unprecedented draft bust

mark6sanchez

Not really.

Gholston didn't really hurt the Jets all that much. They were never hamstrung capwise as a result of him busting out. He didn't necessarily make them a worse team or impede their ability to improve.

Jamarcus Russell set the Raiders back several years. Ryan Leaf set the Chargers back several years.

In order for him to be one of the biggest busts of all time, his failure would have had to have negatively impacted the team much more than it did.

Says who?

The dude is going to go down as one of the biggest busts in the history of the league. Very few players that have ever put on a NFL uniform were as unproductive as Vernon Gholston. Not only could he be the biggest bust in NFL history, he could possibly be one of the worst overall players to ever put on a uniform.

Homer

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's funny, I thought the Jets made it farther than they have in more than a decade because Gholston sucked. :rolleyes:

One player wouldn't have changed the outcome of either of our AFC Championship Game losses.

Disagree 100% with the last point. 20M would have went a long way to get a safety to STAY BACK and cover the deep middle with < 2 to go in the 1st half at INDY.

20M also would have went a long way in finding a pass rusher.

I think your point is it didn't KILL US, but it definitely hurt.

Says who?

The dude is going to go down as one of the biggest busts in the history of the league. Very few players that have ever put on a NFL uniform were as unproductive as Vernon Gholston. Not only could he be the biggest bust in NFL history, he could possibly be one of the worst overall players to ever put on a uniform.

Homer

I still have his green #56 authentic jersey size xxl with the taqs on it. Sounds as if you migh tbe interested. :D

Says who?

Homer

:hand:

Disagree 100% with the last point. 20M would have went a long way to get a safety to STAY BACK and cover the deep middle with < 2 to go in the 1st half at INDY.

20M also would have went a long way in finding a pass rusher.

I think your point is it didn't KILL US, but it definitely hurt.

+1

At best, one could say it didn't hurt as much as a position like QB where players don't have the ability to get subbed in & out so they can learn more gradually. A total bust QB kills the season. A total bust player at just about every other position just rides the bench. It hurts - badly - but it doesn't equal the automatic loss that a team gets from putting an Akili Smith type bust on the field (barring impossibilities like Corey Dillon setting the single-game rushing record against the NFL's #1 rush D).

Except he definitely meant it didn't hurt us - as in we would have lost both of those games anyway - which is simply silly. Take Hines Ward off Pittsburgh and tell me his presence or absence has no impact on whether Pittsburgh wins or loses.

+1

At best, one could say it didn't hurt as much as a position like QB where players don't have the ability to get subbed in & out so they can learn more gradually. A total bust QB kills the season. A total bust player at just about every other position just rides the bench. It hurts - badly - but it doesn't equal the automatic loss that a team gets from putting an Akili Smith type bust on the field (barring impossibilities like Corey Dillon setting the single-game rushing record against the NFL's #1 rush D).

Except he definitely meant it didn't hurt us - as in we would have lost both of those games anyway - which is simply silly. Take Hines Ward off Pittsburgh and tell me his presence or absence has no impact on whether Pittsburgh wins or loses.

Please don't speak for me Sperm.

One non-QB player wouldn't have changed the outcome of either AFC Title game we lost. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Gholston has not hampered the Jets ability to improve as a team one iota since he arrived. You know how I know that? The team has improved each year he's been on it despite him not contributing a damn thing.

Please don't speak for me Sperm.

One non-QB player wouldn't have changed the outcome of either AFC Title game we lost. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Gholston has not hampered the Jets ability to improve as a team one iota since he arrived. You know how I know that? The team has improved each year he's been on it despite him not contributing a damn thing.

It seems I restated your inference perfectly. That no player (who commands an impact-player sized contract as Gholston had) would have made a difference in either championship game due to the results of an outcome you saw without said impact player.

And your logic is based only on the outcomes you know to have happened. That type of logic suggest that if Herm Edwards was the HC of the Saints last year they still would have had the #1 offense and still would have won the superbowl.

I find it amazing that such a Jets homer wouldn't think we were a better starting CB (not to mention a better/healthy NB and the draft pick cost for Sheppard), or better pass rusher away, from covering Garcon and Collie in the AFCCC last year instead of our 3rd-rate non-Revises making them both look like all-time great WR's.

Good Lord. We went chasing after a geriatric, career-enemy in Jason Taylor as a means to improve the defense.

Truth.

I had posted a picture of Jesus playing football (not Tim Tebow, a figure wearing a crown of thorns) and decided that it might not be well-received.

Ha. Isn't the description just as bad as the picture. The description makes me think of Conan showing the Jesus Action Figures. They were not a bit. Somebody was actually selling them. Football Jesus. Tae Kwan Do Jesus.

jesus-football.jpg

He is wearing sandals to play football and #21 is actually tackling Him.

*Edit to capitalize Him.

The most unprecedented draft bust has to be when JetNation traded up in the 2008 message board poster draft and Max took the poster who eventually became known as DLJ. Unprecedented bust in terms of Jets Message Board posters. Spectacularly unprecedented...

Speaking of jerseys no takers on that Gholston jersey?

Call Jesus. Maybe he'll trade.

Seriously, as if my ticket wasn't already punched.

