Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

It was in his contract that if he held out $20M in guaranteed money would become unguaranteed and he held out anyway.

Because of league rules if he held out past the 10th he gets another year added to his contract and he held out anyway.

Putting disincentives in the contract won't work because Revis is loco.

He's young, dominant and underpaid, so he has the leverage now.

If he were to pull this again in 3-4 years, I'd be the first to sharpen my pitchfork.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JBro has been bitching and moaning about Revis all week. Are we all supposed to collectively "hate" him because you do? :mellow:

"ooh he's my least favorite jet forevahhh" who gives a f...

Apparently you do or you wouldnt have addressed JBro.

If what you are saying is true then Revis could agree to the 10year/$120M idea and then begin the work of hammering out how much of that will be guaranteed. But Revis won't do that because he insists on getting more than Aso.

exactly,the Jets have said if yo uagree to 10/120 (agree, but not sign anything) then we wil ltralk about what % is guranteed..if u agree then u can sign,,,but revis camp is insisting on 1`6m a year cause they have a street cred thing about gettin more than aso

They can give Revis a 10 year 3 billion dollar contract but if there's no guaranteed money that contract is just a worthless piece of paper.

Woody needs to stop being cheap.

maybe you didn't read the part where they said they would work out the guaranteed money portion if they could even get revis and co. to agree to the total compensation. but, for them, 10 at 120 million isn't enough.

No salary cap: fact

I don't know how you can dispel this.

But keep thinking the Jets have to "conserve" money in an uncapped year.

the cap is coming back: fact

you have to consider the hard cap in this deal, I don't know how you don't see that.

No salary cap: fact

I don't know how you can dispel this.

But keep thinking the Jets have to "conserve" money in an uncapped year.

because there will be a salary cap when the new cba is signed. you can't just go ahead and spend like an idiot because ther eis one uncapped year. give revis the ciontract he is proposing and watch the team be hamstrung for years trying to field a competitive team.......but we will have the best cornerback in football for a coupla years so i guess that counts for something right?

because there will be a salary cap when the new cba is signed. you can't just go ahead and spend like an idiot because ther eis one uncapped year. give revis the ciontract he is proposing and watch the team be hamstrung for years trying to field a competitive team.......but we will have the best cornerback in football for a coupla years so i guess that counts for something right?

How will the team be hamstrung for years if the contract is based around a fat signing bonus that takes advantage of an uncapped year?

How will the team be hamstrung for years if the contract is based around a fat signing bonus that takes advantage of an uncapped year?

Now who's throwing gasoline on the fire?

Oh wait they're going to add that clause that may or may not fly in the new CBA, to prevent MEvi$ from taking the bonus and holding out again right?

Gotcha! B)

No offense, your sources havent been all that hot when you've posted about them leaking info to you.

And I highly doubt that anyone would leak this info and claim that the deal would be done...it paints him in a terrible light and really doesnt help his negotiation stance. His camp is stupid, but not that stupid.

...Care to post when they haven't "been all that hot"? And that's why the post says FWIW....I'm just posting what I hear, that's all.

Fair question.

And this hamstrung for years crap continues to be just that: crap.

This year - no cap.

Next year, Vernon Gholston is gone. Shaun Ellis' $3.3M is gone. Damien Woody's $4.2M is gone or reduced. How much longer is Kris Jenkins and his $6.4M in 2011 and $7.6M in 2012 going to last? Jason Taylor's signed for $2.2M next year, think he's here to earn it?

The Jets can sign Revis to a market value contract and continue to do business.

One thread.

Any one that thinks they have something to say that is so important that it might get lost in the big thread will have to pay a $100 charge.

The money can be used for a "Feed Revis Family" fund. The $16,000,000 should be raised in no time

100$ to post about the greatest CB of all time! WOW we're getting off cheap!

Fair question.

And this hamstrung for years crap continues to be just that: crap.

This year - no cap.

Next year, Vernon Gholston is gone. Shaun Ellis' $3.3M is gone. Damien Woody's $4.2M is gone or reduced. How much longer is Kris Jenkins and his $6.4M in 2011 and $7.6M in 2012 going to last? Jason Taylor's signed for $2.2M next year, think he's here to earn it?

