SCHILLING; MOOSE: HOF or no?

Blackout

HOF?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. HOF?

I voted for neither, but in reality both will probably get in. Schilling for his postseason resume and Mussina for his W-L record. The writers might take into account that they pitched during the "steroids era" as well.

I don't think they should get in because they were never considered to be the best pitcher in baseball during this era. Only the best should be in the HOF.

In theory a player should get only one chance to get into the HOF. Either you are a HOF'er or you're not.

I don't think they should get in because they were never considered to be the best pitcher in baseball during this era. Only the best should be in the HOF.

In theory a player should get only one chance to get into the HOF. Either you are a HOF'er or you're not.

Don Sutton pitched 23 years in the Majors.

You'd have to look hard to find a year when Sutton was the best pitcher on his own team, let alone in all of baseball.

Don Sutton is in the HOF.

Schilling and Mussina will be too.

You'd have to look hard to find a year when Sutton was the best pitcher on his own team, let alone in all of baseball.

I agree. I'm old enough to remember most of Kirby Puckett's career and there is no way he should be in the HOF. He was a good player who had some big moments in the playoffs, but I never thought he was one of the best players in baseball. His numbers are on par with Bernie Williams. Bernie might be my favorite alltime player, but he's not a HOF'er.

Don Sutton doesn't belong in BUT he did win 300 games which Mussina did not. Mussina had a nice career, he shoulnd't be in the Hall. Schilling helped end the yankee dynasty and end an 86 year WS title drought. He did the impossible. He belongs.

I agree. I'm old enough to remember most of Kirby Puckett's career and there is no way he should be in the HOF. He was a good player who had some big moments in the playoffs, but I never thought he was one of the best players in baseball. His numbers are on par with Bernie Williams. Bernie might be my favorite alltime player, but he's not a HOF'er.

Kirby was always one of the best players in baseball. His #s aren't eye popping b/c his career was cut short by injury. His #s were very similat to mattingly's, Mattingly doesn't get the benefit b/c he played through injuries which dragged #s down and he didn't win while kirby helped lead Minny to 2 titles.

Bernie's #s will look better but Bernie played in an offensive era.

It is hard for me to overlook Schilling's post season numbers which were dominant. He was a really good pitcher who for a stretch was one of the best of his ERA.

Mussina is going to be an interesting case. I think you will see fewer and fewer pitchers get to the magic 300 wins plateau. I don't think he was one of the best pitchers of his ERA but 270 wins and 7 gold gloves are hard to overlook.

It might take a couple of tries but Moose will get in.

Never one of the best players in baseball? He finished top 3 in MVP voting 3 times, was a 10-time All Star, won a batting title and finished top 4 four times, led the league in RBI's in '94, outstanding centerfielder, etc. etc.

Puckett belongs.

I went with both.

I have already argued for Schilling.

Moose is an interesting case. He was consistently in the Top 5 or 10 in ERA, wins, Cy Young voting, Ks, IP, CG and shutouts. Plus, he has 270 wins.

He is almost the pitching version of Jim Rice.

Don Sutton doesn't belong in BUT he did win 300 games which Mussina did not. Mussina had a nice career, he shoulnd't be in the Hall.

But it took Sutton 23 years to do it..and along the way he lost 256 games. (+68)

Sutton's average year was 14-11.

Mussina's was 17-9. (+117)

And Sutton pitched his career in a pitcher's era in the NL and the days of the 4 man rotation. In fact, it took him 756 starts to win those 324 games (less than 43%).

Mussina pitched in a hitters (steroid) era, in the AL East, in the era of 5 man rotations and much greater bullpen reliance. He has a winning % of .638 (vs Sutton's .559) and Sutton won 54 more games, but it took 220 more starts.

As time goes on (post Randy Johnson), we may never see another 300 game winner in baseball.

Over the next 20 years, Mussina's 270 wins will look better and better.

He's a better pitcher than Sutton and he will eventually get in. JMO

I went with both.

I have already argued for Schilling.

Moose is an interesting case. He was consistently in the Top 5 or 10 in ERA, wins, Cy Young voting, Ks, IP, CG and shutouts. Plus, he has 270 wins.

He is almost the pitching version of Jim Rice.

That and he was Mr. AL East. I will always hold that out for Moose. He pitched his entire career when the AL East was ALWAYS the beast. I'm a die hard yankee fan and I can't decide on Moose cause I feel my bias getting in the way. Personally, I think he should. As for Schilling IMO he should get in, his post-season #'s are just too good.

You can point to Sutton' entry as to when the writers lost their minds. Schilling and Mussina are both superior to him,a nd not by a little.

Archived