Movies We've Seen Thread

On 12/16/2023 at 5:57 AM, Dunnie said:

Tru story .. I flew to LA for a job interview.. had to kill a few hours before ... Decided to catch a film ... No idea what Jackie Brown would be like ... Decided why not I love QTs writing. As I am watching it ... I realize during the mall parking lot scene that I'm watching the movie in that mall .. the Del Amo ... Then I realized the company I am interviewing at was located in Torrance ... A sh*t hole ... But also a location in that film.

So surreal.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I'm a big Tarrantino fan.  I wouldn't say he "wrote" it.  More he adapted it from the Elmore Leonard novel Rum Punch.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My daughter has made me watch The Little Mermaid 83 times since Christmas and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a movie about a 16-year-old girl with an abusive father that gaslights a grown man. 

Look at these things, aren’t they neat?

On 1/7/2024 at 7:13 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

My daughter has made me watch The Little Mermaid 83 times since Christmas and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a movie about a 16-year-old girl with an abusive father that gaslights a grown man. 

Yeah, well I'm too busy looking forward to a new Star Wars movie about the most boring character in its 5 decade history,  directed by a documentarian that tells everyone she meets that she's a 4th wave Intersectional feminist activist! 

**** lightsabers and space battles, I DEMAND to be lectured about the Patriarchy.... IN SPAAAACE!!! 

😆 

Can't make this sh*t up.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:56 AM, Nolder said:

Look at these things, aren’t they neat?

Also how the **** did Flounder get Eric's statue into that cave? First off that thing was likely heavy as hell and there's no way some tiny little fish is getting that in there. Second, look at the door, look at the opening at the top that Ariel barely can fit through. Makes no sense.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, well I'm too busy looking forward to a new Star Wars movie about the most boring character in its 5 decade history,  directed by a documentarian that tells everyone she meets that she's a 4th wave Intersectional feminist activist! 

**** lightsabers and space battles, I DEMAND to be lectured about the Patriarchy.... IN SPAAAACE!!! 

😆

Can't make this sh*t up.

You do know you can just skip it, right?

I don't watch any of the various Star Wars cartoons, for example.

It's ok that things exist that don't interest you (or me).

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You do know you can just skip it, right?

I don't watch any of the various Star Wars cartoons, for example.

It's ok that things exist that don't interest you (or me).

Yeah, I'll be skipping that, just like I've skipped anything from Disney SW since Ep. 8,  the movie that shall not be named... LOL. But OK, thanks for the advice, big guy.

The point is that Disney took a brand and franchise that I WAS interested in for decades and essentially said, "Nah, this isn't for the existing fanbase anymore, we don't like you", a tactic that has literally cost the company billions of Dollars. Smart.

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. OK.

Yes, it is in fact ok.  You will be ok if they make a completely feminist Star Wars film. 

You can use some of that wonderful 'personal responsibility' we always hear so much about from some folks to just...skip it. 

Easy-peasy, right?  

There are dozens of movies every year I skip.  Like pretty much anything with Jim Caviezel in it, lol.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, it is in fact ok.  You will be ok if they make a completely feminist Star Wars film. 

You can use some of that wonderful 'personal responsibility' we always hear so much about from some folks to just...skip it. 

Easy-peasy, right?  

There are dozens of movies every year I skip.  Like pretty much anything with Jim Caviezel in it, lol.

What a strange fight you apparently want to have. Good for you, though. 

The point is that Disney took a brand and franchise that I WAS interested in for decades and essentially said, "Nah, this isn't for the existing fanbase anymore, we don't like you", a tactic that has literally cost the company billions of Dollars. Smart.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What a strange fight you apparently want to have.

Whose fighting?  I'm certainly not.  

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm as long-term a fan and as interested in Star Wars as much as anyone, and the stuff they've produced post-Disney for streaming has so far been excellent, Mandalorian and Andor especially were exceptional.  Obi-Wan had some issues, mostly in the pace and writing, but also had some great stuff too (their fight at the end was the real deal).  Ashoka was fun, with one of the best bad guys in the whole shebang (sadly, the deceased Ray Stevenson).  Looking forward to seeing what this "Skeleton Crew" show with Jude Law is going to be about. 

And several of the forthcoming movies are in good solid non-feminist hands. 