The Jets can sign Revis to a market value contract and continue to do business.

OK what's a market value contract?

Does it really sound like Mevi$ will sign one to you?

Players will have to be replaced and retained, there is cap uncertainty.

Allot is going to depend on what it takes to sign MEvi$, IMO.

lock the older ones and let them sink while the newer ones will surely be coming

If you wanted a serious answer, Max, this is it.

You can't contain an angry mob in just one or two threads. Just can't be done.

OK what's a market value contract?

Depends on the length of the deal. $12M-14M oughta do it.

Does it really sound like Mevi$ will sign one to you?

Haven't head much from Revis' camp about what they're willing to accept. But I think when push comes to shove, and the choice is to stay home or earn those types of numbers above -I think he'll sign. The Jets need to get there with the 2010 compensation, not just the total compensation they keep harping on.

Players will have to be replaced and retained, there is cap uncertainty.

Allot is going to depend on what it takes to sign MEvi$, IMO.

Cap uncertainty is also BS. There will be a salary cap, and the owners already have a very good idea of what it will be. They're going to use the cap as leverage to get a few other things from the players that they want (an 18 game season, maybe), but they aren't going to hurt themselves in the process. Teams up against the current cap aren't going to be agreeable to it going down. They want to be able to field their stars. It's good business.

Jets can help themselves in that regard with some upfront money that won't be prorated into future years. I'm not talking about excessive, $30M-type bonuses, but something substantially more than the measly $4M total for 2010 that Myers reported in the article referenced in the first post of this thread.

Imagine Nick Mangold, D'Brick and David Harris acting like Revis. Can you imagine how bad we would be screwed? So nice to have respectable and rational players on your team. I see no reason, when it comes to Mangold specifically, why he couldn't try to pull the same crap. Has he outplayed his contract? Hell yes. Best player at his position? Probably. Is he whining like a baby? No. GET TO CAMP OR GET OUT OF FOOTBALL ME-VI$$

There's no excuse for not extending Mangold right now, and Mangold is taking a chance playing without an extension. The Jets are setting themselves up to lose the man when he becomes a UFA, and it will serve them right if they do. They're taking advantage of the guy's good nature.

There's no excuse for not extending Mangold right now, and Mangold is taking a chance playing without an extension. The Jets are setting themselves up to lose the man when he becomes a UFA, and it will serve them right if they do. They're taking advantage of the guy's good nature.

Let's hope he doesn't sign with the Dolphins and come back to win the AFCE in our final home game of a future season.

(Not like something that painful would ever happen, though)

not to mention that he has put himself in this position -- because of the rules this year regarding guarantees, the only real way to give him what he wants is a massive signing bonus. but the jets have now been burned twice by this guy with holdouts in 3 years and if they cut him the big bonus check, he'll just sit out again in 2 or 3 years when his salary number is "too low."

Exactly.

Depends on the length of the deal. $12M-14M oughta do it.

Haven't head much from Revis' camp about what they're willing to accept. But I think when push comes to shove, and the choice is to stay home or earn those types of numbers above -I think he'll sign. The Jets need to get there with the 2010 compensation, not just the total compensation they keep harping on.

Cap uncertainty is also BS. There will be a salary cap, and the owners already have a very good idea of what it will be. They're going to use the cap as leverage to get a few other things from the players that they want (an 18 game season, maybe), but they aren't going to hurt themselves in the process. Teams up against the current cap aren't going to be agreeable to it going down. They want to be able to field their stars. It's good business.

Jets can help themselves in that regard with some upfront money that won't be prorated into future years. I'm not talking about excessive, $30M-type bonuses, but something substantially more than the measly $4M total for 2010 that Myers reported in the article referenced in the first post of this thread.

That all sounds reasonable, but I have to be honest with you hear, I don't think Revis would go for it.

I hope a deal like this can be reached, and I hope both sides could see eye to eye on it, but I just don't see it right at the moment.

I know it's been discussed by you and others here, and I agree both sides need to give a little and come together on this.

