I TOLD You This Is The 2010 Storyline They Want To Push

SoFlaJets

Glauber: Is chemistry a problem for the Jets?

Much has been made of the Jets myriad acquisitions of late and the potential for a negative impact on team chemistry. Antonio Cromartie . LaDainian Tomlinson . Santonio Holmes . Jason Taylor . And who knows? Maybe Adalius Thomas before long.

It's a stunning list of additions since the Jets unexpected run to last season's AFC Championship Game, especially in light of the free agency restrictions imposed by the removal of a salary cap for the 2010 season.

But as far as Rex Ryan is concerned, this is nothing compared to last year's changes.

"You want to talk about chemistry and all that, last year was the year we had so many different players," the Jets coach said Saturday during a break in the team's rookie mini-camp practices. "This year, we made a lot of moves, but it's less than last year."

Consider: Heading into the 2009 season, the Jets had a new quarterback in Mark Sanchez , a new backup running back in Shonn Greene (who eventually emerged as the starter), a new inside linebacker in Bart Scott , a new defensive end in Marques Douglas , a new starting cornerback in Lito Sheppard , a new starting safety in Jim Leonhard . Early in the season, there was a new starting receiver in Braylon Edwards .

Oh, yeah: a new head coach, too.

What followed was a 9-7 season (after a midseason bobble that saw them at 4-6) and a playoff run that landed them within a game of the Super Bowl .

Ordinarily, you'd expect only a few tweaks here or there. But Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum wound up going for it all when players like Holmes and Cromartie became available via trade and Tomlinson was out there after being released by San Diego . Throw in an aging Taylor, who can still rush the passer, and possibly Thomas, whose price needs to come down before the Jets make a move on him, and the Jets aggressiveness should be lauded, not viewed as a harbinger to locker-room disunity that will ultimately have a negative impact on the field.

"I came here to win," Ryan said. "I never came here to be average. I know when it's all said and done I'm going to be held to those standards. Did you win? Did you deliver a championship? I'm man enough to go for it, where a lot of guys aren't. Well see what happens."

Really now. How do you not like that go-for-it-all approach? The Jets could just as easily have hung back and kept the roster largely intact going into next season, and no one would have questioned the strategy. Come to think of it, every single other playoff 2009 playoff team had a mostly quiet offseason.

Not the Jets, who saw opportunities to upgrade the roster and went for it with a series of aggressive moves. Add in what appears to be a solid draft featuring Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson and Massachusetts guard Vladimir Ducasse, and this team looks even better.

Of course, that's not to say this transition isn't without risk. Holmes will begin the season with a four-game suspension because of violating the NFL 's substance abuse program. And while his much-publicized confrontation with a flight attendant who asked him to turn off his iPod during a flight on Thursday ended with no charges being lodged against the receiver, it was a further reminder that he has little wiggle room for his behavior because of his past transgressions.

The absence of stand-up locker room guys like Thomas Jones , Alan Faneca and Jay Feely can't be completely ignored. And just because the Jets brought in talented players doesn't mean it automatically will translate to more wins. Each NFL season is its own entity, and each team is unique from the year before.

But the one constant in the equation is Ryan, and that's why there's good reason to believe the moves will wind up helping this team move closer to the Super Bowl championship that has eluded this franchise going on 42 seasons.

"The only thing [last year] that never worked out was that we never had the opportunity to compete for the Super Bowl ," Ryan said. "That's our mission right now. Our job in the offseason is to try to get our football team better, and that's why we made some of the moves we made. There were opportunities to get better. That's what we did."

Time to trust the man that he and his go-for-broke general manager made the right moves.

I agree the media can't wait to pin this on the jets, since the "lets see if the big mouth can back up his words" thing never materialized last season for them, but this particular article seems to be fair anyway

"the Jets aggressiveness should be lauded, not viewed as a harbinger to locker-room disunity that will ultimately have a negative impact on the field."

"How do you not like that go-for-it-all approach?"

