Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

5 up front for only 40 million guaranteed of what I am assuming is a 125-130 total contract over 10 I dont like. I would take 5 up front if they gave me 50 million fully guaranteed at 130. It would make total compensation for this season to be the highest paid CB and then Namdi's deal ends and he won't get that much again because he won't have a senial man giving him a ridiculous backloaded contract.

So you wouldn't take that deal. I think this is where they are... there's obviously very little info but I think if the Jets were offering a huge bonus or 50 guaranteed this thing gets done.

Gevis has IMHO at least 6 great years ahead of him, over the life of a 10 year deal for the team, you are going to get your return and lets be honest, this deal will get renegotiated again, as skill level increases/decreases, contracts rise or fall, salary cap adjustments, etc. so by the team Revis's productive years are over, you will be ready to renegotiate again.

I agree with will all this... they could take this deal now and try to figure it out later. That would be a nice move for Jets fans but it's probably not in Revis' best interests.

Future renegotiation basically means salary cut in favor of bonus.

I agree he'd make very good money but 5/40/122 over 10 is a home town deal for a player of this magnitude. Game changers are worth money I dont know if Revis should fire his agents for trying to get an extra 20 million dollars over the course of the deal. if he fired his agents he'd get a deal done quicker but not better.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randy Moss will earn $6.4 million this year under contract he signed after breaking Rice's record. Or about a million more than avg Revis would make over the next three years under his current rookie contract, considerably less than than what the Jets have offered Revis and about $10 million less than what Revis is demanding.

I don't know about the other 2.

Brandon Marshall is the highest paid WR in football (based on his Average Per Year over the length of the contract, it sits at $11,194,750 per year). This year Brandon Marshalls base salary is $4 million and his prorated signing bonus amount is 1,100,000. So his total cap hit is 5,100,000 for the Dolphins.

Boldin's APY is $8,333,333 over the next 4 years. His base salary for this year is only $2 million, his prorated signing bonus is 1,531,250 and his roster bonus is 1,875,000 for a total cap hit of 5,406,250 for the Ravens.

Moss's APY is $9,007,093. His base salary this year is $6,400,000 (as the above poster mentioned), his prorated signing bonus is $4,750,000 and he has a workout bonus of $107,280 for a total cap number of 11,257,280

Just to add to my previous statement, eventually Revis will get involved. Right now the Agents are paying Revis. Every fine Revis has paid, the agent is reimbursing him out of his own pocket (I think the total is just over 500K right now). Eventually the Agents wont have enough money and eventually Revis's competitive nature will take over. The agents needs this thing to be done soon because they can't afford it. I hope Revis fires his agents over this, because I don't think he fully realizes how bad they are messing up these negotiations.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000

Here is what I would do if i were Tanny. PULL THE OFFER. Pull the offer and when he misses the first game, send an offer for a lower amount, when he misses the second game, pull the offer and send an offer for a lower amount. Then tell his agents to please relay this message to Revis. Every game you miss your offer goes down, we will NOT trade you, you are under contract with the New York Jets for the next 4 years, if you wish to play football in this league in this league over that period of time it will be for this team or for no team, if you want to ruin your career in swoop that is on you, but if you dont play until you are 27 then what could have been a Hall of Fame career will be nothing and no one will remember your name. If you sit out this year, your offer goes down a lot.

The Jets do not have Revis under contract for the next four years. Whether Revis sits this whole year out or not, he's already earned the right to buy out the last two years of his current deal. The Jets then have the option to either...

a.) buy them back at $5M for 2011 and $15M for 2012, or...

b.) place an RFA tender on him, and hope they don't lose him to someone willing to spend the 1st and 3rd round picks to get him.

The idea of of lowering the offers may make people who want to punish Revis happy, but it's not going to get him on the field. That competitive nature could work both ways. If he feels like he's in a competition with Tannenbaum, he's not going to agree to a lower deal.

If I were running this negotiation from Revis's side I would compromise on a deal worth 130 with anywhere between 45-55 million fully guaranteed. If he were to blow his knee out tomorrow the jets would owe him about 5.5 million a year, which isnt too bad of a hit and can still be adjusted, deferred and renegotiated.

They can't fully guarantee anything outside of a signing bonus, and they ain't giving Revis a $45-55M signing bonus. laugh.gif

But I agree wholeheartedly with your premise, and I'd like to think his agents would, too. As long as he could get in the neighborhood of $12-13M in the first year, and they guarantee another $30-40M for skill (the better of the two options, IMHO), they should be quick to sign.

