Our Draft Day #1 hinges on Jayson Taylor

Jets1Fan

If he signs, then Leon Washington will be a pre-day or in-draft trade along with #29 (plus some other picks, I trust Tanny will be smart about that) in order to trade up and select Eric Berry and solidify this D with the young exceedingly-talented and smash-mouth free safety from Tennessee. Then select an RB, WR, DE/OLB, CB with our remaining picks.

OR

Jayson Taylor does not sign, Leon Washington stays a Jet. We stay at #29 to draft the best available Defensive Linemen, one that Rex might not even want to step in right away. Carlos Dunlap will be available, a renowned risky pick, maybe not at #29 though. Brian Price may still be on the board. Earl Thomas could drop, but most likely will at latest go to Houston at 20.

A sub-scenario of the one directly above is to trade up and select Brandon Graham.

Would you be happy with either of these taking place on Draft Night!?!?!?!

WOOOOHOOO CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

I think we gotta trade up for Brandon Graham.

That wll be tough too unfortunately. He's a top 5 defensive player in the draft.

My list would be

1.Berry

2.Suh

3.Mccoy

4.Graham

5. Haden

But Tanny has done it before so you never know.

Id also be tempted to put Graham above Mccoy and maybe even Suh.

If JT signs, we have multiple ways to go...if not, we need a pass rusher in a big way...forget about a CB, S, etc. We need to get to the QB!!! Damn, VG...his slow progress or lack there of has hurt this team getting to the QB.

No Taylor, I'm putting Sergio Kindle as a need.

Here's a funny little potential scenario. Top 6 picks go:

1. Rams - Bradford

2. Lions - Suh

3. Bucs - McCoy

4. Redskins - Okung

5. Chiefs - Bulaga

6. Seattle- Williams

Phone rings in the Jets war room. Eric Mangini's on the other line. Says that they're interested in potentially taking Berry or Spiller, but they really want to trade down to the bottom of the first and take Colt McCoy. He knows that the Jets have a proven Spiller-style back in Leon Washington who's got come contract issues. Just wondering if the Jets would be interested to move up to #7 for Washington, 29, 61, and maybe some other BS players (Eric Smith to replace Pool? Drew Coleman as a nickel corner? Brad Smith to create the craziest Wildcat backfield ever with Josh Cribbs?) who can be choir boys for Mangini. Tannenbaum asks him to hold, tells everyone else in the war room. Laughter erupts. He says okay you have a deal, selects Berry who is an absolute monster in this defense, and the Jets own the Browns and Mangini yet again.

Given Holmgren is the GM it's actually way more realistic that they go BPA at #7 and trade up from their early second rounder to the late first (#29?) to grab McCoy, and we could pick up some extra picks. But boy would it be fun if we could do last year all over with a slight twist.

Here's a funny little potential scenario. Top 6 picks go:

1. Rams - Bradford

2. Lions - Suh

3. Bucs - McCoy

4. Redskins - Okung

5. Chiefs - Bulaga

6. Seattle- Williams

Phone rings in the Jets war room. Eric Mangini's on the other line. Says that they're interested in potentially taking Berry or Spiller, but they really want to trade down to the bottom of the first and take Colt McCoy. He knows that the Jets have a proven Spiller-style back in Leon Washington who's got come contract issues. Just wondering if the Jets would be interested to move up to #7 for Washington, 29, 61, and maybe some other BS players (Eric Smith to replace Pool? Drew Coleman as a nickel corner? Brad Smith to create the craziest Wildcat backfield ever with Josh Cribbs?) who can be choir boys for Mangini. Tannenbaum asks him to hold, tells everyone else in the war room. Laughter erupts. He says okay you have a deal, selects Berry who is an absolute monster in this defense, and the Jets own the Browns and Mangini yet again.

Given Holmgren is the GM it's actually way more realistic that they go BPA at #7 and trade up from their early second rounder to the late first (#29?) to grab McCoy, and we could pick up some extra picks. But boy would it be fun if we could do last year all over with a slight twist.

As great as Berry would be to have, I'd say no thanks. We need more, cheaper players now to fill out the roster. Our Defense is already very solid, but we need some young depth at DL and maybe another young CB that won't cost big bucks.

Mangini reaches for that phone, and Holmgren will slap him silly.

Mangini is hanging onto that job by his fingernails. Only reason he is still there is because of the winning streak at the end of the season.

Sorry if I wasn't QUITE sarcastic enough there, the only bit that was serious was the last part...I could see them trading up to #29 to grab McCoy which kind of fits in with what nycdan was talking about. The rest of it was just tongue in cheek.

