Movies We've Seen Thread

As a Godzilla fan going back to 1977, I am really enjoying all the Godzilla movies.  

New empire for me is the best Godzilla movie in the monster verse franchise.  

The CGI really has come a long way. The  2014 movie was fairly limited by lighting/shading constraints so the total screen time of Godzilla and the mutos was only 16 minutes and a lot of dark scenes. 

This movie had to have 45 minutes of screen time for all the monsters, glorious daylight scenes, but Godzilla is definitely the minor character, Kong gets much more time. 

The plot was good, the comic relief was good, the soundtrack was good. 

Very unexpected emotions towards the end.  They made me care about one of the characters and the payoff was good. 

Minor criticism is the hollow earth plot doesn’t do much for me but I get the business decision of trying to build a franchise. 

Couple throw backs to the old movies with Godzilla launching a monster with his tail. 

4/5 stars. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2024 at 9:14 PM, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Great choices! My faves are: 

Full Metal Jacket Icon | Movie Mega Pack 5 Iconpack | FirstLine1image.jpeg.253953576a5088b79ba186206b0525d0.jpeg  image.jpeg.96c8833ddba5d4d6fd87226f1fd51b31.jpeg

image.jpeg.19af684c2d9c81e2626f3b3118cce828.jpeg Come and See (1985) - IMDb

Dunno if you're familiar with Come and See, but it was made by a Soviet director and it's about the Nazi occupation of Belarus. Very underrated film. Okay, I've rambled enough 

Finally a great movie and awesome cast. 

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - IMDb

Yep, the Brit’s trying to move a division down a one lane road while their para ‘s were trying to hold a bridge in Arnhem pretty much sums up Monty as a general, er, field Marshall.

Good movies all.  Try paths of glory or longest day or we were soldiers.  I also liked a German movie Stalingrad.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 12:50 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Because Disney is/was a massive entertainment company that holds the rights to some of the biggest IPs in pop culture entertainment and they are figuratively slitting their own throats publicly by being stubbornly against just reading the room. 

The latest "buzz" about yet another "Star Wars" movie has been almost universally laughter and derision at the announcement. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I couldn't wait to intro SW to my kids as a younger father .. my kids grew up watching the old stuff. When the 2015 movie came out. I knew it was meh, but the kids were entertained a bit.... When 8 came out, my then 9 year old basically checked out, "Why is Luke acting like this? I don't like it". My younger son no longer has any interest in the brand... even after I explained to them that what they like is up to them, not me. They were both like, nah, its just lame now. 

Great job, Kathy!

I don’t necessarily mind the woke aspect of the recent Marvell and Star Wars movies but the stories are all pretty much rehashes and the characters illogical.  Just how many times do these Jedi’s keep falling or relying on ground transport when they’ve been shown to be able to fly.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yep, the Brit’s trying to move a division down a one lane road while their para ‘s were trying to hold a bridge in Arnhem pretty much sums up Monty as a general, er, field Marshall.

Good movies all.  Try paths of glory or longest day or we were soldiers.  I also liked a German movie Stalingrad.

I'll check out Stalingrad. Another one was Cross of Iron, which was about the Eastern Front. Also, I highly recommend Come and See, also regarding the Eastern Front. 

11 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

I'll check out Stalingrad. Another one was Cross of Iron, which was about the Eastern Front. Also, I highly recommend Come and See, also regarding the Eastern Front. 

I was going to say cross of iron. To me it wasn’t historical in nature, just a lot of action. Peckinpaugh was known for lots of carnage and blowing things up.  The wild bunch is a good one for that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

I was going to say cross of iron. To me it wasn’t historical in nature, just a lot of action. Peckinpaugh was known for lots of carnage and blowing things up.  The wild bunch is a good one for that.

Yep...he used to shoot mirrors in his house, too. Unhinged, and yes the Wild Bunch was an awesome western. Love the kids messing with the scorpions scene. Also Straw Dogs was another of his great films. Tame by today's standards though.

