•  

Photo
- - - - -

Tanny: "I don't think I would have signed a QB to an extension knowing he'd have 26 turnovers"

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,110 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Drafting/extending Sanchez is just the biggest symptom of the underlying problem: Tannenbaum was completely unqualified to be the Jets GM. He knew almost nothing about football personnel and was no cap guru either. No matter what the Jets record turned out to be this past year, they were going to be in the same cap situation.

#27 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,267 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

"I would have never driven that boat so fast had I known about the iceberg." - Titanic Captain

#28 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Lulza.  That dude was on it!

A lot of good that freed up cap space did...

Exactly. Cap space doesn't much matter if your QB blows.

Edited by Bugg, 14 February 2013 - 04:05 PM.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#29 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 28,882 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Tanny is in damage control mode so he can get a job. This is nothing but silly excuse making to defend what was and is always going to be a culmination of BONEHEADED decision making.

This time of year H&R block is looking for block heads just like him.

unclerico.gif

#30 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Not to fully excuse the extension, but the available QBs from 2013-2014 that the Jets could actually land are similarly garbage. Matt Moore is getting propped up as a real option here, that's how crappy the situation is. Geno Smith, a mid-sized QB from West Virginia of all schools, is probably the best QB the Jets will have the opportunity to land in the past two offseasons. Sanchez sucks, but really it's a sh*t situation all around. 

We can now hindsight something about how Russell Wilson of course...I'm sure this board would have been thrilled with the Jets picking a 5'11" QB with a third round pick last year (bc that matters). 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#31 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Transition Player

• Members
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

This time of year H&R block is looking for block heads just like him.

But even H&R needs guys who can balance the numbers,

#32 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 28,882 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

But even H&R needs guys who can balance the numbers,

He could be a star at H&R block.  That could put his goofy mug on those commercials.  

unclerico.gif

#33 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 16,985 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

just

shut

up

Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.

#34 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

everyone jumps on the extension as Tanny's big mistake. It wasn't a mistake at all. That money was coming to Sanchez anyway. It was a pure salary cap move. The mistake was drafting Sanchez to begin with. People think that somehow if Mark didn't get extended, the team would be better off. I don't really see how that's true. There's 1 year less of Mark, yes but there's also no Pouha, no Landry, no free agents at all. The jets would have been absolutely cap strapped with mark's salary 10+ mil in 2012.  The Jets would have no QB in 2013 when the QB draft class is   toilet bowl quality. in fact if the Sanchez extension prevents the Jets from being in the Geno Smith/Matt Barkley market then it's a blessing in disguise.

The extension was a neutral move. the original pick was the problem.  Let's be honest if Tanny doesn't extend Mark, and Mark has the same year,he's getting fired either way. No one says "hey at least that Tanny didn't extend Mark let's keep him for another year" The original sin was picking Mark. that's what got Tanny fired... not the extension. 

lets not act like its set in stone that this years qb have no chance to do anything but suck. the draft is such an imperfect science that i find it slightly funny that all the draftniks and supposed draft gurus even get much recognition when they say this sh*t. the truth is that giving mark the extension has come back to bit this team and just like you said we had no choice but to draft the biggest bust this team has ever drafted you say we hads no choice but to give sanchez an extension. boith moves are big reasons why we suck today

#35 Jetsouth

Jetsouth

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

The interview was almost plausible until he said something about Gmac..who got sacked 11 times...cryin out loud.

#36 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Can I ask how the extension is coming back to bite this team? What was the great opportunity for 2012 they missed out on by keeping him around? Not seeing what McElroy or Tebow could do all year? Is the team really screwed out of finding a QB this offseason because Sanchez is here or is it really because there's no truly obvious choice?

Edited by SenorGato, 14 February 2013 - 07:18 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#37 jason423

jason423

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Fwiw Sanchez received a raise in both cash and guarantees so it wasn't a net zero move. The jets paid him more mony to stay here over the same terms as his old deal. The bottom line is that I think they convinced themselves that he was Eli manning and that Eli's career was a normal progression. When Eli won a SB he got the richest contract in the game and Flacco is about to do the same. They thought they were getting Eli at 13 mil a year rather than the 21 mil a year Flacco will cost. Instead they got Joey Harrington for 13 mil a year because they refused to look at how bad he was. If they don't give him that deal tannenbaum still has a job

#38 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

If they don't give him that deal tannenbaum still has a job

I'm not sure I agree with that. If Sanchez had a good season then Tannenbaum still has a job. I really think that they looked at who was out there to draft or sign at QB over 2012 and 2013 and saw it for what it was/is: a whole lot of question marks in the group of realistic candidates. 

At least that money being allocated to Sanchez means they can't go do something stupid like look at Alex Pennington. 

#39 dbatesman

dbatesman

FUGGER

• Members
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

We can now hindsight something about how Russell Wilson of course...I'm sure this board would have been thrilled with the Jets picking a 5'11" QB with a third round pick last year (bc that matters).

"The fact that we could have had a franchise quarterback in the third round is irrelevant because non-Gato Jets fans wouldn't have been smart enough to appreciate the move at the time."

