Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But TS-I don't see the Jets saying anything like this. Nobody from the Jets organization is depicting him in any unfavorable light or citing any numbers-a lot of it is speculation from the press. WE'RE the ones calling him all the names. Like I said I could care less how the Johnson family spends their money-they could never live long enough to do that in one lifetime-I only want one thing; To see the best Jets team on the field on September 13th and Revis' greed and selfishness is the biggest obstacle in the way of that. But one thing I DO know without knowing any of the particulars; if Darrelle Revis wanted to play football for the Jets this year all he has to do is tell his two agents representing him to "get it done"-HE obviously doesn't WANT to be a Jet and I'm starting to really hate him for it.

I think we'd have to assume that the offer that Revis reportedly turned down came from Jets sources, Jimmy. 10 years/$122 mil reported in multiple places is just too specific to be some reporter making stuff up, and you know Revis' party isn't going to make themselves look greedy by listing a number they spat upon. Tannenbaum has his people in the media, like every GM does, and feeds them info aplenty. There are still PSL's to sell, after all. Plus, we never hear about guarantees, all we hear is the total dollar value which, if you're a casual fan, sounds ridiculous--$122 mil! But, we know that the back end of big money contracts is generally loaded with fat dollar figures that the player never actually sees. I think the Jets are banking on this--conning the casual fan that'd be impressed with the big number--to make themselves looks like the victims here.

Why is that? He only has 3 years of service. Best case situation for him next year is RFA

First, you're wrong in thinking that he'd be under contract for $1M again next year. The contract moves forward even if he's not reporting. If that were not the case, then the let him rot contingent would be advocating letting him rot forever, rather than just three years.

Second, read my post again. He may or may not play for $5M next year, but he'll return in the third for $15M, thus accruing his fourth year of service - making him an UFA the following year.

Nice how you quote the ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!, and leave out the $40 mill guaranteed which is from the same report.

Oh truthful ante up one. :rolleyes:

Cimini, 4 days ago...

At the same time, Revis appears to be just as entrenched as the Jets. He has two offers sitting on the table (10 years, $122 million and four years, $40 million), neither of which is appealing to him. In the long-term deal, there's no specific amount of fully guaranteed money -- and Revis is seeking about $30 million. The latter offer includes only about $5 million in first-year pay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5513868&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

First, the let him rot thing does nothing for the Jets. I guess you missed that section of the thread.

Second, it's never going to happen.

Revis already earned the right to the void the last two years of his contract. If the Jets want to buy them back, they come at the rate of $5M and $15M, respectively. All he lost by holding out was getting those years guaranteed, but those numbers are still in place.

So if he sits this year and then voids his deal, the Jets have the option (which they'd undoubedly take) to buy them back. Revis is then under contract for $5M for the lockout year. He won't even have to hold out to not get paid. :lol: If football is played, he can decide whether or not it's worth it to him to show up for $5M.

But the third year of let him rot? He'll be under contract for $15M, and he will show up for that amount.

So not only is it a stupid hypothetical, but it's never, ever going to happen - even if the Jets want it to. It's completely unlogical. :blink:

Really, as soon as next year the Jets will be anxious to get something done with him so that they're not between the rock of being on the hook for $15M to a player that's been out of football for two years, and the hard place of cutting him and losing him for nothing.

All these coherent, factual thoughts, I do not like them. If he sits out this year I like the thought of watching the rest of his career go down the tubes. I like him rotting. I like him flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Being punitive doesn't help the Jets. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is no way to run a business. And none of it really has anything to do with you. :P

The Jets -for themselves- either need to get a contract for Revis done, or trade him for maximum value. Letting him rot -no matter how satisfying to the blood-thirsty crowd- gains them nothing.

It actually does gain them something.

It sets a precedent that tells players to honor their contract rather than jeopardize their careers with holdouts.

I've said this all along.

The Jets have ALL the leverage here and they always have for two reasons.

