Report: Jets assistant rips Rhodes' toughness

Jetfan13

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine says his unit will be better with Brodney Pool at safety instead of Kerry Rhodes.

"Brodney will play the run better [than Rhodes]," Pettine told ESPN.com. "I think he's a better tackler. I think he'll stick his face in there more than Kerry."

Pool was signed as a free agent and will compete with Eric Smith to replace Rhodes, traded to Arizona this offseason after reported clashes with the coaching staff.

"Some of the issues with Kerry were off-the-field stuff. Buying in, I think he struggled with that," Pettine said in an interview released today. "Some of the comments he made after he left were kind of indicative of how he felt, that we brought guys up from Baltimore and we leaned too heavily on them. Of course we were going to lean on guys who know the system. That's the whole point for bringing them in.

"There were some struggles there that we won't have with Brodney."

After the trade in early March, Rhodes said relying on the new Raves was a "slap in the face," and that his off-field activities were a convenient reason to bench him then ship him out.

"I was an easy target. I was an easy scapegoat for somebody to say, 'He's worried about other stuff. He's not putting his all into it and doing what he should be doing on the field,'" Rhodes said in an ESPN Radio interview.

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine says his unit will be better with Brodney Pool at safety instead of Kerry Rhodes.

"Brodney will play the run better [than Rhodes]," Pettine told ESPN.com. "I think he's a better tackler. I think he'll stick his face in there more than Kerry."

Pool was signed as a free agent and will compete with Eric Smith to replace Rhodes, traded to Arizona this offseason after reported clashes with the coaching staff.

"Some of the issues with Kerry were off-the-field stuff. Buying in, I think he struggled with that," Pettine said in an interview released today. "Some of the comments he made after he left were kind of indicative of how he felt, that we brought guys up from Baltimore and we leaned too heavily on them. Of course we were going to lean on guys who know the system. That's the whole point for bringing them in.

"There were some struggles there that we won't have with Brodney."

After the trade in early March, Rhodes said relying on the new Raves was a "slap in the face," and that his off-field activities were a convenient reason to bench him then ship him out.

"I was an easy target. I was an easy scapegoat for somebody to say, 'He's worried about other stuff. He's not putting his all into it and doing what he should be doing on the field,'" Rhodes said in an ESPN Radio interview.

Rhodes didn't play all that well last year but I'm still surprised that the staff would trash him after he left. Organizations should be bigger than the individual. By throwing mud back it shows a lack of class by management.

I'm getting tired of this whole Rhodes topic. He just should have shut his mouth when he left instead of making excuses to "save face". Now, of course , he'll find the need to respond to Pettines comments. And on and on it goes. ::GoJets:

It's interesting that he already knows that Pool has "bought in" and will "stick his nose in there" more than Rhodes despite the guy not even playing a real practice yet. BTW, this sure sounds like they plan to hand the job to Pool.

Does it concern anyone else that thie guy who is going to stick his nose in their struggles with concussions and migraines?

Does it concern anyone else that thie guy who is going to stick his nose in their struggles with concussions and migraines?

no, and I'm glad we're finally getting some mention OF Pool. In Jets' years past this would have been the top story coming from Jets camp; the signing of a hard-nosed willing to stick his nose in there guy-this year it's merely an afterthought. I like what the Jets have been doing the past few years. All the off-season activity has made it fun to be a Jets fan.

I'm still trying to figure out Rhodes' comments. Blame you for what Kerry? We had the number one defense in the league and rode it to within a half hour of the Super Bowl.

and if he would have kept his containment and wasn't late reacting, we may have MADE the super bowl as that 40+ yard pass up the middle may not have been completed!

First of all, the staff didn't trash Rhodes, the thread title did. Pettine pointed out Rhodes' weaknesses, he didn't throw him under the bus.

I think both sides are right, the notion that Rhodes' head wasn't in football because of off the field distractions was the biggest load of crap going last season. Can anyone name one of these movies or modeling gigs Rhodes participated in last year? Outside of his charity event during the bye week there wasn't one. Rhodes is right when he says they used that as a scapegoat.

That said, it was the right move for the Jets. Much better than letting the world know that Rhodes was upset with the Ravens that were brought in. Couple that with Rhodes' down year and that he didn't fit well into Rex's scheme. He was the blacksheep, both sides are better off.

Kerry was probably spotting when he made those comments and was out of sorts mentally. I look for that panty waste to attempt and botch a "big hit" early in the season on some RB who is half held up by another Card defender just so he can show everyone how tough he is. I'm sure he's going to show us.

no, and I'm glad we're finally getting some mention OF Pool. In Jets' years past this would have been the top story coming from Jets camp; the signing of a hard-nosed willing to stick his nose in there guy-this year it's merely an afterthought. I like what the Jets have been doing the past few years. All the off-season activity has made it fun to be a Jets fan.

Haha, it kind of feels like the front office woke up and said "Okay, lets start trying now."

[insert PSL comment here]

Haha, it kind of feels like the front office woke up and said "Okay, lets start trying now."

[insert PSL comment here]

All I know J-bro is we used to sit at our computers 10 years ago and watch FA after FA get signed by other teams and we knew there was no chance we'd EVER get any of them. We'd end up with scrubs like Curtis Conway and Steve At-water-guys who were at the end of their careers, now we always seem to be in the running whenever a big name is available-i like that about these Jets

Rhodes didn't play all that well last year but I'm still surprised that the staff would trash him after he left. Organizations should be bigger than the individual. By throwing mud back it shows a lack of class by management.

