How nice is it...

Klecko73isGod

Meh, I've watched LT a few times over the last few seasons, he better be much improved. Tough to get excited over some pre-season plays. It's encouraging and I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong but I don't expect LT to offer much at all on the ground this season.

Rooting like hell for him though. Pure class.

Meh, I've watched LT a few times over the last few seasons, he better be much improved. Tough to get excited over some pre-season plays. It's encouraging and I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong but I don't expect LT to offer much at all on the ground this season.

Rooting like hell for him though. Pure class.

This. I'll gladly eat that crow...but he did look quick on a few plays.

to have two RBs capable of doing more than simply running into the line and falling down?

How nice is it to have two RBs who can make people miss and/or break tackles?

How nice is it to not have to watch Thomas Jones anymore?

Yeah it is going to be a piece of cake replaceing 1,400 yds.

LT looked good enough that I was ready for the Jets to pull him out of there. If he does have some gas in the tank, no use burning it all in the preseason.

McKnight needs to show a lot more. Like to see him with the first team OL, and I'd like to see him running patterns, but he was not impressive last night.

Danny Woodhead's definitely making a case for a roster spot. He looked like LT's true backup.

I'll grant you it was a small sample size but I don't know what game you guys were watching because apart from 1 good display of YAC, LT didn't do anything last night. What was his long run, 4 yards?

Ok, here's LT's statline for carries: 8 for 17. EIGHT for SEVENTEEN. That is putrid.

I'll grant you it was a small sample size but I don't know what game you guys were watching because apart from 1 good display of YAC, LT didn't do anything last night. What was his long run, 4 yards?

Ok, here's LT's statline for carries: 8 for 17. EIGHT for SEVENTEEN. That is putrid.

you must have missed the beautiful run he made or the sweet play he made with the reception out of the backfield. if ur trying to tell me LT didn't look good last night then your just gonna sound silly

His best run was called back on a bullsh*t holding call. And it was a run Thomas Jones is physically incapable of making.

I don't get the Thomas Jones hate. He was a good player for the Jets, and I'd feel a lot better about the state of the ground & pound if he were still with the team. The power running game is non-existent if Greene is hurt for any period of time. I think RB is a position where the Jets really need to watch the waiver wire. They need another guy who can bang between the tackles - unless they think one of their FB's can handle that job in a pinch. I went into last night's game thinking that McKnight was a lock for a roster spot. He probably still is, but he shouldn't be.

I don't get the Thomas Jones hate. He was a good player for the Jets, and I'd feel a lot better about the state of the ground & pound if he were still with the team. The power running game is non-existent if Greene is hurt for any period of time. I think RB is a position where the Jets really need to watch the waiver wire. They need another guy who can bang between the tackles - unless they think one of their FB's can handle that job in a pinch. I went into last night's game thinking that McKnight was a lock for a roster spot. He probably still is, but he shouldn't be.

Because Thomas Jones is terrible and a good running back would have had 1700+ behind that o-line last year.

Did you watch Thomas Jones down the stretch and in the playoffs last year? The dude has nothing left. How can you honestly say you'd be more comfortable with him still on the team?

LT is interesting but if they lose Shonn Greene they are screwed. That still hasn't changed.

This. LT surprised me last night with a couple of bursts of quickness, I really didnt think he still had...but I'm not banking that will persist as the season goes on. If Greene goes down, we are in trouble.

Your boy Woodhead really does make an interesting case. If I'm going into the season right now, he's way ahead of McKnight in terms of someone I trust in the backfield.

to have two RBs capable of doing more than simply running into the line and falling down?

How nice is it to have two RBs who can make people miss and/or break tackles?

How nice is it to not have to watch Thomas Jones anymore?

I can't wait to bump this thread during say, week 13.

Because Thomas Jones is terrible and a good running back would have had 1700+ behind that o-line last year.

Did you watch Thomas Jones down the stretch and in the playoffs last year? The dude has nothing left. How can you honestly say you'd be more comfortable with him still on the team?

