Movies We've Seen Thread

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Disney Plus lost 400 million last year, Disney movies overall lost about a billion last year.   The MCU is essentially done, and Star Wars is on life support at best.

I think next year will be slow for them again because of the strike and then they will have a huge 2025. Lion King, Snow White, Moana, Frozen 3...etc. Would probably be a smart move for me to start setting aside money for the 53,000 times I'll have to go see Frozen in the theater.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think they did a whole bunch of studies and the park attendance stuff was due to heatwaves and some extreme weather patterns combined with cost. Which makes way more sense. The Eternals sucking ass has no bearing on me taking my kids to Disney, but I sure as hell am not doing it in 105 degree Florida weather. They've also shot back up since end of last year so there's that. 

I think you're looking at this from strictly an adult standpoint too hard. So long as children exist, Disney will be fine. Hard to bet against them considering they're still churning out franchises like Frozen and Encanto.

Parents are the ones with money.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:24 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Meh. They made like half a billion dollars off of Grogu toys. Betting against the mouse is generally a dumb gamble. 

Check their stock prices the last few years. I bailed at around $165. It's well under $100 per now 

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think they did a whole bunch of studies and the park attendance stuff was due to heatwaves and some extreme weather patterns combined with cost. Which makes way more sense. The Eternals sucking ass has no bearing on me taking my kids to Disney, but I sure as hell am not doing it in 105 degree Florida weather. They've also shot back up since end of last year so there's that. 

I think you're looking at this from strictly an adult standpoint too hard. So long as children exist, Disney will be fine. Hard to bet against them considering they're still churning out franchises like Frozen and Encanto.

LOL. I've lived in Florida since the mid 70s. Newsflash..   it's always been hot in Florida, same sh*t now as when I was a kid.  

And almost every movie the Mouse had sh*t out the last 2 years (Not every, but MOST) has been a titanic bomb. Estimates put the full cost of that Indiana Jones travesty at around $500m. That ine by itself cost them hundreds of millions. Same with every Marvel discharge they puked up aside from a Sony Spiderman Collab and GOTG (FYI. We've skipped all of the above as a family). Took my kids to see that insane Mario Brothers movie a couple if times, though. Thank God theaters serve adult beverages now...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Check their stock prices the last few years. I bailed at around $165. It's well under $100 per now 

LOL. I've lived in Florida since the mid 70s. Newsflash..   it's always been hot in Florida, same sh*t now as when I was a kid.  

And almost every movie the Mouse had sh*t out the last 2 years (Not every, but MOST) has been a titanic bomb. Estimates put the full cost of that Indiana Jones travesty at around $500m. That ine by itself cost them hundreds of millions. Same with every Marvel discharge they puked up aside from a Sony Spiderman Collab and GOTG (FYI. We've skipped all of the above as a family). Took my kids to see that insane Mario Brothers movie a couple if times, though. Thank God theaters serve adult beverages now...

At gymnastics this morning I counted at least 682 water bottles with Star Wars, Marvel, and Frozen characters on them and approximately 38 parents threatening to not take their kid to go see Soul if they didn’t calm down. Disney will be fine. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

At gymnastics this morning I counted at least 682 water bottles with Star Wars, Marvel, and Frozen characters on them and approximately 38 parents threatening to not take their kid to go see Soul if they didn’t calm down. Disney will be fine. 

Soul came out 3 years ago, bro. It was a bomb, same with Onward, Elemental, Lightyear, and Wish. (And Indy 5, The Marvel's, Eternals, and on and on)

The re-release of Soul this weekend made a whopping $325,000.  Nationally.

This Is Fine GIF

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Soul came out 3 years ago, bro. It was a bomb, same with Onward, Elemental, Lightyear, and Wish. (And Indy 5, The Marvel's, Eternals, and on and on)

The re-release of Soul this weekend made a whopping $325,000.  Nationally.

This Is Fine GIF

They were all released during covid straight to streaming. Why are we arguing about this lol, who gives a flying **** about this

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They were all released during covid straight to streaming. Why are we arguing about this lol, who gives a flying **** about this

Because Disney is/was a massive entertainment company that holds the rights to some of the biggest IPs in pop culture entertainment and they are figuratively slitting their own throats publicly by being stubbornly against just reading the room. 

