Any Remaining Doubt Revis Makes The Difference?

kelticwizard

Cornerback is not an easy position to play. Cromartie is clearly a lesser talent than Revis, but he still is probably one of the top 10 corners in the league. He steps up and looks terrific some plays, looks awful on others. We saw that tonight.

What makes Revis different is consistency-he plays great every game, looks good most every play when he's healthy. Without Revis we are a plucky defense with some playmakers who will fight fight fight. With Revis we are a defense who will bulldoze you.

Yes Revis asked for a ton of cash but we saw how vulnerable our defense can be without him. I'm just glad Darelle will be coming back in a couple of weeks to raise our defense level from "good and tough" to "best".

Yep, having Revis makes a huge difference. Not just because he's so good, but because offenses have to account for him and find where he is on the field and who he's covering. It makes the job of the other corners much easier. Tonight, having Revis on Marshall with Cro and Wilson covering Bess/Hartline would have made a GIGANTIC difference.

what his return will do is allow wilson to go back to the nickel, and cro to go back to the #2 guy, and give rex the confidence to bring heat

pretty amazing

hope his god damned hammy stays healthy

I'd sit him another week unless he practices wednesday at full go

he's that important

For some reason this team brings out the worst in our D every game. Just watch what they do next week against the Pats. Henne is crap and his WR's other than Marhsall are crap against every other team but the Jets.

the reason is henning. he is in rex's head

While Revis is clearly important, let's not pretend like that's the only reason the defense struggled today. They shutout the Pats in the second half last week without him, and the jets defense was even worse in Miami last year than they were this year. Don't get me wrong, it'll be great when he's back healthy, but there were more problems than his absence tonight.

While Revis is clearly important, let's not pretend like that's the only reason the defense struggled today. They shutout the Pats in the second half last week without him, and the jets defense was even worse in Miami last year than they were this year. Don't get me wrong, it'll be great when he's back healthy, but there were more problems than his absence tonight.

I'll chalk it up to humidity and move on. This game was almost a mirror image to last year's game in Miami. Night game, hot and humid, and an offensive shootout. If we're struggling this badly against, say, Buffalo, then we can start to worry.

Besides Wilson's early mistakes, the problem with the D was the heat. Football wasn't meant to be played at 87 degrees (with humidity) at 10 pm at night.

Yes, the Fins were playing in those conditions as well but they train in it for the whole offseason and preseason. There's a reason why non southern teams struggle there in September and early October.

Play that game in normal football temperatures and the game is a blow out rather than an 8 point victory, which is large in and of itself.

Besides Wilson's early mistakes, the problem with the D was the heat. Football wasn't meant to be played at 87 degrees (with humidity) at 10 pm at night.

Yes, the Fins were playing in those conditions as well but they train in it for the whole offseason and preseason. There's a reason why non southern teams struggle there in September and early October.

Play that game in normal football temperatures and the game is a blow out rather than an 8 point victory, which is large in and of itself.

I don't know if it's a blowout but I completely agree about the conditions. We all gloss over it because we're not playing in those conditions. But as conditioned as you are, you're still going to be gassed on defense by the end of the game.

HEat could be used as an excuse in December but not in September. This was actully the best time for us to play them in their place because I think the Heat would have effected us much worse in December. When they come to play us lets hope its 20 degrees with a -10 wind chill.

I don't know how Buffalo will score. Maybe off of CJ Spiller kick returns. Roscoe Parrish is pretty good too I guess but Trent Edwards is just so awful. For some strange reason, Buffalo doesn't like using Spiller on offense, so he isn't really a worry as an RB.

Buffalo also has a fairly soft run D, so LT and Greene will probably score 3 TDs between the two of them. LT is the better and more versatile back, but this is an easy matchup tailor made for Greene. As much as it would annoy me for fantasy, I think a great strategy would be to randomly use the RB to screw with opposing defenses, as Greene and LT are fairly different runners, then feature one or the other while lying about who will start. It worked for the Ravens a few years ago at any rate.

Football is a game of match-ups. Cromartie happens to match up well on Randy Moss. He can run with him stride for stride, and Moss isn't exactly known for his toughness. But he's a terrible match-up on Marshall, who's bigger and stronger and plays that way.

Revis is good enough to match up well with just about anyone, although the true burners (like Ginn) can give him trouble. But Revis will swallow Marshall whole. His absence played a huge role in the defensive struggles last night.

HEat could be used as an excuse in December but not in September. This was actully the best time for us to play them in their place because I think the Heat would have effected us much worse in December. When they come to play us lets hope its 20 degrees with a -10 wind chill.

Gotta disagree, Smash.

The rule of thumb in the AFCE has always been: play Buffalo on the road early and Miami late. Avoid the bitter cold in Buffalo in December and the brutal heat in Miami in September, early October.

Playing against Miami on the road in December is ideal. The Jets D got gassed. The D shut down the defense early in the game, but then lo and behold, Miami starts to move the ball. Why? The conditions is a major factor.

Archived