• Upvote 1

Great choices! My faves are: 

Full-Metal-Jacket-icon.pnghttp://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2024_01/image.jpeg.253953576a5088b79ba186206b0525d0.jpeg  http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2024_01/image.jpeg.96c8833ddba5d4d6fd87226f1fd51b31.jpeg

http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2024_01/image.jpeg.19af684c2d9c81e2626f3b3118cce828.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdFwHkb6X79HZftQYOFgrgKha6LFyC3cuywJfimuALCPujiEbElkzR2_q6B_LbVUk09ag&usqp=CAU
Dunno if you're familiar with Come and See, but it was made by a Soviet director and it's about the Nazi occupation of Belarus. Very underrated film. Okay, I've rambled enough 

Finally a great movie and awesome cast. 
MV5BNWRjZmZmYmItYzczOS00NjY4LTk3ODItNGU3ZDQ2ZGJkYmZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg
All great choices ... Bridge Too Far was always a bomb with an exceptional cast .. but it's popularity has grown over the years and for that I am very happy.

Big Red One - 'The Reconstruction' makes that film much more adult and in many ways different and better.

We Were Soldiers
Fury
The Thin Red Line
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes

All good ones.

So many good films in that Genre.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

All great choices ... Bridge Too Far was always a bomb with an exceptional cast .. but it's popularity has grown over the years and for that I am very happy.

Big Red One - 'The Reconstruction' makes that film much more adult and in many ways different and better.

We Were Soldiers
Fury
The Thin Red Line
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes

All good ones.

So many good films in that Genre.

All good choices too.  Who can forget about Sutherland odd ball character.  Another war comedy that’s pretty good is what did you do in the war, daddy. With dick Shawn, James coburn, and even Carrol O’Conner.  And Sinatra was in a few good ones like von Ryan’s express and from here to eternity.  One that I thought just missed was operation crossbow with George peppard.  Sort of semi historical but some good aspects of the war.

• Upvote 3

Not a war movie but takes place during WWII, in a British disciplinary camp. Sean Connery was great. For some reason I remember it as The Glass House.
http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2024_04/Hill_movieposter.jpg.4d219c74becce6df229f7804176d9737.jpg
Nice one .. whole nother genre..

Bridge On the River Kawaii
Stalag 17
And the very under rated ... The Camp on Blood Island.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Nice one .. whole nother genre..

Bridge On the River Kawaii
Stalag 17
And the very under rated ... The Camp on Blood Island.

Bridge on the river kwai is great!  Col Nicholson and his demeanor and being all about the principle of the thing.  Stalag 17 is great as well.  Both movies starred William Holden.  Since we’re talking about the far east, king rat isn’t bad.  Interesting that the book was written by James clavell of the shogun/ tai pan books fame.  He was also in changing prison during the war so knows all about king rat.

• Upvote 2

On 2/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm convinced that nobody actually likes Wes Anderson movies (Because they all suck), but certain people pretend to like them because they think it makes them seem artsy or intelligent. 

Grand Budapest?

17 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Not a war movie but takes place during WWII, in a British disciplinary camp. Sean Connery was great. For some reason I remember it as The Glass House.

Hill_movieposter.jpg

Also not exactly a war movie but also with Connery, The Man Who Would Be King.

• Upvote 2

On 4/6/2024 at 5:46 PM, rangerous said:

I don’t necessarily mind the woke aspect of the recent Marvell and Star Wars movies but the stories are all pretty much rehashes and the characters illogical.  Just how many times do these Jedi’s keep falling or relying on ground transport when they’ve been shown to be able to fly.

There is a fine line between inclusion and pandering.  Disney is a few thousand miles into the panderverse.

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

I think they forgot who their target audience is.  Those horrible Housewives shows know who their target audience is and lean into it.  Disney fails to grasp that simple concept.  Plus, they provided content like a fire hose, when they needed a faucet.  

• Upvote 3

The Creator was not the movie I’d hoped for. Standard sci-fi tropes without any new angles. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some “skin jobs” stories - this was just severely lacking something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

There is a fine line between inclusion and pandering.  Disney is a few thousand miles into the panderverse.

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

I think they forgot who their target audience is.  Those horrible Housewives shows know who their target audience is and lean into it.  Disney fails to grasp that simple concept.  Plus, they provided content like a fire hose, when they needed a faucet.  

Eh, Disney is trying to expand their audience, which is exactly why the existing audience is uppity about it. They are no longer being pandered to. 

The real issue with Disney is your second point, too much, too fast, and poor quality. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I cannot believe this thread hadn’t become the official Ricky Stanicky thread.