"Of course, that's not to say this transition isn't without risk"

Faneca and Feely were not "locker room leaders". They spoke up a lot, but I never heard anybody outside the press describe either of them as a leader. Maybe along the line some guys talked about Faneca's presence, but not team wide. Jones on the other hand was often mentioned for giving rousing talks and leading by word and example in practice and the weight room.

They low balled Feely in the contract negotiations to get rid of him and be able to sign Jason Taylor. I have a bad feeling about how this is going to work out.

I think if the rest of the defense plays at the same level and Cromartie lives up to his ability this defense will be unstoppable. If those two things happen I just don't see how anyone is going to get points against the Jets.

A Funny thing about the Media, There's 32 teams, so that means that the media will be right 31 times, and the one that they were wrong with they'll say they knew all along.

How are they going to say that Ryans talk didnt materialize last year when we made it 30 mins away from the superbowl? bottomline is that every teams agenda should be a superbowl, not just a winning record, not just the playoffs.....the superbowl. For this guy to be a rookie head coach with a rookie QB and make the offense at minimum credible and turn the defense into a #1 defense is much more than what most Jet fans expected in the first year anyway.

F**k the media.

A Funny thing about the Media, There's 32 teams, so that means that the media will be right 31 times, and the one that they were wrong with they'll say they knew all along.

How are they going to say that Ryans talk didnt materialize last year when we made it 30 mins away from the superbowl? bottomline is that every teams agenda should be a superbowl, not just a winning record, not just the playoffs.....the superbowl. For this guy to be a rookie head coach with a rookie QB and make the offense at minimum credible and turn the defense into a #1 defense is much more than what most Jet fans expected in the first year anyway.

F**k the media.

YEAH!!!!

Faneca and Feely were not "locker room leaders". They spoke up a lot, but I never heard anybody outside the press describe either of them as a leader. Maybe along the line some guys talked about Faneca's presence, but not team wide. Jones on the other hand was often mentioned for giving rousing talks and leading by word and example in practice and the weight room.

If only he could have broken a tackle. I think it is a measure of how great this OL truly was that TJ got 1400 yards. Way too much is being made of this leadership stuff. Why can't Mangold and Brick and Cotch lead until Sanchez gets another year or two under his belt? And what about Scott and Jenkins and Pace?

If only he could have broken a tackle. I think it is a measure of how great this OL truly was that TJ got 1400 yards. Way too much is being made of this leadership stuff. Why can't Mangold and Brick and Cotch lead until Sanchez gets another year or two under his belt? And what about Scott and Jenkins and Pace?

Well that's the thing. It's not like certain leadership goes out and now the team is devoid of having any. Someone else steps into that role.

You cannot underestimate chemistry, whether, it's teammates, marriage, co-workers, etc...you get my drift. One way to put this to bed is winning...you win, and so much for the chemistry argument in this case.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about a groups chemistry. If the Jets start winning early we'll never hear it mentioned again.

Then when we win the SB it'll be all "Rex Ryan and his cast of misfits who came togther"...we'll be reminded that Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard were UDFAs..how Ryan saved Edwards' (and Pools?) career(s?) when he took him (them?) out of Cleveland...how Vernon Gholston, previously the largest bust in the entire history of the entire world times ten, realized the err of his ways when Rex told him to be more Rexgressive...how Santonio Holmes stopped smoking pot and started breathing life under Rex's grace and tutelage...how Antonio Cromartie started using a condom after Rex showed him how to put it on (with the banana, man)...how Kyle Wilson, the man who plummeted dramatically (!) to the Jets on draft day, showed other teams what they were missing...how Vladimir Ducasse should never have been questioned as a beast...how Calvin Pace is actually a top 3-4 LB within the league, and not just some random dude who was handed 42 million dollars....how Shonn Greene went from selling beds or something to starting for the Championship Jets...how Brian Schottenheimer has been a top OC with bad players should finally be noted...how the all time great RB Ladanian Tomlinson rejuvenated himself for his ring after everyone said he was done...how Shaun Ellis managed to put up and even survive the bs within the Jets organization for 10 seasons with 0 complaints...if you're still reading you're an idiot.

Yep. Sooner or later the team is going to stop following the guy that can lead anyway. Eventually they'll always end up following the guy that can run.

