Curtis Martin

Maxman

Obviously Faulk > Martin, but in no way shape or form should Sharpe or even Sanders get in before Martin. Consistency triumphs all. No, he was never the best HB in the NFL, but who cares. He is one of the greatest HBs of all-time. I honestly would rank him as top 10.

P.S. He did this on the JETS!

:confused: Did you ever actually see Sharpe or Sanders play?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah.. the rock and rick mirer did a hell of a job for the first half of 99..

I hate that homers make me attack martin, but the guys was just above average for 11 years, who happenned to stay healthy and play for coaches who feed him the ball as often as crusher feeds himself.. was never an elite player... that's just the facts..

The homers make you attack Martin?

The bottom line is this. Curtis Martin is like the one bright spot for this organization. Better yet, he is going to be a Hall of Famer that the Jets stole from the Patriots. Why Jets fans need to temper others that root for him, honestly I don't understand it.

Was Curtis as good as some thought he was? No. As bad as others say? No. The truth is in the middle. But why Jets fans debate Jets fans in the way they do always amazes me. Not that I am complaining about that part, I love the post counts it brings lol.

I am not disagreeing with you but I want to add one thing:

Look at the QBs both of those guys played with.

I hear you my brother - C-Mart was always running into a pretty stacked box whenever ole James Chadwick was taking the snap. I'm just trying to point out Faulk's double threat as a receiver.

I thought I saw at one point that Faulk had 4.3 speed.

I hear you my brother - C-Mart was always running into a pretty stacked box whenever ole James Chadwick was taking the snap. I'm just trying to point out Faulk's double threat as a receiver.

Yeah, I am definitely not taking anything away from Marshall. They were different backs no doubt.

2004 felt pretty elite. A QB that so many fans have called a joke. And he ran for 1700 yards, 12 TDs and a 4.6 yard average.

I think he had 7 seasons over 1200 yards. That seems elite. And he played with some pretty elite QBs, oh wait...no he didn't lol.

2004 jets olinen was beastly.. Lamont "less the jag" jordan would've had a higher ypc if they split carries

The homers make you attack Martin?

yes, of course.. i wouldn't be prompted to point out why he wasn't better then marshall faulk or shanon sharpe or deon sanders if I didn't read people saying he was...

The bottom line is this. Curtis Martin is like the one bright spot for this organization. Better yet, he is going to be a Hall of Famer that the Jets stole from the Patriots. Why Jets fans need to temper others that root for him, honestly I don't understand it.

Why? why not? It's what we do here right? Debate opinions? Should opinions be tempered if they don't conform to a jet centric view? Are they any less valid? If a tree falls in the woods, is crusher still fat?

Was Curtis as good as some thought he was? No. As bad as others say? No. The truth is in the middle. But why Jets fans debate Jets fans in the way they do always amazes me. Not that I am complaining about that part, I love the post counts it brings lol.

true.. you're in the business of jet fans debating . Glad to be one of the ones that provides the contrarian pov to help drive post counts.. ;)

I think we can all agree that CM belongs in the HOF (klecko even more so, imo).. First ballot is just traditionally reserved for people who dominated when they played.. like klecko ;)

BURPPPP!!!!!

2004 jets olinen was beastly.. Lamont "less the jag" jordan would've had a higher ypc if they split carries

LOL. The timeless classic.

Can't wait for all the hall of fame induction ceremonies for the guys on that line.

yes, of course.. i wouldn't be prompted to point out why he wasn't better then marshall faulk or shanon sharpe or deon sanders if I didn't read people saying he was...

Why? why not? It's what we do here right? Debate opinions? Should opinions be tempered if they don't conform to a jet centric view? Are they any less valid? If a tree falls in the woods, is crusher still fat?

true.. you're in the business of jet fans debating . Glad to be one of the ones that provides the contrarian pov to help drive post counts.. ;)

I think we can all agree that CM belongs in the HOF (klecko even more so, imo).. First ballot is just traditionally reserved for people who dominated when they played.. like klecko ;)

BURPPPP!!!!!

The 1st ballot is WAY more subjective than people are giving it credit for. It depends on who retired the year you did really.

