Jets Waive DT; Brunell On Deck

Maxman

Why don't they just cut Kellen already and let him get on with his career?

Outcry from the players on the team might be a monkey wrench... the team said they trust Kellen to do the job, and they are already pissed about the team getting rid of TJ, Faneca and some of them pissed about Rhodes.

Brunell is a washed up has-been who in reality was a never-was. I'm all for a veteran preference for Dirty, but Brunell? Really? It's bad enough we can't teach Dirty to slide, what is Brunell going to do, teach Dirty the fine art of Financial Management? It sure as hell isn't QB play. Brunell was average at best during his career.

Brunell is a washed up has-been who in reality was a never-was. I'm all for a veteran preference for Dirty, but Brunell? Really? It's bad enough we can't teach Dirty to slide, what is Brunell going to do, teach Dirty the fine art of Financial Management? It sure as hell isn't QB play. Brunell was average at best during his career.

Bring back Vinny!

I believe that Drew Brees has gone on record saying that Brunell helped him improve as a QB.

I'm going to go out on a limb and trust Brees on this one...

Outcry from the players on the team might be a monkey wrench... the team said they trust Kellen to do the job, and they are already pissed about the team getting rid of TJ, Faneca and some of them pissed about Rhodes.

They say that now because he's on the team, what would you expect them to say? "Oh man that guys sucks get him out of here".

I'm sure when Kellen gets cut no one will be shedding a tear.

They say that now because he's on the team, what would you expect them to say? "Oh man that guys sucks get him out of here".

I'm sure when Kellen gets cut no one will be shedding a tear.

I will shed a tear, the guy was undefeated in 2009 and he's going to get shoved to the door for a fossil?

Stupid if you ask me.

I will shed a tear, the guy was undefeated in 2009 and he's going to get shoved to the door for a fossil?

Stupid if you ask me.

He played like crap in Tampa, and Brunell is just another head to throw into the mix to help Mark grow.

If we need a backup for an extended period of time we are screwed anyway, and would like to see Ainge in there. Ainge without a doubt has the highest ceiling of any backup QB we have currently.

He played like crap in Tampa, and Brunell is just another head to throw into the mix to help Mark grow.

If we need a backup for an extended period of time we are screwed anyway, and would like to see Ainge in there. Ainge without a doubt has the highest ceiling of any backup QB we have currently.

He did his job. He was asked to weather the storm and win a game on the road, which he did. Does it really matter how he played? Hell, we won 7 games last year in spite of a terrible peformance by Sanchez. Whats the difference? You really think that if Brunnel had to actually take a snap, which I dont know if he even has in the last 2 years, that he's going to be that much better than Clemens who's had 5 years in the system?

And when you have an injury prone QB coming off an injury, going into the season with the idea of we are F'd if he goes down is terrible logic. You should have a valid back up for him, not saying Kellen is that, but you most certainly dont need to be all world to win for this team as Mark proved last season, so why wouldnt you prepare to have an adequate back up who might be able to give you a similar peformance and rack up some W's?

there is no such thing as Cheap good Backup QBs. you can have cheap or you can have good. Good being Charlie Whitehurst getting starter money despite never starting anything (or even throwing a pass) in regular season.

there are no "good" backups anymore. the way the league is, if you lose your #1 you are boned.

He did his job. He was asked to weather the storm and win a game on the road, which he did. Does it really matter how he played? Hell, we won 7 games last year in spite of a terrible peformance by Sanchez. Whats the difference? You really think that if Brunnel had to actually take a snap, which I dont know if he even has in the last 2 years, that he's going to be that much better than Clemens who's had 5 years in the system?

And when you have an injury prone QB coming off an injury, going into the season with the idea of we are F'd if he goes down is terrible logic. You should have a valid back up for him, not saying Kellen is that, but you most certainly dont need to be all world to win for this team as Mark proved last season, so why wouldnt you prepare to have an adequate back up who might be able to give you a similar peformance and rack up some W's?

Mark Sanchez is in a different category all together, he was a rookie and in some games he hurt us, hurt us bad. Even in though bad games, minus Buffalo he still showed flashes of brilliance.

Kellen on the other hand was in his 4th year at the time and managed to 23 times completing 12 for 111 yards. I remember his passing being dreadful.

Many were saying this is a great chance for Kellen to showcase his talent, which he did not to.

Mark was already better as a rookie, then Kellen was who is now entering is 5th year of NFL experience.

Not sure why you brought Mark up at all, but Kellen without a doubt would've lost more games for us last year then Mark did.

In 2007 when Kellen started 8 games he threw 5 TD's to 10 INT's, and that was his second season.

