Jets are restructuring Rhodes and Pace. will now be 37 million under cap!!

Jetkid94

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_clear_more_cap_room_moore.html

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Monday February 23, 2009, 3:53 PM

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerBrandon Moore was due a $7 million roster bonus next month.

The Jets continue to create salary cap room to make a run at Ravens linebackers Ray Lewis or Bart Scott -- the likely choice here is Scott -- and safety Jim Leonhard in free agency by restructuring the contracts of safety Kerry Rhodes and linebacker Calvin Pace.

According to nationalfootballpost.com, the Jets have reworked the deals of Rhodes ($4.9 million savings) and Pace ($4.7).

The moves leave the Jets roughly $37 million under the projected 2009 salary cap of $124 million, but that figure isn't official because it doesn't factor in incentives earned by players last season, which will be subtract from their current fgiure under the cap.

These latest moves by the Jets to gain cap space makes their decision to release RG Brandon Moore, which will come in the next couple of days, even more perplexing because it appears they could have easily found a way to satisfy the veteran.

Moore, who was due a $7 million roster bonus next month, was said to be open to reworking his deal. Instead, the Jets wanted to cut his salary even though he's coming off the best season of his career.

Moore, 28, has started 73 consecutive regular season games. He's the Jets' best run blocker and is entering the prime of his career. Watch the film and most of the Jets' biggest runs were to the right side behind he and tackle Damien Woody.

Don't fret for Moore, however, because he'll be one of the most sought after guards in free agency and will become a rich man. But the raw truth is the Jets invested all that time into developing Moore, a former defensive tackle, and then let him go when he's at his best.

Anyway, contrary to my previous reports, the Jets do have a replacement in mind. Don't be surprised if the Jets move Woody, a former center and guard, to right guard and plug in either Robert Turner or Wayne Hunter at right tackle.

Even so, the chemistry the Jets offensive line developed last season will suffer.

---------------

I really hope we sign Moore back, because we have well over enough money even with moore's contract.

with the 37 million, please dont spend it on ray lewis. Spend it on lewis and we can probably only get a corner and a cheap safety.

spend it on scott and we can get a top corner and leonard.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerBrandon Moore was due a $7 million roster bonus next month.

The Jets continue to create salary cap room to make a run at Ravens linebackers Ray Lewis or Bart Scott -- the likely choice here is Scott -- and safety Jim Leonhard in free agency by restructuring the contracts of safety Kerry Rhodes and linebacker Calvin Pace.

According to nationalfootballpost.com, the Jets have reworked the deals of Rhodes ($4.9 million savings) and Pace ($4.7).

The moves leave the Jets roughly $37 million under the projected 2009 salary cap of $124 million, but that figure isn't official because it doesn't factor in incentives earned by players last season, which will be subtract from their current fgiure under the cap.

These latest moves by the Jets to gain cap space makes their decision to release RG Brandon Moore, which will come in the next couple of days, even more perplexing because it appears they could have easily found a way to satisfy the veteran.

Moore, who was due a $7 million roster bonus next month, was said to be open to reworking his deal. Instead, the Jets wanted to cut his salary even though he's coming off the best season of his career.

Moore, 28, has started 73 consecutive regular season games. He's the Jets' best run blocker and is entering the prime of his career. Watch the film and most of the Jets' biggest runs were to the right side behind he and tackle Damien Woody.

Don't fret for Moore, however, because he'll be one of the most sought after guards in free agency and will become a rich man. But the raw truth is the Jets invested all that time into developing Moore, a former defensive tackle, and then let him go when he's at his best.

Anyway, contrary to my previous reports, the Jets do have a replacement in mind. Don't be surprised if the Jets move Woody, a former center and guard, to right guard and plug in either Robert Turner or Wayne Hunter at right tackle.

Even so, the chemistry the Jets offensive line developed last season will suffer.

---------------

I really hope we sign Moore back, because we have well over enough money even with moore's contract.

with the 37 million, please dont spend it on ray lewis. Spend it on lewis and we can probably only get a corner and a cheap safety.

The difference between Lewis' contract and Scott's probably won't be enough to stop us from going after whatever caliber CB we want.

Lewis has been said to be looking for roughly a 3 year contract with $9 million per year. Even though Scott's contract will be for a few extra years, I doubt the difference in the contracts will stop us from making other splashes in FA.

---------------

Thats some good news. Good to see those guys are fine with taking pay cuts.

Thanks Kerry and Calvin! They know that a little less money might bring in some studs and they are willing to do that for the defense!!!

I dont want to derail that thread, but why all of a sudden is Moore talked about like he is the best gaurd in the game? Because we are about to cut him? What if we resigned him, would everyone spin it to be a bad decision? It really seems that way sometimes.