The latest "buzz" about yet another "Star Wars" movie has been almost universally laughter and derision at the announcement. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I couldn't wait to intro SW to my kids as a younger father .. my kids grew up watching the old stuff. When the 2015 movie came out. I knew it was meh, but the kids were entertained a bit.... When 8 came out, my then 9 year old basically checked out, "Why is Luke acting like this? I don't like it". My younger son no longer has any interest in the brand... even after I explained to them that what they like is up to them, not me. They were both like, nah, its just lame now. 

Great job, Kathy!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Because Disney is/was a massive entertainment company that holds the rights to some of the biggest IPs in pop culture entertainment and they are figuratively slitting their own throats publicly by being stubbornly against just reading the room. 

The latest "buzz" about yet another "Star Wars" movie has been almost universally laughter and derision at the announcement. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I couldn't wait to intro SW to my kids as a younger father .. my kids grew up watching the old stuff. When the 2015 movie came out. I knew it was meh, but the kids were entertained a bit.... When 8 came out, my then 9 year old basically checked out, "Why is Luke acting like this? I don't like it". My younger son no longer has any interest in the brand... even after I explained to them that what they like is up to them, not me. They were both like, nah, its just lame now. 

Great job, Kathy!

Thank you, parent of children that are of normal age. Please consider this a reminder that parents of toddlers exist and we will do whatever we have to do to get these little chodes to calm the **** down. I’ll pay Disney $5000 per episode for Bluey if they want. I’ll wear a god damn Ariel flipper fin around the house all day. I really don’t care at this point. Just stop the screaming for the love of god. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You’re probably right but the point is that’s not the trajectory they are on. They are losing money at a tremendous rate. Now one thing they could do is just….stop. Stop making movies and tv shows. Selling merch from legacy media will continue to fill their coffers without the huge cost of making new media. That’s just one example. Not a likely one but it’s a possibility. Or maybe the trajectory will change and all of a sudden their movies and shows are wildly popular and they start making lots of money for their huge investments again. I also don’t see that as likely but it’s just as possible I guess. No matter what changes something has to eventually because unless it doesn’t the company will go broke. Again, trajectories can change for many reasons, but the one they are on right now is not a sustainable one.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Some of their flops were released in theaters and while they blamed Covid other movies released at the same time show that wasn’t the case. Also we’re arguing because this is a forum on the internet and it’s what people do lol. Also it started over Star Wars which has…or maybe had a really dedicated fan base. Fan or not though Disney is a giant company and its success or failure and the reasons for either are interesting to talk about. I kind of agree the conversation has ran its course though we all know what each other thinks.

Unabashed Alexander Payne and Paul Giamatti junkie here so take this with a grain of salt, but I think The Holdovers might be the best Christmas movie ever and as good as anything Payne has ever done. DaVine Joy Randolph deserves every bit of praise she has gotten, she's superb.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, Mrs. Engine is at her Mom's for the weekend, so it's me and the boyos.. looks like it's WAR MOVIE WEEKEND!!

Starting with Tears of the Sun, then maybe We Were Soldiers, and if I feel ambitious, Sicario. 

Wanted to watch Gojira Minus Zero with them, but it's not available yet. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, Mrs. Engine is at her Mom's for the weekend, so it's me and the boyos.. looks like it's WAR MOVIE WEEKEND!!

Starting with Tears of the Sun, then maybe We Were Soldiers, and if I feel ambitious, Sicario. 

image.thumb.jpeg.af43c6cffc67e90cc87d441f0f8aa4e6.jpeg

the greatest war movie ever and a top 5 overall film for me

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Great choices! My faves are: 

Full Metal Jacket Icon | Movie Mega Pack 5 Iconpack | FirstLine1image.jpeg.253953576a5088b79ba186206b0525d0.jpeg  image.jpeg.96c8833ddba5d4d6fd87226f1fd51b31.jpeg

image.jpeg.19af684c2d9c81e2626f3b3118cce828.jpeg Come and See (1985) - IMDb

Dunno if you're familiar with Come and See, but it was made by a Soviet director and it's about the Nazi occupation of Belarus. Very underrated film. Okay, I've rambled enough 

Finally a great movie and awesome cast. 

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - IMDb

• Upvote 2

On 1/15/2024 at 9:58 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Unabashed Alexander Payne and Paul Giamatti junkie here so take this with a grain of salt, but I think The Holdovers might be the best Christmas movie ever and as good as anything Payne has ever done. DaVine Joy Randolph deserves every bit of praise she has gotten, she's superb.