Then when we win the SB it'll be all "Rex Ryan and his cast of misfits who came togther"...we'll be reminded that Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard were UDFAs..how Ryan saved Edwards' (and Pools?) career(s?) when he took him (them?) out of Cleveland...how Vernon Gholston, previously the largest bust in the entire history of the entire world times ten, realized the err of his ways when Rex told him to be more Rexgressive...how Santonio Holmes stopped smoking pot and started breathing life under Rex's grace and tutelage...how Antonio Cromartie after Rex showed him how to put it on (with the banana, man)...how Kyle Wilson, the man who plummeted dramatically (!) to the Jets on draft day, showed other teams what they were missing...how Vladimir Ducasse should never have been questioned as a beast...how Calvin Pace is actually a top 3-4 LB within the league, and not just some random dude who was handed 42 million dollars....how Shonn Greene went from selling beds or something to starting for the Championship Jets...how Brian Schottenheimer has been a top OC with bad players should finally be noted...how the all time great RB Ladanian Tomlinson rejuvenated himself for his ring after everyone said he was done...how Shaun Ellis managed to put up and even survive the bs within the Jets organization for 10 seasons with 0 complaints...if you're still reading you're an idiot.

Love it!

( Im not an idiot :D )

Then when we win the SB it'll be all "Rex Ryan and his cast of misfits who came togther"...we'll be reminded that Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard were UDFAs..how Ryan saved Edwards' (and Pools?) career(s?) when he took him (them?) out of Cleveland...how Vernon Gholston, previously the largest bust in the entire history of the entire world times ten, realized the err of his ways when Rex told him to be more Rexgressive...how Santonio Holmes stopped smoking pot and started breathing life under Rex's grace and tutelage...how Antonio Cromartie started using a condom after Rex showed him how to put it on (with the banana, man)...how Kyle Wilson, the man who plummeted dramatically (!) to the Jets on draft day, showed other teams what they were missing...how Vladimir Ducasse should never have been questioned as a beast...how Calvin Pace is actually a top 3-4 LB within the league, and not just some random dude who was handed 42 million dollars....how Shonn Greene went from selling beds or something to starting for the Championship Jets...how Brian Schottenheimer has been a top OC with bad players should finally be noted...how the all time great RB Ladanian Tomlinson rejuvenated himself for his ring after everyone said he was done...how Shaun Ellis managed to put up and even survive the bs within the Jets organization for 10 seasons with 0 complaints...if you're still reading you're an idiot.

Me idiot...but me enjoyed it.

The media in general is full of douchebags creating stories. Shouldn't every team be trying to "win it all" every year? In any event, it isn't like the jets are bringing in a bunch of old men (just Taylor). This team is pretty damn young and is built for the long haul, not a one and done scenario.

if all the beat writers produced were "why they are going to win it all" stories that wouldn't be responsible journalism. the sad truth is there are 31 losers and 1 winner every year... chances are they aren't gonna win it all... the question is why won't they win it all... At least they are looking into possible reasons... I'd be more worried if all the beat writers wrote about was how great the 2010 Jets were... lower those expectations please.

Well that's the thing. It's not like certain leadership goes out and now the team is devoid of having any. Someone else steps into that role.

Exactly and guys who were leaders when they played a major role can also become cancers when their role is diminished. Standing pat doesn't mean the chemistry stays the same either.

They low balled Feely in the contract negotiations to get rid of him and be able to sign Jason Taylor. I have a bad feeling about how this is going to work out.

I think if the rest of the defense plays at the same level and Cromartie lives up to his ability this defense will be unstoppable. If those two things happen I just don't see how anyone is going to get points against the Jets.

lol

lol

You really shouldn't be laughing...

Without Ginn, the Dolphins lose twice last year...

They averaged a whopping 15 points or so on offense per game... (Even though the 2nd game they could barely muster 100 total yards on offense)

No more Ginn...

Jets averaged 26 points per game against Miami...

Dolphins lose.

Twice.

Damit! I knew this shyte was too damn long lol.

Archived