Have fun Braylon

Jetsfan80

I don't understand what Braylon did to piss Jets fans off so much except make clutch catches in the playoffs. As Jets fans we just don't like winning.

How about continuing to do dumb stuff like drunk driving and bar fighting? How many chances do these dopes need before they figure it out? Good riddance.

I don't understand what Braylon did to piss Jets fans off so much except make clutch catches in the playoffs. As Jets fans we just don't like winning.

Hah! This happens everytime the FO screws a player. The board suddenly hates their guts. There have dozens of players that have fallen to the same fate. Braylon worked hard, was a big contributor, went to voluntary "Jets West" and openly stated he was willing to play on the cheap for the team. Then he gets cut and everybody suddenly finds reasons to despise him. Just a matter of time until Cotchery is overrated, easily replaced, not a redzone threat, had the dropsies, etc. Nobody took it harder in the butt than Pennington who was a good Jet and a class act, regardless of his limitations. He gets summarily dumped for Brett Favre after re-winning his job and still never says a sour word. Suddenly he's the spawn of Satan. It's the way people deal with loss and dissapointment--they justify by turning on the player. Psyche 101.

Hah! This happens everytime the FO screws a player. The board suddenly hates their guts. There have dozens of players that have fallen to the same fate. Braylon worked hard, was a big contributor, went to voluntary "Jets West" and openly stated he was willing to play on the cheap for the team. Then he gets cut and everybody suddenly finds reasons to despise him. Just a matter of time until Cotchery is overrated, easily replaced, not a redzone threat, had the dropsies, etc. Nobody took it harder in the butt than Pennington who was a good Jet and a class act, regardless of his limitations. He gets summarily dumped for Brett Favre after re-winning his job and still never says a sour word. Suddenly he's the spawn of Satan. It's the way people deal with loss and dissapointment--they justify by turning on the player. Psyche 101.

I still like Braylon, sirlance, but I do question his judgment. The Jets certainly offered Braylon more than he's getting with the Niners but for whatever reason he decided he wanted out.

Ultimately, I root for the laundry, and the moment you leave the Jets, you are now the enemy (particularly if you end up in Miami or New England). Leon Washington was one of my absolute favorite Jets but now I'm apathetic about him and how he performs in Seattle. Its a cold business, and if you get more emotionally invested in individual players than you do in the team you root for, you're in trouble. I still have an old Jonathan Vilma Jets jersey somewhere that I never wear. :lol:

I still like Braylon, sirlance, but I do question his judgment. The Jets certainly offered Braylon more than he's getting with the Niners but for whatever reason he decided he wanted out.

Ultimately, I root for the laundry, and the moment you leave the Jets, you are now the enemy (particularly if you end up in Miami or New England). Leon Washington was one of my absolute favorite Jets but now I'm apathetic about him and how he performs in Seattle. Its a cold business, and if you get more emotionally invested in individual players than you do in the team you root for, you're in trouble. I still have an old Jonathan Vilma Jets jersey somewhere that I never wear. :lol:

No doubt Braylon's an idiot and honestly if he's gone, there's probably a reason. But he doesn't suck. Nor does Cotchery. Leon didn't suck and Vilma didn't suck and Abraham didn't suck and Farrior didn't suck...you see what I'm getting at. Fans just love to hate the guy thats gone and it colors their judgement immensely. As far as rooting for the laundry, thats the wisest route of course. But there are certain players you come to identify with over the years, ie: Shaun Ellis. to think they offered him ten bucks and a ham sandwich to play in a rotation is sort of sad and insulting. There should be a modicum of honor for players that gave their health and sweat and blood and effort and emotion to a team and a fanbase for over a decade...and didn't complain. As a fan it leaves me feeling a bit ashamed of this team.

No doubt Braylon's an idiot and honestly if he's gone, there's probably a reason. But he doesn't suck. Nor does Cotchery. Leon didn't suck and Vilma didn't suck and Abraham didn't suck and Farrior didn't suck...you see what I'm getting at. Fans just love to hate the guy thats gone and it colors their judgement immensely. As far as rooting for the laundry, thats the wisest route of course. But there are certain players you come to identify with over the years, ie: Shaun Ellis. to think they offered him ten bucks and a ham sandwich to play in a rotation is sort of sad and insulting. There should be a modicum of honor for players that gave their health and sweat and blood and effort and emotion to a team and a fanbase for over a decade...and didn't complain. As a fan it leaves me feeling a bit ashamed of this team.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. To give extra money to guys for loyalty, or worse, carry them on the roster is the sure way to have a sh*tty team. Love the player. Appreciate him, but don't blame the front office for doing what will put the best team on the field.

If it's so sad and insulting, I'm sure Ellis will land on his feet somewhere else. Yay Ellis!

I just saw a homeless woman on the train platform who's posture was so bad she could kiss her belly button.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. To give extra money to guys for loyalty, or worse, carry them on the roster is the sure way to have a sh*tty team. Love the player. Appreciate him, but don't blame the front office for doing what will put the best team on the field.