As far as the player, I was just guessing based on the number, as I can't recall any other Cowboys QB's wearing #7.

Well, better Beuerlein than Babe Laufenberg.

The most unprecedented draft bust has to be when JetNation traded up in the 2008 message board poster draft and Max took the poster who eventually became known as DLJ. Unprecedented bust in terms of Jets Message Board posters. Spectacularly unprecedented...

HAI! GIMME SOME RESPECT! I've had quite a few fails myself.

Last yr I stated on this forum that Gholston could be one of the NFL's biggest draft bust ever due to his total lack of on the field productivity ...However, a few of the resident lames here argued "no it has to be someone like JaMarcus Russell because he was paid so much". What???.. at least Russell had a few decent games, threw a few TDs... Where high draft choice Gholston's NFL career ineptness is histrionically BAD if not worst of all time. Mr. T also has to live with this the rest of his NFL GM career, last yr's draft suck too...Tannenbaum get it together this yr please!

My link

Did you get a crick in your neck sucking your own dick?

I only grazed over this thread by spinning my mouse-wheel backwards really fast. Can someone clarify, is my man Klecko defending Gholston?

If you are referring to Klacko yes it seems his opinion is that wasting millions of dollars and a roster spot on a 1st round draft pick bust had no negative impact on the team whatsoever.

"One non-QB player wouldn't have changed the outcome of either AFC Title game we lost. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Gholston has not hampered the Jets ability to improve as a team one iota since he arrived. You know how I know that? The team has improved each year he's been on it despite him not contributing a damn thing. "

It seems I restated your inference perfectly. That no player (who commands an impact-player sized contract as Gholston had) would have made a difference in either championship game due to the results of an outcome you saw without said impact player.

And your logic is based only on the outcomes you know to have happened. That type of logic suggest that if Herm Edwards was the HC of the Saints last year they still would have had the #1 offense and still would have won the superbowl.

I find it amazing that such a Jets homer wouldn't think we were a better starting CB (not to mention a better/healthy NB and the draft pick cost for Sheppard), or better pass rusher away, from covering Garcon and Collie in the AFCCC last year instead of our 3rd-rate non-Revises making them both look like all-time great WR's.

Good Lord. We went chasing after a geriatric, career-enemy in Jason Taylor as a means to improve the defense.

bwhahahahahahahaha...Klacko pwned. Love it.

One thing you dont realize about Klackos homerific ways, is that he wont admit the Jets made a mistake that hurt the team...so it shouldnt come as surprise that he'd feel the Jets wasting 50 million on the 6th overall picks who happens to be one of the worst players in the history of the NFL, didnt hurt the Jets at all...nah, we didnt need a pass rusher or a corner or a safety to help the D get past the Colts or the Steelers in the AFCG.

I only grazed over this thread by spinning my mouse-wheel backwards really fast. Can someone clarify, is my man Klecko defending Gholston?

If you are referring to Klacko yes it seems his opinion is that wasting millions of dollars and a roster spot on a 1st round draft pick bust had no negative impact on the team whatsoever.

"One non-QB player wouldn't have changed the outcome of either AFC Title game we lost. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Gholston has not hampered the Jets ability to improve as a team one iota since he arrived. You know how I know that? The team has improved each year he's been on it despite him not contributing a damn thing. "

:akf:

:screwy:

One thing you dont realize about Klackos homerific ways, is that he wont admit the Jets made a mistake that hurt the team...so it shouldnt come as surprise that he'd feel the Jets wasting 50 million on the 6th overall picks who happens to be one of the worst players in the history of the NFL, didnt hurt the Jets at all...nah, we didnt need a pass rusher or a corner or a safety to help the D get past the Colts or the Steelers in the AFCG.

Right. How could he hurt the team from over there on the bench or the inactive list?

Hey we're all fans here. But it is impossible to say a team with a decades-long SB drought doesn't make big mistakes.

Gholston hurt in many ways.

He hurt team morale as judged by the countless player comments (however many were anonymous) about waiting for him to wake up.

He hurt in terms of the team filling an area of need with an expensive player and still having that hole afterwards.

He hurt in the impact-type player that was not drafted in his stead.

He hurt in the trade-down and extra draft pick(s) not acquired (if NE can trade down from #7 to #10 with Gholston off the board surely the Jets could have traded down from one slot higher with him still on it).

He hurt in the player(s) we perhaps at OLB did not draft for 2 years because of any reluctance to give up on a #6 overall pick so soon.

He hurt in the player(s) we did not acquire at his mega-salary. Particularly at CB and NB, instead settling on trading picks for Sheppard for 1 year at $3M and signing Strickland for 1 year at $1M. Neither lasted to 2010, which then played a major part in the necessity of trading a #2 pick for Cromartie - potentially for 1 year - and using a #1 on Wilson in the same offseason.

There is a multitude of things the team did not do, and the ways in which the team might have been improved, but for drafting this useless waste of cap space. This hurt the team during the season(s), which could have affected where the championship game venues were, and it hurt the team during those games.

Truth is we probably wouldn't have made it out of the first round if not for Caldwell's stupidity, and an impact player in Gholston's place would have gone a long way to avoiding that. I don't know how else to respond to the notion that subbing an inactive player out for an active impact player would not have helped us win a do-or-die game.

Archived