Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing the year of eligibility towards free agency does not effect his contract status, which is what I described above. The longest the Jets could hold his rights would be for three total years, the next two at $5M and $15M respectively. The "lost year" only effects his ability to become a UFA, but current rules state that players don't become UFA's until their 6th year anyway, so that really has no effect on him outside of the Jets ability to slap him with an RFA tender after this year whether he plays this year or not.

But I hope you're right about it getting done, though.

Technically, that's incorrect, Slats (unless you got better info).

The Jets can hold his rights indefinitely so long as Revis holds out.

How? As you noted, under the current rules players don't become UFAs until the end of their 6th year, the end of their 4th yr under the old rules. By Revis failing to report he has 3 yrs accrued. If he fails to report by 30 days prior to the 1st game of the 2011 season, Revis will still only have 3 yrs accrued. The same will happen again if he fails to report by 30 days prior to the 1st game of the 2012 season.

After that the Jets lose the benefit of the 30 day before the season rule because the 6 yr contract would have expired. Then, going in the 2013 season and only 3 yrs accrued Revis would be an exclusive rights free agent for the Jets and could only sign with them. If he refuses to show up, he'll be an exclusive rights free agent again in 2014.

Only if Revis shows up would he get the benefit of the year. So if he shows up in 2013, then he'll get to be a RFA in 2014 as a 29 yr old.

BTW, I read somewhere that if Revis holds out all of the season that he won't be able to void the contract because he wouldn't have achieved a certain criteria in order to void the contract.

How? As you noted, under the current rules players don't become UFAs until the end of their 6th year, the end of their 4th yr under the old rules. By Revis failing to report he has 3 yrs accrued. If he fails to report by 30 days prior to the 1st game of the 2011 season, Revis will still only have 3 yrs accrued. The same will happen again if he fails to report by 30 days prior to the 1st game of the 2012 season.

After that the Jets lose the benefit of the 30 day before the season rule because the 6 yr contract would have expired. Then, going in the 2013 season and only 3 yrs accrued Revis would be an exclusive rights free agent for the Jets and could only sign with them. If he refuses to show up, he'll be an exclusive rights free agent again in 2014.

Only if Revis shows up would he get the benefit of the year. So if he shows up in 2013, then he'll get to be a RFA in 2014 as a 29 yr old.

BTW, I read somewhere that if Revis holds out all of the season that he won't be able to void the contract because he wouldn't have achieved a certain criteria in order to void the contract.

This makes Team Revis sound more and more like a little kid holding his breath to get what he wants.

I will be smiling the rest of the night now.

Thanks SMC.

txs for showing up !

first 2 questions;

do agents have access to every player contract ? or do you work for the jets somehow ?

how do agents get paid ? do you get a check from the team everytime they cut a check to the player or does the player pay the agent ?

I wish I worked for the jets somehow. I would quit being an agent tomorrow if Tanny would hire me. But to answer your question, yes we have access to a database that the NFLPA puts up that has every contract and all the details.

As far as getting paid, it comes from the player not the team.

I wish I worked for the jets somehow. I would quit being an agent tomorrow if Tanny would hire me. But to answer your question, yes we have access to a database that the NFLPA puts up that has every contract and all the details.

As far as getting paid, it comes from the player not the team.

In your experience as an agent, do you see the Revis situation getting resolved this season?

Before the season opener - during the season - or not at all?

I guess what I am really asking is, what does your gut and your experience tell you?

In your experience as an agent, do you see the Revis situation getting resolved this season?

To be honest, I do. I don't know why it has gone this long. His agents are trying to make a statement with Vjax and Revis this season and cash in on the uncapped year. I just dont see it happening. I dont see the team caving and I think eventually Revis is going to lose faith in his agents and his competitive nature will take over. I thought that would have happened by now, but we will see. I have been wrong before and I will be wong again sometime, I just hope not about this. While it looks iffy for week one (if he isnt signed by Wednesday I would say week 1 is definitely out) I hope that by week 2 we have him back.