But you've said so yourself that Revis should be holding out to get what he wants, I don't think what you and me deem as resonable will meet what Revis wants.

I hope I'm wrong! Too bad you were not a short order cook at that diner. ;)

From Yahoo Sports:

Tom Brady, after taking a below-market deal in 2005, wants to be compensated at a level befitting his status as one of the NFL’s two best players (along with the Colts’ Peyton Manning(notes), whose deal also expires after this season). Patriot's owner Robert Kraft has said that he absolutely expects Brady to be his quarterback for a long time, and he reiterated that this week. The owner and his quarterback have a warm, mutually appreciative relationship, and that goes a long way.

Yet the labor uncertainty complicates any potential deal, because there’s no clear-cut roadmap. The Patriots want to make sure they structure a new contract in a way that allows them the flexibility to afford other premium players under whatever the rules of the new system turn out to be. Brady, while down with the logic of his team remaining competitive, wants to make sure he doesn’t cut a deal now that ends up looking unduly conciliatory once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place.

It’s even possible, though less likely, that negotiations could continue past the start of the regular season, and a contract extension could be hammered out in the fall or winter. That’s not an ideal situation for Brady, who would prefer not to be distracted by business concerns as he attempts to guide the Pats back to the promised land.

Brady declined to discuss his contract status Tuesday night, but when pressed he gave some insight into what his mind-set will likely be come Sept. 12 in the regular-season opener against the Bengals at Gillette Stadium.

“I just want to win, man,” he said. “I don’t want anything to get in the way.”

I have no love for Tom Brady OR the Patriots.

But MEvi$ should take a lesson from the man.

That all sounds reasonable, but I have to be honest with you hear, I don't think Revis would go for it.

I hope a deal like this can be reached, and I hope both sides could see eye to eye on it, but I just don't see it right at the moment.

I know it's been discussed by you and others here, and I agree both sides need to give a little and come together on this.

But you've said so yourself that Revis should be holding out to get what he wants, I don't think what you and me deem as resonable will meet what Revis wants.

I hope I'm wrong! Too bad you were not a short order cook at that diner. ;)

Team Fat Gilbert are not engaged in negotiations, they are engaged in extortion.

CB Darrelle Revis will not report to training camp Tuesday, Aug. 10, in time for the NFL-imposed deadline to earn another accrued season of service, according to a source familiar with Revis' thought process, reports Adam Caplan, of FOXSports.com. Revis wants a deal eclipsing Oakland Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha's $15.155 million average per season. Revis has said recently that he would accept a deal that pays him at least 50 cents higher than Asomugha's average per year. Those three years in Asomugha's deal are fully guaranteed for skill and injury, a source familiar with his contract said. The Jets do not appear eager to give Revis a lot of guaranteed money.

From the KFFL site

Aso got guaranteed money because Franchize Tag money is guaranteed. Aso had already been franchized twice. The Raiders then offered him what he would have gotten for being franchized another two years plus a complicated option year at the end. It was obvious that if Aso turned the contract down the Raiders would franchize him another two years. So Aso took a contract which gave him franchize money and guarantees without officially being franchized.

The Raiders made Aso an offer he couldn't refuse. Sign the contract or get the same amount of money by getting franchized.

If you don't understand that the Raider contract was worded to give Aso what a franchize contract gives then you can't understand what went on there.

There's no salary cap this year, Chachi.

Actually that's not totally true. The Jets can't simply guarantee $40M unless they want it to be "not really guaranteed" as some put it (guaranteed for injury if he makes it through the 2010 season) unless they give him a $40M signing bonus. In this regard, they are constrained by cap space that they had available last season.

Further, signing bonuses extend into capped seasons. You can't write it all off in 2010 and Revis has not shown himself trustworthy enough to not hold out again in a few years. He's held out twice already before his 4th season began. So since the Jets can't offer anything 100% guaranteed (for skill and injury), they can only do the amount Revis wants through a $40M+ signing bonus which most definitely will affect future caps (as well as being, as Lt. Daniel Kafee once put it, galactically stupid).

Archived