1. They own Mevi$'s rights for 3 more years and can basically force a 3 year holdout, which would ruin his career.

2. Rex Ryan is the MVP of the Jet Defense ... not Darrelle Revis. The defense will be fine as long as Rex is on the sidelines coaching them.

It actually does gain them something.

It sets a precedent that tells players to honor their contract rather than jeopardize their careers with holdouts.

I've said this all along.

The Jets have ALL the leverage here and they always have for two reasons.

1. They own Mevi$'s rights for 3 more years and can basically force a 3 year holdout, which would ruin his career.

2. Rex Ryan is the MVP of the Jet Defense ... not Darrelle Revis. The defense will be fine as long as Rex is on the sidelines coaching them.

Keep reading, you're obviously way behind in this thread.

First, you're wrong in thinking that he'd be under contract for $1M again next year. The contract moves forward even if he's not reporting. If that were not the case, then the let him rot contingent would be advocating letting him rot forever, rather than just three years.

Second, read my post again. He may or may not play for $5M next year, but he'll return in the third for $15M, thus accruing his fourth year of service - making him an UFA the following year.

Revis has voided the buy back option of the contract, and the no franchise tag portion of the contract by not reporting. He is at best looking to being a RFA, and then Franchise tag

http://www.nyjetscap.com/revisholdout.php

And all of this leaves a superstar cornerback in limbo. When Revis voids his contract in February all signs point to the fact that he is going to be a restricted free agent whether he sits out all of training camp or all of the NFL football season. Three years or four years of service makes no difference in a year where you need six seasons to become an unrestricted free agent. This also sheds new light on a potential reason why Revis is holding out right now and willing to give up 20 million guaranteed by doing so. Revis was likely not playing in 2010 for 20 million dollars. He was likely playing for a 3 million dollar or so qualifying offer from the Jets in 2011 and a 9 million dollar franchise tag in 2012. Sure he could hope the Jets would exercise the buyback , but that would be putting faith in an organization and there is almost no trust [in a league-wide sense] between the players and teams right now.

Revis has voided the buy back option of the contract, and the no franchise tag portion of the contract by not reporting. He is at best looking to being a RFA, and then Franchise tag

And all of this leaves a superstar cornerback in limbo. When Revis voids his contract in February all signs point to the fact that he is going to be a restricted free agent whether he sits out all of training camp or all of the NFL football season. Three years or four years of service makes no difference in a year where you need six seasons to become an unrestricted free agent. This also sheds new light on a potential reason why Revis is holding out right now and willing to give up 20 million guaranteed by doing so. Revis was likely not playing in 2010 for 20 million dollars. He was likely playing for a 3 million dollar or so qualifying offer from the Jets in 2011 and a 9 million dollar franchise tag in 2012. Sure he could hope the Jets would exercise the buyback , but that would be putting faith in an organization and there is almost no trust [in a league-wide sense] between the players and teams right now.

That is outstanding info. Thanks for putting that out there.

Keep reading, you're obviously way behind in this thread.

Ahhhh Slats ... I've stopped responding to your ignorant posts about Revis weeks ago, but I could no longer resist.

D'Brick signed.

Mangold signed.

Revis is still not earning a paycheck.

His image has taken an irrepairable hit to the point where he's probabaly severely damaged any commercial appeal or marketability he had previously.

The Jet fanbase who not long ago, adored him, now hate him.

Still think Revis did the right thing by holding out?

You know, Slats, it's no crime to admit when you're wrong ... You should try it sometime.

C'mon ... it's OK.

You can say it.

Repeat after me ... "I was wrong. Revis is a stupid and selfish prick".

C'mon, Slats ... it's easy.

If he holds out this year he'll be fined 2.5 million, so next year he'll have a 5 million deal minus the fines and have to play without any guarantees.

If holds out 2 years he'll owe the the Jets 5 million and again play w/o any guaranteed $$ and unless they change the rules we can franchise him the following year.

Revis was likely not playing in 2010 for 20 million dollars. He was likely playing for a 3 million dollar or so qualifying offer from the Jets in 2011 and a 9 million dollar franchise tag in 2012. Sure he could hope the Jets would exercise the buyback , but that would be putting faith in an organization and there is almost no trust [in a league-wide sense] between the players and teams right now.