To be honest, I do. I don't know why it has gone this long. His agents are trying to make a statement with Vjax and Revis this season and cash in on the uncapped year. I just dont see it happening. I dont see the team caving and I think eventually Revis is going to lose faith in his agents and his competitive nature will take over. I thought that would have happened by now, but we will see. I have been wrong before and I will be wong again sometime, I just hope not about this. While it looks iffy for week one (if he isnt signed by Wednesday I would say week 1 is definitely out) I hope that by week 2 we have him back.

If you're right, great, if not, that's O.K. too.

I just appreciate the insight coming from a professional that actually does this stuff for a living and knows what the hell they are talking about.

I really do appreciate the response sir, thanks a bunch.

If your right, great, if not that's O.K. too. I just appreciate the insight coming from a professional that actually does this stuff for a living and knows what the hell they are talking about. I really do appreciate the response sir, thanks a bunch.

To answer the addition my gut says this gets done soon. but what everyone has to understand is that these agents have gone for broke, they are all in. If they don't get the big deal not only do they lose credibility they lose clients for the next few years. I do not think this goes all year, look at Crabtree last year, it doesnt make sense for the entire season because then you lose money ultimately anyway. It all depends on when Revis decides he wants to get involved in this, because I guarantee so far he hasnt said anything and definitely has not thrown out a number

To answer the addition my gut says this gets done soon. but what everyone has to understand is that these agents have gone for broke, they are all in. If they don't get the big deal not only do they lose credibility they lose clients for the next few years. I do not think this goes all year, look at Crabtree last year, it doesnt make sense for the entire season because then you lose money ultimately anyway. It all depends on when Revis decides he wants to get involved in this, because I guarantee so far he hasnt said anything and definitely has not thrown out a number

You are really adding a dimension to this mess that i have not heard from anyone else and I have read quite a bit about this situation.

Everything you're saying makes perfect sense, I just haven't heard some of these particular issues brought up before by anyone.

I am really surprised that Revis has not stepped in yet, his image is really taking a beaten - at least from where I sit.

If I was in his situation, public perception would pretty important to me, especially if he wants to continue to be a popular/amicable figure for future endorsements.

Dick's sporting goods only pays so much.

To have an agent player relationship there has to be trust. The player has to believe that the agent has his best interests at heart and is going act on behalf on him in the proper fashion. Revis trusts these guys. They told him that he was going to get the deal and to go home and not say anything. Revis isnt being greedy he is trusting the people he pays to act on his behalf. However, these two have their own interests in mind. Why Revis hasn't gotten involved I do not know, but I liken it to pillow talk with your girlfriend or wife. What is said in the bedroom stays in the bedroom, and obviously something has been said to keep Revis on the couch right now. I do not think it is long before he starts talking though and figuring out what he ultimately wants.

To have an agent player relationship there has to be trust. The player has to believe that the agent has his best interests at heart and is going act on behalf on him in the proper fashion. Revis trusts these guys. They told him that he was going to get the deal and to go home and not say anything. Revis isnt being greedy he is trusting the people he pays to act on his behalf. However, these two have their own interests in mind. Why Revis hasn't gotten involved I do not know, but I liken it to pillow talk with your girlfriend or wife. What is said in the bedroom stays in the bedroom, and obviously something has been said to keep Revis on the couch right now. I do not think it is long before he starts talking though and figuring out what he ultimately wants.

You have to think that this mess cutting into the regular season - potentially anyway - has gotten Revis's attention.

Thanks again for the insight vitony, I really appreciate it, you really shed some light on this situation for me and I'm sure for everyone else who is reading this.

Much appreciated.

