Movies We've Seen Thread

On 2/12/2024 at 3:01 PM, JetPotato said:

I am inclined to call The Marvels the worst thing ever produced in the history of cinema.

Worst thing SO FAR... Madam Web is being compared to Chernobyl. Not the HBO Mini-series.... The actual Nuclear Disaster of 1986.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/12/2024 at 1:57 PM, PFSIKH said:

I have not seen it yet, but I have booked my tickets.

Timothee Chalamet Dune GIF by Regal

Dune 2021 is in our AMC MAX Dolby Theater here in town, apparently they're doing a limited re-release. Taking my 15 year old to see it at 7 pm tonight and wearing my "Muad'dib 2020; The Spice MUST flow" shirt because I am a weirdo. 

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Dune 2021 is in our AMC MAX Dolby Theater here in town, apparently they're doing a limited re-release. Taking my 15 year old to see it at 7 pm tonight and wearing my "Muad'dib 2020; The Spice MUST flow" shirt because I am a weirdo. 

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!

Nice.

I went on our local theater site to just see if the movie was still coming out and saw I could get tickets.

• Upvote 1

Just came back from Bob Marley, One Love.  Found it disappointing.  Music was great, but I did not think the movie gave us enough of a glimpse into Marley's life or the political situation in Jamaica that he was thrust into.  Great acting and the concert scenes and recording sessions were enough to keep me entertained, but I was expecting a lot more.

My mom went with me and my daughter to see it. Today would have been her 67th anniversary, so I did not want her to be alone.  Mom loved it, which shocked me.  She was in tears at the end -- his music and his message of peace brought her to tears.  Yes, mom cries easily and today is an emotional day for her, but her reaction made it worth seeing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

On 10/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Dune?

Anyone yet?

On 10/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, munchmemory said:

Just waiting for the stream on HBO Max.   This weekend, for sure.

I know Lynch disowned the original flick.  But I did not hate it.   I'm actually psyched to see what Villeneuve does with the story.  Plus, I like Chalamet and Zendaya.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, Untouchable said:

Was solid 

But they’re clearly going for a sequel or even trilogy. And my problem with that is, who’s to say they ever even get made?

Villeneuve’s Blade Runner sequel was solid, but it absolutely tanked at the box office.

We’ll see I guess. As just stand alone movies, I still prefer David Lynch’s version. I know a lot of people who have read the books hate that movie, but I’ve always loved it.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:44 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Re: Dune

Going to be a huge difference in reactions between people that watch it at home vs those who go to a legit theater setting. Find the biggest and loudest theater possible for it, really. Can't stress enough how much of a stunner the entire thing is visually and in Dolby. 

I've read that damn book eighty billion times, and the whole time it felt like I was watching the book. Villaneuve is really something.

GO SEE DUNE II in THEATRES!!!

Or, you'll be stuck with Dreck Sci fi for the rest of our lives!!

Its Time Adventure GIF by Dune Movie

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’d put Dune 2 up with Blade Runner or 2001 or anything ever made in the genre. Bizarre and ultra violent, I’m legit shocked Hollywood didn’t try to interfere with a movie of that scale at all. 

Villneuve, Nolan. and Tom Cruise are the only people left in the industry that can say "Go f yourself, I'm making what I want" now that Spielberg and Lucas are checked out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’d put Dune 2 up with Blade Runner or 2001 or anything ever made in the genre. Bizarre and ultra violent, I’m legit shocked Hollywood didn’t try to interfere with a movie of that scale at all. 

Ultra violent?  Okay, okay.  I guess I will see it. 

So we watched THE SOUND OF METAL (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5363618/) last night on Amazon Prime. It was nominated for 6 Academy Awards and won 2. It was a good movie, real good about a heavy metal drummer touring the country with his gf the lead singer. He then suddenly loses his hearing. It stars Riz Ahmed who got a lot of acclaim for his performance as the drummer he was nominated as Best Actor but didn't win. The character is a former addict who gets into the relationship with the singer both kind of lost souls who found each other and helped each other out. In one scene they both said the other had saved their life. Intense relationships sometimes have this kind of drama and love and it was nice. He has to find himself after losing his hearing and probably his livelihood as a musician and finds himself in a program for deaf people and after a rough start he acclimates and is a positive add to the community. He is a very likeable character.  They want him to stay on but he still has a wish to beat deafness. It's well worth the watch. 

So we watched THE SOUND OF METAL (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5363618/) last night on Amazon Prime. It was nominated for 6 Academy Awards and won 2. It was a good movie, real good about a heavy metal drummer touring the country with his gf the lead singer. He then suddenly loses his hearing. It stars Riz Ahmed who got a lot of acclaim for his performance as the drummer he was nominated as Best Actor but didn't win. The character is a former addict who gets into the relationship with the singer both kind of lost souls who found each other and helped each other out. In one scene they both said the other had saved their life. Intense relationships sometimes have this kind of drama and love and it was nice. He has to find himself after losing his hearing and probably his livelihood as a musician and finds himself in a program for deaf people and after a rough start he acclimates and is a positive add to the community. He is a very likeable character.  They want him to stay on but he still has a wish to beat deafness. It's well worth the watch. 
Is it as good as The Rocker?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031969/?ref_=ext_shr

I never knew Dwight Schrute could bang like that!

On 2/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm convinced that nobody actually likes Wes Anderson movies (Because they all suck), but certain people pretend to like them because they think it makes them seem artsy or intelligent. 

Rushmore was ok and I tried to like the Jacques Cousteau one, but yeah they suck. 

• Upvote 1

Sound of Metal was nominated for Best Screenplay. What I liked about the movie was the acting and compassion of the characters in the story. Plus the authenticity in terms of details of the deaf community like teaching sign language social skills dealing with deafness etc. But I didn't think it was a great script it was a good script. I thought the movie was sometimes slow some of the scenes just ok. There were exceptions like his friendship with a deaf gay woman it was a good scene touching. 

