Conner , Clemens updates

Jetfan13

Jets | John Conner likely to start in 2011

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:25:26 -0800

New York Jets FB John Conner likely will win the starting fullback job next season, according to Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jets | Kellen Clemens not expected to be back

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:24:54 -0800

New York Jets QB Kellen Clemens is not expected to be back with the team next season, according to Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this even qualify as news? Richardson was giving it one last go for a Super Bowl this year, which is why Conner wasn't starting already, but it's been pretty common knowledge that this was TRich's last year. And what evidence is there that either the Jets or Clemens have any interest in staying together? Clemens has been saying for years now he wants another shot to compete for a job, and the Jets have made it clear that they don't trust him to even be a backup, and even threatened to cut him at the end of camp if he didn't take a pay cut. Both of these "news" items could have been just as easily reported 5 months ago. Is this really the best Cimini's got?

Will be very interesting to see who backs up Sanchez in 2011, and going forward. Brunell is aged, but likely to be retained one more year. That leaves a spot (assuming Clemens is indeed ditched, not a suprise if it happens) for the #3/Developmental/Future Backup spot.

Do we have anyone who could/would fill that role already around the team (practice squad, street FA, former cut guy, addicted Ainge??)

Will be very interesting to see who backs up Sanchez in 2011, and going forward. Brunell is aged, but likely to be retained one more year. That leaves a spot (assuming Clemens is indeed ditched, not a suprise if it happens) for the #3/Developmental/Future Backup spot.

Do we have anyone who could/would fill that role already around the team (practice squad, street FA, former cut guy, addicted Ainge??)

I think that's why they resigned Kevin O'Connell b4 the season.

Aye, but it's hard (for me at least) to see O'Connell as much of an option as a long-term #2 behind Sanchez. Lets just say he'd have to improve by leaps and bounds to be trusted in that spot, or to even reach Clemens rather meh level of play/potential.

I, for one, will be hoping we aquire someone at low cost (late pick perhaps) to come in and learn and develop. Hard though, given the (possible, depending on CBA of course) many many losses our roster could suffer this coming offseason. Still, there are always alot fo 6th and 7th round QB prospects floating about.

It's a shame about Ainge. I had a thought he could really grow, if he wanted to and worked at it.

Not sure what happen with Ainge, but I read the dol-fags want to get a 2nd round pick back..maybe we will trade for Pennington...BWAHAHAHAHA

Aye, but it's hard (for me at least) to see O'Connell as much of an option as a long-term #2 behind Sanchez. Lets just say he'd have to improve by leaps and bounds to be trusted in that spot, or to even reach Clemens rather meh level of play/potential.

I, for one, will be hoping we aquire someone at low cost (late pick perhaps) to come in and learn and develop.

I think it's obvious at this stage that the Jets really liked O'Connell coming out of college and weren't happy when he was picked earlier than they thought he would be. So when he became available, even after two bomb-outs with other teams, the Jets grabbed him.

When he failed to produce, they found out he had a hurt shoulder and therefore decided to give him another chance after it healed. The Jets seem bound and determined to give this guy a chance to show what he's got when he's fully healthy. So it would not surprise me at all if he turns out to be on the team next year as Sanchez' backup, or as third string at least.

So I don't see the point of a late pick at QB, most of whom only make the team for a year or so. I think the Jets already have the prospect they are trying to groom.

They took back O'Connell because he claimed he was injured while with the Jets. Rather than deal with an injury grievance, which probably would have cost them his years salary anyway, they took him back and stored him on IR so they could still control his rights.

Does this even qualify as news? Richardson was giving it one last go for a Super Bowl this year, which is why Conner wasn't starting already, but it's been pretty common knowledge that this was TRich's last year. And what evidence is there that either the Jets or Clemens have any interest in staying together? Clemens has been saying for years now he wants another shot to compete for a job, and the Jets have made it clear that they don't trust him to even be a backup, and even threatened to cut him at the end of camp if he didn't take a pay cut. Both of these "news" items could have been just as easily reported 5 months ago. Is this really the best Cimini's got?

