Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

That's a great idea, but do you seriously think the NFLPA would agree to something like that?

It would be in their best interests. Here's a hypothetical

You sign a WR to a contract for 3 years and you agree to pay him $6 million per year.

In the contract it states that if this WR plays over 85% of offensive snaps he has to amass 1000yards per season to meet his obligations

If he plays only 65% of the snaps he has to amass 600 yards

at 50% he has to amass 450 yards, etc.

If the player takes himself off the field for any reason he is in breach. The determination of the snaps percentage only applies to the team making that decision.

So long as those conditions are met, that WR is guaranteed that salary.

If the WR gets injured, he still gets his full salary, but you could put a clause in their that states that he has to go to all rehabilitation programs as required by a third party medical professional.

It works for the owners because they can protect themselves against one and done performers. If somebody does not perform, they are given only a small percentage of their contract, or maybe nothing at all.

If the team tries to play games with the players performance, they are still on the hook for the full salary. They gain nothing.

And to top it all off you introduce arbitration into the system to prevent the owners and players from finding loop holes in the wording.

Just an idea.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players don't care about "playoff runs".

All they care about is the money.

I don't think that is true. For Revis it is about ego more than anything. In all honesty what is the difference between $100M + $120M + $160M? You are financially secure with any of those contracts, so what is it really about? For Revis it's about being the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

The thing he fails to realize is that all of the mega-contracts were signed in a FA year - not w/3 years left to play on the rookie deal.

The whole Aso argument is inherently flawed. You can't compare contracts between teams + owners, period. What happens next - "I want Roy Williams $$ at WR" - because J Jones overpaid? Then what? - "I want 10x what V Gholston got because I am at least 10x better than him".

It would be in their best interests. Here's a hypothetical

You sign a WR to a contract for 3 years and you agree to pay him $6 million per year.

In the contract it states that if this WR plays over 85% of offensive snaps he has to amass 1000yards per season to meet his obligations

If he plays only 65% of the snaps he has to amass 600 yards

at 50% he has to amass 450 yards, etc.

If the player takes himself off the field for any reason he is in breach. The determination of the snaps percentage only applies to the team making that decision.

So long as those conditions are met, that WR is guaranteed that salary.

If the WR gets injured, he still gets his full salary, but you could put a clause in their that states that he has to go to all rehabilitation programs as required by a third party medical professional.

It works for the owners because they can protect themselves against one and done performers. If somebody does not perform, they are given only a small percentage of their contract, or maybe nothing at all.

If the team tries to play games with the players performance, they are still on the hook for the full salary. They gain nothing.

And to top it all off you introduce arbitration into the system to prevent the owners and players from finding loop holes in the wording.

Just an idea.

Just an idea?

Sounds like a great solution.

You're example says it all.

At the NFLPA meeting last month we were told one of the key sticking points to the new CBA being finalizes is the way the teams vs. the PA wants to deal with injured players, their contracts, and when they can be cut from teams vs. what kind of money the team will owe the players.

The owners also do not want to allow the players the option to go get a second opinion from any doctor they want a set list of approved doctors much like they have for financial advisors and worker's compensation lawyers.

Otherwise, SLATS is pretty much on the money.

Just an idea?

Sounds like a great solution.

You're example says it all.

I have long thought there should be an arbitration process, particularly during contract disputes that can not be resolved. I know the NFLPA would fight that tooth and nail. I also often wonder about having no trade clauses incorporated into NFL contracts as well like MLB does.

At the NFLPA meeting last month we were told one of the key sticking points to the new CBA being finalizes is the way the teams vs. the PA wants to deal with injured players, their contracts, and when they can be cut from teams vs. what kind of money the team will owe the players.

The owners also do not want to allow the players the option to go get a second opinion from any doctor they want a set list of approved doctors much like they have for financial advisors and worker's compensation lawyers.

Obviously there is a gigantic trust concern. The way to overcome that is give authority to a third party association that already exists that has the sole purpose of determining the best medical actions to take. You need a neutral party. Both the owners and the players have proven to be very difficult to deal with. I think that the PA should fight tooth and nail for injured players rights. The owners will simply have to realize that the risk involved with a player becoming injured is something that they are going to have to deal with. To put it simply, it is the cost of doing business.

The owners and players cannot have all reward and no risk in any situation. They must share the risk associated with being in business.

It's almost surreal in how the NFL does business compared to the rest of the country (minus the US government itself).

Hey vitony, do you think Revis has any concerns about his image or the public's perception of this contract mess? I also wonder if he is cconcerned about how his teammates will look at him from here on out?

I am sure you dealt with other players in similar situations, what goes through their minds when their image is being negatively impacted the way that Revis's clearly is right now?

Thanks, Slats. I read Jason's website article on the handout. Revis will be a RFA, and we'd have to see what teams would give him in an offer sheet.

You mention poison pill but we have to see if any team would give Revis wants. I doubt that happens without a new CBA.

I wish I worked for the jets somehow. I would quit being an agent tomorrow if Tanny would hire me. But to answer your question, yes we have access to a database that the NFLPA puts up that has every contract and all the details.

As far as getting paid, it comes from the player not the team.

thanks for responding, I always wondered about that B)

How many years he has left does not mean a thing. Would it be nice if he honored his contract? Yeah, but he is undoubtedly the best CB in the game and will be for the better part of this decade. As long as he stays healthy.

I find it funny people slam him for dong this when they would do the same thing if the shoe was on their feet.

That's not true at all.

Jets fans are all about honor, not money. 90% of them would happily work for a fraction of their worth in exchange for the high standing involved in honoring a contract.

If POTW Bot is ever going to return, this would be a good time for it.

I love how you 3 genius clowns claim to know what anybody else would do.

Conceded much?

I guess it would be a waste to tell the "holy" trinity of all knowing, that not everybody would do what they perceive.

You guys should go on a honeymoon, you deserve each other.

Archived