So if we don't sign a situational OLB we will have to draft a DE? I don't see how any of this stuff is inter-related. The only thing that seems related is that if they don't sign Taylor they will have more of a need for Graham.

Get out of here, Jayson Taylor plays 75% of the defensive snaps if he becomes a Jet without a doubt. Thus, solving one of, and in many opinions the highest priority, the teams' needs. If this PASS RUSHER situation is taken care of even if for 1 year allows us to do anything we want when it comes to this draft.

If we neither sign Taylor, nor is it Rex & Tanny's decision to trade up and bolster our FS position THEN we will be, and correctly should be, filling our primary need of DE and find one that can be a cornerstone of the new D-Line.

Does that explain it now?

You don't have to necessarily agree, but you could at least sound less like a dick

I think it will be Washington that wants to trade out of #4 after trading Albert Haynesworth for the first-round pick of the Tennessee Titans to fall back. Thus, allowing them to trade down with the Jets and receive substantial compensation.

I guess this is why its called a THEORY

But mark my words

Rex is not going to war with Brodney Pool as our starting FS

Who would trade for Leon if he can't pass a physical yet?

A person who'd be getting the 29th pick overall, possibly a future conditional 3rd, (and possibly even more '10 picks in the later rounds) + the services of Leon Washington as a homerun threat...

I think it will be Washington that wants to trade out of #4 after trading Albert Haynesworth for the first-round pick of the Tennessee Titans to fall back. Thus, allowing them to trade down with the Jets and receive substantial compensation.

I guess this is why its called a THEORY

But mark my words

Rex is not going to war with Brodney Pool as our starting FS

Most teams are going to war without a viable NT or #1 CB. I don't think lack of Eric Berry is going to be the difference between us winning the SB or not.

If he signs, then Leon Washington will be a pre-day or in-draft trade along with #29 (plus some other picks, I trust Tanny will be smart about that) in order to trade up and select Eric Berry and solidify this D with the young exceedingly-talented and smash-mouth free safety from Tennessee. Then select an RB, WR, DE/OLB, CB with our remaining picks.

OR

Jayson Taylor does not sign, Leon Washington stays a Jet. We stay at #29 to draft the best available Defensive Linemen, one that Rex might not even want to step in right away. Carlos Dunlap will be available, a renowned risky pick, maybe not at #29 though. Brian Price may still be on the board. Earl Thomas could drop, but most likely will at latest go to Houston at 20.

A sub-scenario of the one directly above is to trade up and select Brandon Graham.

Would you be happy with either of these taking place on Draft Night!?!?!?!

WOOOOHOOO CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

I want no part of Dunlap. How do you get yourself suspended for the biggest game of the year ?

Get out of here, Jayson Taylor plays 75% of the defensive snaps if he becomes a Jet without a doubt. Thus, solving one of, and in many opinions the highest priority, the teams' needs. If this PASS RUSHER situation is taken care of even if for 1 year allows us to do anything we want when it comes to this draft.

If we neither sign Taylor, nor is it Rex & Tanny's decision to trade up and bolster our FS position THEN we will be, and correctly should be, filling our primary need of DE and find one that can be a cornerstone of the new D-Line.

Does that explain it now?

You don't have to necessarily agree, but you could at least sound less like a dick

Don't you worry about when I sound like a dick. I am a dick, why the **** shouldn't I sound like one? Taylor is an OLB. He could play 100% of the snaps and it would have no influence on our need of a DE.

PS: They had the #1 D in football in 2009, I don't see the glaring weakness that others do.

Most teams are going to war without a viable NT or #1 CB. I don't think lack of Eric Berry is going to be the difference between us winning the SB or not.

But the drafting of another rookie would?? In that case let's sign "I'm the missing piece rookie that will win you a Super Bowl Ring"?!?! Who is he and what is his price?!?! lol

Don't you worry about when I sound like a dick. I am a dick, why the **** shouldn't I sound like one? Taylor is an OLB. He could play 100% of the snaps and it would have no influence on our need of a DE.

PS: They had the #1 D in football in 2009, I don't see the glaring weakness that others do.

Correction to my comments, how bout instead of Taylor directly linking us to a DE, how bout DE/Pass Rusher, either a DE to be a pivotal future player or a guy who can rush and pressure the quarterback consistently.

