***Official Draft Day Thread***

JustInFudge

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like a couple of Brad Smith's jobs are in jeopardy-we needed a true return man who is also a receiver by trade instead of a QB that is also a WR and returns the kicks. Maybe Brad Smith can switch over to safety. I'm not kidding here either-he CAN tackle and he can sometimes even catch a football.

Almost all of the reports I read after we drafted him highlighted his vision and ability to find holes. I think he will be good with our O-line, the more I read about him the more I like the pick.

did they Ice? I didn't see any of that stuff because I wasn't doing any research on this draft like I usually do. My son watched it with me and made the point and after watching more I said "you're right, he DOES"

I really don't know what Brad Smith is worth. There is no one else in the NFL like him that you can compare salaries with. He is one of the three or four best kick returners in the game. He is a great, and I mean great, special teams coverage guy. Although it upsets so many Jets fans a great deal, his wildcat averages about 8 yards a carry. And unlike most runners of the wildcat, he can actually throw the ball if dipsh#t would let him more than once a year. He is dangerous on WR reverses. He is a serviceable 4th or 5th WR, who, again if we had an OC with a brain in his head, should be thrown screen passes and other short passes to take advantage of his broken field running. And he can play QB in an emergency, I don't know why we go into games with three active QBs. On top of that he is a great kid and teammate. I will miss him. I think the Jets will miss him more than most imagine.

I really don't know what Brad Smith is worth. There is no one else in the NFL like him that you can compare salaries with. He is one of the three or four best kick returners in the game. He is a great, and I mean great, special teams coverage guy. Although it upsets so many Jets fans a great deal, his wildcat averages about 8 yards a carry. And unlike most runners of the wildcat, he can actually throw the ball if dipsh#t would let him more than once a year. He is dangerous on WR reverses. He is a serviceable 4th or 5th WR, who, again if we had an OC with a brain in his head, should be thrown screen passes and other short passes to take advantage of his broken field running. And he can play QB in an emergency, I don't know why we go into games with three active QBs. On top of that he is a great kid and teammate. I will miss him. I think the Jets will miss him more than most imagine.

Josh Cribbs. Though I don't think Smith is worth that kindof moeny to the Jets. How many games did Cribbs help the Browns win. Smith was worth one game to the Jets, the Cincinatti game. If the Jets lose smith, they can find two guys, wither throught the draft or free agency who will help make up that game. Besides it took Smith three to four years to become what he was to the Jets, who knows if one of the previous years draft picks won't grow into a similar role. (McKnight)

I really wanted Greg Jones with that trade up but it's been all visits so far. Left: Dominquez, Lefeged, Fusco, Malcolm Smith, Ogbu, Joseph.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they go for Lefeged if he's there. Seemed really interested in Fusco too. Personally I'd be interested in a guy like Greg Romeus if he falls, super productive two years ago and then he had some injury issues this past year. Injury concerns with him but he's got a bunch of upside, similar to Greg Hardy who the Panthers took last year - probably a first round caliber guy as a pass rusher but huge question marks about whether or not he's going to stay healthy.

Josh Cribbs. Though I don't think Smith is worth that kindof moeny to the Jets. How many games did Cribbs help the Browns win. Smith was worth one game to the Jets, the Cincinatti game. If the Jets lose smith, they can find two guys, wither throught the draft or free agency who will help make up that game. Besides it took Smith three to four years to become what he was to the Jets, who knows if one of the previous years draft picks won't grow into a similar role. (McKnight)

The 2009 and earlier Cribbs. Last year he was pretty average retuning kicks. He doesn't play other special teams like Smith. He is a better receiver but is mediocre running the ball from the LOS and can't play QB. And put Smith with a decent OC somewhere else, and we will be gnashing our teeth.

I don't think any of us dislike Brad Smith VJ, I think it's more the way he is utilized by Schotty. The thing I don't like about The Wildcat is it takes a young QB off the field and out of his rhythm. I was serious when I asked if anybody else thinks that Brad could be a safety. The dude's a football player-we all know that and there have been a lot of college QBs who have switched over to the position.

