Sanchez: This Is MY Team

SoFlaJets

Jets QB Mark Sanchez: "This is my team"By Manish Mehta

CORTLAND - Mark Sanchez was barking at the line of scrimmage, his voice rising above the fray, when he finally got Kris Jenkins to take the bait. Right after the Jets’ second-year quarterback drew the veteran nose tackle off-side thanks a hard cadence, Sanchez tapped him on the helmet. The message: “It’s okay… but I got you.”

Sanchez’s metamorphosis from unsure rookie to unquestioned team leader has been startling.

“This is my team,” Sanchez said after today’s morning practice. “This is my offense. You need to own it…. When you walk in a room, people should know: That’s the quarterback. That’s our guy.”

Sanchez has looked more like a 10-year veteran than a sophomore quarterback hoping to bounce back from an uneven season. He’s embraced the responsibility of leading a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

“I do love that,” Sanchez said. “It’s an honor to be tagged like that especially on a team like this with Hall of Famers and great players. But that’s the way I’ve been taught by my parents. When I was in second grade on field trips, be first in line. Pick up other people’s trash. Pass out the fliers for the teacher.…. Now, it’s like, ‘This guy’s tired. I’ll pick up his pads for him… Hey you need some water?’ Really having that awareness to try to read other guys.”

“When they do a great job, you got o let them know,” Sanchez said of his leadership style. “When they do something wrong, you got to let them know. That’s probably the toughest part - to try to find your way. It’s a challenge to be a leader like that. You have to do it by example.”

To that end, he’s taken a proactive approach. From inviting his receivers to Southern California last month for what he dubbed “Jets West Camp” to making sure he’s keeping his collection of wide receivers happy, Sanchez has grown up.

“We want to champion these opportunities,” he said. “This is what we’re about. Either you love it or you don’t. I love having these guys. Now, it’s about me coming along.”

Although Sanchez was 8 of 17 with two interceptions this morning in 11-on-11 team drills, he hasn’t shied away from the spotlight. He’s embracing the pressure.

“Against this defense, there’s pressure all the time,” Sanchez said. “As frustrating as it is sometimes, even on your worst day, there’s nothing I’d rather be doing. This is what I want. I want to make it happen. I want to make the throws. I want to make the right checks. And I think the guys see that. So there’s nothing to be scared about. Just get them the ball. At the end of the day, just remember: Don’t’ do it all.”

NOTE:

Sanchez said that Santonio Holmes, who is scheduled to arrive today after an excused absence, will be his roommate during training camp.

“He requested me,” Sanchez cracked. “It’s like winter formal. The girl asked the guy.”

NOTE:

Sanchez said that Santonio Holmes, who is scheduled to arrive today after an excused absence, will be his roommate during training camp.

“He requested me,” Sanchez cracked. “It’s like winter formal. The girl asked the guy.”

WHAAAAA? How does Holmes feel about that qoute?

NOTE:

Sanchez is so gay LOL

NOTE:

That's cause Santonio knows that So Cal is where all the good weed's at.

NOTE:

I bet Sanchez saw the Holmes shower pose--- :lol:

Thats great. His cadence got Jenkins to jump off sides. He also threw 3 picks. But at least its his team.

The model wants Hung to room with him. Oh boy.

I understand not being sold on Sanchez being the man yet but this is ridiculous. Where does this venom come from?

He's a good kid who is saying and doing all of the right things so far.

Have we really become this cynical that a kid who led his team all the way to the AFC Championship Game after an admittedly shaky rookie year doesn't even get one game into his second season before you're slamming him for interceptions thrown in PRACTICE? Not a GAME, PRACTICE?

I understand not being sold on Sanchez being the man yet but this is ridiculous. Where does this venom come from?

He's a good kid who is saying and doing all of the right things so far.

Have we really become this cynical that a kid who led his team all the way to the AFC Championship Game after an admittedly shaky rookie year doesn't even get one game into his second season before you're slamming him for interceptions thrown in PRACTICE? Not a GAME, PRACTICE?

I'd rather the model not throw picks and say all the wrong things rather than say all the right things and throw picks.

I'd rather the model not throw picks and say all the wrong things rather than say all the right things and throw picks.

It is a double edge sword... you want him to throw INTs and TDs in training camp... if he is not throwing INTs the defense is blowing it.

It is a double edge sword... you want him to throw INTs and TDs in training camp... if he is not throwing INTs the defense is blowing it.

Yes. And its also a good sign when a player makes mistakes in practice... It means he is pushing himself to get better and stumbling as a result. I'd be worried if he was completing 100% of his passes in Training Camp. I

That would mean either the defense is doing something very wrong or Sanchez is taking the easy way out on a lot of plays and not attempting to improve his game.

ts one of the oldest mantras in the coaching world... "If you're not messing up in practice, you won't get better in games"

Reminds me of the yearly pennington articles.. rather hear about him going 7-11 with 3 td's and no picks..

You clearly dont remember the Chad era very well... He would always have good training camp #s... He'd look a lot worse once the season started. Again, Id rather see a young QB push himself to the point where hes making mistakes that he can learn from in practice than see him complete 8 of 9 5-10 yd passes to rbs out of the backfield or wr's/te's running simple out-routes.

