Jets To Release Guard Brandon Moore...NFW

SoFlaJets

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, Neck, you can have all the faith in the world in Rex yet he is NOT the one making personnel decisions. Mike Tannenbaum is.

In such situations, Mike Tannenbaum has proven not to be worthy of the benefit of the doubt (no option for Curtis being hurt/ Pete Kendall fiasco). In other situations like the draft and FA I could understand, but not in this one.

This is a bad move plain and simple and nothing is forcing the Jets to do it. The Jets want to be a run-first team, but then are willing to cut 2 good run blockers in Baker and Moore? Stupid. Simply stupid.

This is not about the cap or making the Jets better. This is simply the Jets not wanting to pay Moore a bonus THEY negotiated to give him. Total BS.

well i'm hoping that rex has some say in all of this. i mean after all, don't you want to ask the coach about a player he mnay or may not really want before you just cut him cause you don't want to pay him the contract you gave him? i'm no cap expert...but couldn't they just convert the roster bonus into a signing bonus. this way he still gets the money but we get to ammortize it?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/20/2009-02-20_jets_might_release_brandon_moore_with_ey-1.html

This is what Cimini says. Take it with a grain of salt and a bottle of tequila.

"On a day in which the Jets released one offensive stalwart, tight end Chris Baker, and moved close to unloading another, guard Brandon Moore, "

"The Jets, not wanting to pay a $7 million roster bonus, due in two weeks, offered a restructured contract that was described by one source as "a joke." Moore, saddled with bad contracts throughout his career, is eager to test the free-agent market."

Doesn't look like they have released him yet, but if they're offering him crap to restructure, you might as well kiss him goodbye. If we release him and sign Bart Scott, fine. If we release him and sign Ray Lewis, kill me.

The thing is we don't need to release him to sign Scott.

well i'm hoping that rex has some say in all of this. i mean after all, don't you want to ask the coach about a player he mnay or may not really want before you just cut him cause you don't want to pay him the contract you gave him? i'm no cap expert...but couldn't they just convert the roster bonus into a signing bonus. this way he still gets the money but we get to ammortize it?

Neck, this move has nothing to do with Rex. Rex doesn't know Moore, so how can he have a say in who stays and who goes? This move is that Jets don't want to pay more $7 million at one time.

The Jets are in good cap shape. Thus, from Moore's perspective, there is no reason to restructure. Why should he? He'll get more money as UFA and he's entitled to $7 million roster bonus.

This is about Woody being cheap with Moore (not overall, but only with Moore). The Jets and Moore agreed to pay him the roster bonus and the Jets have the cap room to do it.

The bottom line is cutting Moore is not a football or cap decision. It's purely a financial decision.

You'd think Larry Allen in his prime was just released if you read this thread.

MOORE ISNT THAT GOOD. And def not worth 7 mill a season.

btw woody and faneca are both better run blockers.

That's not the point, Barton.

Moore may not be "that good," but the Jets aren't making this decision based on talent. This is about saving money.

And Moore IS NOT being paid $7 million a season. He is getting a roster bonus.

That $7 million is coming out of the later years of his contract. In other words, the $7 million he gets as the bonus is $7 million less than what he's getting paid the rest of the contract.

For instance, let's say he has 3 years, $12 million left on his contract. That $7 million roster bonus means he'll actually pocket $3 million in 2009 and $2 million in 2010.

If the Jets were releasing Moore to get a better Guard, then that's okay. But as the Kendall fiasco showed, that's not how they operate.

When I saw this news I am very concerned with how this will shake up the line. There's absolutely NO way that the Jets are staying in house with Moore's replacement. The only other solution I think is that they'll draft OT in the first round. Think of it, high rookie prospect on a dominant line with 4 veterans. Can't do harm there. Woody has a 2 more years and maybe what they're thinking is that moving him to the inside will be better off since they were not planning on keeping Moore after his contract is up -- and get younger on the line. Does getting rid of more help that? Sort of yes, but I think they're doing it in hopes to have a LT C RT position locked up for years to come. After doing some research here's whose at RT that we can grab.

Eugene Monroe 6, 5 310 Virginia (Grade 97)

Jason Smith 6,4 300 Baylor (Grade 96)

Andre Smith 6,4 341 Alabama (Grade 95)

Michael Oher 6,5 309 Mississippi (Grade 93)

These are four top prospects who the Jets could get with their first pick. I hope that if this is their plan then it goes down like this, otherwise we can make this an Adrian Clarke situation

That's not the point, Barton.

Moore may not be "that good," but the Jets aren't making this decision based on talent. This is about saving money.

And Moore IS NOT being paid $7 million a season. He is getting a roster bonus.

That $7 million is coming out of the later years of his contract. In other words, the $7 million he gets as the bonus is $7 million less than what he's getting paid the rest of the contract.

For instance, let's say he has 3 years, $12 million left on his contract. That $7 million roster bonus means he'll actually pocket $3 million in 2009 and $2 million in 2010.

If the Jets were releasing Moore to get a better Guard, then that's okay. But as the Kendall fiasco showed, that's not how they operate.

And all the Jets are asking Moore to do is to take that 7M and spread it out over the 3 yrs... something he doesn't want to do. So, your argument just went poof.

And all the Jets are asking Moore to do is to take that 7M and spread it out over the 3 yrs... something he doesn't want to do. So, your argument just went poof.