Eventhough I do agree it would be silly to cut him right when he was playing his best...but we dont know what is going on behind closed doors.

Turner is our replacement for Woody? Turner barely got drafted and didn't we try this with Clarke a year ago? Enough with the musical chairs, get moore signed and have a dominating line.

Oh yeah, tell schotty to stop being and idiot and get out of shotgun on 3rd and short. I still can't believe we kept that bum.

Mike Tannenbaum is an absolute idiot if he thinks Turner or Hunter is a viable option at RT.

Cutting Moore makes zero sense with all this cap space. Jets take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. This is a self inflicted wound.

Thanks Kerry and Calvin! They know that a little less money might bring in some studs and they are willing to do that for the defense!!!

I dont want to derail that thread, but why all of a sudden is Moore talked about like he is the best gaurd in the game? Because we are about to cut him? What if we resigned him, would everyone spin it to be a bad decision? It really seems that way sometimes.

Eventhough I do agree it would be silly to cut him right when he was playing his best...but we dont know what is going on behind closed doors.

Less money? What are you smoking?

wtf

seriously, wtf

please bring in a FA or draft a guy on day 1

RT is a very important spot

It's not that Moore is thought to be the best guard in the game.

The problem is that it's not obvious that the Jets are making this move for pure financial reason and lack a viable option to replace Moore.

Further, the Jets can't claim that they care about continuity (retaining Mini Schott) and then mess with the Oline after 1 year.

The Jets can keep this unit together and it's in the best interest of the team on the field. Cutting Moore is not a football decision because it makes the team worse.

wtf

seriously, wtf

please bring in a FA or draft a guy on day 1

RT is a very important spot

Kellen clemens iz Xperianced behind teh swiss cheez line

Kellen clemens iz Xperianced behind teh swiss cheez line

It reminds me of my son swallowing a marble last month (scared the **** out of us and we had to wait till he passed through his system). He'd do 5 intelligent things and we'd say, "Man, this kid is really smart." Then he'd do 1 incredibly stupid thing to remind us we have to save up for college if he's not getting an athletic scholarship.

Tannenbaum does a series of smart things and we say, "Mike T is doing a very good job," and then he does an incredibly stupid thing like the Kendall fiasco, no Plan B for Curtis, this Moore situation, and we start to seriously wonder.

The bottom line is that no matter how you spin it, cutting Moore is indefensible if the Jets seriously believe that Turner and Hunter are viable replacements.

1)If they're only now restructuring Pace/Rhodes, we were all wrong to assume thats what they originally did to get under the cap before Favre retired and every outlet which reported us to be in "cap hell" were completely talking out of their asses.

2)If were gonna be that far under and can easily afford Moore, it makes absolutely no sense. Once again, Hutchinson is the only one seemingly reporting this. Its entirely possible he got some bad info and refuses to pull off on the story. Not saying its not true, but I definitely don't think its as definite as he's been making it seem, especially with almost $30M in space (taking out the savings asssumed by cutting Moore).

There's no chance we're 37M under. I'm 99.9% certain Hutch has it wrong

The more I think about it, the more likely it is I think Hutch is wrong here. When we were first reported to be at $18M under, someone posted the numbers from Jason's cap page and the restructuring of Pace/Rhodes and the subsequent savings fit perfectly. Odds are it already happened and factored into those original numbers, but since Hutch is only now actually getting word of it, he's adding the savings in a 2nd time.

I still don't necessarily believe we'll be cutting Moore, especially if he is willing to restructure too.

Stacey Andrews would be a good addition if we slide woody over.

The Jets are not cutting Brandon Moore to spend more money on the offensive line. The Jets are cutting Brandon Moore because they want to slide in one of the scrubs on the bench or draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round to go in there. The Jets have spent a fortune on Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and most likely they know after next year they will be spending a fortune to retain Nick Mangold for the next 7 years. They just dont want to invest more in that line.

The Jets are not cutting Brandon Moore to spend more money on the offensive line. The Jets are cutting Brandon Moore because they want to slide in one of the scrubs on the bench or draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round to go in there. The Jets have spent a fortune on Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and most likely they know after next year they will be spending a fortune to retain Nick Mangold for the next 7 years. They just dont want to invest more in that line.

I just wonder, Jason, why don't the Jets just bite the bullet this year and cut Moore in 2010?

Nor should they invest more, convert moore to a SB or just pay him a signing bonus,. draft a guard in the 3rd/4th and be done with it..

Is there still a cap next year?