The best Xmas movie is:

image.thumb.jpeg.029bcfaa34efbb4f70e814a85b9cf0fa.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Minus color and subtitles comes out today. Wtf!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Great choices! My faves are: 

Full Metal Jacket Icon | Movie Mega Pack 5 Iconpack | FirstLine1image.jpeg.253953576a5088b79ba186206b0525d0.jpeg  image.jpeg.96c8833ddba5d4d6fd87226f1fd51b31.jpeg

image.jpeg.19af684c2d9c81e2626f3b3118cce828.jpeg Come and See (1985) - IMDb

Dunno if you're familiar with Come and See, but it was made by a Soviet director and it's about the Nazi occupation of Belarus. Very underrated film. Okay, I've rambled enough 

Finally a great movie and awesome cast. 

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - IMDb

Ok got to watch a bridge to far

• Upvote 1

Switched it up last night... my 12 year old likes the War and History stuff but my 15 year old is a sci-fi fan. Watched Edge of Tomorrow and The Martian.

Kids loved them. Connor said The Martian is now his favorite movie "aside from the Original Star Wars movies", and Mark Whatney is his second favorite character behind Luke Skywalker.  

Oh, and we made Carne Asada Nachos for dinner. Been a fun weekend.

20240127_160328.thumb.jpg.b6eefcea1eb49fa3d1d014c419d422a0.jpg

• Upvote 1

@Jet_Engine1 The Eagle has Landed is another good old war movie.  

On the movies not to watch, I continued my misses streak this weekend with Braven.  A Jason Mamoa flick from 2018.  A logging guy has issues with drug dealers.  The plot is what it is.  The ending was a "really...a group of writers came up that BS".  Jason Mamoa was always going to come out on top, but how he did was nonsensical.

"The Eagle has Landed", or, 'Where Eagles Dare"??

We watched Where Eagles Dare with Burton and Eastwood last year, GREAT movie. I've seen it a million times, and watching it, it becomes obvious where every game dev of earlier WW2 FPS shooter games got their ideas. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2024 at 10:53 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Switched it up last night... my 12 year old likes the War and History stuff but my 15 year old is a sci-fi fan. Watched Edge of Tomorrow and The Martian.

Kids loved them. Connor said The Martian is now his favorite movie "aside from the Original Star Wars movies", and Mark Whatney is his second favorite character behind Luke Skywalker.  

Oh, and we made Carne Asada Nachos for dinner. Been a fun weekend.

20240127_160328.thumb.jpg.b6eefcea1eb49fa3d1d014c419d422a0.jpg

In a toaster?

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2024 at 5:37 PM, slowmoe57 said:

Watched Godzilla -1 in beautiful black and white.

loved it.

Took my daughter to see it today, wow.  We both were like that was great, and it had a plot that was character driven.  Highly recommend.  They had it on the big IMAX screen.  Great movie!!!

We watched Asteroid City tonight a movie I've wanted to see for a long time. I didn't know much about the story just knew it was about a desert town in the 50's had great pop art kind of visuals and had something to do with outer space and ufos. So I didn't understand what the movie was about before I saw it and still don't. It was weird and not in a good way.

• Upvote 2

I was bored the other day and wound up watching a movie with Chris Pine and Ben Foster called "The Contractor". Standard 'Former Green Beret gets discharged, works for a PMC and things get ugly" action flick, but did NOT go where I expected it to... the ending was "meh", but it was different enough to be interesting at least. 

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We watched Asteroid City tonight a movie I've wanted to see for a long time. I didn't know much about the story just knew it was about a desert town in the 50's had great pop art kind of visuals and had something to do with outer space and ufos. So I didn't understand what the movie was about before I saw it and still don't. It was weird and not in a good way.

I'm convinced that nobody actually likes Wes Anderson movies (Because they all suck), but certain people pretend to like them because they think it makes them seem artsy or intelligent. 

• Upvote 2

I'm convinced that nobody actually likes Wes Anderson movies (Because they all suck), but certain people pretend to like them because they think it makes them seem artsy or intelligent. 
The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore were good movies. Those two I liked.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't know if I've seen any of his movies I might have but have no opinion on him. But this movie sucks. And I had positive thoughts on it based on trailers I saw. The visuals were great though.