The Ray trilogy was sh*t, but mostly because the writing was terribly inconsistent and atrociously bad.  Abrams is a total over-rated hack, but giving the second film to another guy with no story requirements and no plan was possibly the worst decision in film history, since he (a guy I like alot for his other non-SW films, "Brick" being one of my all-time favorite films) went in a totally different (and very poor) direction.  By that point film 3 was a salvage effort only.  Hire a better guy to write them, and write all three, and the actors themselves likely woulda been fine.  

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed Andor, the only DSW show Ive been able to even tolerate. Too bad Dizz doesn't seem interested in continuing that particular story. 

The rest is absolute crap, IMHO. My kids (the target audience) have lost all interest in SW at this point and moved on. They're 12 and 15. The 12 year old likes crazy YT stuff now, and my 15 year old is a Luke Skywalker superfan... Hes still pissed at what Diz did to his favorite character...😆 

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Whose fighting?  I'm certainly not.  

I'm as long-term a fan and as interested in Star Wars as much as anyone, and the stuff they've produced post-Disney for streaming has so far been excellent, Mandalorian and Andor especially were exceptional.  Obi-Wan had some issues, mostly in the pace and writing, but also had some great stuff too (their fight at the end was the real deal).  Ashoka was fun, with one of the best bad guys in the whole shebang (sadly, the deceased Ray Stevenson).  Looking forward to seeing what this "Skeleton Crew" show with Jude Law is going to be about. 

And several of the forthcoming movies are in good solid non-feminist hands. 

The Ray trilogy was sh*t, but mostly because the writing was terribly inconsistent and atrociously bad.  Abrams is a total over-rated hack, but giving the second film to another guy with no story requirements and no plan was possibly the worst decision in film history, since he (a guy I like alot for his other non-SW films, "Brick" being one of my all-time favorite films) went in a totally different (and very poor) direction.  By that point film 3 was a salvage effort only.  Hire a better guy to write them, and write all three, and the actors themselves likely woulda been fine.  

Mandalorian fell apart after season 1, Andor was good but arguably only quasi Star Wars, Obi Wan and Ashoka are clearly disasters. Like what you want to like but don’t gaslight about the quality of these spin offs. Also, it’s easy to blame “feminism” for the downfall of Star Wars but imo that’s too simplistic. Since Disney got ahold of it it’s been treated with laziness. Yes there’s a concerted effort to push an agenda but that’s because it’s been assumed fans will turn out for anything. As we’ve seen repeatedly with Disney failure after failure from Marvel studios, Disney live action remakes, Lucasfilm, etc it’s just not true. There was a looooot of goodwill that’s been utterly burned in the past couple years. As ratings drop mainly what you’ll see is die hard fans hoping to regain what’s clearly been lost and hate watchers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nolder said:

Like what you want to like but don’t gaslight about the quality of these spin offs.

Giving my own opinion isn't "gaslighting" you, ffs.    

Safe to say we disagree completely on these shows. 

And that's ok too. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

Mandalorian fell apart after season 1, Andor was good but arguably only quasi Star Wars, Obi Wan and Ashoka are clearly disasters. Like what you want to like but don’t gaslight about the quality of these spin offs. Also, it’s easy to blame “feminism” for the downfall of Star Wars but imo that’s too simplistic. Since Disney got ahold of it it’s been treated with laziness. Yes there’s a concerted effort to push an agenda but that’s because it’s been assumed fans will turn out for anything. As we’ve seen repeatedly with Disney failure after failure from Marvel studios, Disney live action remakes, Lucasfilm, etc it’s just not true. There was a looooot of goodwill that’s been utterly burned in the past couple years. As ratings drop mainly what you’ll see is die hard fans hoping to regain what’s clearly been lost and hate watchers.

Star Wars has clearly gone downhill since Disney bought into the franchise.  That’s not to say it was on great ground before.  40 years after the first movie the special effects just aren’t that special anymore and the characters were getting too predictable.  And now, of course, Disney has to throw the whole wokeness kitchen sink at the movies.  The movie series is all fantasy so it doesn’t have to go anywhere near the progressive norms of today.  Heck the movie doesn’t even take place on earth.

But I really think what bothers me about Star Wars is you have these Jedi who can basically fly through the air but on many occasions these guys are falling off of buildings.  And then there’s that scene where Rey has to take a speed boat to the wrecked Death Star and battle a storm and waves.  Couldn’t she have just flown through the air?  Finally, the series is supposed to take place over a pretty long time period yet the space craft don’t seem to evolve much.

Oh well, I’ll probably still watch whatever Star Wars movie they make.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Giving my own opinion isn't "gaslighting" you, ffs.    

