Chris Baker Released

SMC

Patriots release Chris Baker

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 4, 2010 4:16 PM ET

The New England Patriots announced today that they've released tight end Chris Baker.

Baker signed with the Patriots as a free agent a year ago, and he played in all 16 regular-season games, starting seven, in 2009. He finished the season with 14 catches for 142 yards and two touchdowns.

Prior to signing with the Patriots, Baker spent seven seasons with the New York Jets.

Baker is now an unrestricted free agent who can sign with any team. At age 30, and having seen his catches and yards decrease in each of the lat two seasons, he probably won't have a wealth of offers.

Link

He'd be a good signing IMO

Front office is 2/2 on letting guys walk in 2009.

Coles, now Baker.

Finally someone in the Jets FO learned not to pay salaries to the downside of careers.

I would bring him in on the cheap...have to look at it...we could use a TE who can block...he isnt the best blocker, but he can manage...great hands too...sure beats Hartsock...

Wait wait wait wait. I thought it was a HUUUUGGEEE mistake that the Jets would ulitmately regret by releasing Baker and ultimately letting him sign with a division rival.

Baker is one of those players that was at best just above a JAG that became a "future hall of famer" the second he got into a contract dispute with the Jets in 2008.

Front office is 2/2 on letting guys walk in 2009.

Coles, now Baker.

Finally someone in the Jets FO learned not to pay salaries to the downside of careers.

+1

That said, I'd bring Baker back as the 2nd TE. He's an upgrade over Hartsock (UFA).

+1

That said, I'd bring Baker back as the 2nd TE. He's an upgrade over Hartsock (UFA).

+ another 1

He's a nice all around player, and the Jets have nothing behind Keller. Let Baker battle it out in camp with a couple UDFA's.

Ex-NY Jets Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles are cut; Lito Sheppard to officially get axed

By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger

March 04, 2010, 5:08PM

Two old friends were released Thursday and there's a chance one of the two could be coming back home.

The Bengals released veteran WR Laveranues Coles and the Patriots jettisoned tight end Chris Baker. Neither player really wanted to leave the Jets and I think both would welcome the opportunity to finish their careers here.

I just spoke with someone close to Baker and he said that although Baker took a few shots at the organization during an ugly contract stalemate, no bridges were set ablaze and Baker wouldn't be adverse to returning to the Jets.

Baker, 30, could serve as a mentor and blocking complement to Dustin Keller.

Coles too remains a Jet at heart. At 32, he has slowed a bit but he's still a good third receiver and maybe a solid number two if someone got hurt. He was an expensive acquisition for the Bengals, who paid him $10 million last season, but he just told me he never felt comfortable in Cincinnati.

"I didn't fit into the offense at all,'' he said. "(Quarterback) Carson (Palmer) wasn't comfortable with me. He likes tall receivers. He told the coaches he wasn't comfortable throwing to me.''

Last season, Coles had 43 catches for 514 yards and five touchdowns.

"I didn't have a great year if you just look at my stats, but I think in the situation I was in, I did a pretty good job,'' he said.

Stay tuned. ...

Also, upon further review, I don't think Thomas Jones will be re-signed by the Jets. It's not totally out of the question, as I've said, but I think it's very, very unlikely it would happen.

Finally, the Jets are expected to make it official later Thursday that CB Lito Sheppard is a goner. I've been writing that since the Jets lost the AFC Championship Game to the Colts so that's hardly headline news.

Agreed. I do not think a JAG like Chris Baker can afford to burn his bridges anywhere. There's too many harsh feelings on both sides for Baker to ever re-sign with the Jets.

Chris Baker could have taken a piss on Woody Johnson's parking spot and the Jets would bring him back at the right price.

Tannenbaum is all business. If the money makes sense he'll make the deal every time.

With Baker, and Thomas Jones as well, I'd rather see some more athletic players take the slots they would occupy on the team anyway. Yes, you take the step back in terms of experience and maybe even immediate production, but you also have a better chance of taking a leap forward if you find the right younger guys to fill those positions.

Add to that neither Baker nor Jones contribute on special teams and, as back-ups, you'd ideally like to have some more versatile, athletic, useful players.

Chris Baker could have taken a piss on Woody Johnson's parking spot and the Jets would bring him back at the right price.

Tannenbaum is all business. If the money makes sense he'll make the deal every time.

The thing is that money isn't the only reason he left in the first place. We use Hunter and Turner as blocking tight ends. Do you really think Baker is even a fit for what we seem to be looking for behind Keller?

With Baker, and Thomas Jones as well, I'd rather see some more athletic players take the slots they would occupy on the team anyway. Yes, you take the step back in terms of experience and maybe even immediate production, but you also have a better chance of taking a leap forward if you find the right younger guys to fill those positions.

Add to that neither Baker nor Jones contribute on special teams and, as back-ups, you'd ideally like to have some more versatile, athletic, useful players.

Your special teams point is a keen one. You need to maximize your roster.

Baker does play on the FG unit, though, so that's a plus.

I would agree in most cases, but remember the type of fuss he was making a few years ago when he was bitching about how "underpaid" he was. This is a guy who parked his bentley in Eric Mangini's parking lot to make a statement. This is a guy who at best was above average and yet wanted to be paid like he was Tony Gonzales in his prime. How do we know that he won't do it again if he catches 20 balls?

I also don't buy this whole "he didn't burn bridges" arguments his reps are trying to give. Aside from the incident above, he pretty much admitted he emotionally distanced himself from the Jets after the dispute because he felt so poorly treated. He's only saying this now because he's on the street.

As much as Coles whined about money, he produced a lot more than Baker ever did when they were here and he also never made the grandstanding type moves that Baker did. Is grabbing a backup tight end really worth the drama that he caused over the years and could potentially cause again?

really? because Coles is tough with good hands........for an inexpensive contract i think he'd make a pretty good option as a #3/4 receiver.

these two things should never be used in the same sentence-like oil and water

Chris Baker was a downgrade from Anthony Becht who could actually block. Good hands with out speed and seperation and at best a mediocre blocker who's blocking was pumped up by Bradway to justify him not bringing Becht back. The best thing about Baker is he does have pretty good hands. To bad he can't block or get open.

Coles = Hell no.

Baker = Yes.

It is hard not to be an improvement over Ben Hartsock.

We agree again. :cheers:

Baker would be very useful on this team. I don't think they should guarantee him any big money or anything, but I was expecting the Jets to sift thru the UDFA's to find a guy better than Hartsock. They can still do that, but now they'd be looking for a get better than Baker, instead.

Not a lot of TE's out there.

Is grabbing a backup tight end really worth the drama that he caused over the years and could potentially cause again?

C'mon! If Baker comes back, he comes back humbled, understanding that he's the #2 behind Keller. There's no future drama with the guy, so the absolutely horrendous, god-forsaken act of parking in his boss's spot is very unlikely to ever be repeated.

C'mon! If Baker comes back, he comes back humbled, understanding that he's the #2 behind Keller. There's no future drama with the guy, so the absolutely horrendous, god-forsaken act of parking in his boss's spot is very unlikely to ever be repeated.

That's what we thought the last time. They let that douchebag test the FA market and he didn't get a nibble. They signed him back and he was whining about his contract and "promises" within a season. Still, it's not the contract drama that would keep me away from him, it's the age and the sucking.

Hartsock blocks about 300% better.

Archived