I'm at work and can't open the page for some reason, but this is certainly enlightening if true (and I generally trust Jason with his excellent cap work).

Basically this says the Jets can't let him rot. That they can only place an RFA tender on him next year and hope that no one steals him away for a 1st and 3rd round pick. Or, presumably, they could opt to put a franchise tag on him to put the price at two #1's instead.

That is outstanding info. Thanks for putting that out there.

I don't know if I agree with the article and I see eye to eye with Jason on most things. I don't think the Jets will tag Revis as a RFA after the season because the compensation to the team, should they decline to match another team's offer, could be too low. We could be looking at a bottom-3 pick in round 1 and a bottom-3 pick in round 3 for Revis.

I believe they would buy back the last 2 years because they could still trade him for the same late 1st/3rd picks (should they choose to) but could also hold out for a bidder with better picks. Year 1 is "only" $5M and the following $9-15M season isn't guaranteed.

It's possible they RFA tag him but it would make absolutely no sense. If he wasn't playing for $1M he's not playing for $3M. The RFA saves $2M over the first buyback year and you lose the ability to choose who you trade him to, should anyone offer up anything.

The Jets can still buy back the last 2 years. By Revis not reporting the Jets have the choice. Even Jason's article doesn't say the Jets can no longer buy back the last 2 years. He just thinks they won't.

RFA tagging instead of exercising the 2-year buyback - particularly now that the expensive $15M year 2 is no longer guaranteed - would be a SOJ move IMO. I'd be surprised (and depressed) if Tannenbaum made such a myopic decision.

Still think Revis did the right thing by holding out?

Yes.

He would've been foolish to play for under $1M this year, and if the contract that D'Brick signed is any indication of the kind of offers he's getting from the Jets, then he's wise to turn those down, too.

Fans have short memories, and when Revis is back shutting down #1 WR's every week, they'll forget this holdout - until the next one! :lol:

Fans used to feel the same way about Laveranues Coles, who made his way off the team a couple times in pursuit of more money, but they all welcomed him back this time around. Even feeling bad for him when Tanny cut the minimum wage earner for financial reasons. He'll be fine.

Oh wow!

Gary Myers 6 days ago...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/28/2010-08-28_to_hold_out_or_not_to_hold_out.html

10-year, $122 million deal that Jets have offered since Memorial Day weekend. It initially contained $40 million in injury guarantees

I'm at work and can't open the page for some reason, but this is certainly enlightening if true (and I generally trust Jason with his excellent cap work).

Basically this says the Jets can't let him rot. That they can only place an RFA tender on him next year and hope that no one steals him away for a 1st and 3rd round pick. Or, presumably, they could opt to put a franchise tag on him to put the price at two #1's instead.

The Jets aren’t going to let him rot. That would be pure stupidity.

Revis options are very limited here. His actual best hope is that Cromartie sucks, and the Jets are forced to make a panic move.

I don’t think that will happen, and the Jets are prepared to play hard ball. If they do it will cost Revis millions.

Revis options are very limited here. His actual best hope is that Cromartie sucks, and the Jets are forced to make a panic move.

I don’t think that will happen, and the Jets are prepared to play hard ball. If they do it will cost Revis millions.

Thank you.

I hope it doesn't come to it, but I think Revis will be willing to see what RFA brings him in 2011. But as I've said repeatedly, it'll take both sides coming off their hardball stances to get a deal done. There is middle ground.

Is someone actually measuring Revis's worth to Peyton Manning's?

Quick - someone post the article from when Peyton Manning held out of camp with 3 years left on his rookie deal. I must have been asleep that month.

Don't feel bad, the guy measuring Revis's worth to Peyton Manning's is still sleeping!

Agreed.

I think the Jets will continue to play hardball, especially if the defense continues to play well without him.

I also think that EVENTUALLY, Revis will see that, and he and the Jets will meet somewhere in the middle, probably somewhere between $12M and $14M per year with a generous amount guaranteed.

