Day One mini camp report from Cimini

faba

5:30
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeways from Day 1 of the New York Jets' minicamp: 

1. What a mess: Let's let Rex Ryan describe the day: "It got ugly out there." Did it ever. The two-hour practice was filled with penalties and dropped passes. As usual, there were game officials at practice and they were told to crack down on defensive holding calls, according to Ryan. The last segment of practice resembled last year's game against theBuffalo Bills, when they set a franchise record with 20 penalties. Linebacker Garrett McIntyre was flagged for holding, negating an interception. Looking at the silver lining, it was a good day for fitness. That is because the entire team dropped for 10 push ups after every penalty. 

2. Rookie yips: Rookie WR Shaq Evans, who missed the organized team activities (10 practices) because of school obligations, looked rusty and struggled mightily. He dropped two balls against air (no defense) and he dropped another in team drills. In between the mishaps, he made a nice sideline catch in a 7-on-7 drill. Not surprisingly, Evans, a fourth-round pick, was out of sync with the quarterbacks, resulting in miscommunications. Fellow fourth-round pick Jalen Saunders had a drop in 7-on-7s, but it was an overall solid practice. Sixth-round WR Quincy Enunwa, FB Tommy Bohanon and WR Eric Decker had one drop apiece. 

Smith
3. Your QB update: Despite the overall sloppiness, Geno Smith and Michael Vick managed to avoid any major blunders, meaning turnovers. Smith completed six of 10 passes, with a sack. 

Vick was 7-for-10, with a sack. He missed a couple of open receivers on deep throws, once underthrowing David Nelson with a fluttering pass that was nearly intercepted. Vick was intercepted in 7-on-7 drills, when he threw for Decker on a post route. Cornerback Dimitri Patterson made a great read and jumped the route. He's a cagey vet. Patterson figured out the route combination on that side of the field and knew Decker was going to break to the inside. On the positive side, Vick displayed some of his legendary mobility, scrambling away from pressure on at least two occasions. 

Obviously, individual stats don't mean much in minicamp. The division of reps sometimes tells you more about a player's progress -- or lack thereof. In the first team period, devoted to third down, Smith worked with the starters for six out of eight reps. Vick got the other two reps. In the second team period, devoted to the no-huddle, Smith got all 10 reps with the first-team offense. Get the picture? If the reps are divided the same way in training camp, it will be tough for Vick to supplant Smith, as the coaches have indicated. 

4. Impressive corner: Rookie Dexter McDougle, who got a late start in the offseason program because of a shoulder surgery from a college injury, continued to make plays. Working with the second-team defense, the third-round pick made at least two pass breakups. He's aggressive at the line of scrimmage, not afraid to engage with a receiver. "I think you saw a little of why we're so excited about him," Ryan said. McDougle and Darrin Walls were the second-team cornerbacks, behind Dee Milliner and Patterson. 

5. Odds and ends: Nice day for rookie DT Kerry Hyder, an undrafted free agent from Texas Tech. He had a sack and interception. He picked off Matt Simms on a screen pass. ... This was another mediocre practice for Simms, who is battling rookie Tajh Boyd for the No. 3 job. ... Rookie Calvin Pryor and Antonio Allen continued as the starting safety tandem, with veteran Dawan Landry on the second team. ... It looks like rookie TE Jace Amaro already is ahead of Jeff Cumberland in pass-oriented personnel packages. ... Five free agents were invited to participate on a tryout basis, including former Oakland Raiders fourth-round pickBruce Campbell, a tackle. The others: Punters Drew Butler and Jacon Schum, kickers Andrew Furney and Carson Wiggs and guard Ray Dominguez. 

6. Injury report: As expected, RB Chris Johnson (knee), RG Willie Colon (knee) and LBAntwan Barnes (knee) didn't participate in team drills. Johnson, who had surgery in January, participated in individual drills.

ahhhhhhh The first camp report. i just love this sh*t. 