I still expect him to sign. I have a feeling when he does, we'll have a lot better idea of what the real offers from the Jets have been - as opposed to these rumors that everyone has complete faith in.

Brandon Marshall is the highest paid WR in football (based on his Average Per Year over the length of the contract, it sits at $11,194,750 per year). This year Brandon Marshalls base salary is $4 million and his prorated signing bonus amount is 1,100,000. So his total cap hit is 5,100,000 for the Dolphins.

Boldin's APY is $8,333,333 over the next 4 years. His base salary for this year is only $2 million, his prorated signing bonus is 1,531,250 and his roster bonus is 1,875,000 for a total cap hit of 5,406,250 for the Ravens.

Moss's APY is $9,007,093. His base salary this year is $6,400,000 (as the above poster mentioned), his prorated signing bonus is $4,750,000 and he has a workout bonus of $107,280 for a total cap number of 11,257,280

Whoa....wait a second. Revis got a signing bonus too. Can't claim Revis was only going to make $1 million this year, and then claim Moss made $ 9 million. And Moss had to showed up to camp to get that bonus. Moss ain't holding out cause $6.4 million ain't enough.

So you wouldn't take that deal. I think this is where they are... there's obviously very little info but I think if the Jets were offering a huge bonus or 50 guaranteed this thing gets done.

I agree with will all this... they could take this deal now and try to figure it out later. That would be a nice move for Jets fans but it's probably not in Revis' best interests.

Future renegotiation basically means salary cut in favor of bonus.

I agree he'd make very good money but 5/40/122 over 10 is a home town deal for a player of this magnitude. Game changers are worth money I dont know if Revis should fire his agents for trying to get an extra 20 million dollars over the course of the deal. if he fired his agents he'd get a deal done quicker but not better.

There is more money to be had in this negotiation and there are ways for the Jets to get Revis for less (if Tanny pulled the offer and called Revis's bluff, even if he sits out this year i Guarantee he isnt willing to sit out multiple years, the agent cant afford to pay that kind of money).

He could get a better deal than what the Jets are offering, and any agent can get him that and it could be easier if Tanny doesn't want to deal with these guys anymore and doesn't trust what they are saying. Tanny is a very honest, straight shooter. If you are going to negotiate with him you better be honest otherwise get out of the room, there are no tricks no lies, if he doenst trust you then you are screwed. Thats how Mangold and Brick got done, the agents and Tanny sat down, had an honest talk of what the Jets could afford, what the players were worth, what they were looking for on both sides and they agreed on something in the middle ground, it was quick, done in good faith and honest. Revis's agents have tried tactics that don't sit well with Tanny. Mangold didn't hold out, Brick didn't hold out, if Revis were in camp working his butt off, Tanny would be more willing to deal. The agents did not do their homework, they thought they could bully Rex and Tanny by having Revis sit out and possibly ruin a potential championship run and great D, what they failed to realize is that Rex is more cocky and arrogant than they thought and he doesn't care if Revis isn't there. He won with less talented CBs in Baltimore and one person will NEVER make a Rex Ryan Defense great, a Rex Ryan Defense will however make one player great. Rex believes (and he may be right) that he can create the next Revis that his defense is that good and that kind of moxie rubs off on Tanny in negotiations, they won't be bullied.

The Jets do not have Revis under contract for the next four years. Whether Revis sits this whole year out or not, he's already earned the right to buy out the last two years of his current deal. The Jets then have the option to either...

b.) place an RFA tender on him, and hope they don't lose him to someone willing to spend the 1st and 3rd round picks to get him.

The idea of of lowering the offers may make people who want to punish Revis happy, but it's not going to get him on the field. That competitive nature could work both ways. If he feels like he's in a competition with Tannenbaum, he's not going to agree to a lower deal.

They can't fully guarantee anything outside of a signing bonus, and they ain't giving Revis a $45-55M signing bonus. laugh.gif

But I agree wholeheartedly with your premise, and I'd like to think his agents would, too. As long as he could get in the neighborhood of $12-13M in the first year, and they guarantee another $30-40M for skill (the better of the two options, IMHO), they should be quick to sign.

I still expect him to sign. I have a feeling when he does, we'll have a lot better idea of what the real offers from the Jets have been - as opposed to these rumors that everyone has complete faith in.

