Jets Have Man In Place To Take Over For Coles

SoFlaJets

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Feb 26, 2009

Replacements don't always have to come from other places.

With the departure of wide receiver Laveranues Coles to free agency, the Jets now must find a replacement in the starting lineup.

No, they don't need to sign T.J. Housmanzadeh, or trade for Anquan Boldin, or reach for a wide receiver in the first round (unless Michael Crabree slips to them).

They have Coles' replacement already on the roster, and his name is Chansi Stuckey.

He's ready for primetime. Everytime this cat gets a chance to play, he makes something happen.

He has very good hands hands, terrific quickness and is excellent at running after the catch.

And he's also very smart.

It's Stuckey's time for more PT.

Granted, the Jets should sign a tall free agent wide receiver, like Drew Bennett or Malcolm Floyd, both 6-5.

But those signings shouldn't be with an automatic starting job in mind.

Stuckey should be the leading candidate for that spot.

Did Dan Leberfeld just use the word "cat" to describe Chansi? What a joke Leberfeld is. Total joke.

Everytime Chansi gets the chance to play? Yes in 2008 the Jets just held him back. Sure he was on I.R. but the Jets should put that cat on the field, Injured Reserve list and all.

If I never read another Leberfeld article, it will be too soon.

Did Dan Leberfeld just use the word "cat" to describe Chansi? What a joke Leberfeld is. Total joke.

Everytime Chansi gets the chance to play? Yes in 2008 the Jets just held him back. Sure he was on I.R. but the Jets should put that cat on the field, Injured Reserve list and all.

#-o There goes the Leberfeld chat... ;)

so we can figure you'll NOT be re-upping your JC subscription this year Max?

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Feb 26, 2009

With the departure of wide receiver Laveranues Coles to free agency, the Jets now must find a replacement in the starting lineup.

No, they don't need to sign T.J. Housmanzadeh, or trade for Anquan Boldin, or reach for a wide receiver in the first round (unless Michael Crabree slips to them).

They have Coles' replacement already on the roster, and his name is Chansi Stuckey.

He's ready for primetime. Everytime this cat gets a chance to play, he makes something happen.

He has very good hands hands, terrific quickness and is excellent at running after the catch.

Granted, the Jets should sign a tall free agent wide receiver, like Drew Bennett or Malcolm Floyd, both 6-5.

How about Clowney? We've seen him get one ball thrown to him in reg season and he made a great catch, and he played great in preseason.

(I notice playing lights out in preseason means nothing, why have it. The starters don't play and it matters not what anyone else does because they are playing against "truck drivers and cashiers")

How about Clowney? We've seen him get one ball thrown to him in reg season and he made a great catch, and he played great in preseason.

(I notice playing lights out in preseason means nothing, why have it. The starters don't play and it matters not what anyone else does because they are playing against "truck drivers and cashiers")

Clowney & Ratliff are Preseason hero's, nothing more. Although I will say I have 10x the amount of hope for Clowney than I do Ratliff, I think maybe he could become something eventually.

was it Leberfield who said Clowney's downside was his hands, when he was 1 for 1 in regular season with a GREAT catch! or one of the other idiots, i think Cimini.

Clowney & Ratliff are Preseason hero's, nothing more. Although I will say I have 10x the amount of hope for Clowney than I do Ratliff, I think maybe he could become something eventually.

that's what i mean, Why play preseason? If you are FANTASTIC in preseason all you are is a "preseason hero"

what's the point? I thought it was to evaluate the other 30 guys and from those other 30, good players emerge.

This is all fundamental. I don't have to google every late draft pick or UFA that has had a nice NFL career. I don't have to start with the Brady,Terrell Davis list, it's boring, but if preseason means nothing, why have it?

and what "type" of hero is Clemens?

We're not going to have a good offense with the WRs we have now. I love the youth we got but we need someone who we can depend on.

I just do not think he is very sturdy. He seems to have nice hands, can YAC it up, but can he consistently get open against top corners? I see him as a slot, just like Cotchery. If I am the Jets, I sign a starter, he does not have to be Superman, unless Superman is available. And I draft a good/possibly special one.

If i remember correctly, and i like to think that i am, becuase he is an RFA, we can match any offer that he's given. The fact that he's seen only a handful of plays in the last two years, I doubt he'll be getting any significant offer. If a team does sign him, i think they have to compensate us with some sort of pick, not sure though. So, i feel as our FO is probably getting the UFA's done first and will tend to clowney when they can.

I'd say Clowney get some offers. Some scouts watch preseason, even though it's meaningless. And if they don't, then the only tape they have of him is a great catch to keep a drive alive.

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Feb 26, 2009

I would say all credibility out the window, BUT he had none to begin with (Leberfeld)

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Feb 26, 2009

I think thats wishful thinking and as much as I would love to be proven wrong I don't think that it would be in the Jets interest to gamble on Stuckey being that good.

Percy Harvin in round 1! this guy is a burner and could be used in a variety of different ways which would be a godsend to get rid of brad smith and send him to coach mangini where he belongs.

Archived