Went poof? Not even close.

The Jets don't want to pay him $7 million, wether it is roster bonus or a new signing bonus on a restructuted deal. The Jets want to "spread out" that $7 million by not paying it to him this year. Get the difference?

Plus, Moore has absoultely no incentive to restructure since he'll get a better deal on the open market.

Actually, you don't know what the Jets asked him to do. They could be asking for a pay cut for all you know.

From what I can see, the $7M figure is overstated, too. He's due a $5M bonus this year, and another $2M bonus in 2011. His salary this year is $620K and it's $720 in 2010. If they can afford the $5M this year (and it seems like they can), he'd only count that $720K against next year's cap. Then they could address the situation again when he's due the smaller bonus in 2011. He's signed thru 2012. I'm guessing it's the uncapped year that doesn't allow them to pro-rate the $5M over the four years for an easy $3.75M savings.

All in all, I think he'll do better on the open market if the Jets cut him loose.

that was my reaction as well LOL. I didnt think he was so valuable.But the problem is we dont have anybody to step in for him.

Finding a replacement wont be that difficult. Either via the draft, orpicking someone up. Moore was JAG and a bad run blocker. He wasnt very strong.

Wait, Brandon Moore was good?

Brandon Moore is good, and has been good for years despite the fact that 90% of Jets' fans just noticed it this year and now think he is the messiah.

I don't think Moore is going anywhere. I think he will be our starting guard in 2009. However, if he isn't, I trust in Bill Callahan enough that if he thinks we can be as good or better without Moore then so be it. If Callahan thought he was as important as most posters here are making it sound to be then he wouldn't allow it to happen. If it happens, Callahan was on board. Rex just yesterday called him, "One of the best offensive line coaches in all the NFL." If Callahan said we can't be as good without him, and kicked and screamed, then it would't happen. Period.

In the NFL, you are forced at times to make tough personnel decisions regarding who you overpay and who you let walk. The great teams like Pittsburgh, and Philly, etc. let big name guys like this (is Moore even a big name guy?) walk all the time. As much as I respect Moore, and as much as I have defended him on these message boards vs. fools who used to call him a bum, he is not the type of guy you overpay for. When push comes to shove, he is the type of guy you let walk and replace. He is not worth over $8M against our cap this year.

Finding a replacement wont be that difficult. Either via the draft, orpicking someone up. Moore was JAG and a bad run blocker. He wasnt very strong.

Are you kidding me?

Brandon Moore was our best run blocking offensive lineman. Almost every single big play was ran right behind him. I remember the Chiefs run by Leon the most when NFL Network analysts just kept on talking about how well Moore blocked on that play. He did it countless times before and after that game as well.

FACT is the Jets just released two of their best three run blockers yet we're labeled by Rex as a team that wants to run the ball to win games, aka, run like the Ravens? Seriously? :face:

That sounds a lot like what was said when Kendall left. Granted the entire line is better now but still it scares me. I would prefer that the Jets don't fix things that aren't broken. I realize with the cap they have to do things like this, just sucks because the line was solid.

I havent read all 15 pages of this thread (if someone posted this, my apologies).

What if the plan is to move Damien Woody inside to OG, where he is better suited anyway. And then Jets draft a big mother fuc*ing right tackle. (OT is deep this year). I like Woody but wouldnt mind him inside with a 330 pound mauler at RT.

Meanwhile with additional cap savings, sign B.Scott to play ILB.

Either way, I think we need to see what happens next in order to really assess this move.

That sounds a lot like what was said when Kendall left. Granted the entire line is better now but still it scares me. I would prefer that the Jets don't fix things that aren't broken. I realize with the cap they have to do things like this, just sucks because the line was solid.

I agree that the line was solid last season and messing with the chemistry could hurt. I just think Moore was the weakest link and if Ryan and Tanny think they can find someone better- go for it. Make something good go to great.

He is not worth over $8M against our cap this year.

It would be $5.8M this year, and under $1M next year. Pretty good value for a solid starter.

What if the plan is to move Damien Woody inside to OG, where he is better suited anyway. And then Jets draft a big mother fuc*ing right tackle. (OT is deep this year). I like Woody but wouldnt mind him inside with a 330 pound mauler at RT.

Meanwhile with additional cap savings, sign B.Scott to play ILB.

I'm all for them drafting an OT. The Jets need some depth on the OL. If they manage to find a guy in the draft who can beat out Moore or Woody, that would be great. Cutting a guy with the plan of drafting his replacement is foolish.

And I hope it's Scott they're after, and not Lewis.

I'm in the minority here, but Brandon Moore is overrated IMO and not worth the $7 million in cap space. Damien Woody was solid at RT but is much better suited to play inside. With that being said, he's an upgrade over Moore at RG.

We can find a RT in the draft that can play as well as Woody did last year, and for a fraction of the cost. I like this move, assuming they draft a mauler RT.

It would be $5.8M this year, and under $1M next year. Pretty good value for a solid starter.

I'm all for them drafting an OT. The Jets need some depth on the OL. If they manage to find a guy in the draft who can beat out Moore or Woody, that would be great. Cutting a guy with the plan of drafting his replacement is foolish.

And I hope it's Scott they're after, and not Lewis.

If he's getting a 7M roster bonus, every dime of it counts on the 2009 cap.

Archived