By holding out there was a clause in his contract that triggered and he lost a year of eligibility for Free Agency. He can rot on the bench for 4 years (this year included). Also you guarantee any portion of any salary for any year, not just the signing bonus. The signing bonus is just the money handed out up front in the contract that gets prorated (for cap purposes) over the life of the contract (works like early exercising of an option clause for additional years).

They can pay him 15 million per year but guarantee 8 million of that per year over the life of the contract (no that they would). A middle ground deal from what I can gather is the offers at the moment is around 130-140 total value with 5-7 up front and 40-50 FULLY guaranteed (for injury and skill, not one or the other, but if I were to chose between the two I would also want my money guaranteed in the event of an injury) Not saying this will get done, but I see it getting done.

You are correct about the buy back years, but there was an additional clause in the event of a holdout. I haven't read through the entire original deal though.

Whoa....wait a second. Revis got a signing bonus too. Can't claim Revis was only going to make $1 million this year, and then claim Moss made $ 9 million. And Moss had to showed up to camp to get that bonus. Moss ain't holding out cause $6.4 million ain't enough.

Oh i agree, I am not claiming that at all, I was just answering a question as to what everyone was making by showing where the money was coming from and what the Cap reflects (even though there is no cap) but as far as the team reports vs. what the player is actually receiving.

By holding out there was a clause in his contract that triggered and he lost a year of eligibility for Free Agency. He can rot on the bench for 4 years (this year included). Also you guarantee any portion of any salary for any year, not just the signing bonus. The signing bonus is just the money handed out up front in the contract that gets prorated (for cap purposes) over the life of the contract (works like early exercising of an option clause for additional years).

They can pay him 15 million per year but guarantee 8 million of that per year over the life of the contract (no that they would). A middle ground deal from what I can gather is the offers at the moment is around 130-140 total value with 5-7 up front and 40-50 FULLY guaranteed (for injury and skill, not one or the other, but if I were to chose between the two I would also want my money guaranteed in the event of an injury) Not saying this will get done, but I see it getting done.

You are correct about the buy back years, but there was an additional clause in the event of a holdout. I haven't read through the entire original deal though.

So suck on that slats. Let that bitch rot. Viva La Vitony!!!

I don't mean to be rude here, but you're wrong.

First, the rules in the uncapped year don't allow for contracts with fully guaranteed money, that's why they have to choose one or the other. My preference would be skill, because the player could insure himself for catastrophic injury, but if he has an injury that he can recover from (pass a physical) but causes him to not play at the same level, he can be cut for diminished skills.

Losing the year of eligibility towards free agency does not effect his contract status, which is what I described above. The longest the Jets could hold his rights would be for three total years, the next two at $5M and $15M respectively. The "lost year" only effects his ability to become a UFA, but current rules state that players don't become UFA's until their 6th year anyway, so that really has no effect on him outside of the Jets ability to slap him with an RFA tender after this year whether he plays this year or not.

But I hope you're right about it getting done, though.

So suck on that slats. Let that bitch rot. Viva La Vitony!!!

Again, I have not read the entire contract, I know about the Holdout clause and know that we now have him for 4 years because he lost a year (this includes this season). The deal was originally a 5 year deal (so this would be his third year, so including this year we had 3 years left). By holding out the deal became a 6 year deal. Slats is correct that his play has trigged his option to opt out early but he can only become an exclusive rights player or RFA, he will not have accrued enough time to be a UFA based on the current CBA.

I would assume that in the event of the holdout with language being in the deal that he would lose a year of eligibility that it would only be reasonable for him to lose the ability to be an exclusive rights or RFA player and the ability to opt out. It would only make sense, there is no reason to have one without the other. Slats however could be correct. I will pull the contract this weekend and read the whole thing (its massive).

The other problem and I am not sure how they are getting around this is the 30% rule. The collective bargaining rule states that in the event of an uncapped year any player contract for a veteran player that was in effect for the 2009 season and is being renegotiated in 2010 (uncapped) can not be more than 30% greater than what it was in 2009 for 2010 or any subsequent years (this does not include signing bonus, workout bonus, likely or unlikely to be earned incentives etc.).

So for example if your salary was 1 million in 2009 you cant renegotiate for more than 1.3 in 2010. Revis has 2 accrued seasons so he is technically a veteran from NFL CBA standards. I am sure there is a loophole to this and there must be, i just do not know what it is. Haven't had to deal with it yet and hopefully won't until the new CBA is in place.

