***Official Draft Day Thread***

JustInFudge

Ok, fair points made here, but I still don't understand what we're thinking with a 4th RB when there were other needs that could have been addressed. They must have really been in love with the guy.

You draft needs in rounds 1-2 maybe 3... after that you draft upside and projects... rarely does a 4-7 rounder pay off as a starter year 1...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see what you mean but then why not go for upside at a position you are notoriously weak at?

They're filling needs just not "We want a starter at OLB so let's draft one at the end of the 4th round" needs...obviously they like Powell a whole lot, and it is a bit of a need if you think about it. Who knows if Tomlinson comes back and what he has in the tank. Assuming he doesn't or not much, at RB you've got injury and fumble prone Shonn Greene and massively unproven Joe McKnight.

Adding a bit of stability to the RB position with a guy you really like probably makes sense for a team that loves running the football. I mean odds are whoever you take in the 4th round isn't going to be taking Bryan Thomas's job anyway unfortunately, probably not going to find a long-term starter at WR. I could've seen a safety but all of the name guys are dropping a ton anyway. So it kind of did make sense. Plus Powell probably is going to be a core special teams guy.

Then Kerley's a returner and presumably a slot, especially if Smith and one of Holmes/Edwards go. Cotchery presumably joins the other one playing outside, and beyond that who is really left?

To be completely honest I wasn't a huge fan of either pick initially, but it's pretty clear what they're thinking with both. Obviously they didn't think they were able to fill a starter role at a position of need, so they're filling another, generally considered to be less significant, one with a player they really like. One thing I do like about the Powell pick is I think that's a major sign that they're going to get back to running the football this year instead of having Sanchez throw 30, 40 times a game.

I see what you mean but then why not go for upside at a position you are notoriously weak at?

Because they take time to develop...by the time they may be talented enough to start, it mightn't be a need any more. So there's no point in trying to fit needs now with guys that won't be ready for a few years.

They're filling needs just not "We want a starter at OLB so let's draft one at the end of the 4th round" needs...obviously they like Powell a whole lot, and it is a bit of a need if you think about it. Who knows if Tomlinson comes back and what he has in the tank. Assuming he doesn't or not much, at RB you've got injury and fumble prone Shonn Greene and massively unproven Joe McKnight.

Adding a bit of stability to the RB position with a guy you really like probably makes sense for a team that loves running the football. I mean odds are whoever you take in the 4th round isn't going to be taking Bryan Thomas's job anyway unfortunately, probably not going to find a long-term starter at WR. I could've seen a safety but all of the name guys are dropping a ton anyway. So it kind of did make sense. Plus Powell probably is going to be a core special teams guy.

Then Kerley's a returner and presumably a slot, especially if Smith and one of Holmes/Edwards go. Cotchery presumably joins the other one playing outside, and beyond that who is really left?

To be completely honest I wasn't a huge fan of either pick initially, but it's pretty clear what they're thinking with both. Obviously they didn't think they were able to fill a starter role at a position of need, so they're filling another, generally considered to be less significant, one with a player they really like. One thing I do like about the Powell pick is I think that's a major sign that they're going to get back to running the football this year instead of having Sanchez throw 30, 40 times a game.

you need to post here more often derp...good stuff all day bro

Archived