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#40 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

"The fact that we could have had a franchise quarterback in the third round is irrelevant because non-Gato Jets fans wouldn't have been smart enough to appreciate the move at the time."

"Franchise QB," and I would have been involved in the bitch fest. 

#41 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Fwiw Sanchez received a raise in both cash and guarantees so it wasn't a net zero move. The jets paid him more mony to stay here over the same terms as his old deal. The bottom line is that I think they convinced themselves that he was Eli manning and that Eli's career was a normal progression. When Eli won a SB he got the richest contract in the game and Flacco is about to do the same. They thought they were getting Eli at 13 mil a year rather than the 21 mil a year Flacco will cost. Instead they got Joey Harrington for 13 mil a year because they refused to look at how bad he was. If they don't give him that deal tannenbaum still has a job

Gotta admit, I'm still shocked Woody fired him.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#42 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

"Franchise QB," and I would have been involved in the bitch fest.

I grow wistful for the days when you were mocking us for not understanding how brilliant Brian Schottenheimer was.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#43 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,932 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I grow wistful for the days when you were mocking us for not understanding how brilliant Brian Schottenheimer was.

That might be part of the problem.  Having 26 turnovers under Schottenheimer when they opened it up a little bit is one thing.  Having 26 turnovers under Luigi and his simplified run the ball up the gut and don't turn it over offense is quite another.  I 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#44 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

lets not act like its set in stone that this years qb have no chance to do anything but suck. the draft is such an imperfect science that i find it slightly funny that all the draftniks and supposed draft gurus even get much recognition when they say this sh*t.  

there is talent in this class but it's not obvious talent. there's no clear franchise QB at 1. someone will find a starter or two in this class but it's gonna be a sleeper or whatever. It's not an easy class to find a QB. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#45 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

people often grow to believe their own propaganda. in a scapegoat organization like the jets have been, it's easy to convince yourself that the past is all on the guy you just threw under the bus. tanny and others probably actually believed that mark's lack of development was on schotty and that by moving on, mark would develop into his potential. it is much easier on the ego than admitting that they built their house on a cracked $50M foundation. 

Edited by jgb, 15 February 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#46 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,667 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

people often grow to believe their own propaganda. in a scapegoat organization like the jets have been, it's easy to convince yourself that the past is all on the guy you just threw under the bus. tanny and others probably actually believed that mark's lack of development was on schotty and that by moving on, mark would develop into his potential. it is much easier on the ego than admitting that they built their house on a cracked $50M foundation. 

Maybe.  Except Tannenbaum was the one who had just given Schottenheimer an extension before his last season here.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

#47 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

I don't buy the blame for Drafting Sanchez, the Draft is a crap shoot. It's the extension I have a problem with, Mark was still under contract, a smart G.M would have seen how 2012 was going and "If" Mark was playing well extend him, if not...

Instead we are saddled with him another year, we could have Traded for Flynn, or the kid at Philly, or Alex Smith. We are so cash strapped Matt Moore looks like a Joe Montana
Option compaired to Sanchez. The sad thing is Rex going to be the fall guy, we lose the Defence he runs. In 2014 the Bills will still have our Defensive scheme, and will have no D and no Q.B.

Edited by BurnleyJet, 17 February 2013 - 02:34 AM.

#48 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,667 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't buy the blame for Drafting Sanchez, the Draft is a crap shoot. It's the extension I have a problem with, Mark was still under contract, a smart G.M would have seen how 2012 was going and "If" Mark was playing well extend him, if not...

Perfectly put.

Every team drafts bad players.  The good ones don't extend the bad ones after a 4-year tryout.

This was an attempt to get Sanchez for cheaper than he would have been IF he dramatically turned his career around for the better.  Tannenbaum should have known that was never going to happen but bet on it anyway and it cost him his job.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

#49 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Perfectly put.

Every team drafts bad players.  The good ones don't extend the bad ones after a 4-year tryout.

This was an attempt to get Sanchez for cheaper than he would have been IF he dramatically turned his career around for the better.  Tannenbaum should have known that was never going to happen but bet on it anyway and it cost him his job.

my problem with this logic (and Jason's earlier comment) is that Tanny is out of a job if he doesn't extend Mark. the idea that the extension did him in... he's getting fired either way if Mark goes south. At the time of the extension Mark had 1 really bad year and 2 AFC CG playoff runs. It's a no lose move for Tanny to double down on Mark. Imagine Mark plays out his string, Tanny says to Woody "hey remember that 50 mil you put into Mark, I smartly made sure we didn't extend him. And... we need to do it again" He still gets fired. the extension wasn't why he got fired. Mark playing poorly is what got him fired. Conversely if Mark plays awesome in 2012 the extension isn't getting him fired in that scenario. It's all about Mark basically and how many people this guy can get fired before he leaves the Jets. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#50 dbatesman

dbatesman

FUGGER

• Members
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

We're really picking the fly sh*t out of the pepper at this point. Tannenbaum was a sh*tty drafter and a sh*tty capologist. He lost his job because he was an incompetent boob. All his individual mistakes are just symptoms.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users