But I think it would have happened anyway, and probably sooner, if Revis had honored his current contract and come into camp.

There's no denying that "holding out" a second time has severely hurt his image, both commercially and with the fanbase, and he's probably cost himself a good deal of money off the field in the process.

While it takes two sides to have a dispute, it's obvious to me that Revis has to take the majority of the hit in this one.

Thank you.

I hope it doesn't come to it, but I think Revis will be willing to see what RFA brings him in 2011. But as I've said repeatedly, it'll take both sides coming off their hardball stances to get a deal done. There is middle ground.

Assuming things are similar in 2012, no way does he see RFA. The Jets will sign Harris (or not) and franchise tag Revis. Then he has no right to pursue another deal, and must play for the average of the top five salaries, which would be a bargain for the Jets and doom for Revis' grand plan. Unless the new CBA or some twist in the current contract precludes it, the franchise tag is the gun the Jets bring to this knife-fight.

Thank you.

Believe me, I hope so Slats.

I don’t hate Revis, and definitely want to see him playing for the Jets this year. In this particular case, it seems that the Jets have been willing to bend. They are limited in what they can do. The 16 million demand is silly. The guarantee for both injury, and skill is also silly, and impossible by league rule.

I also don’t think in this environment in the NFL any team is dumb enough to pay him over 16 million. Not to mention the fact that the Aso contract won’t exist next year.

I think/hope Revis will shift down to reason, and the Jets will structure a deal that lets Revis and his agents save face.

I hope he is in uniform for the Ravens. Sadly, I doubt it. I think this kid is getting very bad advise

If Revis isn't on the field next Monday night, he will not be a Jet ever again. I'm sure of this. If you give it some thought, you will see why. No way he can show his face on the field if the Jets are in panic mode from getting beat in the secondary and putting the Jets into a hole. His image is damaged right now, and a couple of secondary breakdowns and Jets losses from his selfish hold outs and that would be the finishing touches on booting his a$$ right out of town.

now I hope the Jets play hardball with this scumbag and let his talents go to waste the whole length of his contract with us-I'm sorry but The Jets are right on this one and Revis and Uncle Sean are wrong-**** him let him sit let him rot

Exactly!

EDIT: And they say the South Florida educational system is failing!

Yes.

He would've been foolish to play for under $1M this year, and if the contract that D'Brick signed is any indication of the kind of offers he's getting from the Jets, then he's wise to turn those down, too.

Fans have short memories, and when Revis is back shutting down #1 WR's every week, they'll forget this holdout - until the next one! :lol:

Fans used to feel the same way about Laveranues Coles, who made his way off the team a couple times in pursuit of more money, but they all welcomed him back this time around. Even feeling bad for him when Tanny cut the minimum wage earner for financial reasons. He'll be fine.

whats so wrong with bricks extention??i dont get it.he is making a bump in salary this year and hes got an injury guarantee.that is what an extention is all about.middle ground.give the player a raise with more years and the security for the team not to have to deal with the whole free angency mess.that is a text book contract extention.mangold is obviously happy with his extention,also.you make it sound as if he deserved a free agent contract.

Is someone actually measuring Revis's worth to Peyton Manning's?

Quick - someone post the article from when Peyton Manning held out of camp with 3 years left on his rookie deal. I must have been asleep that month.

Why bother?

Why not watch a tape of the AFC Championship game, and see who's worth more.

Thank you.

there is no middle ground.not any more.the middle ground was the 12.m per.a 20% pay raise over the top corner in the league(real contract.not al davis' fiasco)with 3 years on the debt,no less.funny how mangold and brick thought the jets were fair,but not revis.and screw all that talk about "fully"guaranteed money.this is a contract extention,not a free agent contract.remember that game where the jets lost to the colts in the championship game?good.because like i said before,that is the last memory of revis in green and white.the 2 camps are too far apart to ever make amends.too bad,tho.i would have loved to see revis,cromatie,and wilson on the field together

Archived