I don't mean to be rude here, but you're wrong.

First, the rules in the uncapped year don't allow for contracts with fully guaranteed money, that's why they have to choose one or the other. My preference would be skill, because the player could insure himself for catastrophic injury, but if he has an injury that he can recover from (pass a physical) but causes him to not play at the same level, he can be cut for diminished skills.

Losing the year of eligibility towards free agency does not effect his contract status, which is what I described above. The longest the Jets could hold his rights would be for three total years, the next two at $5M and $15M respectively. The "lost year" only effects his ability to become a UFA, but current rules state that players don't become UFA's until their 6th year anyway, so that really has no effect on him outside of the Jets ability to slap him with an RFA tender after this year whether he plays this year or not.

But I hope you're right about it getting done, though.

You are not being rude, you are completely correct about the buyback years, I was under the impression that he lost that ability to opt out and be a RFA along with the holdout. You are correct that you cannot be a UFA for 6 years, years 3, 4, and 5 are now RFA years and year 2 is an exclusive rights year.

Again I will pull the contract and read it, but it would make sense to me that if you are getting the extra year then he loses the ability to opt out anyway. Makes no sense to still let him do that, that would have been poor planning by Tanny and I don't see him missing that one.

The other problem and I am not sure how they are getting around this is the 30% rule. The collective bargaining rule states that in the event of an uncapped year any player contract for a veteran player that was in effect for the 2009 season and is being renegotiated in 2010 (uncapped) can not be more than 30% greater than what it was in 2009 for 2010 or any subsequent years (this does not include signing bonus, workout bonus, likely or unlikely to be earned incentives etc.).

So for example if your salary was 1 million in 2009 you cant renegotiate for more than 1.3 in 2010. Revis has 2 accrued seasons so he is technically a veteran from NFL CBA standards. I am sure there is a loophole to this and there must be, i just do not know what it is. Haven't had to deal with it yet and hopefully won't until the new CBA is in place.

Revis has three years under his belt.

They get around the 30% rule by virtue of a $5.7M bonus he got last year, that gives them a figure of a little over $6M to work with.

They get around the 30% rule by virtue of a $5.7M bonus he got last year, that gives them a figure of a little over $6M to work with.

If i were the jets I would buy back the years anyway, even if he were still allowed to void the contract, at least the first one. and while i do understand what you are saying about skill vs. injury, it is just a preference of mine to have injury guarantees especially at a young age, for older vets, thats where I would go with the personal insurance and the skill covers both angles there, but then your are still paying for the insurance.

He will be signed in my opinion, I have thought that since the beginning, it was just horribly mismanaged!

Either way, the Jets D will be fine for the most part, its playing Indy that we would have to worry about again, no one else has that kind of group where you need 3 studs. We have 2 studs and Lowry who depending on the day can be decent.

Also, wouldn't they only be able to use his prorated bonus amount to factor into it and not the total amount, so they could only use a little over 1.1 million as the bonus if i remember correctly for what his prorated amount from last season was. At least that is how I read the rule in the CBA.

emmitt smith was more than just a running back. just like revis is more than a cornerback. I've never played Pro ball. but i've played HS and College, and if your team's best player isn't there, it's a blow to the whole locker room. Just knowing that dude is out there makes you play better. Losing that guy is a punch to the gut.

Football coaches say it's a team game and it's not about 1 guy. That's bullsh*t. They are telling themselves lies to sleep at night. It's about a few players. Sanchez yes is one of those guys. Revis is the Sanchez of the defense. And the defense is better than the offense. Do that math, he's their best player and their first 3 games are Boldin, Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall. what is the average yearly income for those 3 guys? Revis should lock them down for no money down? I don't think so.

It might sound like crap but trust me, football is a game of confidence and momentum. the difference between these NFL teams isn't pure talent it's about what these men believe they can accomplish. With Revis they can accomplish anything. Without him... it's all good until a #1 WR starts popping off. then the wheels fall off. this offense without holmes can't come from behind and it doesn't matter if no one can stop the #1 Wr. It's a dangerous game and the Jets are valuing money over wins.

You are out of your mind, if you think that Emmitt Smith did not benefit greatly from his O-Line.

MEvi$ also benefits from the entire D, the same way the D benefits from having him out there.

If MEvi$ wants to make top QB or top WR money he should have became one.

MEvi$ does not single handedly get us wins, it's a team effort, and he is in no way worth what he's demanding.

