Favre- Mania begins -___-

Vudu

Analyst: Brett Favre might be interested in returning for 21st year

If you're tired of reading about the lockout, then why not mull that tried and true offseason drama of yesteryear(s).

According to NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt, QB Brett Favre might be considering a(nother) comeback for a 21st NFL season.

"I do think Favre would be interested in talking to a team about returning," Brandt wrote in an NFL.com chat Tuesday. "But I don't see a team out there right now that would bring him back as a starter."

Brandt was vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys for three decades. However he hasn't worked in an NFL front office for more than 20 years. Still, he remains very well-connected in league circles.

Favre, 41, the all-time leader for passing yards and TDs among his boatload of records, is coming off the worst season of his NFL career -- after having arguably his best in 2009 -- posting his fewest passing yards (2,509), TD throws (11) and lowest QB rating (69.9) as a starter while losing his streak of consecutive regular-season starts (297) just shy of 300 due to various injuries. He's indicated he would retire ... though he's indicated that many times before.

But would the Vikings let him come back to try and go out on a higher note while mentoring first-round QB Christian Ponder? New coach Leslie Frazier has blown hot and cold on the issue since the 2010 season ended.

"Brett is still a good quarterback, but I'd consider him a descending quarterback," Brandt wrote. "It's awfully hard for him to go to a team and be a backup. The Vikings must start Christian Ponder this season to get him some experience. And they're not going to get Favre in there to babysit Ponder."

Might Favre consider Carolina, which is close to his Mississippi home and would allow him to break in rookie QB Cam Newton, who's also represented by Favre's agent, Bus Cook?

Might Favre ponder an NFC West team -- save the Rams -- any of which might be a veteran quarterback away from the playoffs?

Might this be much ado about nothing? ... Seems likely.

It's gone from annoying to embarrassingly humorous to me. I hope some team does let him come back and embarrass himself again. He reminded me of Jake Taylor from Major League last year. Those old knees just weren't holding up. I wonder if someone will ask him to coach and let Rube Baker take over the QB duties.

It's gone from annoying to embarrassingly humorous to me. I hope some team does let him come back and embarrass himself again. He reminded me of Jake Taylor from Major League last year. Those old knees just weren't holding up. I wonder if someone will ask him to coach and let Rube Baker take over the QB duties.

While you're laughing at Favre, who do the Dolphins have playing QB this year?

No really. Favre pushed Pennington down to Miami, why not do the same in Miami now that Penny's moved on?

I don't think you guys want to rely solely on Henne, do you?

:D:D

What other choice do we have? Bring in Matt Hasselbeck or Vince Young, maybe win an extra game or two and still miss the post-season? Just run Henne out there; he has some positives to work off of in a new offense without the senile old Dan Henning. Yeah, he crumbles late, but maybe he can ditch his late game failures and pull a Drew Brees. And if not, we draft one of the studs coming out at quarterback next year.

Chad Henne might lower the floor for this team, but he's the only option that raises the ceiling, too.

What other choice do we have? Bring in Matt Hasselbeck or Vince Young, maybe win an extra game or two and still miss the post-season? Just run Henne out there; he has some positives to work off of in a new offense without the senile old Dan Henning. Yeah, he crumbles late, but maybe he can ditch his late game failures and pull a Drew Brees. And if not, we draft one of the studs coming out at quarterback next year.

Chad Henne might lower the floor for this team, but he's the only option that raises the ceiling, too.

I think you got Penny not just for veteran backup, but as insurance in case Henne doesn't work out. The scenario: if Henne can't beat out Pennington or gets the job and loses it back to Pennington, then draft a new QB and maybe have Chad start the first year.

Chad's not in Miami this year, why not just substitute Favre for Chad's role? Favre's team didn't do well last year, but there were still plenty of games where he showed he could rev it up. You could do a lot worse than Favre-a lot worse.

Actually, I hope you don't do it because I think if Favre does come back, he's going to surprise a lot people.

I think you got Penny not just for veteran backup, but as insurance in case Henne doesn't work out. The scenario: if Henne can't beat out Pennington or gets the job and loses it back to Pennington, then draft a new QB and maybe have Chad start the first year.

Chad's not in Miami this year, why not just substitute Favre for Chad's role? Favre's team didn't do well last year, but there were still plenty of games where he showed he could rev it up. You could do a lot worse than Favre-a lot worse.

Actually, I hope you don't do it because I think if Favre does come back, he's going to surprise a lot people.

By doing what? Show his penis to more people? His body is done. Did you watch him last year? He is absolutely done. The body finally caught up with the general opinion of America. There are plenty of other guys we can sign to backup Henne.

By doing what? Show his penis to more people? His body is done. Did you watch him last year? He is absolutely done. The body finally caught up with the general opinion of America. There are plenty of other guys we can sign to backup Henne.

Back-up Henne? Id say you need a starter nevermind a back-up. :rolleyes:

Back-up Henne? Id say you need a starter nevermind a back-up. :rolleyes:

Like I already said, they need to give Henne one season with an offensive coordinator that hasn't completely lost his mind. Putting a stop gap out there does the organization no good. We have a top 10 defense, very, very good receivers, and are working on fixing the interior offensive line. We're a quarterback away from being a very good team. Is that Henne? Maybe. Probably not. We'll find out this year. If not, we can draft Barkley, Jones, Weeden or one of the stud QBs next year and our young defense will still be around for years to come.

It only makes sense to play Henne, even though he was dreadful last December.

I'm reminded of Pat Kirwan writing that Sanchez is an impressive QB who just needs to improve on his passing.

Lol. That's pretty classic. And I know my post is contradictory because it does take a good quarterback to be a good team 95% of the time. But look at you guys, you were a good team the last two years without a good quarterback.

I disagree. Fact is, when Favre went to Minnesota the first year everything fell into place, the rookie Percy Harvin and Favre just clicked and it built from there.

The second year Harvin had a concussion, something else bad happened and Favre just couldn't get untracked. But even during that season, he still could rev it up, get the team moving. Hell, look at the game against the Jets.

If your team is as good as you say it is, then Favre can take you places.

Which is why I hope You don't sign him-even though it is probably the smartest thing you can do.

I disagree. Fact is, when Favre went to Minnesota the first year everything fell into place, the rookie Percy Harvin and Favre just clicked and it built from there.

The second year Harvin had a concussion, something else bad happened and Favre just couldn't get untracked. But even during that season, he still could rev it up, get the team moving. Hell, look at the game against the Jets.

If your team is as good as you say it is, then Favre can take you places.

Which is why I hope You don't sign him-even though it is probably the smartest thing you can do.

You can't blame his even more eratic play and lack of being able to take the NFL pounding on anyone but him. He is D-O-N-E!

His erratic play last year was largely due to his ace deep threat, Percy Harvin, having a concussion and his possession receiver, Sidney Rice, (whom Favre made into a star the previous year), being out for quite awhile.

He never had a full chance to get the team rolling.

What was Henne's excuse?

Archived