I thought I had mentioned another possibility of trading up mid round to select Brandon Graham. I would HAPPILY welcome him to the JETS. I just feel that its either trade up to get Berry or whatever Rex and Tanny think are the beset available player based on our most pressing needs, I personally want a new DL, pref. DE, that will be a great 3-4 DE for years. While I see another pressing need being the edge pass rush, I think we can make up for it for another year because of the blitzing schemes that Rex uses. THat played a big part in why I wanted either a DE, if we eventually sign Taylor, bc we wouldn't necessarily need to draft that future DE. Thus, why they are related, not completely and directly, but definitely related

Wow, you guys would have to trade WAY UP to get Eric Berry. 29 to possibly in the top 5? That's a couple picks this year and probably one next.

Yeah cause we've never done it before, and immediately reaped the benefits of having done so.

I'm actually not surprised that a Pats fan is here on Jetnation and, albeit not necessarily negative, contributing. If I were a Pats fan somebody would've had to have woken me from my deep slumber after that drudging by Baltimore (AT HOME!)

Correction to my comments, how bout instead of Taylor directly linking us to a DE, how bout DE/Pass Rusher, either a DE to be a pivotal future player or a guy who can rush and pressure the quarterback consistently.

I thought I had mentioned another possibility of trading up mid round to select Brandon Graham. I would HAPPILY welcome him to the JETS. I just feel that its either trade up to get Berry or whatever Rex and Tanny think are the beset available player based on our most pressing needs, I personally want a new DL, pref. DE, that will be a great 3-4 DE for years. While I see another pressing need being the edge pass rush, I think we can make up for it for another year because of the blitzing schemes that Rex uses. THat played a big part in why I wanted either a DE, if we eventually sign Taylor, bc we wouldn't necessarily need to draft that future DE. Thus, why they are related, not completely and directly, but definitely related

If you read my original post I specifically mentioned that it might make Graham (or Kindle) more likely, but would have no bearing on DE. I don't really see how either has anything to do with wanting Berry either. Berry would be awesome to have no matter what happens. The fact is, it will probably be cost prohibitive.

If you read my original post I specifically mentioned that it might make Graham (or Kindle) more likely, but would have no bearing on DE. I don't really see how either has anything to do with wanting Berry either. Berry would be awesome to have no matter what happens. The fact is, it will probably be cost prohibitive.

Would you say it was still more cost prohibitive if I said that Washington would be my trade partner at #4 after they trade Albert Haynesworth to Tennessee for their first round pick, thus having a pick where IMHO I think they want it (mid to late 1st)??? I realize my trade up scenario is very, maybe too, contingent upon other things happening and conjecture, but:

1 Tanny & Rex's affinity (moreso Tanny probably) for targeting and getting their man regardless of losing later round picks, it also seems they like UDFA classes thus far (More Rex I think) & Rex's love for DB's

2. Injury concerns with Brodney Pool and IMHO not what Rex wants at starter at FS. No not everyone has to be a pro-bowler or whatever. But I'm not sold on Rex being completely comfortable with Pool as the starting FS.

3. My Washington Haynesworth Draft Day Trade

4. Leon Washington is, whether people want to admit it or not, trade bait. I love him when he's in uniform, but unfortunately it may not be in his cards to be able to get him the ball as much as WE ALL want.

Make me think something big is in store for us on draft day. I think they hate where they are at 29 and definitely have keyed in on exactly whom they want.

I think they will dictate this draft early on, and not let the chips fall where they may.

Missed your comment about it heightening Graham moreso. Which probably does make a little more immediate sense. My bad

Yeah cause we've never done it before, and immediately reaped the benefits of having done so.

I'm actually not surprised that a Pats fan is here on Jetnation and, albeit not necessarily negative, contributing. If I were a Pats fan somebody would've had to have woken me from my deep slumber after that drudging by Baltimore (AT HOME!)

I assume you mean with Sanchez, but I'll remind you, he is not the reason you guys did as well as you did this season. You guys made it to the playoffs despite his play at QB this season, not because of it.

Also, you can't trade up every year and expect to be succesful for years to come. It IS a gamble to trade up. Even though a guy like Berry seems like a can't miss prospect, nothing is guaranteed. So, no, I don't anticipate you guys drafting up for the second year in a row, for a FS no less.

EDIT: BTW, if you paid attention to my Sig, you'd see I'm not a Pats fan.

Would you say it was still more cost prohibitive if I said that Washington would be my trade partner at #4 after they trade Albert Haynesworth to Tennessee for their first round pick, thus having a pick where IMHO I think they want it (mid to late 1st)??? I realize my trade up scenario is very, maybe too, contingent upon other things happening and conjecture, but:

1 Tanny & Rex's affinity (moreso Tanny probably) for targeting and getting their man regardless of losing later round picks, it also seems they like UDFA classes thus far (More Rex I think) & Rex's love for DB's

2. Injury concerns with Brodney Pool and IMHO not what Rex wants at starter at FS. No not everyone has to be a pro-bowler or whatever. But I'm not sold on Rex being completely comfortable with Pool as the starting FS.