He thinks he's bigger than the team, and it's getting him no where!

I work in the industry, so here is my 2 cents on the situation.

Revis isn't completely in the wrong, his agents are retarded and give the rest of us a bad rep. At this point in time Revis is sitting at home, he has control over the situation but based on my history with situations like this he isn't using any of it, this is completely on the agents. They told him to go home, to sit and they will take care of it. Revis, like any good client, is listening because unfortunately he is under the impression that these guys have his best interests at heart. His agents are trying to make a statement, they are middle of the road guys and this offseason they decided that with VJax and Revis they were going to catapult themselves into the cream of the crop conversation in one dramatic swoop.

They are scum and instead of doing what they had anticipated they are instead hurting their chances now to get future clients, which is fine with me.

Here is what I would do if i were Tanny. PULL THE OFFER. Pull the offer and when he misses the first game, send an offer for a lower amount, when he misses the second game, pull the offer and send an offer for a lower amount. Then tell his agents to please relay this message to Revis. Every game you miss your offer goes down, we will NOT trade you, you are under contract with the New York Jets for the next 4 years, if you wish to play football in this league in this league over that period of time it will be for this team or for no team, if you want to ruin your career in swoop that is on you, but if you dont play until you are 27 then what could have been a Hall of Fame career will be nothing and no one will remember your name. If you sit out this year, your offer goes down a lot.

Again, his agents are running this not Revis, yes he can say enough is enough, but these guys are good agents, they have convinced Revis this is the right thing to do and that it will be handled and taken care of. He has outplayed his contract, he deserves a better one, he deserves to be paid for what he is, the best CB in the game and a key component to a hopefully Championship Defense, but at the same time with Cromartie, Harris, Edwards and Holmes all due for contracts next year the Jets have to do what is best for the team. I know we could trade him and get a nice return, but this needs to be more than that, this needs to be about putting 2 agents who think they are better than they really are in their place (I may be biased a little). If I were running this negotiation from Revis's side I would compromise on a deal worth 130 with anywhere between 45-55 million fully guaranteed. If he were to blow his knee out tomorrow the jets would owe him about 5.5 million a year, which isnt too bad of a hit and can still be adjusted, deferred and renegotiated.

Just my 2 cents. I think the deal will get done this week and Revis will play week 1 but if it doesn't then I hope Tanny pulls the offer and shuts these agents up.

Interesting. Agree with some of this, until the end where you come up with your possible financial solution.

$45-55M that's FULLY guaranteed would mean a $37-47M signing bonus + a bump in this year's salary to its maximum of about $8M (I think that's the max but I'm not sure). Revis will be in a great position to pocket that and hold out again. The Jets simply aren't going to set themselves up for Revis to hold out again by giving this kid a single check for almost $50M. This solution would be realistic if the Jets thought there was an excellent chance of Revis honoring his contract. Clearly they do not.

Also if he blew his knee out tomorrow how do you figure they would owe him $5.5M per year? They'd owe that if, by some miracle, Revis accepted a pay cut to the league minimum and the Jets IR'd him every year for almost a decade. Revis, in the driver's seat like that, would never take a pay cut to the league minimum for any reason. Not even if he wasn't playing anymore.

Interesting read, though. I think most are in agreement that his agents are farting higher than their own asses.

Saw Mevi$'s agent Neil Schwartz at a high school football scrimmage in Suffern NY this morning.

Not sure why he was there, maybe he had a kid playing on one of the teams, but he spent most of the 3 hours he was there on the phone in the parking lot.

Who knows ... maybe something's brewing.

Saw Mevis agent Neil Schwartz at a high school football scrimmage in Suffern NY this morning.

Not sure why he was there, maybe he had a kid playing on one of the teams, but he spent most of the 3 hours he was there on the phone in the parking lot.

You should've kicked him in the balls. At least that would've put a smile on SoFlaJets' face. Poor guy is going to have a coronary over this.

Saw Mevis agent Neil Schwartz at a high school football scrimmage in Suffern NY this morning.

Suffern???????

He was trying to hook up with Lawrence Taylor's pimp sad.gif

txs for showing up !

first 2 questions;

do agents have access to every player contract ? or do you work for the jets somehow ?

how do agents get paid ? do you get a check from the team everytime they cut a check to the player or does the player pay the agent ?

txs for showing up !

first 2 questions;

do agents have access to every player contract ? or do you work for the jets somehow ?

how do agents get paid ? do you get a check from the team everytime they cut a check to the player or does the player pay the agent ?