I aqree with all of this. But Ellis owns Brady, sacks the crap out of him. He's better than an incoming rookie and can offer experience and mentorship. There is value in a veteran. If there wasn't, LT would've been cut outright this year. It's easier to root for a team with roots, class and integrity. That's all I'm saying. And if a player has to go, than sobeit. Does the fanbase have to suddenly dislike them because of it though?

Who hates his guts? Nobody hates him, they just think he's an idiot and rightfully so. You gotta screw up pretty bad to make the Jets FO not even attempt to sign you.

Who hates his guts? Nobody hates him, they just think he's an idiot and rightfully so. You gotta screw up pretty bad to make the Jets FO not even attempt to sign you.

I won't defend Braylon because, honestly, we can probably live without him. But the "Hope we sign Braylon over Holmes" sentiment was nearly universal on this baord a month ago. Now Braylon is a big bag of monkeynuts and nobody says squat about Holmes. It's just an observation.

A month ago was also before he was involved in another bar fight. I honestly wanted to keep him as well, but that incident proves he hasn't changed at all, and will only be trouble next season (plus might have an upcoming suspension). I mean how many times are we supposed to let this guy make a fool of himself? We did damn good coming away with what we did, this off season.

You wouldn't be referring to all the Jets fans who took such great pleasure in trashing Leon Washington last year, would you?

If this game is purely cold business and it's really all about putting the best team on the field, then someone needs to explain how Vernon Gholston stayed on the roster fo as long as he did.

It's easier to root for a team with roots, class and integrity. That's all I'm saying. And if a player has to go, than sobeit. Does the fanbase have to suddenly dislike them because of it though?

We tried to do that back in the Herm era. We gave over-the-hill players contracts because they were good guys. How did that work out for us. Its easier to root for a team that WINS, and wins consistently. That's the bottom line, and its the reason the NFL is a cold-blooded league. Look around the NFL. Do you really think we're the only team that dumps its veteran players? Hell no.

Your second point is valid. You don't have to dislike every player who leaves. I won't dislike Shaun Ellis. I don't dislike Jerricho Cotchery, who made the best decision for himself. I don't dislike Vilma or Jason Ferguson or even John Abraham (who, compared to Ellis, was somewhat of a pussy). But there's a good reason front offices don't get emotional or sympathetic like we do about millionaire athletes, and the reason is that its simply just the way it is.

And for the record, I was part of the minority that wanted Holmes over Braylon, easily. So I think I've been pretty consistent. lol.

If this game is purely cold business and it's really all about putting the best team on the field, then someone needs to explain how Vernon Gholston stayed on the roster fo as long as he did.

Had we released him a year earlier than we did, his cap hit would have been massive. At one point, he was the 2nd most uncuttable player on the roster behind Sanchez from a cap perspective. That had NOTHING to do with loyalty and everything to do with finances.

Had we released him a year earlier than we did, his cap hit would have been massive. At one point, he was the 2nd most uncuttable player on the roster behind Sanchez from a cap perspective. That had NOTHING to do with loyalty and everything to do with finances.

There was no salary cap last year. Gholston was being given one last shot given the considerable investment the Jets already made in him. That clearly didn't work out, but at least they feel they gave it every possible shot. However, this differs from how things would have been with re-signing Braylon since the Jets weren't relying on Gholston to do anything.

I aqree with all of this. But Ellis owns Brady, sacks the crap out of him. He's better than an incoming rookie and can offer experience and mentorship. There is value in a veteran. If there wasn't, LT would've been cut outright this year. It's easier to root for a team with roots, class and integrity. That's all I'm saying. And if a player has to go, than sobeit. Does the fanbase have to suddenly dislike them because of it though?

But the Jets made Ellis an offer. They made Edwards an offer. They cut Cotchery at his request because presumably he wanted more money than they wanted to pay him. They see value in these players, but they see more value in Derrick Mason at the vet min - which basically doesn't count against the cap. I don't hate the players. In fact, I usually root for them when they aren't playing against the Jets. I still root for Abraham, who, unlike most of the players mentioned is an actual beast.

EDIT: Sperm answered better, but cap and potential. There are plenty of sh*tty guys on rosters because of potential. Big and fast will get you signed.

We tried to do that back in the Herm era. We gave over-the-hill players contracts because they were good guys. How did that work out for us.

Don't let Parcells off the hook so easily. How much did that fat **** give his "boys"? ******* Bryan Cox. That old **** had one foot in retirement when he first got here.

And if a player has to go, than sobeit. Does the fanbase have to suddenly dislike them because of it though?

Some fans are hating on Ellis for leaving for the Pats. I understand it, but won't share in it. It's a business.

I don't hate any of the WR's who aren't returning. In fact, I like both of them. I hope Cotchery has a nice rest of his career, and I hope Braylon checks into rehab and gets his life together. I'm very happy for Brad Smith and his new 4yr/$16M contract, and I'm equally happy the Jets didn't pay that much for a role player.

Archived