Revis camp has submitted written offer to Jets

Jetfan13

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis proposal would make him a "Jet for life"

Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2010 4:02 PM ET

The Jets have been more than willing to make proposals to holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis. Recently, Revis made a proposal of his own.

Agent Neil Schwartz says that the proposal, if accepted, would make Revis a "Jet for life."

The proposal was presented at a recent meeting between Schwartz and G.M. Mike Tannenbaum. Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com first reported the fact that a meeting occurred and that Team Revis made a new proposal.

Schwartz confirmed that the Jets have yet to respond with a thumb's up, a thumb's down, or, possibly, a middle finger with the literal translation of the gesture painted on the nail.

"I asked Mike Tannenbaum to take it to Mr. Johnson," Schwartz said. "We're still awaiting a response."

We're not sure why it has taken the Jets three days to assess the proposal and respond to it, especially since coach Rex Ryan still regards him as the best cornerback in football. If the answer is "no," they should just say so. If the answer is "yes," they should get the paperwork together and get the deal done.

Our guess? The Jets likely think they'll gain some leverage if Revis doesn't report by Tuesday, August 10, since he'd lose a year of service toward free agency.

Our next guess? Revis doesn't care about losing a year of service toward free agency at this point.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/09/revis-proposal-would-make-him-a-jet-for-life/

The Jets have been more than willing to make proposals to holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis. Recently, Revis made a proposal of his own.

Agent Neil Schwartz says that the proposal, if accepted, would make Revis a "Jet for life."

The proposal was presented at a recent meeting between Schwartz and G.M. Mike Tannenbaum. Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com first reported the fact that a meeting occurred and that Team Revis made a new proposal.

Schwartz confirmed that the Jets have yet to respond with a thumb's up, a thumb's down, or, possibly, a middle finger with the literal translation of the gesture painted on the nail.

"I asked Mike Tannenbaum to take it to Mr. Johnson," Schwartz said. "We're still awaiting a response."

We're not sure why it has taken the Jets three days to assess the proposal and respond to it, especially since coach Rex Ryan still regards him as the best cornerback in football. If the answer is "no," they should just say so. If the answer is "yes," they should get the paperwork together and get the deal done.

Our guess? The Jets likely think they'll gain some leverage if Revis doesn't report by Tuesday, August 10, since he'd lose a year of service toward free agency.

Our next guess? Revis doesn't care about losing a year of service toward free agency at this point.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/09/revis-proposal-would-make-him-a-jet-for-life/

My guess? The contract proposal isn't clear-cut and simple. There is a lot of uncertainty with the CBA situation that the contract would have to work around. Also we don't know if the money in the proposal is reasonable from the Jets perspective. There's no way they'd be willing to pay Revis 15m/year for the next 10 years. After everything is checked in the contract by both Woody and Tanny, Im sure theres going to be a few things they want to tweak before Revis signs the dotted line. My best guess is that the Jets are finishing up reviewing the offer, and instead of just saying "no, come again", theyre probably in the process of creating a counter-offer that they feel will be fair to both sides. As I said, it'll probably be at least a week until we start hearing that any sort of resolution is imminent.

it is obvious that revis wants to be a jet.i am starting to re-think my position that revis wont get a long term contract.maybe tanny wasnt too far off with his contract offer,and revis got a little hot headed about it.maybe what revis needed was a little time to really think about it.maybe revis has come to the realization that security for life means more than just being the top paid corner back,period.both parties are talking "jet for life".m,aybe it is taking tanny so long,because he does not agree with all the terms but thinks an agreement can be reached with a little "tweeking".one can hope.i couldnt think of a better deal out there than having a reasonable contract making revis a jet for life.they would have to make it a new york holiday

I cannot see that happening. Im not sure if he'll be in uniform for the Ravens week 1... But by mid-season at the latest Revis will be on the field.

I dont see either side moving their stance. The Jets dont want to give out signing bonuses with the uncertainty of next season and Revis doesnt want to risk injury getting paid basically the minimum...especially when he is the top player at his position.

Both sides have their postition...and I dont think either are willing to compromise. I cant really fault either side in this.

it is obvious that revis wants to be a jet.

Why?

It's obvious he wants more money. He also knows (or at least his representation knows) that the Jets hold his rights for the next 3 football seasons he decides to play. So, it's to his advantage he to get that money from the Jets.

Why?

It's obvious he wants more money. He also knows (or at least his representation knows) that the Jets hold his rights for the next 3 football seasons he decides to play. So, it's to his advantage he to get that money from the Jets.

Besides, his agent's probably submitted a contract proposal that outlines a particularly obvious season where he will hold out next.

