Movies We've Seen Thread

Talk To Me (2023) 

Fun little horror entry. Loved the cinematography, practical effects, atmosphere, sound design, and acting. It has been called the scariest movie of the year but that’s only if you are just discovering that possession and mediums actually exist. I think it’s only really scary if you subscribe to the notion that stuff that you are seeing on screen could happen to you. Then yes, it’s scary. Especially the significance of the ending. That’s scary. But mostly in a psychological way. If you like horror and suspense, and if you at some point had all your friends do stuff like go in a dark bathroom and say “Bloody Mary” three times in front of the mirror and then open your eyes, If you have done stuff like that, then you should probably watch this for sure. I don’t even have to tell the horror peeps to watch this, as they already know they have to watch it. 
Final verdict…4/5…cause I can see myself wanting to watch it 2-3 more times. 

• Upvote 2

I told my wife I am going to stop choosing movies.

On Saturday, a 20% chance of rain turned into a 4-5 hour downpour.  Anywho, we were looking for a movie to watch.  Saw "The Ritual Killer" on one of the streaming services.  It had Morgan Freeman and Cole Hauser in it.  Gave it a shot.  It is a 90 minute movie that could have used another 10-20 minutes to develop some of the plotlines.  It was as if they picked plotlines out of hat and had to tie them together.  Even with that, it was an okay movie until the end.  The end was non-sensical.  The underlying plot ended.  How it got there was weird.

• Upvote 2

My wife put on the Girl in the Window last night.  What a mess.  Good cast - Oldman, Julianne Moore, Amy Adams, Apparently test audiences found it confusing, so they redid it and then it got delayed again by COVID and "released on netflix to scathing reviews."  I know it was a book, but it seemed like they were trying to adapt a play to film.  Most of the action in one room - often when it obviously shouldn't be and some of the set choices?  The car?  Yikes.  If this description sounds muddled, then it is accurately conveying my feelings on this thing. Did anybody else watch it?  If not, I guess I would say don't.  

On 8/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, chirorob said:

I watched The Flash last night (free on HBO).

That may have been the worst movie I've ever seen.  The CGI was awful, Ezra Miller was awful.  How did that guy get famous off acting even before he became a predator cult leader?

Just all around terrible.

Absolute abomination that they decided to use Michael Keaton's return as Batman for that popcorn commercial.

They should have just done a gothic and grounded twist on The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller with Keaton as a one off...but no....this garbage instead.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Just watched these two for the first time in a long time. Asthma knocked me on my ass this weekend.

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle Movie Poster 1973 1 Sheet (27x41)

Amazon.com: The Seven-Ups [DVD] : Roy Scheider, Tony Lo Bianco, Victor  Arnold, Jerry Leon, Ken Kercheval, Larry Haines, Richard Lynch, Bill  Hickman, Lou Polan, Matt Russo, Joe Spinell, Robert Burr, Philip D'Antoni,

I like almost any movie with Roy Scheider. And Seven-Ups has an outstanding and brilliant chase scene. Ive never seen the Friends of Eddie Coyle. Color by Technicolor and Music by Dave Grusin.  I'm in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I like almost any movie with Roy Scheider. And Seven-Ups has an outstanding and brilliant chase scene. Ive never seen the Friends of Eddie Coyle. Color by Technicolor and Music by Dave Grusin.  I'm in. 

The car chase in "The Seven Ups" was as intense as "Bullitt" or the "French Connection".

Robert Mitchum is great in "Friends of Eddie Coyle". Peter Boyle is as well, most only remember him on "Everybody Loves Raymond", but the guy had some great parts. Somehow I get the impression that some dolt in hollywood will get the bright idea to "reboot" it like they did "Death Wish".

Quick update on some horror and horror-adjacent movies I’ve seen on streaming the past two weeks. 

1. Deliver Us From Evil—this is an older one that popped up in my suggesteds and it is easily among the top five worst movies I’ve ever seen. Usually I’ll bounce on a movie if it’s boring or poorly done, but when a movie is this bad you just kinda have to stick around to see how bad it gets. And it gets so bad. Summary: Eric Bana and Olivia Munn hilariously try to effect a Bronx(?) accent in a movie where Bana plays a hard-boiled detective on the trail of an Iraq vet who is possessed by a demon and is possessing other people (I think). It co-stars a comically swole Joel McHale, who always sucks, and Edgar Ramirez as a hot, smoldering priest who advises a skeptical Bana on dealing with the supernatural. Much homoerotic commences, and reams of stomach-turning dialogue gets foisted upon the viewer. Truly horrendous from tip to tail, but might have been better as a video game. 

2. Slotherhouse: This looked like it would be stupid fun, but right away you discover that it’s geared for teen girls and I turned it off before the FBI kicked in my door. 

3. No One Will Save You: Everyone should watch this because it’s such good storytelling without using words. The lead actress should win some awards. It’s not particularly scary and the story isn’t overly compelling, but it’s a treat because of how ambitious it is, how well it’s done, and how good the actress is. 