2556686057_8335c50a9f.jpg?v=0

It reminds me of my son swallowing a marble last month (scared the **** out of us and we had to wait till he passed through his system). He'd do 5 intelligent things and we'd say, "Man, this kid is really smart." Then he'd do 1 incredibly stupid thing to remind us we have to save up for college if he's not getting an athletic scholarship.

Tannenbaum does a series of smart things and we say, "Mike T is doing a very good job," and then he does an incredibly stupid thing like the Kendall fiasco, no Plan B for Curtis, this Moore situation, and we start to seriously wonder.

The bottom line is that no matter how you spin it, cutting Moore is indefensible if the Jets seriously believe that Turner and Hunter are viable replacements.

Stacey Andrews would be a good addition if we slide woody over.

we aint spendin no money on him

Its the thought that matters.

u like fat gurls tho

1)If they're only now restructuring Pace/Rhodes, we were all wrong to assume thats what they originally did to get under the cap before Favre retired and every outlet which reported us to be in "cap hell" were completely talking out of their asses.

2)If were gonna be that far under and can easily afford Moore, it makes absolutely no sense. Once again, Hutchinson is the only one seemingly reporting this. Its entirely possible he got some bad info and refuses to pull off on the story. Not saying its not true, but I definitely don't think its as definite as he's been making it seem, especially with almost $30M in space (taking out the savings asssumed by cutting Moore).

There's no chance we're 37M under. I'm 99.9% certain Hutch has it wrong

me 2. ur kids r beautiful.

The more I think about it, the more likely it is I think Hutch is wrong here. When we were first reported to be at $18M under, someone posted the numbers from Jason's cap page and the restructuring of Pace/Rhodes and the subsequent savings fit perfectly. Odds are it already happened and factored into those original numbers, but since Hutch is only now actually getting word of it, he's adding the savings in a 2nd time.

I still don't necessarily believe we'll be cutting Moore, especially if he is willing to restructure too.

WAT I SAID. u know whats up.

I just wonder, Jason, why don't the Jets just bite the bullet this year and cut Moore in 2010?

stop copying jason

Nor should they invest more, convert moore to a SB or just pay him a signing bonus,. draft a guard in the 3rd/4th and be done with it..

u too

no its uncapped

/end of thread

There is no way we are 37 M under the cap.

Regardless, we are in fine shape, and there is no need to cut Moore. His cap hit shouldn't be an issue this season unless we are planning on bringing in a FEW high priced free agents in the next few weeks.

It is possible..., with Moore gone it was in the mid 20's with no restructures...

Not to mention nobody knows what the cap will be yet... might be 124 million... might be 130...

They have not cut Moore yet... and it is purely speculation at this point... I hope they dont...

If you put a gun to my head Id say there will be one, though right now its uncapped. Other than a few teams and a few players I think most will be afraid to have a season without one. Players will lose their free agency status which means if you were not drafted in the first round you are probably going to miss out on a huge payday. Kerry Rhodes got a massive payday because he was going to be a free agent. Leon Washington wont (or at least shouldnt) because he wont be an unrestricted free agent until 2011 with no cap in place. For a RB that kills your value. Likewise most of the bottom teams, other than the Bills and Bengals, dont want the Redskins and Cowboys to be able to spend 250 million a year.

How do you know?

The restructures are what got us to 17 M under the cap in the first place. How else do you think we got there?

Barrett

Favre

Bowens

Baker

Kassell

All cut... thats what got the 17+ million.... not restructures....

Moore would put it into the low to mid 20's if cut still with no restructures... add in the resturctures and your pretty much there...

I think it just comes down to money. The Jets dont want to spend more on the offensive line even if its just for two years, which it what it would be for if the Jets paid him his bonus money. At worst Moore brings the Jets cap down to 13 million if my numbers are right and he could be cut without cap penalty in 2011. That's more than enough money to work with for the year.

I think it just comes down to money. The Jets dont want to spend more on the offensive line even if its just for two years, which it what it would be for if the Jets paid him his bonus money. At worst Moore brings the Jets cap down to 13 million if my numbers are right and he could be cut without cap penalty in 2011. That's more than enough money to work with for the year.

He saves them 6 million...

Money is not the issue... they would spend at least half of that on a player that would not even be half as good...

Also it is speculation at this point... nothing more... the same guys that thought Favre might come back...

Barrett

Favre

Bowens

Baker

Kassell

All cut... thats what got the 17+ million.... not restructures....

Moore would put it into the low to mid 20's if cut still with no restructures... add in the resturctures and your pretty much there...

We had one of the worst cap situations in the league...somewhere around 20 M over. From everything I read, it seems like the restructures played a part in us getting to 17 M under. We're talking about a $35+ M swing, it's going to take more than Favre retiring and a few mid level roster cuts to make that happen.

Archived