Safe to say we disagree completely on these shows. 

And that's ok too. 

Saying you liked Obi-Wan is an opinion. Saying “it had some issues” is, I think, being disingenuous. For most people all you have to do is bring up the laser wall they could have easily walked around to get an audible groan out of them. That’s just the tip of the ice berg. 

We as an audience need to stop coping with bad entertainment. Watching a show and saying “well the first and last episodes were really good!” is sort of like saying “my water was cold and I got a nice scoop of ice cream at the end but my meal kinda sucked.” You shouldn’t have to look for redeeming qualities in your shows and movies you should be eager to talk about the coolest parts with anyone who will listen. Remember when Neo realizes he’s The One and yawns while he’s fighting Agent Smith with one hand? Remember when Maximus reveals himself to Commodus and says he will get his revenge in this life or the next? Remember when Darth Maul ignites both sides of his saber as Duel of the Fates kicks in? No one is going to feel that way about the Obi Wan special. They’ll struggle to remember details and then talk about the things they didn’t like 9/10 times. 

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Finally, the series is supposed to take place over a pretty long time period yet the space craft don’t seem to evolve much.

IIRC Lucas himself addressed this. Basically the Star Wars films take place in a declining civilization. That’s part of the reason there was an effort to make ships and other technologies look sleeker in the prequel trilogy (also advances in CGI of course). Technological progress has stalled for most of the galaxy. Granted this is just a band aid over a plot hole but I guess it makes enough sense to accept.

Just now, Nolder said:

Saying you liked Obi-Wan is an opinion. Saying “it had some issues” is, I think, being disingenuous. For most people all you have to do is bring up the laser wall they could have easily walked around to get an audible groan out of them. That’s just the tip of the ice berg. 

If we put the original trilogy under the same scrutiny many now choose to put today's stuff under, we'll find many problems as well.  We just don't, generally, do that.....because we love it as it was in our memories, often memories as children.

But I meant what I said, and I don't particularly care if you believe me or not.  I could care less about a laser wall (so much so I don't even recall it, honestly), and far more that Leia was in it at all (IMO a lore break/problem with her New Hope message to Kenobi), and the lame scene when Leia was snuck out under a coat.  Not fatal for my enjoyment, but issues I'd have rather seen done differently.

End of the day, I enjoyed them, and am glad they exist.  Better they exist than not IMO.  If you disagree, the option to not watch the new and just rewatch the old always exists too.

Just now, Nolder said:

Remember when Darth Maul ignites both sides of his saber as Duel of the Fates kicks in? No one is going to feel that way about the Obi Wan special. They’ll struggle to remember details and then talk about the things they didn’t like 9/10 times. 

To each their own.  While I thought Maul's twin-blade reveal was cool, that fight is far less cool than many think, especially the "Kenobi forgot how to speed run so got lacked out" part, contradicting directly previous scenes in the same move where he ran much much faster with ease.  Deus Ex Laser Wall in that case, I guess.  

The fight between Vader and Kenobi at the end is, IMO, extremely memorable.  If it wasn't for you, ok, that sucks but again, I'd rather have that scene than not.

Star Wars aside, I generally agree, Hollywood today is sh*t, but it's certainly not Disney or Star Wars exclusive.  The writing, specifically and especially, is sub par these days.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

ITo each their own.  While I thought Maul's twin-blade reveal was cool, that fight is far less cool than many think, especially the "Kenobi forgot how to speed run so got lacked out" part, contradicting directly previous scenes in the same move where he ran much much faster with ease.  Deus Ex Laser Wall in that case, I guess.  

The fight between Vader and Kenobi at the end is, IMO, extremely memorable.  If it wasn't for you, ok, that sucks but again, I'd rather have that scene than not.

Star Wars aside, I generally agree, Hollywood today is sh*t, but it's certainly not Disney or Star Wars exclusive.  The writing, specifically and especially, is sub par these days.

WIthin the 3 Meh prequel movies, there is a solid 3 hour Movie. LOL. 

Making Anakin Skywalker 8 years old was just a disaster for so many reasons... he should have been a contemporary of Obi-Wan, a Pilot he meets or something. Similar age, maybe a couple of years difference. And why make Kenobis Tatooine clothes the "Jedi Uniform"? Makes no sense. Its like a Catholic priest going into exile and hiding his identity while wearing his Roman Collar. Dumb. And on and on... Jar Jar. Oof. 