It looks like they're just going with value picks, I guess, I'm not really sure. But why would you add a 4th RB? What are you going to actually do with him? Why not take a chance on a safety or OLB? And why go 2 linemen instead of 1 dline, 1 OLB when you can just keep Pouha in the middle and Devito on the end? In other words it seems we are drafting players to sit on our bench when we could be drafting potential starters.

I don't think any of us dislike Brad Smith VJ, I think it's more the way he is utilized by Schotty. The thing I don't like about The Wildcat is it takes a young QB off the field and out of his rhythm. I was serious when I asked if anybody else thinks that Brad could be a safety. The dude's a football player-we all know that and there have been a lot of college QBs who have switched over to the position.

I agree. I am so afraid of what someone else could do with Smith. The Jets wildcat has been very successful (8 yards per attempt). But he runs it at wierd times (like when Sanchez is on a roll) and he doesn't take advantage enough of Smith's passing ability. And yes, I think Smith has the potential to possibly be a very good safety.

Fwiw Mayock's the ****king man but I still don't like the Powell pick. Jmo. Makes me feel better Mayock liked it though. Dude was a one year wonder who couldn't stay healthy through the combine or pro day.

Charlie Casserly said he was the best value pick in the entire draft so far.

It looks like they're just going with value picks, I guess, I'm not really sure. But why would you add a 4th RB? What are you going to actually do with him? Why not take a chance on a safety or OLB? And why go 2 linemen instead of 1 dline, 1 OLB when you can just keep Pouha in the middle and Devito on the end? In other words it seems we are drafting players to sit on our bench when we could be drafting potential starters.

Pouha's 32 and DeVito's nothing special...if you feel that the guys you drafted are going to be something special (or at the very least might), then it makes a lot of sense to make the move. Plus, now we can play a lot more 4-3 when needed, adds a ton of flexibility. Rex doesn't run a set system, so I think it fits perfectly for him--he'll play guys where they'll make the biggest impact, so I don't think there's going to be much of a question of utilizing these guys.

Ok no one else is a little bummed about another season of Bryan Thomas starting?

I am for sure. Kind of hoping Westerman gets a shot to start and takes the job, but I know that's unlikely. Almost wonder if Thomas gets cut just to save money to re-sign guys, not sure what he brings that somebody else on the team couldn't.

Well the 5th rd pick essentially means the end of Brad Smith's run with the JETS.

Thanks for all the great memories Brad.

I wonder what happens to the wild cat now ?

Wonder if they address that in the 7th round (though I saw Powell ran some wildcat at Louisville) know they expressed interest in Tyrod Taylor and talked about taking a QB and trying to develop him...Taylor's a great athlete who actually does a good job hanging in the pocket and has a great arm, so he could be worth trying to develop and definitely has the skill set to be dangerous running the wildcat (downside to him is he's shorter than you'd prefer, but good players have overcome that, think he could use some accuracy work as well). Of course I'll be wrong on this one, but if he's around I think it's a possibility. EDIT: Baltimore just took him, so we'll never know if the Jets actually liked him.

Pouha's 32 and DeVito's nothing special...if you feel that the guys you drafted are going to be something special (or at the very least might), then it makes a lot of sense to make the move. Plus, now we can play a lot more 4-3 when needed, adds a ton of flexibility. Rex doesn't run a set system, so I think it fits perfectly for him--he'll play guys where they'll make the biggest impact, so I don't think there's going to be much of a question of utilizing these guys.

DeVito isn't much in terms of getting after the QB yet, but he graded out as the #1 3-4 end against the run this past year according to Pro Football Focus. Impressive. I think he's a long-term starter and very much deserves to be considered one.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/17/secret-superstar-mike-devito-new-york-jets/

Not to mention Pouha's also a free agent next season.

Archived