Coles wants to come back to the Jets

Rexecutioner

I have never seen a pro football player lose so much speed for somebody who is hardly "old" at this point and who has never suffered any serious leg injuries. He ran a 4.32 forty when he came into the NFL. I doubt if he could break 5 flat now.

Pass

Cole is finished...would rather draft someone in the later rounds to put as our #3 or #4, and breed them up like we did with Cotchery...

Coles to Miami...I'm guessing...or even NE...with Welker out most of the year, they could use someone like Coles(even though he is done)...The Pats love these types of players...Seau, Taylor, Dillon etc...an old war horse looking for one last hurrah...

Cole is finished...would rather draft someone in the later rounds to put as our #3 or #4, and breed them up like we did with Cotchery...

Coles to Miami...I'm guessing...or even NE...with Welker out most of the year, they could use someone like Coles(even though he is done)...The Pats love these types of players...Seau, Taylor, Dillon etc...an old war horse looking for one last hurrah...

Any chance you could explain this one to me? Why would any team in the NFL have any use for a player who is "done"?

I have never seen a pro football player lose so much speed for somebody who is hardly "old" at this point and who has never suffered any serious leg injuries. He ran a 4.32 forty when he came into the NFL. I doubt if he could break 5 flat now.

Pass

At his best, Coles NEVER played to that speed. Even as a youngster right out of college. I remember him getting caught from behind by a safety on the Bills not long after his alleged 4.32 forty time and I saw right away that it was all false advertising. He was good, and he was fast, but 4.32 would have made him one of the fastest WR's in the NFL, something he never was.

The Pats love these types of players...Seau, Taylor, Dillon etc...an old war horse looking for one last hurrah...

But he's an old war horse who you say is "done". Those players clearly were not "done" as you say Coles is. At least not in the mind of the Pats FO. So are you saying that you think he's done but the Pats don't?

But he's an old war horse who you say is "done". Those players clearly were not "done" as you say Coles is. At least not in the mind of the Pats FO. So are you saying that you think he's done but the Pats don't?

Nobody thought Fred Taylor was done last year?

Or after how many Seau retirements??

Everyone thought ALL THOSE GUYS WERE DONE...

But came back and had some respectable years...Seau...

Taylor finished...

Nobody thought Fred Taylor was done last year?

Or after how many Seau retirements??

Everyone thought ALL THOSE GUYS WERE DONE...

But came back and had some respectable years...Seau...

Taylor finished...

A lot of people did. The Patriots didn't which is why they signed him. That's what I'm asking. You think he's done but you think there are NFL GM's who feel he's got a little something left in the tank. Personally, I do. I think he's got enough left to contribute and I hope it's with the Jets because Coles at 50% is better than Wright/Smith/Woodhead etc....

A lot of people did. The Patriots didn't which is why they signed him. That's what I'm asking. You think he's done but you think there are NFL GM's who feel he's got a little something left in the tank. Personally, I do. I think he's got enough left to contribute and I hope it's with the Jets because Coles at 50% is better than Wright/Smith/Woodhead etc....

I'm saying...

I think he's done(in a sense of where he can fit on this team, you will see what i mean below)...I think he may be able to offer us or some team a little something...BUT...I would prefer to use a late round pick #4 or so, on a WR that we can groom just like Cotch...that is what I mean by DONE...he is done as far as what he can bring to the table for us...We would be better suited with a rookie who could give us the same, if not more than Coles...Long term, it would be in our best interests...

I'm saying...

I think he's done(in a sense of where he can fit on this team, you will see what i mean below)...I think he may be able to offer us or some team a little something...BUT...I would prefer to use a late round pick #4 or so, on a WR that we can groom just like Cotch...that is what I mean by DONE...he is done as far as what he can bring to the table for us...We would be better suited with a rookie who could give us the same, if not more than Coles...Long term, it would be in our best interests...

Gotcha. I guess we each have different opinions on what it means for a player to be "done". Te me, Marvin Jonea and Mo Lewis were done when they finished their careers with the Jets which is why they never even got a sniff from an NFL team. Coles IMO, isn't what he once was but I think he's far from done. I wouldn't be shocked if he had 3-4 more decent seasons in this league and as difficult as it is to get a rookie WR to produce, I'd like to see Coles brought in as a stop gap buy while they develop a rook.

Peolpe say he's not a slot guy but I could see Coles being just that. He's got decent quickness and excellent hands. He's also never been afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. Slim chance he winds up back with the Jets but I wouldn't mind.

Gotcha. I guess we each have different opinions on what it means for a player to be "done". Te me, Marvin Jonea and Mo Lewis were done when they finished their careers with the Jets which is why they never even got a sniff from an NFL team. Coles IMO, isn't what he once was but I think he's far from done. I wouldn't be shocked if he had 3-4 more decent seasons in this league and as difficult as it is to get a rookie WR to produce, I'd like to see Coles brought in as a stop gap buy while they develop a rook.