I think it's going to be an interesting year of gritty and hard fought training camp battles. Should be a lot of fun. I like this Idzik competition theme.

Kerry Hyder was mentioned in the blog 4 times, all in the dates June-Oct 2013

There are stories every year about guys who get rated highly by the post draft scouting services (national and blesto, and, how proud we are of all of them). 

Hyder returns for his senior season after leading the Raiders in 2012 with 14 tackles for loss and sharing the team lead with 5.5 sacks. The defensive end will pair with Dartwan Bush, who also had 5.5 sacks in 2012, as a pass-rushing force in the up-tempo Big 12 next season. They will need to take the pressure up to a new level next fall to disrupt opposing offenses and get their high-powered offense back onto the field.

The 6-foot-2, 281-pound senior is a big, strong, disruptive force off the edge and will look to build on his strong Big 12 performance. His exploits were rewarded with All-Big 12 honors in 2012 (first-team by the media, second-team by coaches). He has worked his way onto NFLscouts’ radars and could become one of the early names to get called in the 2014 NFL draft with another strong season in 2013.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2013/06/23/kerry-hyder-bringing-the-pressure-for-texas-tech-red-raiders-in-2013/

Texas Tech has had only one defensive player drafted in the first three rounds since 2000. That may well change next May with defensive lineman Kerry Hyder, who is already at the center of a dramatic turnaround for the Red Raiders.

Hyder had 1.5 tackles for loss in a 33-7 win over Texas State and also forced a fumble that ended up in the hands of teammate Will Smith for a nine-yard touchdown, Texas Tech's first defensive score since 2011.

That kind of quick, disruptive play is the perfect way to counteract spread offenses that permeate the Big 12 and whose concepts are now filtering up to the NFL. With experience at end and now tackle, Hyder would also offer scheme versatility.Playing inside in the new 3-4 defense installed by coordinator Matt Wallerstedt, Hyder has a team-high five tackles for loss and two forced fumbles this season. The 6-foot-2, 280-pound redshirt senior, now has 22 tackles for loss with seven sacks over the past two seasons.

More importantly, it could allow Texas Tech to be a factor in the wide-open conference race. First-year head coach Kliff Kingsbury's Air Raid offense is going to be effective no matter who plays quarterback, be it walk-on freshman Baker Mayfield, true freshman Davis Webb or sophomore Michael Brewer. Brewer is set to return soon after being sidelined with a back injury, Kingsbury said during the Big 12 weekly teleconference Monday.

Hyder and the defense already showed it could carry its weight in a 20-10 win over TCU. Assuming the offense delivers in its usual high-flying fashion during the rest of the Big 12 slate, merely slowing down the opposition could be enough to secure a special season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000249690/article/kerry-hyder-leads-resurgent-texas-tech-defense

Texas Tech’s Kerry Hyder was rewarded with first-team All-Big 12 recognition last season after he led the league’s defensive tackles in sacks (six) and tackles for loss (14).

Now a senior, Hyder’s on pace to top his tackles for loss number with 10 through the first seven games. Nationally, only two players listed as defensive tackles or nose tackles — Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald and Wake Forest’s Nikita Whitlock, a Texan from Wylie — have more TFLs.

“I wouldn’t trade him for anybody,” Tech defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt said of Hyder. “He’s done a great job.”

Hyder, a senior from Austin LBJ, says he should be producing even more, though.

“I’ve left a lot of plays out there on the field,” he said. “I feel like I could have already hit my numbers that I hit last year. I’m actually disappointed right now in my play so far. I feel like I can do much better in the second part of the season.”

No. 10 Tech (7-0, 4-0 in the Big 12) visits No. 17 Oklahoma (6-1, 3-1) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, and Hyder figures to have one of the key matchups. He’s likely to knock heads at different times with Sooners center Gabe Ikard, who was first-team All-Big 12 last year, and guards Bronson Irwin and Adam Shead, both of whom are returning starters.

