Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

By Mark J. Miller

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is taking his holdout to a whole new level, according to Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole. His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants.

He becomes a free agent next year but wants the team to give him a new deal now that pays him more than league-salary-leading cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) of the Oakland Raiders who makes $15.17 million average a year.

Cole notes that Revis is saying that he's ready to never play for the Jets "ever again" and he may just sit out the season like his uncle Sean Gilbert once did with the Washington Redskins when he wanted between $4 million and $5 million and the team was "only" offering $3.2 million. Gilbert moved on to the Carolina Panthers the following season for $7 million.

It's looking like Revis may be ready to do the same kind of thing.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now I hope the Jets play hardball with this scumbag and let his talents go to waste the whole length of his contract with us-I'm sorry but The Jets are right on this one and Revis and Uncle Sean are wrong-**** him let him sit let him rot

now I hope the Jets play hardball with this scumbag and let his talents go to waste the whole length of his contract with us-I'm sorry but The Jets are right on this one and Revis and Uncle Sean are wrong-**** him let him sit let him rot

there is no right and wrong in professional football. there is only wins and losses.

Agreed. I tend lean towards the player in most instances, but this guy is an A**hole!!!! I thought he was under contract for three years with us being able to buy the last two years? Why does that article say that he is a FA next season?

Agreed. I tend lean towards the player in most instances, but this guy is an A**hole!!!! I thought he was under contract for three years with us being able to buy the last two years? Why does that article say that he is a FA next season?

he signed a 5 year deal Kyle and has played 2-3 years left-let him sit, let him rot and make him pay the fines he owes BY sitting-I agree with Matt Drago there too-John Abraham used to be my least favorite Jet-Revis I frigging hate

If Revis doesn't sign this weekend and my psychic vision is wrong then he will never play another down for the New York Jets. I want the asking price to be so unreasonable so as to make him unattainable to anybody unless it's a Ditka for Ricky Williams type deal-give us all 7 of your draft picks and next year's #1 too and you can have Revis

Where the f^ck does Jason Cole get his information? Do he and Cowlishaw share a source?

Everyone's so quick to pounce on anything anti-Revis. :rolleyes:

Hey... Maybe I just hate my job and am passively aggressive toward anything that won't get me fired... wait... I'm not supposed to be on message boards while at work either.

F**K REVIS!!!!!

there is no right and wrong in professional football. there is only wins and losses.

Sean Gilbert wasn't wrong. He was a FA, who was slapped with the franchise tag and didn't like it. He was allowed to not sign the tender.

Darelle Revis, on the other hand, is under contract for 3 more years... a contract HE HELD OUT to get.

he signed a 5 year deal Kyle and has played 2-3 years left-let him sit, let him rot and make him pay the fines he owes BY sitting-I agree with Matt Drago there too-John Abraham used to be my least favorite Jet-Revis I frigging hate

But the Jets approached Revis about fixing the deal and making things right. 1 Mil isnt fair money for a top flight CB. If Revis breaks a leg like L Washington he'll never see the remainder of his 5 year deal.

I really believe the Jets will cave and pony up a little more money after the season has begun.

Everyone needs to remember there are 3 sides to the story. Jets side, Revis' side and the truth muddled in the middle. The contract thing seems kind of tricky and he I don't think he can be a free agent next year, if the CBA was still in place, he would have had enough service time after this season, which is why the Jets had the option to guarantee that 20 mill he gave up. That money is no longer guaranteed. Since the CBA went away, he needs two more years of service, so the FA stuff is hogwash. If I am wrong, in either case, he would have to play in the last 6 games of this year to gain the eligible service time, but I really think it is now two years for him.

Please remember that in these negotiations, threats and posturing are going to occur. this is not the Whineart situation, or the Albert Wasteworth situation. There has been no negatives said on either side. I really cannot imagine that Revis said I am done with the Jets if they don't show me the money. I would imagine that someone asked the question in a way to imply that he will hold out even if it means never playing for the Jets. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to, but that he is willing to do what he believes <even if it is wrong> even if it means holding out for 3 years.

But the Jets approached Revis about fixing the deal and making things right. 1 Mil isnt fair money for a top flight CB. If Revis breaks a leg like L Washington he'll never see the remainder of his 5 year deal.

I really believe the Jets will cave and pony up a little more money after the season has begun.

I'm sure the Jets would have been glad to guarantee the rest of his 20M if he came to camp.

Where the f^ck does Jason Cole get his information? Do he and Cowlishaw share a source?