Yeah, I don't understand why Pettine needs to talk about Kerry at all. Let it go.

I don't think I was aware of the migraines, but the concussions definitely concern me. When the Jets were initially looking at him, I was kinda hoping they'd pass. Obviously they like him a lot - but my feeling is that the guy is one good hit away from a season ending injury.

I'm hoping one of the undrafted guys like Donovan Warren surprises and sticks. We need safety depth.

Yeah, I don't understand why Pettine needs to talk about Kerry at all. Let it go.

I don't think I was aware of the migraines, but the concussions definitely concern me. When the Jets were initially looking at him, I was kinda hoping they'd pass. Obviously they like him a lot - but my feeling is that the guy is one good hit away from a season ending injury.

I'm hoping one of the undrafted guys like Donovan Warren surprises and sticks. We need safety depth.

which will mean either Eric Smith, or James Ihedigbo will have to go-I say Smith since James can also play LBer now

All I know J-bro is we used to sit at our computers 10 years ago and watch FA after FA get signed by other teams and we knew there was no chance we'd EVER get any of them. We'd end up with scrubs like Curtis Conway and Steve At-water-guys who were at the end of their careers, now we always seem to be in the running whenever a big name is available-i like that about these Jets

The Braylon Edwards trade was probably the most surprising. We were all begging for them to trade for a WR1 but I don't think any of us thought it would happen. I know I was caught off guard. A big in season trade like that, from the Jets?

I'll never forget that day, I was at the gym running on the treadmill when I saw it scroll across the bottom line. After a nearly falling off the treadmill, I regained my balance and put both hands in the air - kept them their for about a whole minute. People were staring.

The Braylon Edwards trade was probably the most surprising. We were all begging for them to trade for a WR1 but I don't think any of us thought it would happen. I know I was caught off guard. A big in season trade like that, from the Jets?

I'll never forget that day, I was at the gym running on the treadmill when I saw it scroll across the bottom line. After a nearly falling off the treadmill, I regained my balance and put both hands in the air - kept them their for about a whole minute. People were staring.

yea I'm a big Braylon Edwards fan. This is the move I'd been waiting for us to make since Keyshawn split for Tampa Bay

He's quickly making a run at Clowney's Thug Jet title. Sometimes, I don't even know if he's speaking English on Twitter.

He's quickly making a run at Clowney's Thug Jet title. Sometimes, I don't even know if he's speaking English on Twitter.

That's funny, I haven't followed him. Maybe that, along with a couple slow 40 times, is why he went from potential 2nd or 3rd round pick to nowhere.

That's funny, I haven't followed him. Maybe that, along with a couple slow 40 times, is why he went from potential 2nd or 3rd round pick to nowhere.

The most recent head scratcher

Donovan Warren Tweet

Yall bihs wacc as hell yea and I'm sleep on that one!!

I think Clowney's illiteracy is more a product of Florida's crappy public school system-which is why our kids all preferred to be home schooled. David Clowney is pretty much as far away from a selfish thug turd as you can get with all the great stuff he does with Haiti and now Ghana as well as his foundation down here in Palm Beach County-you can't help but root for a kid like that.

I think Clowney's illiteracy is more a product of Florida's crappy public school system-which is why our kids all preferred to be home schooled. David Clowney is pretty much as far away from a selfish thug turd as you can get with all the great stuff he does with Haiti and now Ghana as well as his foundation down here in Palm Beach County-you can't help but root for a kid like that.

I never thought Clowney was selfish, it was the Zoe Pound tweets that got me. That and when he complained about playing time. And when 'turned to god' when we traded for Holmes.

I agree. They probably asked him. I don't think what he said was too overboard, but taking the high road and saying nothing probably would have been better. One thing we know for sure, Rex and his staff just aren't going to shut up.

Pool doesn't have migraines and concussions. He has migraines or concussions. He claims he had one concussion in the NFL and it was his rookie year. He and his agent claim the Browns medical staff was misdiagnosing migraines - and he has a family history of migraines. He is now treating the migraines (evidently for the first time) and hopes to be fine. I'm not sure how much of that is BS, but that's what they are saying.

I'm not a big Warren fan just because too many people expect him to be this great player. The fact is, he ran like a slug. He can blame his ankle, but that's the same ankle he had surgery on in August. I have no faith he'll be any faster and no faith he'll be able to perform if he's that slow. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong, but there are plenty of other guys that should have just as good a chance. The interesting thing is that he is already listed as safety while others like Washington are still at CB and Ihedigbo and Bo Smith are listed as DBs.

Smith is a guy who is 26 and has been playing in Canada. The Jets had him in for a try-out and he supposedly ran a 4.34, so they signed him on the spot. Sounds like David Patten's story.

I agree. They probably asked him. I don't think what he said was too overboard, but taking the high road and saying nothing probably would have been better. One thing we know for sure, Rex and his staff just aren't going to shut up.

yea but this is so much better than Mangini never allowing his assistant coaches to say a thing-I like the access, sometimes some of these guys try to make it seem like rocket science when it's still only football and still just a game. Line up and hit the guy across from you, throw or run the ball, catch it, or hold onto it and make past that spot of the field.

Archived