3. My Washington Haynesworth Draft Day Trade

4. Leon Washington is, whether people want to admit it or not, trade bait. I love him when he's in uniform, but unfortunately it may not be in his cards to be able to get him the ball as much as WE ALL want.

Make me think something big is in store for us on draft day. I think they hate where they are at 29 and definitely have keyed in on exactly whom they want.

I think they will dictate this draft early on, and not let the chips fall where they may.

I think they love 29. Remember Keller? Lower price, easier, long contract and they will be able to reap a potential windfall if McCoy is still around and somebody wants to move up.

I feel the same about your Leon scenario as the DE thing. I don't see Taylor having any influence. Hayneworth could have been had for #3. The Redskins gave him a $21M bonus and aren't dealing him cheap anymore. Why wouldn't the Titans have taken him then? Cheap?

I assume you mean with Sanchez, but I'll remind you, he is not the reason you guys did as well as you did this season. You guys made it to the playoffs despite his play at QB this season, not because of it.

Also, you can't trade up every year and expect to be succesful for years to come. It IS a gamble to trade up. Even though a guy like Berry seems like a can't miss prospect, nothing is guaranteed. So, no, I don't anticipate you guys drafting up for the second year in a row, for a FS no less.

EDIT: BTW, if you paid attention to my Sig, you'd see I'm not a Pats fan.

Okay apologize for the misinterpretation. I get angered mostly by Pats fans on this site, just go read about your Super Bowl victories somewhere, cause you guys are done.

So I guess you're next in line lol. But whatever, until we play, or about a week up until we play you I won't hate on the deliberately hate on the phins because I'm concentrating on my team.

Well I mean concensus around the NFL, by professional talent evaluators who know what they're talking about, not like us forum-folk, although lots of us are way more knowledgeable than given credit for, say that Berry is an absolute can't miss.

In Re: Sanchez - - - > I would advise you to look at how he performed in the Post-season statistics. That investment gave us the ability to be 20 minutes away from a Super Bowl. Obviously, close, but no cigar.

There's also a hint of me just trusting the Jets talent evaluators, I wonder what positions have changed singe the Mangini regime, but Mangold, Revis, Keller, Sanchez, Greene were all involved in draft day trades. Greene not yet proven, but evident why they traded up for him.

Who ya got the phins taking now that they got B. Marshall? I still think they may take Dez Bryant if he falls. Parcells likes guys that have chips on their shoulders...

I think they love 29. Remember Keller? Lower price, easier, long contract and they will be able to reap a potential windfall if McCoy is still around and somebody wants to move up.

I feel the same about your Leon scenario as the DE thing. I don't see Taylor having any influence. Hayneworth could have been had for #3. The Redskins gave him a $21M bonus and aren't dealing him cheap anymore. Why wouldn't the Titans have taken him then? Cheap?

They traded back into the 1st for Keller!!!

McCoy does not fall beyond Tampa Bay.

We're not seeing eye to eye on that DE thing because of our opinions on needs I think. I would like that staple 3-4 DE for the next 5-7 years, whereas I think you were suggesting an OLB to groom and get production out of.

I think Shanahan is done with Haynesworth, he's going to be avoiding offseason workouts. I think its just turned out to be a very bad investment for both sides. He loves his home, Tennessee, and seems like he wants to go back. The Titans would trade for him because of their enormous DL NEED! They really lack starters and depth at this position.

Don't count on us taking Bryant. After making Marshall the highest paid WR in the NFL, I doubt they sink a high 1st round pick on another WR whom they'll have to pay big money to, especially with Eugene Parker as his agent (Crabtree's agent)

My guess is either Morgan, McClain, Williams or Berry, if by some miracle he is still on the board, but that is unlikely IMO.

Don't count on us taking Bryant. After making Marshall the highest paid WR in the NFL, I doubt they sink a high 1st round pick on another WR whom they'll have to pay big money to, especially with Eugene Parker as his agent (Crabtree's agent)

My guess is either Morgan, McClain, Williams or Berry, if by some miracle he is still on the board, but that is unlikely IMO.

I know your in need of the NT, but at #12 Dan Williams seems like a bit of a reach. You think they will trade down? Do you want them to for that player? Do you want them to for that position?

McClain could definitely be the possibility. What about FS? other than Berry (most likely gone by #12)? Mays still there? A little bit too early for Earl Thomas...

Would you be happy with Bryant too though?

Archived