Peolpe say he's not a slot guy but I could see Coles being just that. He's got decent quickness and excellent hands. He's also never been afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. Slim chance he winds up back with the Jets but I wouldn't mind.

I think Coles could help a team that is young, rebuilding, looking to plug holes at WR...We are not that team...

I think Coles in the slot is a HORRIBLE idea...He isnt fast enough...but I do agree with you that he has value going across the middle, and picking up those tough yards on third down...

But

I want a burner in the slot...As much as I loved Wayne in the Slot, I always felt having a speedster could open the field a lot more(Santana Moss to me is best suited in the slot)...small guy with blazing speed...

Man, you guys take these players' careers personally.

He left last year because the coach got fired and he wanted to go to an established setup. His years in the league are dwindling-it's time for any player to play his career cards right.

I would.

That established setup didn't work out-or Carson Palmer is no longer elite-and now Coles wants to come back. I never saw Coles ever do anything but give 100% on the field, despite the bum raps against him.

He wants to sign with the Jets? Can't the team work him out first to see how much speed he has left?

I want a burner in the slot...As much as I loved Wayne in the Slot, I always felt having a speedster could open the field a lot more(Santana Moss to me is best suited in the slot)...small guy with blazing speed...

I disagree with your dream here. Burning speed is best put to use on the outside, where it can get down field. Inside, you need a guy who's shifty, not blazing fast. A guy who can get open in short space. Needs to have some strength to him, too, and needs to be able to take LB sized hits and still hold onto the ball. A guy like Moss would get killed in the slot - if his alligator arms didn't save him by getting him benched, first.

I think Coles could help a team that is young, rebuilding, looking to plug holes at WR...We are not that team...

I think Coles in the slot is a HORRIBLE idea...He isnt fast enough...but I do agree with you that he has value going across the middle, and picking up those tough yards on third down...

But

i think your idea of a slot receiver is much different than most people's...you want quickness, toughness, and great hands in the slot usually...someone who is shifty enough to pick up the first down over the middle and tough enough to ignore the lb'er who is about to demolish him and still come down with the ball and hold onto it after he gets laid out. coles has those qualities.....although hr might not be as quick as he once was. blazing speed is better utilized on the flanker.

edit: i guess slats beat me to it....but the sentiment is the same

If we could get him real cheap why not? He would be a #3 but # 4 or lower on the target list. He's certainly lost some speed and thankfully we've lost the need for his biggest attribute - battling like a street fighter for Chad's under thrown balloons. He'd probably keep his mouth shut this go around as even he would understand his low value.

i think your idea of a slot receiver is much different than most people's...you want quickness, toughness, and great hands in the slot usually...someone who is shifty enough to pick up the first down over the middle and tough enough to ignore the lb'er who is about to demolish him and still come down with the ball and hold onto it after he gets laid out. coles has those qualities.....although hr might not be as quick as he once was. blazing speed is better utilized on the flanker.

edit: i guess slats beat me to it....but the sentiment is the same

The importance of the slot WR has been unbelievably overrated on this board because of Wes white jesus Welker. The Pats throw every down, we dont.

Keller can hopefully fill the role of slot WR. That's why he was drafted.

If we could get him real cheap why not? He would be a #3 but # 4 or lower on the target list. He's certainly lost some speed and thankfully we've lost the need for his biggest attribute - battling like a street fighter for Chad's under thrown balloons. He'd probably keep his mouth shut this go around as even he would understand his low value.

:rl::rl:

Poor guy got decked so many times, fighting to catch a 2 yarder. That Zach Thomas hit was ugly a few years back.

LC is an aged veteran WR he offers nothing spectaculiar he cant play special teams and woud only be used in 3 wide sets. For the right price for old times sake why the hell not--------:confused: Hes definitely not a team leader or a locker room favorite.

LC is an aged veteran WR he offers nothing spectaculiar he cant play special teams and woud only be used in 3 wide sets. For the right price for old times sake why the hell not--------:confused: Hes definitely not a team leader or a locker room favorite.

yup...again, anybody know what's happening with Aundrae Allison these days?.

They cut Wallace Wright if im not mistaken? Not sure if LC is on the radar?

yes they did cut Max's boy Wallace-all we heard was that Coles' agent said NY would be their first call they'd make-I still say he ends up on the Fins.

They cut Wallace Wright if im not mistaken?

No, not cut. He's a RFA and the Jets opted not to place a tender on him, that's all. He could definitely be back. He's a league minimum kinda guy.

yup...again, anybody know what's happening with Aundrae Allison these days?.

yea I just checked SFJ, Allison is still on the Jets-on injured reserve

damn you KNOW it's slow on the board when you quote and then answer your own post...

Archived