Jets re-sign Feely to one-year deal

BF4LC87

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/04/feely.signs.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

Jets, Feely agree on 1-year deal

textsize.gif

textsize_plus_d.giftextsize_plus_l.gif

advertisement_down.gif

;spt=football_nfl;dcove=d;sz=300x250;?

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Jets have agreed to terms with kicker Jay Feely on a one-year deal, a person familiar with the contract told The Associated Press.

Feely, who became the Jets' kicker last season when Mike Nugent was injured in the season opener at Miami, returned to New York on Wednesday with a contract that is fully guaranteed, said the person who requested anonymity because the team hadn't announced the deal.

The 32-year-old Feely went 24-of-28 on field-goal attempts, including 2-for-2 from 50 yards or longer, for New York last season, his eighth in the NFL.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Feely was 24 of 28, missing mostly from close range and had countless come close to missing as well. He hit his final 14 FG's of the season, yay! Guess what? Mike Nugent hit 19 in a row once.

Feely is a downgrade and when we're going to have to win a lot of 13-10 games because of the way Rex says we're going to play, I have zero confidence in him making a kick for us. Zero.

Good to see its a one year deal so hopefully they will bring in some sort of competition and he can be released if we stumble upon someone better.

Feely was 24 of 28, missing mostly from close range and had countless come close to missing as well. He hit his final 14 FG's of the season, yay! Guess what? Mike Nugent hit 19 in a row once.

Feely is a downgrade and when we're going to have to win a lot of 13-10 games because of the way Rex says we're going to play, I have zero confidence in him making a kick for us. Zero.

Good to see its a one year deal so hopefully they will bring in some sort of competition and he can be released if we stumble upon someone better.

Come close to missing? That means absolutely nothing.

Yes it does. I'd rather have a kicker who the majority of the time can kick it straight down the center, or within a foot or two. Feely almost everytime is right next to the freakin' goalpost.

I can't wait until he blows meaningful games for us (when the score is within 3 or tied) just like he did for the Giants. :cussing:

Yes it does. I'd rather have a kicker who the majority of the time can kick it straight down the center, or within a foot or two. Feely almost everytime is right next to the freakin' goalpost.

I can't wait until he blows meaningful games for us (when the score is within 3 or tied) just like he did for the Giants. :cussing:

Your all alone in that club...

Not true

"Came close to missing" kicks actually means "making kicks".

Feely wasn't exactly my first choice, but when Nugent decided he didn't want to come back, Feely was clearly our best option.

cant say im thrilled. i wasnt as in love with the Nuge and 124 was but i definitly prefered him.

Simply put..

55 yds, at sea level, needed to tie the game...... on the road..

Does Nugent even reach the end line? (Feely makes the kick)

Not true

"Came close to missing" kicks actually means "making kicks".

Feely wasn't exactly my first choice, but when Nugent decided he didn't want to come back, Feely was clearly our best option.

What I was saying was that it doesn't matter at all how you do it as long as you make them. I don't care if it was 24 wounded ducks that hit the goalpost each time as long as they make it. You don't get style points for hitting it down the middle.

If he starts missing, than you have a problem.

Simply put..

55 yds, at sea level, needed to tie the game...... on the road..

Does Nugent even reach the end line? (Feely makes the kick)

Good for him. Feely made a kick in Seattle, FOR ONCE.

I guess after 1000 misses in that stadium, you've got to hit one once in a while.

Feely, who became the Jets' kicker last season when Mike Nugent was injured in the season opener at Miami, returned to New York on Wednesday with a contract that is fully guaranteed, said the person who requested anonymity because the team hadn't announced the deal.

likely the jets will draft a Kicker in the late rounds, more likely they pick up a free agent rookie

Having guaranteed Feely's contract, I'd say that drafting a kicker is highly unlikely (thank God!). An undrafted leg will probably be brought in for camp, though.

This post is wide right.

likely the jets will draft a Kicker in the late rounds, more likely they pick up a free agent rookie

is not gonna happen. I didn't like Nuge as a #2 pick (which was actually our #1 that year) and thought the came on real slow. Yes, he hit 19 in a row at one point. but I still thought he was an average kicker, I was also dissapointed in his kickoffs.

what possible reason could you have to be waiting for this? so you could say "i told you so"? sorry.....but that just straight up stupid.

At least we know our kicker will make his XP's.

If our offense doesn't move the ball well, we could be looking at some long FG's. Not exactly Nugent's strong suit.

Last seasons with the Jets on KO's:

Nugent: 61 yds avg kick; 25 avg return. Net avg = 36 yds

Feely: 63 yds avg kick; 22 avg return. Net avg = 41 yds

40+ yards:

2007 Nugent = 7/12

2008 Feely = 6/7

After the week 4 bye, Feely was 20/22 (including 50+ yarders). Plenty good enough.

2007: Nugent missed a FG in 7 different games. Eff-him.

He misses four kicks all year, and 124 bitches about it.

Extra points were an adventure with Nugent. He was John Hall with a ****ty leg.

:rl:

Yeah, you have to have a ****ty leg to make 58 yarders in the hardest stadium to kick in the NFL.

Nugent & Feely have both missed two PAT's. Yes Feely's career is longer, but whose to say he doesn't go on a streak like Feely's?

All of you are ****ed in the head if you think Jay Feely is solid or a reliable kicker. Yeah, good luck with that. We arn't beating anyone 30-3, this is going to be a team that wins 13-10, 16-14 type games.

Yeah, Go Feely.

I'd rather have Doug Brien out there.

Are you even a Jets fan?

Aside from that Pittsburgh playoff game, Doug Brien was a pretty solid kicker here.

What? Is it a sin to say so or even bring up his name?

Why? Because Chad Pennington couldn't put up more than 3 points of offense?

Aside from that Pittsburgh playoff game, Doug Brien was a pretty solid kicker here.

What? Is it a sin to say so or even bring up his name?

Yes. Yes it is.

Why? Because Chad Pennington couldn't put up more than 3 points of offense?

And you act as if I ever defended Pennington. He had a lot of blame to go to, but that doesn't absolve Doug Brien.

Archived