Sox close to signing Lackey?

Lil Bit Special

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/12/report_lackey_t.html

The Red Sox are moving close to a deal with free agent starting pitcher John Lackey according to a report by FoxSports' Ken Rosenthal, who confirmed an earlier Twitter report by Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.

Lackey took a physical with the Red Sox this morning, which could be a precursor to his signing.

Signing the 31-year-old righthander would be in line with Theo Epstein saying he would look to improve the team in ways beyond adding offense.

A rotation of Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, Lackey, Daisuke Matsuzaka and either Clay Buchholz or Tim Wakefield would be better than what the Yankees have right now in CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Andy Pettitte, TBA, TBA.

The deal, if there is one, also could be precursor to Buchholz being made available via trade. The Adrian Gonzalez drums will beat louder now.

Lackey was said to seeing a Burnett-type deal. The Yankees gave him five years and $82.5 million last winter. Lackey 31, is 102-71 in his carer with a 3.81 ERA.

He is a low-maintenance "I want the ball" type of starter who missed roughly five starts last season with assorted issues, including a sore elbow that shelved him at the start of the season.

But he was sharp in the playoffs, allowing five earned runs on 19 hits over 19.2 innings while striking out 14.

He was the winning pitcher in Game 7 of the 2002 World Series during his rookie season, and according to baseball-reference.com, the pitcher he is most similar to in baseball history is none other than Beckett.

He has struggled in his career at Fenway, for what it's worth, going 2-5 with a 5.75 ERA in nine starts. But that was against the Red Sox.

UPDATE, 1:46 p.m.: The most interesting aspect of this deal could be the impact it has on teams interesting in trading for Roy Halladay. Signing Lackey also helps protect the Red Sox in the event Beckett leaves as a free agent following the 2010 season.

I saw a lot of Lackey last season, covering three Angels-Yankees series during the regular season and both playoffs series the Angels were in. He's not the most elegant starter you'll ever see, but he keeps his teams in games and the Angels loved playing behind him. This move would hurt the Angels badly.

UPDATE, 2:09 p.m.: George King of the Post suggests that Lackey going to Boston will decrease the desire for the Yankees to chase Roy Halladay.

King believes the Yankees were motivated to keep Halladay away from the Red Sox, much as was the case with Johan Santana. But look for the Angels to make a deal Halladay.

A rotation of Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, Lackey, Daisuke Matsuzaka and either Clay Buchholz or Tim Wakefield would be better than what the Yankees have right now in CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Andy Pettitte, TBA, TBA.

Would it? I know this is a Boston article but you think they should see who the Yankees are running out there on the 4th and 5th days? lol.

Best rotation in baseball

With the addition of Gonzalez, the Sawx will be the team to beat

Man GTFOH, the Sox can have all the pitching they want, but if they have noone to hit they will continue to blow. The Yankees are the team to beat until someone usurps them.

What about the moron Phillies getting rid of Cliff Lee for Halladay...How much you wanna bet the Yanks will swing a trade with the Mariners and aquire Lee?

The Red Sox will have a great rotation. But, unless they get some big bats, they're gonna lose a lot of 2-1 games next year.

Exactly.

Still the Redsox have a helluva rotation now. Becket and Lackey back to back is awesome.

They pretty much have 3 aces by today's pitching standards.

Yeah that's pretty insane. But they have other issues. Who's gonna play 3rd base now that they got rid of Lowell? Why is Varitek still on the team when they have Martinez and some other catcher schmuck they just acquired? Bay is back, that's good news, but Ortiz is all but done. They still dont have enough bats to seriously challenge the Yankees.

All 4 Sawx top 4 guys are at LEAST $85 million

Beckett....More

Matsusuck.....More plus cost to get her

Lester.....Gonna get paid BIG$$$

Old Man Lackey.....$85 mill

Nice to have resources

Clueless as always JonE. Dice-K got 52 million over 6 years. Beckett signed a 3 year 30 million dollar deal with a team option for 2010. Lester signed a 5 years 30 million dollar deal with a team option in 2014.