Down the stretch he looked weak but then again, how many carries had he accumulated by then? I mean you've got to give him something for the fatigue factor. Why are you disregarding what happened before "the stretch"?

Shonn Greene is a more effective running back in his initial carries, of that there's little doubt. But it's rather odd to me to say that Greene being more effective in his first 50 carries than Jones in his 500th means that Greene is a marked improvement overall.

I say that for several reasons, first Jones has proven himself to be durable whereas Greene has not.

Also, Jones is underrated in the sense that he NEVER fumbles the football. I mean, if memory serves he had precisely zero fumbles last season while being top 5 in carries in the AFC. That is an incredible accomplishment. Why is Jones not given credit for his durability and holding on to the football?

Yes, I'd rather have Greene on my team over Jones at this point, due to age and explosiveness, but it's very useful to have a back like Thomas Jones who will get you what the line gives you every time, who won't screw up in a big spot and who can go out there and give you twenty carries a game over and over again.

The debate about Jones almost reminds me of the one with Pennington. To quote The Onion, "the question: is he any good? elicits far too long of a response." Anyway, it is a long debate, it's exhausting and seemingly impossible to resolve. Pro-Jones will take up the points I've raised here, anti-Jones will say that any back could have done what he did and that he has "no moves" and can't break tackles.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying Jones was a great back, but I vehemently disagree with the idea that "any" running back could have done what he did last year. He is a low speed back with little agility but highly durable, highly dependable and an excellent carrier.

I'd be very happy with Thomas Jones in a part time role. He's no great shakes, but he's reliable. We really don't have that behind Greene right now.

Don't hate Thomas Jones, just think he was a product of the system.

Down the stretch he looked weak but then again, how many carries had he accumulated by then? I mean you've got to give him something for the fatigue factor. Why are you disregarding what happened before "the stretch"?

Shonn Greene is a more effective running back in his initial carries, of that there's little doubt. But it's rather odd to me to say that Greene being more effective in his first 50 carries than Jones in his 500th means that Greene is a marked improvement overall.

I say that for several reasons, first Jones has proven himself to be durable whereas Greene has not.

Also, Jones is underrated in the sense that he NEVER fumbles the football. I mean, if memory serves he had precisely zero fumbles last season while being top 5 in carries in the AFC. That is an incredible accomplishment. Why is Jones not given credit for his durability and holding on to the football?

Yes, I'd rather have Greene on my team over Jones at this point, due to age and explosiveness, but it's very useful to have a back like Thomas Jones who will get you what the line gives you every time, who won't screw up in a big spot and who can go out there and give you twenty carries a game over and over again.

The debate about Jones almost reminds me of the one with Pennington. To quote The Onion, "the question: is he any good? elicits far too long of a response." Anyway, it is a long debate, it's exhausting and seemingly impossible to resolve. Pro-Jones will take up the points I've raised here, anti-Jones will say that any back could have done what he did and that he has "no moves" and can't break tackles.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying Jones was a great back, but I vehemently disagree with the idea that "any" running back could have done what he did last year. He is a low speed back with little agility but highly durable, highly dependable and an excellent carrier.

Which is a red herring because Greene hasn't had the oppportunity to do so yet. I will say this, I'd rather take my chances on a 24 year old bull like Greene than a 32 year old Jones who we know will have nothing left in December and January.

Which is what I think you will see with him in KC this year.

331 carries last year and just two fumbles.

Jones won't have to be the feature back in KC. With him and Charles sharing the load this year KC is going to have a very potent running attack.

I don't think Greene will get anywhere near that amount, nor should he. Hopefully Tomlinson shows that he can be a 150 carry guy and be the safetly valve out the backfield that Sanchez needed last year after Washington got hurt.

The Jets simply did what the really good teams (Steelers, Eagles) do. When then next guy is ready you put him and move the incumbent out. They feel Greene is ready. Hopefully he is.

Archived