Give me Ainge and Brunell as our backups and let Kellen to lose the game somewhere else.

The Jets' backup QB situation is a head-scratcher.

Seems to me that they obviously gave up on Clemens for good when they drafted Sanchez, yet they just can't let go. They loved Ainge and O'Connell enough last year to carry four QB's all season, yet neither of these guys is good enough for the #2 spot after a few years in the league? I'd think you'd be carrying four QB's because they were so good, not because they were all so bad.

I'm not sure if Brunell is the answer. An old lefty who's hardly played at all in the last three years? Probably not. But by their actions, they seem to be telling us that none of the backups they carried last year are good enough, either.

No matter what they decide with Brunell, I think QB has to be one of the positions they watch closely on the waiver wire this summer.

Mark Sanchez is in a different category all together, he was a rookie and in some games he hurt us, hurt us bad. Even in though bad games, minus Buffalo he still showed flashes of brilliance.

Kellen on the other hand was in his 4th year at the time and managed to 23 times completing 12 for 111 yards. I remember his passing being dreadful.

Many were saying this is a great chance for Kellen to showcase his talent, which he did not to.

Mark was already better as a rookie, then Kellen was who is now entering is 5th year of NFL experience.

Not sure why you brought Mark up at all, but Kellen without a doubt would've lost more games for us last year then Mark did.

In 2007 when Kellen started 8 games he threw 5 TD's to 10 INT's, and that was his second season.

Give me Ainge and Brunell as our backups and let Kellen to lose the game somewhere else.

Dont know what you are responding to exactly. I'm not comparing Mark Sanchez to Kellen Clemens. I'm comparing Mark Brunnel to Kellen Clemens.

And again, you say let Kellen lose games some where else, well, he was undefeated in 2009. Ainge has never started a game in the NFL and Brunnel hasnt taken a snap behind center in 2 years and he's a dinasour.

I'm not saying Kellen is good, but I think 5 years into the systems, he's the best back up were are getting right now and I dont see why you'd cut him for Brunnel. Doesnt make any sense.

Seems to me that they obviously gave up on Clemens for good when they drafted Sanchez, yet they just can't let go. They loved Ainge and O'Connell enough last year to carry four QB's all season, yet neither of these guys is good enough for the #2 spot after a few years in the league? I'd think you'd be carrying four QB's because they were so good, not because they were all so bad.

I'm not sure if Brunell is the answer. An old lefty who's hardly played at all in the last three years? Probably not. But by their actions, they seem to be telling us that none of the backups they carried last year are good enough, either.

No matter what they decide with Brunell, I think QB has to be one of the positions they watch closely on the waiver wire this summer.

For sure. And I'm not trying to say Kellen is some type of great back up, but I think he offers the most in terms of recent starting experience, 5 years in the system, he won when asked last year with this team and the other options are a fossil and 2 guys who've never taken a snap in real NFL action.

Where exactly do you see this definitive high ceiling for Ainge? IMO he has the lowest ceiling on the team. He's ugly in the pocket and doesn't have a big arm. Clemens, Sanchez and O'Connell all have bigger arms than Ainge. He has the capability to be a good game manager and he might be ahead of O'Connell, but I don't see the ceiling.

I agree with almost everything, but that last sentence. They carried all those QBs for a reason. Good or bad, but they must like these guys. I don't see why they'd want to check the waiver wire for more stiffs. Based upon their past actions and inquiries about Jamarcus, you are probably right that they will, but I don't think they necessarily should.

IMO, they should develop what they have and screw Brunell and the waiver wire. It is possible that they actually like Brunell as a mentor for some reason, but I doubt they are counting on him much at QB. At least I hope not.

Where exactly do you see this definitive high ceiling for Ainge? IMO he has the lowest ceiling on the team. He's ugly in the pocket and doesn't have a big arm. Clemens, Sanchez and O'Connell all have bigger arms than Ainge. He has the capability to be a good game manager and he might be ahead of O'Connell, but I don't see the ceiling.

He actually does have a big arm and a big body, at 6-5, 221, he's nearly the same body type as Ben Roethlisberger.

The two pre-season games he playing time in he played great.

In 2008 he was 10-16, 62.5 completion percentage, 131 yards, 1 TD and a 109.1 QB rating.

In 2009 he was 10-17, 57.1 completion percentage, 160 yards, 2 TD's, and a 129.5 QB rating, and a almost identical stats in game 1 of the 2009 pre-season.

I think given the chance, god forbid, he would give us the best chance to win. David Clowney has spoken highly of Ainge and his athletic ability.

