And the Buffalo Bills Select.....

villain_the_foe

i liked the Bills pick. people would rather they took Bulaga 10 slots too early or Clausen 50 slots too early? at least they took a player of value. They need to score points just like everyone else. Ive said it before I'll say it again CJ spiller was the AFC East pick that scared me the most as a Jets fan. That guy can explode on specials or offense and is very tough to contain. Way more concerned about him than Odrick or McCourty.

i liked the Bills pick. people would rather they took Bulaga 10 slots too early or Clausen 50 slots too early? at least they took a player of value.

Their QB's are Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Levi Brown, an undrafted free agent.

If they believe Clausen can lead the team, they must select him with their earliest pick regardless of where they think they can draft him.

The Giants selected Phil Simms No. 7 in the draft and they got two Super Bowls out of it, (I know Hostetler took over due to injury just before the playoffs for the second). Simms did not even play for a Division 1 school-but he was the man the Giants wanted, and they took him. Smart.

If the Bills thought there was a QB available with their earliest pick that they believed in, they had to take him, unless they feel the QB's they have now are going to get it done. You can't mess around with this "Oh we can get him later, we'll take a higher rated pick at another position first" crap.

i liked the Bills pick. people would rather they took Bulaga 10 slots too early or Clausen 50 slots too early? at least they took a player of value. They need to score points just like everyone else. Ive said it before I'll say it again CJ spiller was the AFC East pick that scared me the most as a Jets fan. That guy can explode on specials or offense and is very tough to contain. Way more concerned about him than Odrick or McCourty.

This is like saying Ted Ginn scares you more than David Harris because he's fast and has more opportunities to put points on the board.

What the Bills needed was a franchise Left Tackle. That could have helped out both Brohm (or whomever their QB will be) and Lynch (Since they're going to keep him anyway).

They picked up a really good talent in Spiller, no doubt, but Spiller needs a line in order to be successful, the Bills dont have that. And for this draft to be flooded with talent they didnt take care of needs, instead they drafted RB's and WR's when they could have stuck with Lynch, resigned Owens and built that O-line. If they didnt believe in the QB's this year then understandable, but if they get a QB next year who's going to protect him?

I do like their defensive pick-ups because they're changing to a 3-4 style of play, but the offense is still going to be shyte because they didnt make it better.

What's so bad about getting CJ Spiller?

Nothing, except keeping Lynch and not getting anyone to block and open holes for both Spiller and Lynch.

Thats like getting a QB with no receivers to throw the ball to.....it doesnt matter how good the QB is if the WR's are shyte.

and half of Jets fan were like that last year when we drafted Sanchez, Dave and Busters in Times Square erupted in boos.

I was booing from home, because I thought we just mortgaged our entire draft to do it, and maybe even a pick this year as well.

Fortunately, we were trading with Mangini and we flat out ripped him off.... so Tanny, I apologize, you rock.

As to Sanchez, it's kinda hilarious how much winning erases all negative feelings. If we were one game shy of the playoffs instead of one game shy of the superbowl, then Sanchez, with those very SAME stats, would be hearing it all across this forum. (with few exceptions, such as myself...)

But then, we make the AFC championship game and all of the sudden it's as if he didn't throw twice as many picks as touchdowns.

Newsflash: HE DID.. pretty much.

Newsflash 2: Jury is still out on Mark Sanchez. I think he'll be just fine, but the jury is definitely still out.

Nothing, except keeping Lynch and not getting anyone to block and open holes for both Spiller and Lynch.

Thats like getting a QB with no receivers to throw the ball to.....it doesnt matter how good the QB is if the WR's are shyte.

Don't forget they also have Fred Jackson who was BEASTLY last year! So basically they drafted at their deepest position.

I thought Odrick was the worst AFCe first round pick. McCourty's a guy who will be a very good CB, and can be dangerous on special teams as well. I'd've been very pleased if the Jets picked him up.

The Bills passed on obvious needs for an explosive player. If Spiller was the #1 player on their board at the time, I think they made the right selection. The man's an electrifying playmaker. It's good to have those on your roster.

But then waiting until the fifth round to take an OL kinda hurts them.

Oh, and this:

Fake.

If they believe Clausen can lead the team, they must select him with their earliest pick regardless of where they think they can draft him.

I agree... but obviously they didn't think he was any good. Jimmy Clausen was highly overrated by the internetz. The NFL said "no thanks" and I dont disagree. he isn't tall, he doesn't have a huge arm, he comes from a school who hasn't had a good NFL QB come out for 30 years... what exactly is the appeal?

the Bills are a multi year rebuild it's better to get 1 player now and have it be a good building block than to get a whole bunch of players who bust at positions of need.

This is like saying Ted Ginn scares you more than David Harris because he's fast and has more opportunities to put points on the board.

its a flawed metaphor (a better comparison would be CJ Spiller to Daryl Washington)

but in a way yes I can agree with that statement.

TEd Ginn basically beat the Jets single handedly 2x this year. He had 2 KR TD and 1 bomb TD. I love David Harris - he's AWESOME - but how many touchdowns did he score this year? Ted Ginn put up 18 points against the Jets and led his team to 2 divisional wins. Does that make him worth the #9 pick? i dont know... but CJ Spiller could have a similar effect, even in 1 or 2 games, if he's not doing it every game. He's a player defenses have to account for...

even more to the point of this thread... i dont know who the Bills "should" have taken instead of Spiller. There was not a whole lot of blue chip value floating around at 9 overall.

its a flawed metaphor (a better comparison would be CJ Spiller to Daryl Washington)

TEd Ginn basically beat the Jets single handedly 2x this year. He had 2 KR TD and 1 bomb TD. I love David Harris - he's AWESOME - but how many touchdowns did he score this year? Ted Ginn put up 18 points against the Jets and led his team to 2 divisional wins. Does that make him worth the #9 pick? i dont know... but CJ Spiller could have a similar effect, even in 1 or 2 games, if he's not doing it every game. He's a player defenses have to account for...

even more to the point of this thread... i dont know who the Bills "should" have taken instead of Spiller. There was not a whole lot of blue chip value floating around at 9 overall.