I will bet you Curtis gets in before Lamont?

Just kidding -- hope all is well Savage!

Depending on who is eligible next year Cumar may get in then.. If they put you in for being a great human being Martin would have been in as a rookie.. I have always said he will get in some day based on his durability and longevity and I stand by that.. Although I think Klecko and Winston Hill should be in so what do I know.. ;)

Depending on who is eligible next year Cumar may get in then.. If they put you in for being a great human being Martin would have been in as a rookie.. I have always said he will get in some day based on his durability and longevity and I stand by that.. Although I think Klecko and Winston Hill should be in so what do I know.. ;)

Really good post...

Would be nice if Klecko got in some day! Never saw Winston play so I can't comment on that one.

Did you see the QB's that Earl Campbell played with?? Dan Pastorini's best year was 16 tds and 17 picks.. Barry Sanders didn't have any great QB's as a host of others didn't.. Martin had Bledsoe who was a Pro Bowler and he avg 3.6 he had Vinny who had a Pro Bowl year and avg 3.5.. I know its a time of Mourning for Martinette's but I can't let that pass.. BTW Martin had his best year with Chaddy cakes as the QB..

Really good post...

Would be nice if Klecko got in some day! Never saw Winston play so I can't comment on that one.

How John Randle gets into the hof and Klecko doesnt just boggles my mind. the voting has become a joke. especially if shannon sharpe got in.

BTW Martin had his best year with Chaddy cakes as the QB..

Yeah he did - but it sure doesn't mean opposing D's were playing back as they respected Pus Arm's cannon. If I remember right, C-Mart traveled to Santa Monica before camp started that year to work on some mo-fo stairs by the beach with another NFL great, who's identity escapes me for the moment. Anyway - he was in monster shape and its showed in his numbers. Another example of C-Mart doing the work required. His big numbers didn't have much of anything to do with Penny doing hard counts to draw guys off-side

You cannot change history. And history will always be that on cold days in Denver and Pittsburgh and several other January days Martin had the chance to step up and take over a playoff gae. He had one good playoff game here vs. the Jags. That's it. And if he was so great like like that SMith or Harris or Riggins were in the big games their teams played, I'd be with you. But the sugarcoating about his greatness here is bull$hit. He showed up every day, and that has value. But he was never dominant. Dominance when it matters is greatness . By the odd way the HoF judges players he will get in. If that is grounds for a cyber parade good for you; I don't get it.

But spare me the nonsense. It gets to the core of the way this franchise has dumbed down greatness for it's fans.zWe've sucked so bad so often for so long we want to or are supposed to get excited over Martin. We get a guy who hung around forever and want to somehow hang our hats on that. If Martin was truly great he takes the ball with a 10-0 3rd quarter lead vs. the Broncos and runs the freaking clock out and the Jets beat the Falcons in the 1998/99 Super Bowl, and we would be happily in agreement.It did not happen. Would rather have had a back of 6-8 great years like Earl Campbell than 14 years of decent showing up. And as to Earl Campbell, the Oilers had literally no playbook other than hand him the ball, which is why he's now in a wheelchair. So when you poormouth the Jets' OLs or QBs Martin played with, you might want to check yourself before you look silly. may eb you don't know how the NFL has changed in the last 30 odd years. Again, more indication we seem to hang on to the crumbs than appreciate grasping the brass ring is the goddamn idea.

Yeah he did - but it sure doesn't mean opposing D's were playing back as they respected Pus Arm's cannon. If I remember right, C-Mart traveled to Santa Monica before camp started that year to work on some mo-fo stairs by the beach with another NFL great, who's identity escapes me for the moment. Anyway - he was in monster shape and its showed in his numbers. Another example of C-Mart doing the work required. His big numbers didn't have much of anything to do with Penny doing hard counts to draw guys off-side

I remember being at a home game against the Patriots in 2003 or 2004 (dont remember which year). but it was the one where Pennington threw 5 int. the Jets would run the ball against a stacked line on 1st and 2nd down. and then with Pennington in obvious passing situations you could see the Patriots take away the entire middle of the field and dare Pennington to throw to the sidelines. it was so obvious being at the game and watching that sh*t to see how badly the Jets used to be outcoached on offense during Cumars career with Pennington.