I think agents can see every contract at some private union database. There was a big stink a few years ago when a reporter borrowed an agent's password and was caught snooping around.

The money in a.) stopped being guaranteed when Revis held out. They can pay him $5M for one year and then do what they choose the second year. They no longer have to pay that $15M when they pick up the option because that money is no longer guaranteed.

If they place an RFA tender on him they can match the salary offer any team offers him. In order to get Revis a team would have to outbid the Jets and then give up a 1st and 3rd rounder for one year of service. History and common sense says this won't happen.

Slats, you keep trying to make Revis' position seem better than it really is. I think you have forgotten the first rule of getting out of a hole.

After selecting his final roster Saturday, Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum declared that the team is will "move forward" without holdout CB Darrelle Revis.

"Darrelle is not here, and we’ve planned accordingly," the GM said. "We feel good about our depth at corner. We have six guys that can help us." The Jets did keep six cornerbacks on the roster: Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Drew Coleman, Marquice Cole, and CB/S Brian Jackson. Sep. 4 - 7:50 pm et

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=180678

Well this could be some last minute posturing on Tanny's part, but I would say this probably doesn't go as good news.

I don't know about posturing. Is there really any option other than being prepared for life without MEvi$ based on his inflexibility thus far? I truly hate this MF'er for single handedly ruining the off-season and potentially sabotaging our chances for a SB run.

Oh it's most likely not, but I'm just trying to cling to some ounce of hope as it approaches the eleventh hour.

The money in a.) stopped being guaranteed when Revis held out. They can pay him $5M for one year and then do what they choose the second year. They no longer have to pay that $15M when they pick up the option because that money is no longer guaranteed.

This is absolutely true. The Jets option would be to cut him if they didn't want to pay him that $15M, and then he'd be an UFA. How does that help them?

If they place an RFA tender on him they can match the salary offer any team offers him. In order to get Revis a team would have to outbid the Jets and then give up a 1st and 3rd rounder for one year of service. History and common sense says this won't happen.

If the Jets weren't concerned about the size of bids, neither they nor Revis would be in this situation. laugh.gif A 1st and a 3rd is a small price to pay for a player of Revis' caliber, especially from teams picking at the end of the draft. If Revis wants to be moved, he could agree to poison pill provisions that the Jets couldn't match. I think it would be a dangerous move for the Jets to place the RFA tag on him next year.

Slats, you keep trying to make Revis' position seem better than it really is. I think you have forgotten the first rule of getting out of a hole.

No, I'm just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the let him rot concept.

I am sick of this. You working class wage-serfs have NO CONCEPT of how high-level COMPLEX negotiations work. These are complex matters involving multiple parties who are employing various strategies against each other. Your simple minds are programmed for thirty minute television sit-com resolutions. This is NOT THE CASE in the world of million dollar deal makers and HIGHLY successful business executives.

Stop posting your nonsense and leave the big money deals to the CHAMPIONS OF CAPITALISM!

[MEMO SENT!!!!!!!!!]

This is absolutely true. The Jets option would be to cut him if they didn't want to pay him that $15M, and then he'd be an UFA. How does that help them?

If the Jets weren't concerned about the size of bids, neither they nor Revis would be in this situation. laugh.gif A 1st and a 3rd is a small price to pay for a player of Revis' caliber, especially from teams picking at the end of the draft. If Revis wants to be moved, he could agree to poison pill provisions that the Jets couldn't match. I think it would be a dangerous move for the Jets to place the RFA tag on him next year.

No, I'm just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the let him rot concept.

A first and a third is a lot for one year of service. That is why no one picked up Braylon Edwards when all it would have taken was a 1st rounder.

If a team wants to take away a RFA they have to value that players services so much more highly than his current team that they are willing to pay the draft pick compensation and outbid on salary. Historically that has not often happened. I'm not sure if it ever happened at all without putting a poison pill into the contract to be matched and they supposedly outlawed that.

A first and a third is a lot for one year of service. That is why no one picked up Braylon Edwards when all it would have taken was a 1st rounder.

If a team wants to take away a RFA they have to value that players services so much more highly than his current team that they are willing to pay the draft pick compensation and outbid on salary. Historically that has not often happened. I'm not sure if it ever happened at all without putting a poison pill into the contract to be matched and they supposedly outlawed that.

You spelled "Francesa" wrong.

Archived