Besides, his agent's probably submitted a contract proposal that outlines a particularly obvious season where he will hold out next.

That's what I was thinking.

In hindsight it was blatantly obvious that they were preparing to hold out this season, no matter what happened last season. Guess we fault Tanny for that? The Jets had to see this coming.

That's what I was thinking.

In hindsight it was blatantly obvious that they were preparing to hold out this season, no matter what happened last season. Guess we fault Tanny for that? The Jets had to see this coming.

They did sign Cromartie and draft Wilson. When you think about it, it had to have been calculated.

Revis aint playin this year folks.

Jets just shiit on Revis camp latest offer:

Woody Johnson Not Optimistic About Revis Situation

BY LISA ZIMMERMAN ON 09. AUG, 2010

CORTLAND–Woody Johnson spoke to the media after today’s afternoon practice to address the situation with Darrelle Revis. Johnson, who was filled in on the three-hour meeting that GM Mike Tannenbaum had with Revis’ agents on Friday, was asked if he was still optimistic about getting a deal done before the season starts. His response was a simple and emphatic, “No.”

Tannenbaum added, “My impression is no progress. Nothing new and different.”

The bottom line, “Fundamentally there really hasn’t been a change,” Tannenbaum said. “We still have fundamental differences of opinion on what the appropriate compensation should be. When there’s an appropriate deal to be made, I have no idea.”

An added element of this saga is that any player who has not reported to training camp by midnight tomorrow (August 10th) will lose an entire accrued season, regardless if he plays after that. This could ultimately affect Revis’ free agent status down the line.

it is obvious that revis wants to be a jet.i am starting to re-think my position that revis wont get a long term contract.maybe tanny wasnt too far off with his contract offer,and revis got a little hot headed about it.maybe what revis needed was a little time to really think about it.maybe revis has come to the realization that security for life means more than just being the top paid corner back,period.both parties are talking "jet for life".m,aybe it is taking tanny so long,because he does not agree with all the terms but thinks an agreement can be reached with a little "tweeking".one can hope.i couldnt think of a better deal out there than having a reasonable contract making revis a jet for life.they would have to make it a new york holiday

well,there goes that idea.wishful thinking will get you nowhere.to my defense,i did use alot of maybe's.lol

Jets are gonna start dragging Revis through the dirt.

I'm gonna side with the Billionaire thats trying to put together a contender. Not the Millionaire punk.

who held out before he signed his current deal ,and now is holding out 1/2 way through the deal he held out for..

Even if he signs a new deal, we can fully expect another hold out in 2 years or so..

He has his Uncle Seans DNA

Revis played his last game as a Jet in Indy.

On to the next one.

Then honestly, the Jets should ensure that he played his last game in the NFL as well. With only 1M due to him whenever he returns, there's no reason to trade him.

In any deal I gave Revis, it would have to include a clause which forfeited and retired repayment of ALL guaranteed money if he were to hold out again.

Then honestly, the Jets should ensure that he played his last game in the NFL as well. With only 1M due to him whenever he returns, there's no reason to trade him.

Agreed. An example needs to be made here. If Revis chooses to holdout the season, do not award this guy by trading him. Exercise the buy back option. If he chooses to not report, fine. If he chooses to report, make him a backup so he cannot maximize his contract numbers and he cannot maximize his marketability. By the time he is free of the Jets in 2013, ensure that he has played no football for 1-3 years and has played only backup football for the remaining years.

Revis WANTS to hold out for a year so he can be like his hero Sean Gilbert.

Ever notice you never hear word one about Revis' father? Did his mom go to a sperm bank or something? Sean Gilbert is obviously the father figure in his life and he wants to make pretend daddy happy by being just like him. Then pretend daddy will love him and he can stop crying himself to sleep at night.

Revis WANTS to hold out for a year so he can be like his hero Sean Gilbert.

Ever notice you never hear word one about Revis' father? Did his mom go to a sperm bank or something? Sean Gilbert is obviously the father figure in his life and he wants to make pretend daddy happy by being just like him. Then pretend daddy will love him and he can stop crying himself to sleep at night.

This is definitely the most likely reason for the holdout.

Agreed. An example needs to be made here. If Revis chooses to holdout the season, do not award this guy by trading him. Exercise the buy back option. If he chooses to not report, fine. If he chooses to report, make him a backup so he cannot maximize his contract numbers and he cannot maximize his marketability. By the time he is free of the Jets in 2013, ensure that he has played no football for 1-3 years and has played only backup football for the remaining years.

