Brad Smith: "[The Bills] might be a Super Bowl team, too"

Jetsfan80

http://thejetpress.com/2011/08/08/brad-smith-greatest-thing-to-happen-to-buffalo-since-the-wing/

Brad Smith greatest thing to happen to Buffalo since the Wing

AUTHOR: Marc A. Greenberg

Buffalo is starting to like Brad Smith. Should this surprise anyone?

The former New York Jets QB/kick returner/receiver has just arrived in Buffalo, but already the Bills realize what they have in Smith.

“That guy’s going to be so much fun to have around here, because he gives us such a different dimension,” quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick told SI.COM Peter King.

Said coach Chan Gailey regarding Smith’s role, “I don’t know if he’ll touch the ball four times in a game or 14. All I know is he’s going to get it a bunch.”

King reports that the Jets had wanted to bring back Smith to the team, just lost him in the shuffle when the team was negotiating with CB Nnamdi Asomugha. Tired of waiting around with no offer, Smith signed with the Bills.

Smith told King he has no regrets.

“Not at all,” Smith said. “And I saw what happened with them not re-signing Jerricho [Cotchery], Shaun [Ellis] and Braylon [Edwards]. Things were changing there. And here, this might be a Super Bowl team too.”

Buffalo plans to use Smith in a similar fashion as the Jets did, with possibly more throwing. Case in point: In practice King reports that Smith linen up in shotgun formation with four receivers, rolled to the right, faked a run and threw the ball 55 yards in the air.

Give me a f%#$ing break, Brad.

Smith, more than anyone last year, was the product of good coaching, and good players around him.

This guy won't run a single kick back this year without Westhoff calling the shots.

He'll run the wildcat in Buffalo, but he will not have nearly the impact overall that he had here with the Jets.

Major waste of money for the Bills, in my opinion.

But I guess he'll have the chance to prove me wrong.

Case in point: In practice King reports that Smith linen up in shotgun formation with four receivers, rolled to the right, faked a run and threw the ball 55 yards in the air.

Article neglects to mention that the ball clanged to the earth short of the intended receiver.

Article neglects to mention that the ball clanged to the earth short of the intended receiver.

Or that while it traveled 55 yards in the air it only traveled 16 yards downfield. Still a pretty strong throw, though.

I'm kidding around. I loved having Smith on the team and wish he was still here. But in no way was he worth $4M/year, particularly to the 2011 Jets who had a gazillion free agents. No matter how much you'd like to, you can't keep everyone who performs.

Or that while it traveled 55 yards in the air it only traveled 16 yards downfield. Still a pretty strong throw, though.

I'm kidding around. I loved having Smith on the team and wish he was still here. But in no way was he worth $4M/year, particularly to the 2011 Jets who had a gazillion free agents. No matter how much you'd like to, you can't keep everyone who performs.

+1.

Good player ... better on a good team with good coaching.

But $4M?

No f%$&ing way.

http://thejetpress.com/2011/08/08/brad-smith-greatest-thing-to-happen-to-buffalo-since-the-wing/

The former New York Jets QB/kick returner/receiver has just arrived in Buffalo, but already the Bills realize what they have in Smith.

“That guy’s going to be so much fun to have around here, because he gives us such a different dimension,” quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick told SI.COM Peter King.

Said coach Chan Gailey regarding Smith’s role, “I don’t know if he’ll touch the ball four times in a game or 14. All I know is he’s going to get it a bunch.”

King reports that the Jets had wanted to bring back Smith to the team, just lost him in the shuffle when the team was negotiating with CB Nnamdi Asomugha. Tired of waiting around with no offer, Smith signed with the Bills.

“Not at all,” Smith said. “And I saw what happened with them not re-signing Jerricho [Cotchery], Shaun [Ellis] and Braylon [Edwards]. Things were changing there. And here, this might be a Super Bowl team too.”

Buffalo plans to use Smith in a similar fashion as the Jets did, with possibly more throwing. Case in point: In practice King reports that Smith linen up in shotgun formation with four receivers, rolled to the right, faked a run and threw the ball 55 yards in the air.

Really Chan??

I agree with all of this, and yet I still think that Buffalo is getting more for their money in Smith than Miami is getting in its trade plus a 2yr/$9.75M deal for Reggie Bush.

They didn't pay him all that money for him to be on the field for 1-3 offensive plays a game. He's going to see the field a lot.

I agree with all of this, and yet I still think that Buffalo is getting more for their money in Smith than Miami is getting in its trade plus a 2yr/$9.75M deal for Reggie Bush.

They didn't pay him all that money for him to be on the field for 1-3 offensive plays a game. He's going to see the field a lot.

That's what they said about Derrick Blaylock.

I think he must have bumped his head one too many times.....

And you know this is true because its being said by Brad Smith - the greatest football player who ever lived! :rolleyes:

Wake me in week 17 when Smith makes his fifth catch of the season.

For all those who are bemoaning this loss remember this: kick returners usually have an effective shelf life of about 2-3 years. Next!

And you know this is true because its being said by Brad Smith - the greatest football player who ever lived! :rolleyes:

Wake me in week 17 when Smith makes his fifth catch of the season.