There's players that are actually pissed about Rhodes being shipped out? Wow, I wouldnt have thought that. I would understand missing him probably...but pissed I wouldnt have thought. Dude did nothing last year and was more of a problem than a solution. He even lost his job last year.

I could understand TJ and Faneca, but if any of the players are bitching about Rhodes after he played himself off the team then I cant take those players seriously.

He actually does have a big arm and a big body, at 6-5, 221, he's nearly the same body type as Ben Roethlisberger.

The two pre-season games he playing time in he played great.

In 2008 he was 10-16, 62.5 completion percentage, 131 yards, 1 TD and a 109.1 QB rating.

In 2009 he was 10-17, 57.1 completion percentage, 160 yards, 2 TD's, and a 129.5 QB rating, and a almost identical stats in game 1 of the 2009 pre-season.

I think given the chance, god forbid, he would give us the best chance to win. David Clowney has spoken highly of Ainge and his athletic ability.

\

O'Connell was 6'6" 235 coming out. Ainge strikes me as a junkballer and he is pretty skittish in the pocket to start comparing him to Roethlisberger. I like Ainge okay as a prospect, I just disagree about the height of his ceiling. O'Connell was a project coming out, but he was probably the top athlete (athlete, not prospect) at the QB position in that draft and went higher than Ainge based purely on potential.

I'm fine with Ainge. Like I said, I'd be happy to go into the season with any two out of Clemens, Ainge and O'Connell along with Smith behind Sanchez. I just don't see going with four, plus Brunell plus Smith. That's crazy.

Carrying 4 QBs is just plain stupid. We need those extra roster spots for players who will contribute on special teams.

no question, this year especially, and brad smith can be the 3rd emergency QB, so you could almost get away with carrying 2 QB's

I would agree here with jif.

cheaper KC makes more sense than Brunnell.

KC knows both teh playbook and the players tendencies. As a stop gap when needed, I think based on playbook/player knowledge he is a better alternative.

Now, would I take Kerry Collins, yes. But thats not happenin.

I don't see the logic behind signing a suck-artist hack to mentor a young QB who has more talent and potential than he ever had. He might cause more harm than good. After all, if Brunell couldn't sort out his own mental junkyard and learn how to better himself at the position, how can he teach somebody else?

Let's be realistic; Brunell can't run our offense. In fact, he can't run a burger chain either.

Also, I was in Houston a couple weeks ago and saw Whataburgers all over town. We don't have 'em here in Calif, so I visited one. I walked in, and walked right out. It was absolutely disgusting.

Point is, when Brunell's sorry-assed football career is over, he can't even flip a quality burger to save his life. The guy's a loser.

Pay more bux, get Garcia.

I don't see the logic behind signing a suck-artist hack to mentor a young QB who has more talent and potential than he ever had. He might cause more harm than good. After all, if Brunell couldn't sort out his own mental junkyard and learn how to better himself at the position, how can he teach somebody else?

Let's be realistic; Brunell can't run our offense. In fact, he can't run a burger chain either.

Also, I was in Houston a couple weeks ago and saw Whataburgers all over town. We don't have 'em here in Calif, so I visited one. I walked in, and walked right out. It was absolutely disgusting.

Point is, when Brunell's sorry-assed football career is over, he can't even flip a quality burger to save his life. The guy's a loser.

Do as I say, not as I do. Garcia has worn out his welcome in plenty of places despite having a fairly decent record. He couldn't even find a job last year in a market where teams are desperate for any semblance of QB play and the Jets are carrying 4 + QBs. Garcia would be a decent alternative if Sanchez got hurt, but it's quite possible he'd be a terrible mentor. I don't really give a flying **** about either of their abilities to flip burgers or speculate in real estate.

Do as I say, not as I do. Garcia has worn out his welcome in plenty of places despite having a fairly decent record. He couldn't even find a job last year in a market where teams are desperate for any semblance of QB play and the Jets are carrying 4 + QBs. Garcia would be a decent alternative if Sanchez got hurt, but it's quite possible he'd be a terrible mentor. I don't really give a flying **** about either of their abilities to flip burgers or speculate in real estate.

Garcia Says He's Open to Rejoining Eagles as QB Kolb's Mentor

PHILADELPHIA -- If the Eagles want a veteran quarterback to mentor Kevin Kolb, Jeff Garcia is ready for the role.

The four-time Pro Bowl quarterback said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Wednesday that he has talked to the team about the possibility, but nothing is imminent.

"I would welcome the opportunity to return to Philly and be a part of the Eagles' organization and to be in front of those great fans again," Garcia wrote. "I know that I would be a great addition/mentor for Kevin as well as many of the other young guys on the team. Time will tell."

The Eagles traded six-time Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins last week, paving the way for Kolb to start.

