New York Jets fourth-year quarterback Erik Ainge enters drug treatment/rehab facility: sources

TaborJet

CORTLAND - Jets quarterback Erik Ainge recently entered a drug treatment/rehab facility for "recreational issues," according to sources. The Jets placed the fourth-year pro on the reserve/non-football illness list before the start of training camp.

A team source told the Daily News that the Jets are "very disappointed" in what appears to be a relapse for Ainge and don't have a timetable for his return.

This would be Ainge's second strike under the league's substance abuse policies, which means that he would be subject to an eight-game suspension upon his return. Ainge, who hasn't taken a regular-season snap in his first three seasons, was suspended for four games without pay in 2008 for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

Rex Ryan didn't provide an update on Ainge Tuesday other than to say that he hadn't spoken to GM Mike Tannenbaum about him in the past couple days. A team spokesman only confirmed that Ainge had an undisclosed illness.

On Monday night, Ainge posted this message on his Twitter page: "I am taking some personal time to address a non-football related illness. Thank you for all the love, thoughts, and concerns. I love you all."

The uncertainty surrounding Ainge's immediate future means that fellow QB Kellen Clemens may not be going anywhere. Mark Brunell's arrival fueled speculation that Clemens could be released. Now, it appears Clemens and Kevin O'Connell will battle for the final quarterback spot.

He's a goner. But I don't think Clemens will be retained either, not for what he's making to be third on the depth chart.

I guess that is another reason we signed brunell. I think clemens will stay. we need at least 3 qbs. he knows the system. keeps his mouth shut. why not keep him. and i don't think it really matters who is labeled 2 or 3.

CORTLAND - Jets quarterback Erik Ainge recently entered a drug treatment/rehab facility for "recreational issues," according to sources. The Jets placed the fourth-year pro on the reserve/non-football illness list before the start of training camp.

This would be Ainge's second strike under the league's substance abuse policies, which means that he would be subject to an eight-game suspension upon his return. Ainge, who hasn't taken a regular-season snap in his first three seasons, was suspended for four games without pay in 2008 for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

Thug Turd........Good Riddance.

And another one bites the dust...oh well, onward we move and it better not be with Clemens. I don't care if he knows the system, the guys like his balls, etc...he sucks.

Hey Stalker:

Do you really think that O'conell is a better option?

I dont' know. I know that Clemens is bad, I just do not know if the kid is worse.....

Hey Stalker:

Do you really think that O'conell is a better option?

I dont' know. I know that Clemens is bad, I just do not know if the kid is worse.....

Oconnell is 100000% better than Clemens... I watched them practice and you would have thought Oconnell was the #2QB and Clemens was the walk on from a DIVIII school.

i posted this at nj.com jets forum and no one noticed... but a couple weekends ago i was in morristown and just got out of one of the bars and i ran into a couple guys i went to hs school w and they were like oh ur a jets fan rite? We know erik ainge

So of course i didnt believe them...... But they ended up callin him and we went to his apartment... Long story short.. Theyve sold him extacsy for the past year

Weird story... Funny this happens 2 weeks later

Oconnell is 100000% better than Clemens... I watched them practice and you would have thought Oconnell was the #2QB and Clemens was the walk on from a DIVIII school.

Thanks ECURB.

I live in DC and do not get the benefit of seeing any training camp stuff.

i posted this at nj.com jets forum and no one noticed... but a couple weekends ago i was in morristown and just got out of one of the bars and i ran into a couple guys i went to hs school w and they were like oh ur a jets fan rite? We know erik ainge

So of course i didnt believe them...... But they ended up callin him and we went to his apartment... Long story short.. Theyve sold him extacsy for the past year

People still do X?

Really?

But yeah, you could tell by Ainge's Tweets that he spent the off season at the club. Not surprised by any of this. Wish the kid knew better.

Best of luck to Mr. Ainge. Hope he tackles his problems and lives a clean, happy life.

it really is a small town world we live in-that's the thing about addicts is they never think anybody knows but people aren't stupid

That's tough to believe, last time it was for steroids and pain killers. I think everyone expects it to be pain killers. Maybe he did "E" once or twice. That sh*t tears your brain up, if he did that for a solid year the Jets would've noticed something.

I guess that is another reason we signed brunell. I think clemens will stay. we need at least 3 qbs. he knows the system. keeps his mouth shut. why not keep him. and i don't think it really matters who is labeled 2 or 3.

Sanchez, Brunell, Smith. ;)

We can't list Smith as the 3rd QB, because of the rules in the NFL. If he were to lineup at QB in a wild-cat or (tiger) formation say in the second quarter then Brunnell could not be used in the game.

Agreed, he can be the third option without listing him though. ;)

Archived