I hope vito doesn't take this personally because I'm suspicious of everyone and not just Italians and agents. But he comes to a message board that most people think Leon Washington's wife reads under the name Jetslove and we know the Washingtons are tight with Revis. He spells out how Revis' agents are not doing a good job of representing him, something which is obvious to any rational person. If Revis takes the rumored $122M/10y offer from the Jets that could mean $3.6M for his agent. So if Revis dumps Schwartz and Feinsod his new agent can pick up the phone to Florham Park, say "yes" and get $3.6M just like that. So vito might have a motive for spilling beans. I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

I hope vito doesn't take this personally because I'm suspicious of everyone and not just Italians and agents. But he comes to a message board that most people think Leon Washington's wife reads under the name Jetslove and we know the Washingtons are tight with Revis. He spells out how Revis' agents are not doing a good job of representing him, something which is obvious to any rational person. If Revis takes the rumored $122M/10y offer from the Jets that could mean $3.6M for his agent. So if Revis dumps Schwartz and Feinsod his new agent can pick up the phone to Florham Park, say "yes" and get $3.6M just like that. So vito might have a motive for spilling beans. I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

My mother is Italian and would have made a great sports agent. She could show up with a plate of meatballs and gravy. Everyone signs everyone gets paid and everyone is happy. Damn shame she chose extreme underwear laundry instead. Damn shame.

Do not forget he is related to Sean Gilbert who sat out a whole season for a better contract. Gilbert went from a 20 million dollar contract on the table to a 46 million dollar contract.

If he has gone this far, no reason for him to blink before Week 10.

I have no ties to Revis or the Jets. No motive for spilling the beans except that I am a jets fan and haven't be on the site for a while. I used to watch the games with the guys in Raleigh when I was in law school there. But I understand your skepticism, but yes his agents aren't doing a good job of representing him, and to most it may or may not be apparent, to some it is apparent because they just dont understand the game that is being played and are angry that the Jets best player is sitting out, others understand a little about the negotiating process and the different stages of it and understand where we are in the process now.

If Revis were to call me today and ask me to represent him, absolutely I would. I would be dumb not to, however, I have never had a conversation with the man and have no direct ties to him, and just to clarify, if Revis were to dump his agents and hire someone else, his old agents would still get paid every penny they were to receive on the old contract as well as a good faith payment on whatever the new contract wound up being because they did most of the leg work and deserve to be compensated for their work. So new agent would make less than what the old agents would receive.

Do not forget he is related to Sean Gilbert who sat out a whole season for a better contract. Gilbert went from a 20 million dollar contract on the table to a 46 million dollar contract.

If he has gone this far, no reason for him to blink before Week 10.

This, except Gilbert was not stupid enough to pull this with 3 years left on his deal.

A first and a third is a lot for one year of service. That is why no one picked up Braylon Edwards when all it would have taken was a 1st rounder.

If a team wants to take away a RFA they have to value that players services so much more highly than his current team that they are willing to pay the draft pick compensation and outbid on salary. Historically that has not often happened. I'm not sure if it ever happened at all without putting a poison pill into the contract to be matched and they supposedly outlawed that.

What?!? Any team acquiring Revis will work out a long term deal with him before they give up those picks. That's how RFA works, with the new team signing the player to an offer sheet that the old team has the right to match.

Poison pills have not been outlawed, they were recently in a couple tit-for-tat contracts between the Vkings and the Seahawks. And historically, a player of Revis' caliber doesn't reach restricted free agency. Teams will line up to spend those picks on him, especially teams picking in the 20's and later.

No, technically it is correct, SMC.

With three accrued seasons already under his belt, once Revis bought out the last two years of his deal he would be a restricted free agent, not an exclusive rights free agent. Exclusive rights free agents have two or less years of service (entering year three), where Revis would have three and be entering year four.

If you've read anywhere that Revis can't void those years, I'd love to see it. That would shed even more light on the situation, but I haven't read that anywhere. Jason wrote an excellent take on the Revis hold out, and he talks at length in it about Revis buying out his deal and becoming a RFA.

The longest they could potentially let him rot is two years - and that's if they buy back the two years at $5M and $15M, and Revis refuses to play for $5M. If they decide to RFA tag him instead, he'll be playing next year. Probably for another team.

What?!? Any team acquiring Revis will work out a long term deal with him before they give up those picks. That's how RFA works, with the new team signing the player to an offer sheet that the old team has the right to match.

Poison pills have not been outlawed, they were recently in a couple tit-for-tat contracts between the Vkings and the Seahawks. And historically, a player of Revis' caliber doesn't reach restricted free agency. Teams will line up to spend those picks on him, especially teams picking in the 20's and later.