Whatever, water under the bridge of a Zombie Franchise. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also how the **** did Flounder get Eric's statue into that cave? First off that thing was likely heavy as hell and there's no way some tiny little fish is getting that in there. Second, look at the door, look at the opening at the top that Ariel barely can fit through. Makes no sense.

Flounder didn't bring the statue in there. It was a fluke.

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2024 at 9:04 PM, T0mShane said:

Watched Past Lives two nights ago and was completely blown away. It’s a rumination on love and fate, etc. Feels like a really smart stage play put to screen, and there are full hunks of dialogue that will straight up kill you. 

I’ll second this rec and also say that overall I think this and Oppenheimer were the best movies I saw this last year. 

I think Past Lives reminded me a lot of Lost in Translation in a number of ways, but I also really loved that it took all the best aspects of American cinema and Korean cinema and brought them together. It didn’t hurt that they brought in a bunch of the former members of Grizzly Bear to craft a wonderfully serene soundtrack that helped carry each scene. I really enjoyed it and I think it’s one of those movies that you’ll catch something new every time in subsequent viewings. 

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we put the original trilogy under the same scrutiny many now choose to put today's stuff under, we'll find many problems as well.  We just don't, generally, do that.....because we love it as it was in our memories, often memories as children.

Well nothing is perfect. I think it’s easier to overlook flaws when the good parts outweigh the bad and I don’t think Disney has been doing that with any of their IPs for 3-5 years.

But I meant what I said, and I don't particularly care if you believe me or not.  I could care less about a laser wall (so much so I don't even recall it, honestly), and far more that Leia was in it at all (IMO a lore break/problem with her New Hope message to Kenobi), and the lame scene when Leia was snuck out under a coat.  Not fatal for my enjoyment, but issues I'd have rather seen done differently.

End of the day, I enjoyed them, and am glad they exist.  Better they exist than not IMO.  If you disagree, the option to not watch the new and just rewatch the old always exists too.

I can’t really complain too much if someone enjoyed something because I do believe everyone can like what they like good or bad (I like PLENTY of objectively bad things especially music so not trying to throw shade) but I will say you’re definitely in the minority on Obi Wan at least.

Well, look, Luke drinking green milk from some alien titty is something I will never forget but that’s not necessarily a good thing. At best I think you can say the Kenobi/Vader fight could have been better. But at worst I think it irreparably damaged how many view these characters. For some people it didn’t and I guess that’s good but I think Star Wars as a whole would probably be better off if the Kenobi show had never been made.

Very very true. On that at least we can agree. It’s a Hollywood problem not a Disney problem.

7 hours ago, Nolder said:

Well nothing is perfect. I think it’s easier to overlook flaws when the good parts outweigh the bad and I don’t think Disney has been doing that with any of their IPs for 3-5 years.

Exactly what good parts are there in the Holiday Special

On 1/9/2024 at 12:02 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I enjoyed Andor, the only DSW show Ive been able to even tolerate. Too bad Dizz doesn't seem interested in continuing that particular story. 

Why do you say that?  

From Wikipedia:  A second season, which will conclude the series and lead into the events of Rogue One, began filming in November 2022, but has since been halted in the first half of 2023 due to the 2023 Hollywood labor disputes.

"Andor" always had a limited # of seasons, given the end-point of Rogue One (a Disney-era SW film, I'll add, that I liked an awful lot personally).

Also, who is "Dizz"?

On 1/9/2024 at 12:02 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

The rest is absolute crap, IMHO. My kids (the target audience) have lost all interest in SW at this point and moved on. They're 12 and 15. The 12 year old likes crazy YT stuff now, and my 15 year old is a Luke Skywalker superfan... Hes still pissed at what Diz did to his favorite character...😆 

Your kids were never Star Wars target audience, lol.  You and I and other 40 and 50 somethings were.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:38 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Exactly what good parts are there in the Holiday Special

First of all that’s an obscure piece of media that most casual fans don’t even know exists, like the Ewok movies or cartoons. Secondly I think that proves my point more than anything on a macro scale. I was talking about flaws within an individual movie being easy to overlook as long as the good outweighs the bad but, yeah, it probably applies to an entire franchise/IP as well. The Holiday Special is bad but when taking all Star Wars media as a whole at the time the overall view is that Star Wars is still good despite that one thing. And the overall point being made isn’t that the Obi Wan special was bad, or Ashoka was bad, or later seasons of the Mandalorian were bad…it’s that they were all pretty bad following a disaster of a sequel trilogy which followed an extremely shakey (many would say just as bad) prequel trilogy. It’s not just that Disney hasn’t really done anything to redeem the Star Wars brand once they got, they actively dug the hole it found itself in much much much deeper. I think a case can be made that Star Wars is a dead IP walking and needs to be shelved for a couple decades before even attempting a recovery. But that’s a different discussion entirely.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:06 PM, Warfish said:

Why do you say that?  