So Schotty can go get the Titan job and take KC with him. Voila!!

Jets | John Conner likely to start in 2011

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:25:26 -0800

New York Jets FB John Conner likely will win the starting fullback job next season, according to Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.

Jets | Kellen Clemens not expected to be back

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:24:54 -0800

New York Jets QB Kellen Clemens is not expected to be back with the team next season, according to Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.

Captain Obvious worthy reporting. Bravo. :rolleyes:

They took back O'Connell because he claimed he was injured while with the Jets. Rather than deal with an injury grievance, which probably would have cost them his years salary anyway, they took him back and stored him on IR so they could still control his rights.

True, but O'Connell isn't anywhere near as bad as keltic made him out to be. He was supposed to be raw and a project coming out. He had a nice rookie preseason and then got cut after a horrible preseason outing in '09. Some people said he looked very good earlier in camp last year. He didn't bomb out with two teams, just the Pats. Sure he was on the Lions for few minutes, but they just submitted the waiver claim to try and get something for him.

True, but O'Connell isn't anywhere near as bad as keltic made him out to be. He was supposed to be raw and a project coming out. He had a nice rookie preseason and then got cut after a horrible preseason outing in '09. Some people said he looked very good earlier in camp last year. He didn't bomb out with two teams, just the Pats. Sure he was on the Lions for few minutes, but they just submitted the waiver claim to try and get something for him.

Whether the Lions gave O'Connell an honest chance to make the team can be discussed back and forth, but when you come to a team as an unproven talent cut by your original team it is up to you to make your own chances, and he didn't. In other words, O'Connell was on the scrap heap with no more credentials than a hundred other guys trying to latch on with an NFL team.

However, from the time the Jets signed O'Connell you get the sense that they were glad to have him, it's just the way they acted toward him. In fact, we don't even know for sure that O'Connell got this deal because the Jets were afraid of a lawsuit. They cut him after really poor preseason performance, but it is possible the Jets were not aware of his injury. Throughout his tenure with the Jets you get the sense that somebody on the Jets is impressed with something about O'Connell and wants to be sure he gets a decent chance to show it before they let him go. There's nothihng wrong with that-most second and third string qb's make the team because somebody thinks they may be a lot better than what they have shown.

Whether the Lions gave O'Connell an honest chance to make the team can be discussed back and forth, but when you come to a team as an unproven talent cut by your original team it is up to you to make your own chances, and he didn't. In other words, O'Connell was on the scrap heap with no more credentials than a hundred other guys trying to latch on with an NFL team.

However, from the time the Jets signed O'Connell you get the sense that they were glad to have him, it's just the way they acted toward him. In fact, we don't even know for sure that O'Connell got this deal because the Jets were afraid of a lawsuit. They cut him after really poor preseason performance, but it is possible the Jets were not aware of his injury. Throughout his tenure with the Jets you get the sense that somebody on the Jets is impressed with something about O'Connell and wants to be sure he gets a decent chance to show it before they let him go. There's nothihng wrong with that-most second and third string qb's make the team because somebody thinks they may be a lot better than what they have shown.

An honest chance to make the team? The Lions acquired him at the end of the day on Sept 1st, fielded offers to see what they could get for him since there were 3 other teams interested when he was on waivers, and on Sept 6th he was on the Jets.

They got something for nothing, which was their intention.

An honest chance to make the team? The Lions acquired him at the end of the day on Sept 1st, fielded offers to see what they could get for him since there were 3 other teams interested when he was on waivers, and on Sept 6th he was on the Jets.

They got something for nothing, which was their intention.

Okay, fair enough. Although I imagine he had at least a couple of workouts with the Lions, right.

Very well, O'Connell only bombed with one team.

I still think he's on the Jets because somebody still thinks he possibly has a good upside that he hasn't shown yet, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The issue is the amount of money we had in backup QBs on the 2010-2011 NYJETS roster. Between KC and MB im willing to bet it was way more then we intend spending for next season. Bottom line we have other every down players that need to get paid. I see the 2011 back QBs as being Ainge, O'Connell or a really cheap journeyman.

Archived