You clearly dont remember the Chad era very well... He would always have good training camp #s... He'd look a lot worse once the season started. Again, Id rather see a young QB push himself to the point where hes making mistakes that he can learn from in practice than see him complete 8 of 9 5-10 yd passes to rbs out of the backfield or wr's/te's running simple out-routes.

great post-that's exactly right ggm-all Chad does is dump it off and complete pass after pass and when coaches look at the stats "Well Penny completed 85% of his passes and the other guy 50%-we have to go with the savvy vet right?"

heh? I'm talking about the feel good fluff peace the op posted. Chad always had these types of articles written about him, less about his play and more about his intangibles..

I never said I wanted Sanchez to be a dump off chadHomo. You can go 7-11 and not play like a yellow bastard

heh? I'm talking about the feel good fluff peace the op posted. Chad always had these types of articles written about him, less about his play and more about his intangibles..

I never said I wanted Sanchez to be a dump off chadHomo. You can go 7-11 and not play like a yellow bastard

why are intangibles a bad thing ?

that is so retarded

oh, and chad never practiced against the #1 defense

why are intangibles a bad thing ?

that is so retarded

oh, and chad never practiced against the #1 defense

Because they're make believe?

That, and when they're all you've got, like was the case with Chad, then all you really have is a cheerleader in pads.

I see your point. Chad had intangibles...Due to his lack of skill, those intangibles are what made him millions. Mark too has intangibles, which is great and I do like to hear about it. The one thing I liked most about this article was his quote where he said he has to remember all these things but not to do it all by himself. He is learning on the job and his improvements as a leader (and hopefully player) are beginning to show. Sanchez rode as shaky of an emotional roller coaster ride as a rookie has probably ever rode in the NFL before. Starting off 3-0...Losing 4 straight or 4 of 5... Finishing 9-7 by winning 3 of the last 4 because teams rested their starters...To the Cinci and SD playoff wins, to the 2nd half beat-down the Colts gave us after we went into halftime of the AFCCG with a 3 pt lead...

Glad to see he is learning from that experience. Hopefully it results in more W's for us this season and postseason.

That, and when they're all you've got, like was the case with Chad, then all you really have is a cheerleader in pads.

yeah, NFL QB's don't need things like leadership or guts

whatever

They are not make believe. How is that so? Strong leaders at key positions are critical to the success of a team. Saying intangibles do not exist and/or are meaningless couldn't be more wrong.

Why do you think everyone loves playing for Rex?? His aesthetic appeal? Gimme a break.

I pray that Sanchez learns a little more dumpoff Chadhomo. That's what was missing last year. It's good to dump it off, as long as you can sling it when you have to.

it also helps if you have RB's that don't have hands like The Thingmarvel_the_thing.jpgnow he has LT and even Shonn caught one today and took it 70 yards for score. TJ and Greene last year were never even considered for screens because that was Leon's job

They are not make believe. How is that so? Strong leaders at key positions are critical to the success of a team. Saying intangibles do not exist and/or are meaningless couldn't be more wrong.

Why do you think everyone loves playing for Rex?? His aesthetic appeal? Gimme a break.

First, Rex is the coach. Coaches don't play.

Leadership comes from success at the QB position. You think Jamarcus Russell failed because he wasn't a good leader? Or, you think he failed because he sucked?

By all accounts, Big Ben is a huge dickhead, yet he's still the leader of the Steelers, because he wins.

Point CTM and I are making. Be good. The rest will fall in line.

First, Rex is the coach. Coaches don't play.

Leadership comes from success at the QB position. You think Jamarcus Russell failed because he wasn't a good leader? Or, you think he failed because he sucked?

By all accounts, Big Ben is a huge dickhead, yet he's still the leader of the Steelers, because he wins.

Point CTM and I are making. Be good. The rest will fall in line.

...And people love playing for Rex because he has the right intangibles to be a good leader, regardless of if he plays or not. Success is not possible at the QB position without leadership. Being a good leader and a dickhead are not mutually exclusive. I guarantee you, regardless of whether or not people liked him, that before Big Ben ever won anything in the NFL. His teammates and coaches all looked at him as the leader of that offense. When he walked in the room, the guys all knew he was there and that that was his team. No successful QB ever had any success without these so called intangibles.

You don't win and then become a better leader. You win BECAUSE you ARE a good leader.

...And people love playing for Rex because he has the right intangibles to be a good leader, regardless of if he plays or not. Success is not possible at the QB position without leadership. Being a good leader and a dickhead are not mutually exclusive. I guarantee you, regardless of whether or not people liked him, that before Big Ben ever won anything in the NFL. His teammates and coaches all looked at him as the leader of that offense. When he walked in the room, the guys all knew he was there and that that was his team. No successful QB ever had any success without these so called intangibles.

You don't win and then become a better leader. You win BECAUSE you ARE a good leader.

I still think you are missing the point. To be a winner, you need the combination of skill and leadership. If you have the skill set its easier to win than if you just have the leadership. Once you've proved you have the skillz, its easier to be a leader because teammates see what you bring on the field.

Throwing picks left and right, doesnt earn you that respect. Rex has earned that respect because he's proved he's a bad a$$ mother ****er. As a Qb, winning is proving yourself. You lead your team to victory. Thats hard to do throwing the ball to the other team. Doesnt matter how great of a leader you are if you are doing this on regular basis.

The problem with this theory is that all these guys were winners at the lower levels. The difference between NFL Qbs and NCAA Qbs isn't their leadership skills. By your definition guys couldn't win in Pop Warner without "intangibles".

Archived