From Wikipedia:  A second season, which will conclude the series and lead into the events of Rogue One, began filming in November 2022, but has since been halted in the first half of 2023 due to the 2023 Hollywood labor disputes.

"Andor" always had a limited # of seasons, given the end-point of Rogue One (a Disney-era SW film, I'll add, that I liked an awful lot personally).

You know what, I should really give credit where it’s due in this discussion. Like I said before Andor was good but arguably only quasi Star Wars but Rogue One was excellent. I think it’s really a shame it was associated with the other Disney Star Wars projects. I think most people, even people that like to dunk on Disney Star Wars, still liked Rogue One or at the very least admit it was a successful movie. And actually I guess it would be disingenuous on my own part not to at least admit that the entire sequel trilogy was financially successful. I guess you can hate on a product all you want but if people keep buying it year after year it doesn’t really matter how bad people think it is does it? Call of Duty and EA Sports games prove this reliably every single year.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:06 PM, Warfish said:

Your kids were never Star Wars target audience, lol.  You and I and other 40 and 50 somethings were.

Im pretty sure this is factually wrong. The prequel trilogy was absolutely made for and marketed to kids at the time. I think the sequel trilogy was possibly for a general audience more so than a kid audience but that’s just an assumption.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

First of all that’s an obscure piece of media that most casual fans don’t even know exists, like the Ewok movies or cartoons. Secondly I think that proves my point more than anything on a macro scale. I was talking about flaws within an individual movie being easy to overlook as long as the good outweighs the bad but, yeah, it probably applies to an entire franchise/IP as well. The Holiday Special is bad but when taking all Star Wars media as a whole at the time the overall view is that Star Wars is still good despite that one thing. And the overall point being made isn’t that the Obi Wan special was bad, or Ashoka was bad, or later seasons of the Mandalorian were bad…it’s that they were all pretty bad following a disaster of a sequel trilogy which followed an extremely shakey (many would say just as bad) prequel trilogy. It’s not just that Disney hasn’t really done anything to redeem the Star Wars brand once they got, they actively dug the hole it found itself in much much much deeper. I think a case can be made that Star Wars is a dead IP walking and needs to be shelved for a couple decades before even attempting a recovery. But that’s a different discussion entirely.

Meh. They made like half a billion dollars off of Grogu toys. Betting against the mouse is generally a dumb gamble. 

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Meh. They made like half a billion dollars off of Grogu toys. Betting against the mouse is generally a dumb gamble. 

Disney had…four? billion dollar flops in theaters last year. Park attendance is down. Disney Plus subscribers are down. 

Disney has a huge war chest but they are burning through money fast. I wouldn’t worry about them going bankrupt but we’ll probably see a lot of mitigation in the next couple years. You’re going to see a lot of announced projects, particularly marvel and Lucasfilm, just quietly disappear if not get outright cancelled. They can’t keep bleeding this much money this fast.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

Disney had…four? billion dollar flops in theaters last year. Park attendance is down. Disney Plus subscribers are down. 

Disney has a huge war chest but they are burning through money fast. I wouldn’t worry about them going bankrupt but we’ll probably see a lot of mitigation in the next couple years. You’re going to see a lot of announced projects, particularly marvel and Lucasfilm, just quietly disappear if not get outright cancelled. They can’t keep bleeding this much money this fast.

Disney Plus lost 400 million last year, Disney movies overall lost about a billion last year.   The MCU is essentially done, and Star Wars is on life support at best.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Nolder said:

I think they did a whole bunch of studies and the park attendance stuff was due to heatwaves and some extreme weather patterns combined with cost. Which makes way more sense. The Eternals sucking ass has no bearing on me taking my kids to Disney, but I sure as hell am not doing it in 105 degree Florida weather. They've also shot back up since end of last year so there's that. 

I think you're looking at this from strictly an adult standpoint too hard. So long as children exist, Disney will be fine. Hard to bet against them considering they're still churning out franchises like Frozen and Encanto.