“They’ve got a good offensive line — a great core,” Hyder said. “The center, Gabe, is a real great player. I expect them to come out and be physical like they always are.”

The 6-foot-2 Hyder is playing at about 290 pounds. He added about 10 pounds since last year, hoping to make himself more of an NFL prospect.

New Tech defensive line coach John Scott Jr. spent the last three years at Georgia Southern, coaching three-time FCS all-American Brent Russell, who’s about the same size as Hyder.

“The thing I like about Kerry is he’s so (quick-twitch), and he feels things,” Scott said. “He’s able to see it before it happens sometimes, just anticipate, and that’s what you want in a defensive lineman.”

Opposing teams can’t be sure at which spot the Red Raiders will deploy Hyder. Tech’s staff uses several defensive linemen at more than one position. Hyder and Jackson Richards have played defensive tackle and noseguard, and Dartwan Bush has played defensive tackle and defensive end.

“As we watch it as coaches, we may see a certain matchup that we want or a certain weakness that we can exploit,” Scott said. “We try to put our best on their worst or our best on a matchup that we can expose. It can change series by series. It can change play by play. When you’ve got guys that can play multiple positions, it allows you to do more.”

http://redraiders.com/interact/blog-post/don-williams/2013-10-23/techs-hyder-third-among-dts-national-stat-category#.U6DFuPldXa6

DT Kerry Hyder (6-2, 281, 4.97)

One of the big changes with new coach Kliff Kingsbury taking over in Lubbock is on defense with Texas Tech transitioning to a 3-4 formation. The change should benefit Hyder, who, according to his defensive line coach, John Scott, is “good enough to play all three [defensive line] positions across the board.” He arrived at Tech as a 230-pound linebacker but was moved to the trenches and bulked up, seeing playing time at both end and tackle the past few seasons. Hyder earned second team All-Big 12 honors last season with a team-best 14 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks, adding a career-best 56 tackles and four pass breakups. He doesn't have the build or bulk to take on double teams and overwhelm blockers with power, but he's twitchy for a player his size with excellent first-step quickness. Hyder stands out on film with his agile footwork and lateral explosion to burst past blockers with controlled chaos to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. There will be some questions about where his best position will be at the next level, but he has the versatility to give scouts a peek at several spots in 2013. The glue of the Tech defense, Hyder will see playing time up and down the defensive line as a senior and, despite his tweener skill set, the NFL will love his energy and disruptive nature to live behind the line of scrimmage.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/22781713/nfl-draft-texas-tech-preview

not mentioned in the report; basically any jet that did well

100 guys out there and only 2 guys played better then sucky ?

That's the beauty of camp reports.  While granted there are exceptions, like lots of penalties in practice are what they are and never good, a practice can be portrayed in whatever manner the writer wants it to be.  For example, would we get to hear an article focusing on the great practice some rookie WR had, or hardly a mention of the guy while getting a detailed explanation of the failures of the DB he lined up against?  When a team is playing against itself, for every positive play that is made, there's a negative one you can find by looking for the guy who let that play be made.

Sure, there are certain individual players' performances that may be worth keeping track of over the course of the entire process, but to try to breakdown every snap of every practice isn't going to tell you much of anything.  For us diehard football junkies it's nice to have something to read, but these writers have the freedom to carry on in whatever manner they want it to sound like.

It's a crime he was never given a fair shot!!!

Baloney, we treated him the way you are supposed to treat every developmental QB with a future in this league.  We left him on the bench to learn from watching.  At least that is what I have read on this board as the preferable way to develop a QB.

Baloney, we treated him the way you are supposed to treat every developmental QB with a future in this league.  We left him on the bench to learn from watching.  At least that is what I have read on this board as the preferable way to develop a QB.

I was joking. Matt Simms is a waste of space. 

• 5 months later...

Archived