New York Knicks' Season Opener Game Thread...and on

BroadwayJoe12

What Seed Will the Knicks Get?? (I say 6th)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Seed Will The Knicks Get?

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused as to why people are calling for D'Antoni's head. You all wanted Carmelo here to pair with Stoudemire, and both of those players are historically punchlines defensively. It would be like trading for Bruce Bowen and Ben Wallace and wondering why you can't score any points.

I'm confused as to why people are calling for D'Antoni's head. You all wanted Carmelo here to pair with Stoudemire, and both of those players are historically punchlines defensively. It would be like trading for Bruce Bowen and Ben Wallace and wondering why you can't score any points.

It's not so much the personnel as it is the stress on playing it at all. There's a fine line between being mad that Melo's not clamping down enough and the fact that we put shooting guards on big men regularly. Aside from that, most of the problem over the years has been this: If our shot's not falling, we lose, period. There's never any other option and there's no other way you're possibly allowed to play on the court at any and all times. The problem with completely sacrificing defense from a coaching standpoint is that if your offense is having an off night, which will happen regularly when all you do is shoot shoot shoot, you're essentially screwed. It's a bad way to play basketball every night. The stubbornness is there night in and night out, and they simply don't get stops when they need to. And it would be one thing if it were an issue of they just can't, but they don't even try. That's on coaching.

Melo just seems lost for now. He's already clamoring for the defense to be simplified and he can't commit when he gets the rock. I can't for the life of me understand why he's having trouble spotting something so simple as a double, but whatever it is, that's on coaching. The ball movement's been non-existent. Nobody seems to know where they need to be in defensive situations in crunch time. All of these are unquestionably issues that are on coaching.

I'm still reserving judgement until the playoffs though. The Knicks play up to their competition often, and people dog D'Antoni for never winning a chip in Phoenix, but in reality he had a ton of success going deep in the playoffs annually. He simply couldn't beat Pop, Tim Duncan, and Tony Parker and I never really neg'd him for that like a lot of people always have. No shame in not being able to overcome a dynasty. Also they really caught some bad breaks along the way that weren't his fault (i.e. the Amare suspension which was complete BS against San Antonio for one, when they were absolutely rolling over teams at that point, they would have beaten them and probably Utah and Cleveland too).

We'll see, but IMO the Knicks don't have major personnel issues right now. This is a good team that's really being done in by some bizarre coaching.

Because the team shows that it's capable of playing D and beating good teams at an impressive pace then looses to the dregs of the NBA the next game.

^Great breakdown, Doug. All of that played out today against Milwaukee.

4 of 25 in the first quarter. You just don't come back from that when there's no plan b. At the very least, a comeback effort gets you within "we need to start making stops" distance, and that's just something Mike D'Antoni ball doesn't allow for.

Reminds me so much of Dominique.

A little, more Bernard King than Nique. And it's pretty fitting that's who he's most like, because King is the greatest Knick that never was. I love Melo, he's awesome. The majority of the time he's unquestionably the most talented player on the court. I don't think I witnessed one play to get anyone open in space last night. Chuck chuck chuck. I'd be a ******* malcontent too.

why don't you respect the Heat bro?

If you're serious, then it's because they all mad ea big show when they came together. LeBron held this big ego-driven press conference on ESPN, and Miami had a circus where they guaranteed they'd win I think 7 (?) championships before they even practiced. All of this, and they have a losing record against winning teams.

A little, more Bernard King than Nique. And it's pretty fitting that's who he's most like, because King is the greatest Knick that never was. I love Melo, he's awesome. The majority of the time he's unquestionably the most talented player on the court. I don't think I witnessed one play to get anyone open in space last night. Chuck chuck chuck. I'd be a ******* malcontent too.

No one's ever denied his talent.

Defensively, he just doesnt care. The poor body language doesnt help. Neither does being out of shape.

Word. Putting the ball in the basket is/was a little too easy for all three of them. Carmelo's offensive game is so freakishly good they should just let him shoot it 30 times and let the other four deal with everything else like the Hawks did with Nique.

Word. Putting the ball in the basket is/was a little too easy for all three of them. Carmelo's offensive game is so freakishly good they should just let him shoot it 30 times and let the other four deal with everything else like the Hawks did with Nique.

I just don't get the constant chuckage. He's one of the best I've ever seen at finding space in the paint. Amare is one of the greatest interior offensive players of the past several decades. The Knicks have the best forward combo in the entire league and we're going on the court against the god damn Pistons and tossing up 31 attempts from the 3 point line.

What a collapse. Just a complete collapse on defense down the stretch and constant chucking of horrible shots in the last few minutes. That was a clinic on a team knowing what to do in crunch time and a team completely lost. D'Antoni needs to go. Even Frazier at the end was confused at how all 5 players were standing 30 feet from the basket. The saddest part is that the effort and energy was there, but disorganization did them in. **** this coach.

Archived