Movies We've Seen Thread

I was watching a movie last night about an Italian American 3rd string NFL QB, who gets forced into action due to injuries.  His first game is very rough but, over the next few weeks, he (predictably) starts to play better and the team starts winning.  As he starts gaining popularity, they give him the nickname "Tommy Cutlets".  The other main characters are his father (who is also a traditional Italian man) and his agent (an Italian guy who dresses like Rocky).

The highlight of the film is a MNF game where Tommy Cutlets leads the team to a terrific comeback victory.  The father gives the agent kisses on the cheek, and the agent returns the favor.  All 3 of them also make a traditional Italian hand gesture after touchdowns. 

It's a highly unrealistic but enjoyable movie.  Basically, it's "My Cousin Vinny" if it were set in the NFL.

The wife and I got around to watching Everything Everywhere All At Once this past weekend.

I did not love it like apparently a majority of the world and ratings.  If Spinal Tap went to 11, this movie was at 15.  Probably should have been a 7.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

So we watched Barbie tonight. I really didn't know much about this movie. It kind of surprised me. Behind the glitter and jokes it's a serious movie about feminism male female roles in society etc. It was pretty deep and worth another look. I'd only heard good things about it but to me it was short on entertainment value and humor. Not as funny as I'd thought it would be. 

"Killers of the Flower Moon"; enjoyed it. A horrific true story of greed and murder. Lilly Gladstone is having her Oscar engraved as I type this. Think DeNiro could do this kind of quality villain until he gets taken out in a box, but expect he'll make more worthless dreck to pay his ex-wife instead. 
Would say as with "Oppenheimer" streaming is a much better experience for a long movie. Hard for an adult to leave the comfort of your couch and big ass HDTV and the pause button. Been to the "dinner theater" several times and it's fun to a point.  But to go to a "general population" megaplex theater, not sure how they'll stay in business. 
Saw Opp.. in the theatre and was so happy I did. It was long .. but never boring.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'm a lifelong Chris Rock fan and thought I was going to be bummed that Headliners Only wouldn't have a ton of standup in it, but I really enjoyed it. His life story has always been fascinating to me and they contextualized it well within the context of the last couple years of his life, even though there's nothing we didn't already know about either guy. It's actually a testament to the company that Kevin Hart has put together because it's a really well done production.

• Upvote 2

Great flicks and soundtracks for both films.
51USEb2Ou7L._AC_.jpg
dead_presidents_1995_original_film_art_252d0936-841e-4adc-be0e-3ae17095452d.webp?v=1678820248
Tru story .. I flew to LA for a job interview.. had to kill a few hours before ... Decided to catch a film ... No idea what Jackie Brown would be like ... Decided why not I love QTs writing. As I am watching it ... I realize during the mall parking lot scene that I'm watching the movie in that mall .. the Del Amo ... Then I realized the company I am interviewing at was located in Torrance ... A sh*t hole ... But also a location in that film.

So surreal.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Saw "The Holdovers" . Giamatti with the usual solid job as a prep school teacher stuck watching over a bunch of kids with no place to go over 1970s Christmas break. Bit of a twist that changes the dynamic about a quarter into the movie. Monique does a great job as the school cook who has lost a son in the Vietnam War. Not bad at all. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:42 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was watching a movie last night about an Italian American 3rd string NFL QB, who gets forced into action due to injuries.  His first game is very rough but, over the next few weeks, he (predictably) starts to play better and the team starts winning.  As he starts gaining popularity, they give him the nickname "Tommy Cutlets".  The other main characters are his father (who is also a traditional Italian man) and his agent (an Italian guy who dresses like Rocky).

The highlight of the film is a MNF game where Tommy Cutlets leads the team to a terrific comeback victory.  The father gives the agent kisses on the cheek, and the agent returns the favor.  All 3 of them also make a traditional Italian hand gesture after touchdowns. 

It's a highly unrealistic but enjoyable movie.  Basically, it's "My Cousin Vinny" if it were set in the NFL.