Everyone's so quick to pounce on anything anti-Revis. :rolleyes:

We're done with 4 preseason games now and no sign of Revis.

While I think this report is as made up as the Cowlishaw one, it's time to start considering that maybe, just maybe, you're wrong, and Revis is a douche who is going to sit out the whole season.

Agreed. But, at the same time, the Jets went to him with a deal that surely took into consideration that Revis had 3 years left on his deal.

The Jets are not required to do anything. Revis and his agents need to understand that the Jets are redoing a deal early, and for that, there has to be some compromise. That doesn't mean taking any offer, but it does mean, being willing to budge a bit.

That said, I blame the agents.

While I think this report is as made up as the Cowlishaw one, it's time to start considering that maybe, just maybe, you're wrong, and Revis is a douche who is going to sit out the whole season.

This. Slats loves licking the sweat off the balls of every player that is disgruntled with the Jets. He immediately wants to side with players over the team he claims to be a fan of and refuses to see the truth here...Mevi$ is a complete and utter scumbag who has no intentions of playing a down for the NY Jets because he's a greedy **** who likes money more than Football.

What am I wrong about?

This. Slats loves licking the sweat off the balls of every player that is disgruntled with the Jets. He immediately wants to side with players over the team he claims to be a fan of and refuses to see the truth here...Mevi$ is a complete and utter scumbag who has no intentions of playing a down for the NY Jets because he's a greedy **** who likes money more than Football.

So what? Because you only like licking the sweat off the balls of the fatter players?

I still don't believe the Jets have offered anything genuine up front. I can see that in the deals Brick and Mangold signed, and the penny-pinching Tanny's doing with Coles and TRich.

Sorry I don't cry like a little bitch when a player on the team I root for holds out. It's a business. It's a business for the player's, too.

Sean Gilbert wasn't wrong. He was a FA, who was slapped with the franchise tag and didn't like it. He was allowed to not sign the tender.

Darelle Revis, on the other hand, is under contract for 3 more years... a contract HE HELD OUT to get.

let me repeat

there is no right and wrong there is only wins and losses

if some team chose to pay Gilbert and it didn't work out to wins for them that's their mistake.

there's no outcome where the Jets signing Revis makes them a worse team.

My stance has been to not believe every report or leak from the Jets. I'm pretty happy with it.

1,000 posts about Revis and that's all you've said?

The only report I care about is that Revis is under contract, the Jets, in some way, have offered him more money, the next game on the schedule is one that counts. Revis is not here. That's on Revis.

1,000 posts about Revis and that's all you've said?

The only report I care about is that Revis is under contract, the Jets, in some way, have offered him more money, the next game on the schedule is one that counts. Revis is not here. That's on Revis.

I'm not going to do a complete recap for you right now.

I've said many times that I believe Revis should sign a fair deal, and the rumored 10/$122M deal qualifies as that - provided the Jets give him at least $12M in the first year.

I have been adamantly against believing everything the Jets say. Tannenbaum lies for a living.

If he sits out this season, the Jets would have to be willing to (financially) forgive him for sitting out, which will be about $4M when you count the amortized amounts of his signing and option bonuses. If they don't he's not playing next year for $5M either. If he sits out again then it's $8M. At that number, he'll either sit out a 3rd year or agree to come back just for the last, bloated contract year. But they technically could make him inactive every game for $9M minus the $8M Revis would owe them. Then he's a UFA in 2013 who hasn't played ball since the 2009 season. Maybe someone will still make him a mega-deal, but lots of teams would never touch him given his history with the Jets FO.

At some point I wonder if he's considered that the offer on the table might be the best deal he ever gets offered for the rest of his life.

So what? Because you only like licking the sweat off the balls of the fatter players?

I still don't believe the Jets have offered anything genuine up front. I can see that in the deals Brick and Mangold signed, and the penny-pinching Tanny's doing with Coles and TRich.

Sorry I don't cry like a little bitch when a player on the team I root for holds out. It's a business. It's a business for the player's, too.

LOL!!! Good one!

Are you going to cry like a little bitch when the player you masturbate to at night isnt on the Jets?

Why not shop him to a crappy team like the Lions?

It might be 'satisfying' to force him to sit 2yrs and get fat...but we'd get nothing out of it.

But couldn't we get great picks etc from Detroit? I also think sitting him and fattening him up might demoralize the current team and hurt our ability to attract good people.

My stance has been to not believe every report or leak from the Jets. I'm pretty happy with it.

Learn to read. This ain't a leak from the Jets camp. This is a leak from the Revis camp.

"His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants."

Archived