryan comes in here talking about running the football is how to win games on Offense? This must be a sick ****ing joke.

THIS IS *****ING STUPID!!!!

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Lets hope there is a plan. There have been times before that Mike T was judged too early on a decision. I still have faith in Mike. Although, it better be a damn good plan because right now I agree, ****ing stupid.

Sperm's right, He does not want to restructure - What an ASS!

Why is he an ass?

It's a smart move not to restructure. He's going to make more money as a FA and the Jets have waaayyy more than enough cap space to keep him under contract.

The Jets being close against the cap is one thing in asking Moore to restructure, but them being nearly $20 million under is a different situation.

Mike T is about to make the Jets worse.

I really dont get it. The Jets had him signed thru 2010 I believe when they decided to extend him in 2007. They ended up giving him an out in 2009 because the Jets never intended to pay his salary those last few years of the deal. Had they never extended him in 2007 they likely could have signed him to an extension now and not had to deal with the high salaries late in the deal that are what forced the Jets to cut him.

If this is to sign Ray Lewis I have lost all faith in the regime already.

Jesus Christ.

With $27 million in cap room I now EXPECT a BETTER run blocking Right Guard (there arn't many), Chris McAlister, Jim Leohnard and Bart Scott.

Lets hope there is a plan. There have been times before that Mike T was judged too early on a decision. I still have faith in Mike. Although, it better be a damn good plan because right now I agree, ****ing stupid.

They had no plan in 2007, so there's really nothing to base the hope on.

They were idiots in 2007 and it seems as if they will repeat their idiocy.

Can we possibly overrate Brandon Moore any more?

Decent player.. that's about it. Im sure they tried to restructure, but if he's not interested, I don't blame them for not paying the 7m.

Problem is that there are no decent replacements available.

And you can't blame them for not paying him 7m? First, they agreed to the contract. Second, there is no extra cap hit in paying him that money. In other words, the Jets will have the same amount of cap space whether they had to pay him $7 m or not.

Anyone else think Hutchinson and most of this board is jumping the gun? Hell, even in the article it says "planning to release", not to mention the fact that this isn't being reported anywhere else...

In the NFL today... where there is smoke... there is fire... almost always.. and this is not the first time it has come up... just the most recent...

And there are time he hasn't...Ala Pete Kendall. Lets hope this time he does.

They were idiots in 2007 and it seems as if they will repeat their idiocy.

Problem is that there are no decent replacements available.

And you can't blame them for not paying him 7m? First, they agreed to the contract. Second, there is no extra cap hit in paying him that money. In other words, the Jets will have the same amount of cap space whether they had to pay him $7 m or not.

You're wrong about everything except that we were retards in 2007. This really is different. It's at the beginning of the league year, so we actually have time to find a replacement. Rob Turner ain't Adrien Clarke either. There are some guys I like in free agency - I don't see how Baltimore can keep two of the linebackers and Brown. And I don't even understand how you're under the impression that this doesn't affect our cap space.

You're wrong about everything except that we were retards in 2007. This really is different. It's at the beginning of the league year, so we actually have time to find a replacement. Rob Turner ain't Adrien Clarke either. There are some guys I like in free agency - I don't see how Baltimore can keep two of the linebackers and Brown. And I don't even understand how you're under the impression that this doesn't affect our cap space.

Last point first. On the cap space, the Jets releasing Moore frees up cap space, but not cap space they need since they're already about $18 million under. Thus, this is just a move to save Woody some coin.

Rob Turner's only quality is being Tackle Eligible. Let's get real, okay. When was the last time he took significant snaps with the Jets at G?

For the guys you like in FA, who do you think is: (1) better than Moore, (2) younger than Moore, and (3) less expensive than Moore? If one player doesn't fit into all 3 categories then it's a bad move.

Last point first. On the cap space, the Jets releasing Moore frees up cap space, but not cap space they need since they're already about $18 million under. Thus, this is just a move to save Woody some coin.

Rob Turner's only quality is being Tackle Eligible. Let's get real, okay. When was the last time he took significant snaps with the Jets at G?

For the guys you like in FA, who do you think is: (1) better than Moore, (2) younger than Moore, and (3) less expensive than Moore? If one player doesn't fit into all 3 categories then it's a bad move.

As to the first (last?), well, I already said I'd have paid him so obviously I agree that we didn't strictly need the room. But we do have it, and after last year who's to say we don't go bonkos again.

Turner has at least demonstrated minimum competence as an athlete and football player. Clarke was such a horrorshow that the only people too dumb to see it were Mangini and ARod. I wouldn't say the snaps Turner took at the end of that season were meaningful, but even then he was better than Clarke was.

Wait. New guy has to be younger AND better AND cheaper for the move to be good? I'm calling klogic on that one.

The one reason that they could need it for cap space is if they really do plan on going out and signing big pricey free agents yet again. The cap numbers dont take into account escalators yet and a 2-3 million dollar bonus that will most likely be earned by the Ghost as long as he plays in 45% of the snaps. Because of the rules in place since 2010 is an uncapped year the Jets need to have money on hand to cover for Gholston once it becomes evident that he is going to earn the bonus.

i never seemed to like moore as much as the rest of you, he was a good guard, but nothing special and not worth a huge roster bonus imo. on the other hand, i hope they have a plan and aren't hoping to fill in with someone that is already on the roster. maybe stacey andrews? he has played both guard and rt

Archived