Revis's Replacment

GangisGreen

Even if he might just be the GOAT at his position? We're forgetting that CB's can be effective for a long time. Just look at Charles Woodson.

I'm also holding out hope that Revis wants championships and won't necearilly make the Jets totally break the bank. It may be a pipe dream, but then again, players LOVE playing for Rex, and that might play a role in how much we have to pay them to stay.

Rest assured Revis will get PAID. But I think he'll want to make sure its us that pays him and keeps him here.

It all boils down to value. You have to rate what the guy can do against what you can get to replace him and what you can do with the money saved. I'm not advocating letting Revis walk. I'm saying that if you can't lock him up reasonably you use all the tools you can (franchise tag, etc) to hang on as long as you can and you do what is best for the team. The GOAT at his position doesn't always win the super bowl.

He does in Rex's system, since he's really what makes it tick. Jerry Rice won 4 of 'em.

I'd let Mangold, Harris and both Braylon and Santonio go before I'd let Revis go on the open market.

It's been said that Revis had the greatest season by a CB ever and the team was 9-7. Give me a break with he'll always win in Rex's system. Marino was possibly the GOAT at the most important position and he never won ****. As for who you let go on the open market you may be 100% right, that's something you decide as your hand is forced on the contracts. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

It's been said that Revis had the greatest season by a CB ever and the team was 9-7. Give me a break with he'll always win in Rex's system. Marino was possibly the GOAT at the most important position and he never won ****. As for who you let go on the open market you may be 100% right, that's something you decide as your hand is forced on the contracts. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

We went to the AFC Title Game too, mainly thanks to Revis shutting down Ocho Cinco, several different SD receivers and a big pick he had in that game. The main reason we were 9-7 was Mark Sanchez's 20 interceptions.

I know this may sound a bit paranoid but I am getting nervous thinking about how the heck we are going to pay for all our upcoming FA's. So something crossed my mind and I need reassurance that I am not crazy. We all just assume that Wilson was drafted to replace Cro eventually, but what if Wilson was drafted to replace Revis becuase of the insane contract he will demand? This is not possible right?

ANYTHING is possible. The NFL is a business.

To all of those acting like it would be crazy...

Think back...

Vilma

Abe

Rhodes

None were as good as Revis but all were top guys in the D and were traded...

eC ... please don't put Vilma and Abraham in the same category as that vaginal sh1tbag ...

I don't want to hear the words "Revis" and "replace" in the same sentence again until I am listening to WFAN.... in my flying car.

I will electronically throw monkey poo in the face of the next dope to mention the words "Revis" and "replace" in the same sentence.

Who needs monkey poo when I've got my trusty cymbals?

th_monkey_cymbal.gif

That's actually a really old avatar of mine - and I loved it, of course.

Revis is in the 4th year of his rookie deal and the Jets can still buy back years 5 (2011) and 6 (2012) if they so choose to do so. In those two years I believe he would make somewhere around $13 and $15 million, which is what he's going to get per year in a long term deal anyways. For at least 3 more years, Revis is a JET.

ANYTHING is possible. The NFL is a business.

its funny... this time last year everyone thought Leon Washington would be a Jet for life.... or at least the next few seasons.

Things can change quickly. no one really _wants_ revis to be replaced by Kyle Wilson... but it's nice to have options. People do get hurt.

Check out some of the contracts of other top CBs...Aso...Bailey (7 years 63 million back 7 years ago)...Clements got a nice one when he hit FA...Do you think the team can sign Revis to one of those and keep the many other important guys we have to keep (specifically the LT and C combo)?

It's a legit issue IMO...just one that we don't know anything about.

Check out some of the contracts of other top CBs...Aso...Bailey (7 years 63 million back 7 years ago)...Clements got a nice one when he hit FA...Do you think the team can sign Revis to one of those and keep the many other important guys we have to keep (specifically the LT and C combo)?

It's a legit issue IMO...just one that we don't know anything about.

Didn't Clements get his payday on the open market? I have to believe Revis is more of a team player when it comes to a new contract.

You mean like when he held out as a rookie?

He signed and played didnt he? Besides, he's playing for Rex now, and wants a championship. I'm not saying he won't get paid bigtime, but I am saying he won't get paid like he would on the open market, for sure.

He signed and played didnt he? Besides, he's playing for Rex now, and wants a championship. I'm not saying he won't get paid bigtime, but I am saying he won't get paid like he would on the open market, for sure.

Yep. He signed. Eventually. Now he doesn't care about money and is going to give the Jets a Rex Ryan discount. I don't know about you, but I assume the kid was a Steelers fan growing up.

Yep. He signed. Eventually. Now he doesn't care about money and is going to give the Jets a Rex Ryan discount. I don't know about you, but I assume the kid was a Steelers fan growing up.

That may be. But c'mon, Pittsburgh's top offer for Revis would be a backloaded contract that averaged $3.5M per season with a $1M signing bonus.

That may be. But c'mon, Pittsburgh's top offer for Revis would be a backloaded contract that averaged $3.5M per season with a $1M signing bonus.

Yep. Thankfully he grew up in a place with a cheapskate team. Then again, if he grew up in DC we probably wouldn't be assuming that he was a 'skins fan.

Of course they'll resign him barring anything ridiculous like an injury or severe dropoff in play. Teams don't just let their best players go. How many times has a CB of his caliber and age become an UFA? Potentially they could consider trading him I guess if Wilson turned into an all-pro Cromartie reached his potential but those are highly unlikely scenarios.

Of all the players coming up the one I'm most concerned about losing is Harris.

Archived