Aside from being morally questionable this will lead to a soap opera atmosphere for 1-3 years. Woody seems to have a low tolerance for that. I am sure he would trade Revis before any of this happens.

My preference would be to trade him for Champ Bailey. Champ is a class act and still has some years left in him. Because of the age difference Denver would have a motive for trading a CB for a CB.

who held out before he signed his current deal ,and now is holding out 1/2 way through the deal he held out for..

Even if he signs a new deal, we can fully expect another hold out in 2 years or so..

He has his Uncle Seans DNA

Yup, and if Revis is making unreasonable demands, the Jets are doing the right thing here.

I'd let him rot the next 3-4 years, but they'll probably trade him next year.

Aside from being morally questionable this will lead to a soap opera atmosphere for 1-3 years. Woody seems to have a low tolerance for that. I am sure he would trade Revis before any of this happens.

My preference would be to trade him for Champ Bailey. Champ is a class act and still has some years left in him. Because of the age difference Denver would have a motive for trading a CB for a CB.

Frankly I'm not into giving him what he wants. Woody wants to build the value of his brand and the best way to do that is by winning a championship. By Revis possibly holding out the season, he is actively preventing Woody from accomplishing this. Revis being in doesn't gurantee a championship, but it helps. Revis being out doesn't gurantee not winning a championship, but it hurts just the same.

I'm still hoping both sides work a deal out and I'm not willing at this point to give up on Revis just yet (I'm mad, but all can be forgiven), but if he endangers a championship run, that can never be forgiven.

One thing I will tell you is this: Regardless of whether a deal can be worked out or not, I would NEVER draft or sign another Schwartz/Feingold client. They have shown themselves to be untrustworthy.

Why doesn`t he just sack his team of agents? their cut of the cake alone would more than make up for the difference between both camps.

I can negotiate with my boss and check my bank balance each week to make sure the money has gone in....well actually I can`t

because I`m unemployed and have about 55p to my name, and my current employers are the wonderful British government who last

week decided I wasn`t doing enough to find a job and boned me over £130, so I couldn`t pay my mortgage and had to borrow money.

But that aside who has who`s best interests at heart here?

Are his agents pushing this to maximize their cut or are they pushing for the best for #24?

I don`t understand why he can`t sit down with Rex, Tanny and Mr Johnson and work something out that will allow him

the financial freedom to go out and buy a boat or a tank or an army of squirrels or a small island or something??

Does he want to own me? I`d gladly sell him my soul if it got him in camp and ready for the season and let me keep my house.

As a fan from the UK for 25 years I want a Superbowl, dammit I demand one now! and we`re so bloody well close!

I`m lost as to why this is taking so long, methinks someone is being ill-advised and needs to decide whether he wants

to be remembered as the bestest most brilliant CB in the game or a greedy numpty who won`t take his career by the balls

and make the most important decisions on on his own.

I have no wage and today I ate a lettuce that cost me 40p, and I don`t think it gave me my required amount of vitamins

but nevermind, I`ve still a house over my head, it might be falling down but until winter arrives I`ll be warm and alive.

Before I get scurvy or really bad dandruff or mad sheeps disease let me tell you I love love love the following....

Nick Mangold

David Harris

D`Brickashaw

Belinda Carlisle

Cyndi Lauper

Money does change things, and for those of us without, it changes things dramatically, don`t be greedy.

Personally I haven`t got a pot to piss in, my electricity is on emergency credit and I don`t know how I`m going

to pay my next mortgage bill, but even if I become a tramp/hobo on the streets I will strive to hear how the Jets

are doing and if that means going through refuse bins/trash cans to find out how my beloved Jets are doing then

so be it, I would do that, would you ever care about something so much you would do that Mr Revis and your agents?

I hate my life but I love the New York Jets, I love them so very very much they make me cry.

Goodnight from England

No matter what it is with the JETS theres always an ugly side. If Revis opts to sit out the season enjoy watching the JETS win the Super Bowl without you.

Look at Tiki and Shockey. I love how Tiki bitched and then missed out on that super bowl win. Even though Shockey got a ring he didn't earn one until last year.

They need to get the deal done and do it now. There is no way the Jets are going to get remotely close to where they were last year without Revis. Woody needs to pay up if he wants a shot at the title.

or...maybe we find out that it was a lot more of Rex Ryan's defensive schemes that made him as good as he was last year

They need to get the deal done and do it now. There is no way the Jets are going to get remotely close to where they were last year without Revis. Woody needs to pay up if he wants a shot at the title.

Revis wants $16M per year and probably (through signing bonus or otherwise) something like $40M guaranteed.

So then what's your proposal, that the Jets pay it? lol

Archived