Kolb, 25, has started just two games in three NFL seasons. Michael Vick is Philadelphia's current backup.

Garcia filled in nicely when McNabb went down with a knee injury in 2006, leading the Eagles to the NFC East title and a playoff victory. Garcia returned for a couple games last season as a backup when McNabb broke a rib, then was released.

In 2006, the Eagles went 5-1 down the stretch with Garcia as the starter. The gritty Garcia became an instant fan favorite in blue-collar Philadelphia, and teammates praised his leadership skills. But the Eagles chose to let Garcia test free agency after that season, and he signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

McNabb guided the Eagles to five NFC championships and one Super Bowl in 11 seasons, but he never completely won over the fans the way Garcia did in half a season.

Jeff Garcia, QB

Career Statistics

Passer Rating: 87.5

Passing Yards: 25,537

TDs/INTs: 161/83

Keeping 4 QBs just doesn't make sense. Especially when the talent at that position doesn't really run 4 players deep. I won't give up on Ainge until he gets playing time but there is no reason to view him as a special player right now. O'Connell is only in the NFL because of his speed and height and arm strength. Only the coaches know if he's transforming that into anything useful.

The worst part is Brad Smith could be a decent emergency QB. Just no reason to keep 4 QBs at all and if they do I think it means we lose a good player. Either by cutting him or by watching him get picked off our practice squad. BAL took one of PS guys last year, I expect them to do it again this year. Rex is teaching these guys the old Raven system, that means they can contribute faster at BAL. I don't think Basped will last on the PS, I hope they find room for him on the team ahead of a 4th QB.

Carrying 4 QBs is just plain stupid. We need those extra roster spots for players who will contribute on special teams.

Spots 47-53 do not dress for the game anyway, so if you get rid of the 4th qb and get someone else, he just doesn't dress.

Where it will bite us is if we go through a rash of injuries and do not have depth to call on.

Not for nothing, but being a good player does not automatically make one a good mentor or coach. How many superstars have flat out failed as coaches over the years while guys who never played at the highest level or rode the bench became Hall of Fame coaches?

One of the best examples of you don't have to be great to be effective as a coach is Gary Kubiak. The guy was John Elway's backup and then wound up being his QB coach, despite not having been as good as Elway and hell, he was a year younger than Elway to boot. Yet there he was, coaching Elway during his Super Bowl wins.

Just because Garcia was a better QB than Brunnell doesn't mean he'll be a better mentor to a young QB. There is a reason he spent last season at home, while Brunnell was backing up Drew Brees on the eventual Super Bowl champions. It could be because Garcia's a selfish douche for all we know.

Spots 47-53 do not dress for the game anyway, so if you get rid of the 4th qb and get someone else, he just doesn't dress.

Where it will bite us is if we go through a rash of injuries and do not have depth to call on.

That's true, but there are guys I'd worry about losing if we tried to PS them. Basped (as BBanner says) Conner if he can't start, Ihedigbo, Clowney/Allison, Chauncey Washington. Guys that might be able to contribute if somebody gets dinged, but might not last or be eligible for the practice squad.

More importantly, if you don't have the trust in a guy to be your #2 after years in the system, what's the sense in keeping him around? O'Connell is a project and hasn't been here long, so I can see trying to develop him, but Ainge and Clemens have been around. IF you don't trust them to be #2s, then **** 'em. I'd prefer a legit roster so that the guys not dressing are guys that are dinged that week. You're right though, it isn't the end of the world like it would be without the inactive list.

Not for nothing, but being a good player does not automatically make one a good mentor or coach. How many superstars have flat out failed as coaches over the years while guys who never played at the highest level or rode the bench became Hall of Fame coaches?

One of the best examples of you don't have to be great to be effective as a coach is Gary Kubiak. The guy was John Elway's backup and then wound up being his QB coach, despite not having been as good as Elway and hell, he was a year younger than Elway to boot. Yet there he was, coaching Elway during his Super Bowl wins.

Just because Garcia was a better QB than Brunnell doesn't mean he'll be a better mentor to a young QB. There is a reason he spent last season at home, while Brunnell was backing up Drew Brees on the eventual Super Bowl champions. It could be because Garcia's a selfish douche for all we know.

That's my point. Garcia in particular has been run out of places and has not had a good rep in the locker room. In Detroit the players called him out for blaming every problem on the rest of the team and not taking responsibility. In SF they thought he was gay and meant that in the most derogatory way possible. In Oakland and Philly he was dumped for not being a good soldier and not having a "mentor" attitude. Just saying you are ready to mentor a young player because you can't find a job otherwise doesn't mean you are or that you'll be good at it.

Archived