Bitonti's First Round Dream Team:

Offense

QB - Jemarcus Russell - You have to respect his big arm

RB - Reggie Bush - Breakaway speed; you must account for him on the field

FB - Terrence Cody - this athletic beast played FB once at Alabama

WR - David Clowney - 4.2 forty speed; you must account for him on the field

WR - Tedd Ginn Jr - Elite speed; you need to know where he is on the field

TE - Anthony Becht - underrated by Jets fans, elite blocker who stays healthy

Defense

DE Vernon Gholston - strong, fast, only 23 years old. Did you see him run down Chris Johnson last year? That's a gamechanger, folks.

DT - DeWayne Robertson - 320lbs and runs a 4.8 forty. Unblockable.

DT - Terrence Cody - Best prospect since Ted Washington.

DE - Erik Flowers - strong speed demon who's only getting better

Ted Ginn is basically a bust. He had a few big plays against the Jets, which did lead them to two division wins, which helped Miami not make the playoffs, trade two 2nd round picks to Denver and offer a huge contract to a troubled WR, and resulted in Ginn getting traded to San Francisco for a 5th round pick.

Meanwhile, David Harris is a starting ILB for the #1 defense in the NFL, a defense good enough to take the team to the AFC Championship game, a game in which the better team won.

Are you being purposefully obtuse? Or, would you trade David Harris for Ted Ginn straight up?

First....Ted Ginn did NOT, I repeat...>DID NOT beat the Jets single handedly 2x last year. The first game he caught a TD...something that he couldnt do for the rest of the season...but If I recall the Jets were up with 10 seconds left in that game until Ronnie Brown ran the ball for a 2 yard score. Ginn contributed...period. And the ONLY reason why people talk about Ginn is because that was the only BOMB against Revis which shouldnt have happen anyway if Rhodes and Leonhard didnt bite on a playaction damn near 20 yards away from the play. They got lax on that play and they all got burnt.

Ginn was a Major factor the second game though....but NOTHING single handedly...he surely had some help. Maybe if Rex clock management didnt look like Herm Edwards that day, If Shonn Greene didnt fumble the ball and Taylor return it for a TD, if Braylon doesnt drop a 2pt conversion, If Faneca doesnt let Starks get a sack on 3rd down on our last possession when we're 10 yards away from a win and nullifying Ginns KR's the situation could have been different. Mind you, we only lost by 6 in this game as well. Less than a TD/PAT. Both games came down to the absolute wire with basically the last play being the deciding factor. I dont remember Ginn being part of the deciding factor in any one of those games. I do remember the Jets losing though, so I dont want any Dolphin fans to think Im making excuses, but seriously, stop biggin' up this dude like he is nice or something. His two best games happen to be against us. Outside of that this guy is a mystery.

I just disagree when people make it seem like this guy destroyed us when in fact that wasnt the case. Both games had to go down to the wire. Ginn showed up...this is true, but he didnt "SINGLE HANDEDLY BEAT US".....stop it with the bullshyte, and dont ever put Ginn in the same sentence with an all pro caliber LB in Harris.

Bitonti's First Round Dream Team:

Offense

QB - Jemarcus Russell - You have to respect his big arm

RB - Reggie Bush - Breakaway speed; you must account for him on the field

FB - Terrence Cody - this athletic beast played FB once at Alabama

WR - David Clowney - 4.2 forty speed; you must account for him on the field

WR - Tedd Ginn Jr - Elite speed; you need to know where he is on the field

TE - Anthony Becht - underrated by Jets fans, elite blocker who stays healthy

Defense

DE Vernon Gholston - strong, fast, only 23 years old. Did you see him run down Chris Johnson last year? That's a gamechanger, folks.

DT - DeWayne Robertson - 320lbs and runs a 4.8 forty. Unblockable.

DT - Terrence Cody - Best prospect since Ted Washington.

DE - Erik Flowers - strong speed demon who's only getting better

:rl::rl::rl::rl:

CJ Spiller is fast. Like, Chris Johnson fast. This wasn't a bad pick at all. And it scares the hell out of me.

me too, especially since they can just trot fresh legs out every drive for the whole game

Exactly. I was more pissed than they were when they drafted him. I KNOW that he is going to beat us singlehandedly one of the two games this year...there will be at least 1 SOJ game and it could come against the Bills and Spiller.

I agree that he wasn't the reason we lost the first (Wildcat killed us), but WITHOUT A DOUBT was the reason we lost the second.

I see your point. I just think that our mistakes killed us. Look at all of the mistakes that I mentioned, yet we only lost by 6. What if Greene didnt fumble?

All im saying is that before I look outside the Jets at what other teams did I look at how we beat ourselves.

If Shonn didnt fumble that means that Ginn ran two back yet we won by 1. See what I mean? Our mistakes did us in. Ginn SHOWED UP....no doubt about it. He played football. However, it was our inability to execute that lost that game.

The pick is even stranger because the Bills said they were keeping Marshawn Lynch.

3 RBs really isn't that freakish, especially since Spiller isn't going to walk in and be a workhorse. The Bills will try to run the ball alot this year...

3 RBs really isn't that freakish, especially since Spiller isn't going to walk in and be a workhorse. The Bills will try to run the ball alot this year...

But with their defense ,other teams will be scoring at will on them. :P

Archived