No, technically it is correct, SMC.

With three accrued seasons already under his belt, once Revis bought out the last two years of his deal he would be a restricted free agent, not an exclusive rights free agent. Exclusive rights free agents have two or less years of service (entering year three), where Revis would have three and be entering year four.

If you've read anywhere that Revis can't void those years, I'd love to see it. That would shed even more light on the situation, but I haven't read that anywhere. Jason wrote an excellent take on the Revis hold out, and he talks at length in it about Revis buying out his deal and becoming a RFA.

The longest they could potentially let him rot is two years - and that's if they buy back the two years at $5M and $15M, and Revis refuses to play for $5M. If they decide to RFA tag him instead, he'll be playing next year. Probably for another team.

Poison pills are one thing that they are working out with new CBA. So we will see. Slats is right about the RFA and the accrued seasons, but I thought I read somewhere that Revis can no longer opt out of the buy back years. Again, after the holiday I will pull the contract and try to find the language. Either way, I see the Jets (if it goes that far) definitely biting on the 5 million but not the 15 million if the buy back years are in there, but I could have sworn that he lost that option the same time he a year back to the Jets.

Poison pills are one thing that they are working out with new CBA. So we will see. Slats is right about the RFA and the accrued seasons, but I thought I read somewhere that Revis can no longer opt out of the buy back years. Again, after the holiday I will pull the contract and try to find the language. Either way, I see the Jets (if it goes that far) definitely biting on the 5 million but not the 15 million if the buy back years are in there, but I could have sworn that he lost that option the same time he a year back to the Jets.

The only thing that I've read is that those buy back years were guaranteed, but now that he's held out they won't be.

That link I posted above to Jason's article on the subject is a good read. The man is excellent with all aspects of the cap.

We sure would appreciate any updates you could give us next week, when you have a chance to check out the contract in detail vitony. That would be very cool.

I'm sorry Mr. "Agent". But your posts lack any real insights into this situation. Please go back to your parents basement and wack off to Mr. Belvedere reruns. As a veteran of COUNTLESS HIGH-LEVEL MILLION DOLLAR negotiations I must say that you bring little to the table and have shown yourself to be a fraud.

[MEMO SENT]

I didn't know he was your boyfriend.

I hate his guts actually. Just pointing out your laziness and lack of attention to detail. Oh and I don't have a boyfriend if that is what you are suggesting. I actually have been dating a beautiful actress from Venezuala for over a year now. The kind of woman you wack off too in your parents basement, loser.

{MEMO SENT!]

I hate his guts actually. Just pointing out your laziness and lack of attention to detail. Oh and I don't have a boyfriend if that is what you are suggesting. I actually have been dating a beautiful actress from Venezuala for over a year now. The kind of woman you wack off too in your parents basement, loser.

{MEMO SENT!]

Hello Mods. Can somebody swat this annoying fly. His act really does not bring anything worthwhile to Jet Nation. Every post that he inflicts into a thread, really takes away from it. Addition by subtraction. Help make Jet Nation a better place by banning this guy.

Thanks.

What's her hourly rate? Do you get the both the pencil dick and family discount?

Typical response of a simpleton. Jealousy and denial. Since YOU cannot possibly achieve something your simple mind labels it as an impossibility. You attack those who do what you have failed to achieve because their success does not match with your artificial little reality construct.

HAHAHAHAH! You are truly a sad person.

{MEMO SENT]

Hello Mods. Can somebody swat this annoying fly. His act really does not bring anything worthwhile to Jet Nation. Every post that he inflicts into a thread, really takes away from it. Addition by subtraction. Help make Jet Nation a better place by banning this guy.

Thanks.

Your hatred of free speech is despicable. Why don't you move to North Korea and watch movies with Kim Jong.

I am simply trying to engage in an open and honest discourse on topics that are "conveniently" glossed over by the posters here on Jetnation. Your rudimentary reaction to "silence" your opposition is both predictable and sad.

{MEMO SENT!]

Archived