Lackey is the only one who got paid 85 million and he's not an old man. He's younger than Burnett.

Some day you'll know what you're talking about.

Clueless as always JonE. Dice-K got 52 million over 6 years. Beckett signed a 3 year 30 million dollar deal with a team option for 2010. Lester signed a 5 years 30 million dollar deal with a team option in 2014.

Lackey is the only one who got paid 85 million and he's not an old man. He's younger than Burnett.

Some day you'll know what you're talking about.

1. You're not getting a disc with Becks again

2. Matsusucka the Sawx paid an obscene amount just to talk to him

3. Lester is a douche if he took that deal

4. Lackey is a shoulder surgery in waiting

And what I am sure about is that the Yankees are 2009 World Champs

The Sawx.....still golfing

1. You're not getting a disc with Becks again

2. Matsusucka the Sawx paid an obscene amount just to talk to him

3. Lester is a douche if he took that deal

4. Lackey is a shoulder surgery in waiting

And what I am sure about is that the Yankees are 2009 World Champs

The Sawx.....still golfing

Wow. Just wow. Lester is a douche for having his arbitration years bought out and making money while he can? There are a lot of douches in the major leagues then.

Why is Lackey a shoulder surgery in waiting? I doubt the Sox make an 85 million dollar investment into that. He's a good pitcher who has success against the AL East and is worth every penny.

Beckett will probably get a similar contract to Lackey, sure. He deserves it, still you were wrong about his contract.

The Sox did pay a lot of money to talk to Dice-K. His contract is not out of the world though. You were talking contracts.

You complaining here is so pot and black kettle, bud.

I heard on WEEI today that they are currently working on an extension for Beckett as well. I doubt it will be wallett freindly. Buh-bye Buckholtz and Bard.

Buchholz (who the eff is Buckholtz?) might be on the move, but you never know. Bard is not going anywhere.

Beckett will probably get a similar contract to Lackey, sure. He deserves it, still you were wrong about his contract.

I heard on the radio (Heyman) that one of the reasons why the Sox signed Lackey was because they were not sure if they could re-sign Beckett to a deal after this upcoming season.

The Red Sox will have a great rotation. But, unless they get some big bats, they're gonna lose a lot of 2-1 games next year.

agreed

EVERYONE up here is loving this signing

the guy is 31 and always misses atleast a few weeks a year, and he'll be facing the AL east more

i think he'll still be a solid pitcher but he's no Roy Halladay, CC Sabathia or Cliff LEe.

Love the pitching but I CRAVE a big bat. There is no thunder in the lineup at all. None.

Sox badly need some power.

This move allows them to move Bucholz as the centerpiece for either Gonzales or Cabrera. Gonzalez will cost them more prospects as he has a pretty friendly contract for the next two years. Cabrera has a horrible contract.

Lackey has spent time on the DL the past 2 seasons with shoulder issues:sign0090:

I didn't know the elbow was part of the shoulder.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/28/sports/sp-angels-fyi28

In fact, he's been on the DL twice in his career, both times for elbow problems. Not that it's any better, but you should probably do some research before telling people to :sign0090:

I didn't know the elbow was part of the shoulder.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/28/sports/sp-angels-fyi28

In fact, he's been on the DL twice in his career, both times for elbow problems. Not that it's any better, but you should probably do some research before telling people to :sign0090:

Thanks for the clarification douchnozzzle

Nevertheless, you got damaged goods signed for 5 years

Best of luck with that

Thanks for the clarification douchnozzzle

Nevertheless, you got damaged goods signed for 5 years

Best of luck with that

You **** up by posting about something that you have idea of, yet I'm the douchenozzle. I love JonE world. I think that's a place I'd like to visit.

You want to see damaged goods? Check out Burnett's injury history.

Archived