4. Bargain: this is an Asian television? series, and I’m halfway through, but it’s good, unhinged fun so far. A man shows up at a hotel to meet a very young prostitute, but it turns out to be an organ-harvesting ring which uses the ostensible prostitutes for bait. Things go straight off the rails. The story is told in a series of little dialogue-heavy set pieces. Try not to watch the dubbed version because the voice acting is terrible. Use the closed captioning instead. 

• Upvote 1

Old Dads was pretty good it’s been awhile since a movie legitimately made me laugh. I’m not really a Bill Burr fan but I think this movie came at the right time with the right jokes. If you’re familiar with Bill you can basically judge for yourself whether you’d enjoy the movie or not. If not then just watch a trailer and imagine that’s the entire movie.

• Upvote 1

Talk To Me was great, I think someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread as well. Not super scary but scary enough. What made it great IMO was the acting actually wasn't bad (rare in this genre imo), the effects were disturbingly well done, and the story was actually interesting. Most of the time I watch a horror film I kind of root for the ghost or monster or bad guy or whatever because the story is abysmally boring and the actors usually aren't much better but in this film I for one was at least interested in the underlying story and characters and I think it had a perfect ending which even good horror movies have trouble with. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leo was….ok. I laughed a few times. The musical scenes started to get a little annoying. If you want to watch a movie and you’re struggling to find anything and you don’t mind a family friendly cartoon where Adam Sandler plays an elderly lizard that talks to troubled kids, then Leo might be the movie for you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Watched The Killer last night and thought it was meh. Felt like the whole movie was a setup to the excellent set piece where Tilda Swinton drinks whiskey with the grim reaper. Outside of that scene, however, it was a slog.

Without giving away the ending...that's it? 

"Oppenheimer"; Enjoyed it to a point. But Nolan plays a fast and loose with history here. Manhattan Project was in fact infiltrated by Soviet spies, and it led to them getting The Bomb way before they ever would have.  The Venona papers, released after the fall of the Soviet Union, confirmed 349 Soviet different spies were working in the US government and the MP ;  some were identified, but  some were never identified. Either Oppenheimer was way too lax with security, or he or his wife may have been spies, either out of naivete, omission, or commission.

If you're gonna bring up Nazi Germany invading Poland from the west, you cannot omit Soviet Russia doing so from the east on the same day, nor how Stalin and Hitler had a nonaggression pact for some time before that. Nor discount the Soviet /Nazi proxy aspect of the Spanish Civil War; did he ever read Orwell?  This is going to be history for a lot of people who like black hat/white hat simple nonsense. Movie leaves you with the impression that the communists were great people who just wanted to share everything and have nice parties and sing alongs.

Crosses the line somewhere between Oppenheimer is a scientist speaking his mind to power to a man who doesn't grasp the forces he was messing with, or was somewhere between sympathetic to and a true believer in those forces. US made all kinds of deals with the devil to defeat Germany; like having Lucky Luciano released from prison to clear out the docks of Nazi spies and make the mafia ease American landings in Sicily. Life is way more complicated than good guys/bad guys; would think we might have learned that in, oh, the last 3 or 4 decades. Nolan doesn't care, he's got hero he wants to sell. Robert Downey Jr. is wasted as the villain; politicians play...politics; well, I never!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

Without giving away the ending...that's it? 

It’s the well-worn tale of a hitman coming to the end of his career and getting wistful about what it all meeeeans and, because he’s lost his edge, his last big mission goes awry and—surprise!—he becomes the target of his long-time employers. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s the well-worn tale of a hitman coming to the end of his career and getting wistful about what it all meeeeans and, because he’s lost his edge, his last big mission goes awry and—surprise!—he becomes the target of his long-time employers. 

Thought there was a chance at the very end, there would be a big twist. Features one of the most brutal fight scenes ever. 

• Upvote 1

I watched Copshop the other day.  Gerard Butler is a hit man (among others) hired to kill Frank Grillo.

It was okay.  I would give it three out of five stars if you do not think about how plausible any particular thing is.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Killers of the Flower Moon"; enjoyed it. A horrific true story of greed and murder. Lilly Gladstone is having her Oscar engraved as I type this. Think DeNiro could do this kind of quality villain until he gets taken out in a box, but expect he'll make more worthless dreck to pay his ex-wife instead. 

Would say as with "Oppenheimer" streaming is a much better experience for a long movie. Hard for an adult to leave the comfort of your couch and big ass HDTV and the pause button. Been to the "dinner theater" several times and it's fun to a point.  But to go to a "general population" megaplex theater, not sure how they'll stay in business. 

• Upvote 1

If you’re being pressured to watch a holiday movie with the girlfriend but you don’t want to gouge your eyes out, I would recommend “Violent Night” with David Harbour and John Leguizamo. Self-consciously derivative homage to both Bad Santa and Die Hard, but the bloodletting in the third act is so over the top that it’s hysterical. Leguizamo is a fun scenery-chewer as always.

We just watched THE COURIER a 2020 movie on Amazon Prime about an English businessman recruited to spy in Moscow in the lead up to the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. It is based on a true story. It's not the best spy movie I've seen but it's pretty solid. Good performances by actors I didn't know seemed accurate in portraying spycraft of that era kept your interest. Good movie. 

• Upvote 1