For all those who are bemoaning this loss remember this: kick returners usually have an effective shelf life of about 2-3 years. Next!

I'm thinking this might be one of those sh*tting on players when they leave the Jets posts.

I'm thinking this might be one of those sh*tting on players when they leave the Jets posts.

Yeah, did you expect anything less from Cpt. Klacko?

Truth of it is, whether its, Chad Morton, Dedric Ward, Jonathan Carter, Justin Miller, Leon Washington or Brad Smith...we've always got something out of our KR game thanks to Westy. I'm not worried in the slightest in that dept, especially consdering the rule changes.

Not so much.

I loved Brad Smith. I'm just wondering when he became this amazing player who couldn't be replaced. Lets be real here. He's a very good, not great, kick returner and a good wildcat guy.

People, especially in the media, screaming about how the Jets lost their number 4 receiver? Please! The guy had all of four catches last year. Other than wildcat plays he contributed nothing to our offense. Tony Richardson had more catches than this guy.

He scored 7 TDs in five years! I don't understand how anyone chalks this up to some huge loss.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills!

Yeah, did you expect anything less from Cpt. Klacko?

Truth of it is, whether its, Chad Morton, Dedric Ward, Jonathan Carter, Justin Miller, Leon Washington or Brad Smith...we've always got something out of our KR game thanks to Westy. I'm not worried in the slightest in that dept, especially consdering the rule changes.

Let me see if I have this straight: I'm a big crazy homer, but you agree with every word I said. :blink:

Not so much.

I loved Brad Smith. I'm just wondering when he became this amazing player who couldn't be replaced. Lets be real here. He's a very good, not great, kick returner and a good wildcat guy.

People, especially in the media, screaming about how the Jets lost their number 4 receiver? Please! The guy had all of four catches last year. Other than wildcat plays he contributed nothing to our offense. Tony Richardson had more catches than this guy.

He scored 7 TDs in five years! I don't understand how anyone chalks this up to some huge loss.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills!

He's an excellent return man. Yes, the Westoff and the Jets seem to be able to plug them in, but the Jets have been a top return unit the past couple years with Westoff's choice of Brad Smith as the guy.

He's an excellent wildcat guy. The guy averaged 7ypc from the formation last year. We all know Schotty sucks and the wildcat sucks worse, so Brad Smith must be way beyond awesome to get that kind of production out of a sh*tty coaches sh*tty formation.

Him being a quality player doesn't have to mean that he's irreplaceable. Jets will be replacing all the things he did here with a couple guys.

The media says stupid things, particularly about the WR's because it's a flash point this year. Brad Smith was never a receiver for the Jets. That's a given. But he was a great player for the Jets who shouldn't be crapped on because the sports media are a bunch of jerks.

I'm happy for Brad Smith and his new contract, and I'm simultaneously glad the Jets didn't pay it. Going to a team with Chan Gailey at the helm and Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, I expect them to maximize their investment.

He's an excellent return man. Yes, the Westoff and the Jets seem to be able to plug them in, but the Jets have been a top return unit the past couple years with Westoff's choice of Brad Smith as the guy.

He's an excellent wildcat guy. The guy averaged 7ypc from the formation last year. We all know Schotty sucks and the wildcat sucks worse, so Brad Smith must be way beyond awesome to get that kind of production out of a sh*tty coaches sh*tty formation.

Him being a quality player doesn't have to mean that he's irreplaceable. Jets will be replacing all the things he did here with a couple guys.

The media says stupid things, particularly about the WR's because it's a flash point this year. Brad Smith was never a receiver for the Jets. That's a given. But he was a great player for the Jets who shouldn't be crapped on because the sports media are a bunch of jerks.

I'm happy for Brad Smith and his new contract, and I'm simultaneously glad the Jets didn't pay it. Going to a team with Chan Gailey at the helm and Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, I expect them to maximize their investment.

I'm not crapping on him. I'm crapping on the media and the chicken littles who are acting like we lost Jerry Rice in his prime.

Yeah but, he wasnt the guy till we lost Leon. He was always Leon's lead blocker. And he was only a KR, not PR.

Last season was the first time he was the exclusive KR guy, he clearly made the most of it, but if you recall, after Leon went down, we brought Justin Miller back before handing the reigns over to Brad Smith.

So saying he was Westy's hand picked guy is a stretch. He avoided him on KR's for 4 years and he didnt get the job till it was out of necessity.

Yeah but, he wasnt the guy till we lost Leon. He was always Leon's lead blocker. And he was only a KR, not PR.

Last season was the first time he was the exclusive KR guy, he clearly made the most of it, but if you recall, after Leon went down, we brought Justin Miller back before handing the reigns over to Brad Smith.

So saying he was Westy's hand picked guy is a stretch. He avoided him on KR's for 4 years and he didnt get the job till it was out of necessity.

Brad Smith had the best year for a KOR on the Jets in the last 10 years last year. However they finally got around to giving him the job, he was the best of a consistently very good group.

I expect Westoff to plug in the next guy and continue to have success. If he's nearly as good as Brad Smith was in the role, we'll be fortunate.

Archived