How John Randle gets into the hof and Klecko doesnt just boggles my mind. the voting has become a joke. especially if shannon sharpe got in.

John Randle was a 7 time Pro Bowler and a 6 time first team All Pro.. Klecko who was one of my favorite players and a 4-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro ..Hell Gastineau was a 5-time Pro Bowler & 3-time First-Team All-Pro.. Martin was a 5 time pro bowler and made all pro once thanks to 2 overtime games in 04 with more carries then anyone else to win by 1 yd. :P 2 of his pro bowls his season avg was 3.6 1996 and 3.5 yard per carry in 98.. In 96 Murrell outrushed him on less carries but 96 and 98 the teams won division titles so that got him 2 of the 5 Pro bowls..

John Randle was a 7 time Pro Bowler and a 6 time first team All Pro.. Klecko who was one of my favorite players and a 4-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro ..Hell Gastineau was a 5-time Pro Bowler & 3-time First-Team All-Pro.. Martin was a 5 time pro bowler and made all pro once thanks to 2 overtime games in 04 with more carries then anyone else to win by 1 yd. :P 2 of his pro bowls his season avg was 3.6 1996 and 3.5 yard per carry in 98.. In 96 Murrell outrushed him on less carries but 96 and 98 the teams won division titles so that got him 2 of the 5 Pro bowls..

Klecko blew his knee up in 82 and 86. and his first 3 years were wasted playing in a retarded 3-4 defense that never blitzed. he was also the only defensive player to make pro bowl at all the d line positions.

LOL. The timeless classic.

Can't wait for all the hall of fame induction ceremonies for the guys on that line.

Kevin Mawae is definitely a Hall of Famer.

That entire line was beastmode. It was five HOFers, but it WAS five excellent offensive linemen all in the prime of their careers.

Maybe if LaMont the Devil had received more carries, we would be celebrating our world championship, rather than debating the Hall of Fame merits of our "warrior" tailback.

Thanks for adding you intellectual inputs to this thread! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't realize you are such a serious student of the game. So let's break it down.

Quickness - Faulk (not close)

Speed - Faulk (not close)

Balance - Faulk

Ability to follow blocking - Martin (close)

Ability to break tackles - Faulk

Ability to juke out tacklers - Faulk (not close)

Ability to change direction - Faulk

Pass Blocking - Martin (slight edge)

Pass Receiving - Faulk (not close)

Ball Protection - Martin

Durability - Martin

i'd think it's relevant that you are commenting on guys who where in thier prime when you were in grade school.. sanders and sharpe were both wayyy better at thier respective positions then martin was at his..

So, because I was in grade school means that I can't comment on them? I watched and followed the NFL from a very, very young age....Sanders I only really saw a few years, but Sharpe was one of those guys I watched growing up, along with guys like Curtis, Drew Bledsoe, Tedi Bruschi, and Kurt Warner. Just because I'm younger doesn't mean I don't know as much about football.

Sorry, I didn't realize you are such a serious student of the game. So let's break it down.

Quickness - Faulk (not close)

Speed - Faulk (not close)

Balance - Faulk

Ability to follow blocking - Martin (close)

Ability to break tackles - Faulk

Ability to juke out tacklers - Faulk (not close)

Ability to change direction - Faulk

Pass Blocking - Martin (slight edge)

Pass Receiving - Faulk (not close)

Ball Protection - Martin

Durability - Martin

Durability > all

Durability > all

Yes, must maintain that mediocrity. He couldn't break a tackle, juke out a tackler or run away from anyone, but thank GOD he was there every week. Especially when he imtimidated his coach to let him play on one leg.

You cannot change history. And history will always be that on cold days in Denver and Pittsburgh and several other January days Martin had the chance to step up and take over a playoff gae. He had one good playoff game here vs. the Jags. That's it. And if he was so great like like that SMith or Harris or Riggins were in the big games their teams played, I'd be with you. But the sugarcoating about his greatness here is bull$hit. He showed up every day, and that has value. But he was never dominant. Dominance when it matters is greatness . By the odd way the HoF judges players he will get in. If that is grounds for a cyber parade good for you; I don't get it.