IMG_3427.jpeg

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dunnie said:

How is this movie better every time I watch it.94006dec3a58180f13e905cc46ebdefe.jpg

By far the two best times I have ever had in a theater are Tarantino films where he puts on the entire show, and the funny part about it is that both times aren't nearly his best films. Grindhouse in the theater was absolutely incredible, with the trailers in between and intermissions and he had hosts come in. I was shocked the first time I saw Death Proof on its own on TV, just a totally different movie when it has to stand on its own.

And we saw the roadshow version of Hateful Eight, he had brochures, hosts, and intermissions. Really the whole nine and just a blast of a night.

I'm going to miss Tarantino. There are not many other directors left that have the clout to prioritize getting people to the theater in unique ways.

• Upvote 2

On 12/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, PFSIKH said:

The wife and I got around to watching Everything Everywhere All At Once this past weekend.

I did not love it like apparently a majority of the world and ratings.  If Spinal Tap went to 11, this movie was at 15.  Probably should have been a 7.

Biggest waste of time I can remember watching in a long time.  Legit. The ending got a “are you ******* kidding me”.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

As a Xmas movie compromise I let my wife put on The Family Man because it's Nicolas Cage. My favorite part about that movie is that it starts out in a flashback to Nicolas Cage graduating college and they don't even try to make him look younger. It's just 40-year-old Nicolas Cage in a sweater and I gotta say he somehow pulls off the college vibe pretty well.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Strong chance The Creator develops a cult following as the years go on. I liked it a lot, it's slick, attempts to tell an original story that feels awfully relevant, deals with the hard issues of war, and is absolutely stunning. I'm not surprised it flew under the radar because all smart sci-fi movies tend to do that nowadays, but people will catch onto it streaming in the years to come. Just watch.

Gareth Edwards is on an underrated run of movies.

I watched Netflix's "The Killer" with Magneto or Michael Fassenbender.

It is similar, not in plot, to Tom Hanks' Cast Away.  Fassenbender does 90% of the dialogue.

It is a slow burn actionish movie.  If you are not a fan of these things you might not enjoy.

I did enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

I watched Netflix's "The Killer" with Magneto or Michael Fassenbender.
It is similar, not in plot, to Tom Hanks' Cast Away.  Fassenbender does 90% of the dialogue.
It is a slow burn actionish movie.  If you are not a fan of these things you might not enjoy.
I did enjoy it.
Is it similar to Collateral?

23 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Is it similar to Collateral?

No.  

The first act is solely him kind of introspectively talking about being an assassin.  Then proceeds from there.

• Sympathy 1

I feel ridiculous saying this, but Equalizer 3 was simple, to the point, and very well done. I can't believe I enjoyed it as much as I did. 

Now that I think about it, whenever the first Equalizer is on I usually leave it playing. What an oddly successful franchise.

• Upvote 4

Over the Holidays got wrangled into watching TV with the In-Laws.  They decided to watch this when it came on TV, a film in and of my wheelhouse era of the 80's, with an actor I like alot, and yet that I had never heard of nor seen before.

OIP.k7nX4WKfnofz2SdMxzEuXAHaLH?rs=1&pid=

It was, in a word, an absolute train wreck of a film.  Unable to decide if it was a rom com, a Porkies-alike sexcapade, or a wacky business comedy-drama, it just went ahead and badly mixed aspects of all of them and then some.  Bonus points for having the gal who played the Cleveland Indians owner in "Major League" in it as a wildly miscast sexpot/seductress.  

That was a couple hours of my life I really would have liked back.  

• Haha 2

Just watched it with Mrs Cat. Both Cage fans.  Like most other Cage movies I need about a day to digest the weirdness.  Mrs Cat not loving it.  Me leaning the other way.  If you are the slightest into NC movies, then it is a must see.  

image.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

• Upvote 2

Watched Past Lives two nights ago and was completely blown away. It’s a rumination on love and fate, etc. Feels like a really smart stage play put to screen, and there are full hunks of dialogue that will straight up kill you. 

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Watched Past Lives two nights ago and was completely blown away. It’s a rumination on love and fate, etc. Feels like a really smart stage play put to screen, and there are full hunks of dialogue that will straight up kill you. 

Anything by A24 I'm in at this point.

• Upvote 1