On 2/29/2024 at 5:15 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I concur.

Excellent movie.  Outside of knowing of, I am not familiar with the source material.  I hope Villenueve agrees to direct Dune III once it is green lit.  

From Sicario, Arrival through the two Dunes, he creates a beautiful movie.  

On 3/4/2024 at 3:41 PM, PFSIKH said:

I concur.

Excellent movie.  Outside of knowing of, I am not familiar with the source material.  I hope Villenueve agrees to direct Dune III once it is green lit.  

From Sicario, Arrival through the two Dunes, he creates a beautiful movie.  

I saw on YT that he is close to finishing his script for Messiah.

• Upvote 1

Late Night with the Devil is such a great ******* time. So well done.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this era of horror is maybe the best ever of the genre. One classic after another has been churned out over the last 10 or so years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I watched Part 1 yesterday on Max and I thought it was really good. Today I'm going to an 11:00 at a really nice theater to see Part 2. I read the books a long time ago and so far the first movie did a pretty good job. Obviously it's light on a lot of backround material but that's usually the case with movies adapted from books as deep as Dune.

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2024 at 9:41 AM, bicketybam said:

I watched Part 1 yesterday on Max and I thought it was really good. Today I'm going to an 11:00 at a really nice theater to see Part 2. I read the books a long time ago and so far the first movie did a pretty good job. Obviously it's light on a lot of backround material but that's usually the case with movies adapted from books as deep as Dune.

Well I saw Dune Part 2 yesterday and I thought it was very good. That said, I have two major gripes. First the overall look of the movie really bothered me. I read that the director was going for a realistic look of what a desert planet would look like but to me the colors were too muted and the whole film looked "soft." I noticed it when I watched part 1 on my home TV (72" LG OLED 4k) but I figured it was just the compression from the stream. But nope. It's the look the guy was going for. I also don't understand why he chose to make Giedi Prime black and white. Those scenes just hurt my eyes.

The other thing that bothered me was the lack of blood for a supposedly violent film. I'm sure it has to do with maintaining a PG-13 rating but no one bled in this movie! People were getting stabbed left and right and there wasn't a drop of blood. Terrible.

On the plus side, the story was excellent but I knew that going in. The book was an incredible story and other than a few minor details they followed it very closely. So props to the director for not ******* up a classic.

I thought the acting was fantastic and I particularly liked Javier Bardem. That guy is a phenomenal actor.

I'm a big movie fan and own over 300 movies. I won't be adding these to my collection simply because of the way they look. Both movies were very good but I'd pump the brakes on best sci-fi movie of all time. Both are worth seeing and I bet many won't mind the muted color palette the director chose to use, but it was a total put off for me.

7.5/10

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Road House remake, much like the original, is so ******* stupid and horribly done. And, much like the original, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

haven't seen it yet but yeah to the original. It's one of those that whenever (back in the day) "flipping around the stations" if that movie was on, it would stay on. Much to Mrs Cat's dismay.  SHe couldn't tolerate the shear stupidity of virtually the entire movie.  The Jeff Healey scenes alone are worth it and those were well done IMHO.  Who does that role in the remake? RIP Jeff.  and of course Patrick Swayze and Ben Gazara too. 

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Well I saw Dune Part 2 yesterday and I thought it was very good. That said, I have two major gripes. First the overall look of the movie really bothered me. I read that the director was going for a realistic look of what a desert planet would look like but to me the colors were too muted and the whole film looked "soft." I noticed it when I watched part 1 on my home TV (72" LG OLED 4k) but I figured it was just the compression from the stream. But nope. It's the look the guy was going for. I also don't understand why he chose to make Giedi Prime black and white. Those scenes just hurt my eyes.

The other thing that bothered me was the lack of blood for a supposedly violent film. I'm sure it has to do with maintaining a PG-13 rating but no one bled in this movie! People were getting stabbed left and right and there wasn't a drop of blood. Terrible.

On the plus side, the story was excellent but I knew that going in. The book was an incredible story and other than a few minor details they followed it very closely. So props to the director for not ******* up a classic.

I thought the acting was fantastic and I particularly liked Javier Bardem. That guy is a phenomenal actor.

I'm a big movie fan and own over 300 movies. I won't be adding these to my collection simply because of the way they look. Both movies were very good but I'd pump the brakes on best sci-fi movie of all time. Both are worth seeing and I bet many won't mind the muted color palette the director chose to use, but it was a total put off for me.

7.5/10

The "black and white" Giedi Prime exterior scenes were filmed in Infra-red to account for the "black" sun, which casts light in a different spectrum than most stars proximate to habitable worlds. It's supposed to be off-putting and disorienting... just like the Harkonnens. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The "black and white" Giedi Prime exterior scenes were filmed in Infra-red to account for the "black" sun, which casts light in a different spectrum than most stars proximate to habitable worlds. It's supposed to be off-putting and disorienting... just like the Harkonnens. 

Yes, that was the director's vision. I just didn't care for it.

21 hours ago, Dcat said:

haven't seen it yet but yeah to the original. It's one of those that whenever (back in the day) "flipping around the stations" if that movie was on, it would stay on. Much to Mrs Cat's dismay.  SHe couldn't tolerate the shear stupidity of virtually the entire movie.  The Jeff Healey scenes alone are worth it and those were well done IMHO.  Who does that role in the remake? RIP Jeff.  and of course Patrick Swayze and Ben Gazara too. 

hqdefault.jpg

It was good.

I would not call it a remake.

The framework is the same, but the plot if different enough.

Again, it is good.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Homer Simpson Nerd GIF

• Haha 1