But spare me the nonsense. It gets to the core of the way this franchise has dumbed down greatness for it's fans.zWe've sucked so bad so often for so long we want to or are supposed to get excited over Martin. We get a guy who hung around forever and want to somehow hang our hats on that. If Martin was truly great he takes the ball with a 10-0 3rd quarter lead vs. the Broncos and runs the freaking clock out and the Jets beat the Falcons in the 1998/99 Super Bowl, and we would be happily in agreement.It did not happen. Would rather have had a back of 6-8 great years like Earl Campbell than 14 years of decent showing up. And as to Earl Campbell, the Oilers had literally no playbook other than hand him the ball, which is why he's now in a wheelchair. So when you poormouth the Jets' OLs or QBs Martin played with, you might want to check yourself before you look silly. may eb you don't know how the NFL has changed in the last 30 odd years. Again, more indication we seem to hang on to the crumbs than appreciate grasping the brass ring is the goddamn idea.

earl campbells post season icludes a 3.1 ypc

martins post season includes a 4.47 ypc

oh, and the jets haven't sucked in over 12 years ;)

I guess it takes a little longer to get to Canton when you're trying to get there 3.5 yards at a clip.

Does the site still do Post of the Week? This is a hall of fame post.

Durability > all

So?

Martin was a good back. The only thing he was great at was durability. That should not get him into the Hall. That is not to say he is not hall worthy, but he is not a first ballot guy. No one at any point in his career considered him the best back in the league.

I think Kyle Clifton should make the HOF, too. The guy was so consistent and put up big numbers every year and was a real warrior. #KC4HOF2012

Don't you know, it's the Hall of Consistency.

For a guy who relied on quickness and cutting ability rather than tackle-breaking or the power to push the pile extra yards, it's pretty damning when you don't rank in the top 300 in NFL history in yards per carry (especially given the quantity of longer runs where we did draw plays on 3rd & long & still punted). As much as anything else, I think his 4.0 ypc kept him out as a first-balloter. He had all these impressive numbers that surely will get him in (I do contend that if it was so easy to accumulate that many yards there would be more who would have done it), but . Then again, these guys - who play at positions where there are a LOT more players with longer careers - didn't (or won't) get in either:

Henry Ellard retired #3 in NFL history in receptions and receiving yards. Cris Carter retired #2 in NFL history in receptions and receiving yards. Isaac Bruce retired #2 in NFL history in receiving yards. Vinny Testaverde retired #6 in NFL history in passing yards. Drew Bledsoe a hair behind him at #7. Kerry Collins is going to crack the top-10 with another 110 yards.

In the end, I don't think defenders or defensive coordinators worried terribly about what magic they were going to have to conjure up to stop Curtis Martin. His string of consecutive seasons with all those yards at a short-career type of position is impossible to ignore. But if it was the hall of career totals then there are others equally or more deserving who won't - and probably shouldn't - get in either.

People are confusing having an amazing career totals at his position with being amazing at his position. The latter makes me think of RB's nowadays like Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles and Chris Johnson. The former makes me think of baseball pitchers like Don Sutton and Bert Blyleven. Those guys eventually got in, and if players like James Lofton, Steve Largent, Warren Moon (among others) got in then so will Curtis Martin.

earl campbells post season icludes a 3.1 ypc

martins post season includes a 4.47 ypc

oh, and the jets haven't sucked in over 12 years ;)

If the only offense a team has is one guy, yes, he will get tackled. Which is what often happened with Campbell. On his best day and Martin's best day there is no comparison; Campbell was far superior. Again Bum Phillip's offense was basically Earl, left, right and up the middle. If there was ever a day Martin ran over LBs like Campbell I'm not aware of it. Would prefer not to be the turd in the punch bowl but as to sucking we haven't raised a Lombardi since 1969.And in no small part because there has been so little success and so much futility Jets fans as here are rallying to player who had a good and statisctically impressive career.

Archived