I have seen that but have not tried it yet.

I did go down the Kentucky Fried Movie of my youth hole last week.  I see the 12yo me was a step or two above a chimpanzee.  🤣

Eh, Disney is trying to expand their audience, which is exactly why the existing audience is uppity about it. They are no longer being pandered to. 

The real issue with Disney is your second point, too much, too fast, and poor quality. 

No doubt.  

It is not that Star Wars and Marvel comic readers are uppity about expanding their respective universes.  It is not like they universes only recently became inclusive.  It is they are doing it at the expense of the core characters of their respective universes.   

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes. Making Star Wars content that appeals to fans of Star Wars would be stupid... lol

They managed to lose 2 generations of fans in our house, and I doubt we're a rarity... But don't worry, Harvey Weinsteins assistant made a new SW show that should appeal to absolutely nobody, so rock on. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I have seen that but have not tried it yet.

I did go down the Kentucky Fried Movie of my youth hole last week.  I see the 12yo me was a step or two above a chimpanzee.  🤣

No doubt.  

It is not that Star Wars and Marvel comic readers are uppity about expanding their respective universes.  It is not like they universes only recently became inclusive.  It is they are doing it at the expense of the core characters of their respective universes.   

I’m a pure Gen X geek and about as big a fan of SW and Marvel as you’ll find. Honestly, there’s not enough time in our lives to be triggered by people’s choices in the art they make. I simply don’t care. 

Wolverine isn’t a tall dude who sing show tunes in my world, but that’s the Wolverine most people love. Let them.

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. Making Star Wars content that appeals to fans of Star Wars would be stupid... lol

They managed to lose 2 generations of fans in our house, and I doubt we're a rarity... But don't worry, Harvey Weinsteins assistant made a new SW show that should appeal to absolutely nobody, so rock on. 

They don’t care about losing 50-year-old fans they care about gaining 18-year-old fans, there’s bound to be more of them.

That’s how corporations work my friend.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m a pure Gen X geek and about as big a fan of SW and Marvel as you’ll find. Honestly, there’s not enough time in our lives to be triggered by people’s choices in the art they make. I simply don’t care. 

Wolverine isn’t a tall dude who sing show tunes in my world, but that’s the Wolverine most people love. Let them.

Which Marvel movie had Wolverine doing show tunes?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They don’t care about losing 50-year-old fans they care about gaining 18-year-old fans, there’s bound to be more of them.

That’s how corporations work my friend.

There aren't 18 year Olds ready to become new SW fans. Because most of them grew up with the old stuff. My 15 year old (the supposed modern audience) dislikes all of Disney SW aside from Andor and Rogue One. And my 12 year old says "SW is for dorks". 😆 

But I'm sure new female centric SW shows by a Pakistani Feminist documentarian and Leslie Hedlund will be sure to win them back... lol. I'm already checked out for a few years now. Too bad for Disney, because I'm the one with the $$ in the household. 

Good plan. Thank God for Dune... and I hope the new Alien movie is worth a sh*t, the trailer looks awesome.

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

There aren't 18 year Olds ready to become new SW fans. Because most of them grew up with the old stuff. My 15 year old (the supposed modern audience) dislikes all of Disney SW aside from Andor and Rogue One. And my 12 year old says "SW is for dorks". 😆 

But I'm sure new female centric SW shows by a Pakistani Feminist documentarian and Leslie Hedlund will be sure to win them back... lol. I'm already checked out for a few years now. Too bad for Disney, because I'm the one with the $$ in the household. 

Good plan. Thank God for Dune... and I hope the new Alien movie is worth a sh*t, the trailer looks awesome.

I’m not saying they’re executing well, I’m simply saying this is there strategy. You and are and returning customers. They’re going for new ones. I’m not defending the content though, it’s pitiful.

Ive spent my career watching good strategy get undermined by bad tactics and execution. It’s par for the course in corporations.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m not saying they’re executing well, I’m simply saying this is there strategy. You and are and returning customers. They’re going for new ones. I’m not defending the content though, it’s pitiful.

Ive spent my career watching good strategy get undermined by bad tactics and execution. It’s par for the course in corporations.

"Culture eats strategy for breakfast"....

They are not trying to "make art."  I think that might be the primary issue.