Now Milliner goes down!!!

pointman

Petulant is a better description of you on this board than it is Woody Johnson.

The decision was made on Revis when we traded him to Tampa Bay.  We didn't want to deal with him anymore, for a number of reasons.  Him "wanting to return" was nonsense eaten up by people with an agenda.  He signed with the Pats within a half hour of his release, not the move of someone who really, really wants to be a Jet.

His camp reached out to the Jets and were told there was no interest. Because, **** us, lets play against him right?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His camp reached out to the Jets and were told there was no interest. Because, **** us, lets play against him right?

Even if this was true, if him playing for the Jets was such a priority, he wouldn't have had a contract negotiated and signed within 30 minutes of his release and one of his PR team tweeting that a deal was getting done within 10.  If the Jets were where he really wanted to play, he had a lot of options besides running and taking the first deal he could... It's not like he even shopped around.  Frankly, it much more realistic that he wanted to get this drama queen fan base all worked up, which was done quite successfully.  But this deal with the Pats had quite obviously been in the works for some time.

DRC has been on what, 5 teams, and has had 1 good year?  Revis wasn't happening.  Verner wasn't a scheme fit.  Davis made sense, and reportedly there was an effort, but he ended up staying with his prior team, which you can't blame him or Idzik for.

Yeah, Davis is the one guy I would have loved to get even if we had to overpay a little.  Otherwise we're just blaming Idzik for injuries.

Even if this was true, if him playing for the Jets was such a priority, he wouldn't have had a contract negotiated and signed within 30 minutes of his release and one of his PR team tweeting that a deal was getting done within 10.  If the Jets were where he really wanted to play, he had a lot of options besides running and taking the first deal he could... It's not like he even shopped around.  Frankly, it much more realistic that he wanted to get this drama queen fan base all worked up, which was done quite successfully.  But this deal with the Pats had quite obviously been in the works for some time.

He owes the jets nothing. They had to go out and make an effort to get him, not visa versa. And they didn't. 

I meant, there you are, as I fixed the statement for you.

We tried to improve the line, with drafted players.  We didn't add a high priced guard.  That is true.  We made a lateral move at RT, so otherwise, we are taking about paying big money for a guard.  It's ok not to do that.

And, who are these players?  "Fix the offensive line" is a nice idea.  With who?

you pro idzik guys keep thinking it was a lateral move at right tackle.dude cant pass block worth a damn. nevermind that he missed half a season due to injury. there were a few moderately priced,young,experienced guards available during free agency. I don't feel a need to re-hash names,as it was done to death during the free agency period..yes,idzik added plenty of late round projects over his 2 years. if you call the "hope and pray" method of improving the offensive line a good job by idzik, I don't what to tell you. don't get me started on willie colon. almost average player that cant finish a season

Yeah, Davis is the one guy I would have loved to get even if we had to overpay a little.  Otherwise we're just blaming Idzik for injuries.

Yeah, I said that at the time.  I wanted Davis.  But, at the end of the day, Davis returned to his former team, a who could offer him a good contract and a shot at a championship.  I don't blame Davis and I don't blame the Jets for that one.  I also don't blame the Jets for failing to land a top target and not going into panic mode and taking a guy who don't really want.

if they aren't sure that Geno is the franchise QB, why not draft Johnny? 

They are trying to have it both ways, not spending because Geno isn't ready and then stacking the "competition" in reps so Geno wins it, despite probably not being the best QB on the roster.

Sir,yes, sir. 

A safety? W T F. 

if they aren't sure that Geno is the franchise QB, why not draft Johnny?

Sir,yes, sir. 

A safety? W T F. 

Probably because Idzik did not think Manziel is a franchise QB either.  We're about to head into a QB class that contains 3 prospects that are all valued higher than Manziel, yet we're supposed to burn our 1st rounder on a human distraction reel?

We've been missing an impact safety since Landry.  Something Bitonti complained about profusely when we let Landry go.  Consistency is not Bit's strong point; hitch yourself to a different wagon there Bugg.

Cap space carries over. It's not going to waste. If leaving 30 million off the books that just expired at the end of the year is what is happening you are 100% right...but it's not. Getting DRC or whoever you guys want is not making this team a super-bowl contending team this year no matter how hopeful you are about this roster. It's also very plausible if not probable that Geno only makes an incremental improvement and we're left with having to draft another QB next year and have to reset the clock once again. If he's great, then load up the team next year by all means.

The league also mandates that from 2013-2017 that teams spend 89 percent of the cap allotment over that period. So guess what, they are FORCED to spend unused cap space over the next two seasons.

I'd like to know what is the actual rush to 'have to win" this season? Most if not all our key positions are filled with young players right now. I get it as a fan that this franchise has historically sucked the big one since 1969, but that shouldn't be a factor for evaluating someone running a rebuild since last year. Those contracts and players and games are all sunk costs that should have no bearing on this current team and management.

Winnig  NFL football games is overrated anyway.Who would want to do that? 

Look, there is this thought process that if you build the right way, through the draft, some fine day all the piees will come together and fortune will smile on your franchise like some mystic Knights of the Round Table happy story.

That is BS on a shingle with a side of nonsense. MAy be pre-free agency the Cowboys and Steelers could stash guys on the roster forever and you had little choice but to try to stockpile talent. Now that talent up and leaves after 2 or 3 years if you aren't paying the freight. That's way over. Eery year is another shot. And if you passively sit there hoping some fine day it will all come together you are officially batsheet crazy stupid. It's a GM's job to go out and get other team's such castoffs and meld them to your roster. If he's too high and mighty to deign to mix with the rabble to get those guys  or (more likely) the owner too cheap, that is a recipe for failure. 

Probably because Idzik did not think Manziel is a franchise QB either.  We're about to head into a QB class that contains 3 prospects that are all valued higher than Manziel, yet we're supposed to burn our 1st rounder on a human distraction reel?

We've been missing an impact safety since Landry.  Something Bitonti complained about profusely when we let Landry go.  Consistency is not Bit's strong point; hitch yourself to a different wagon there Bugg.

Did any of them hang 600 yards on an almost pro defense like Bama? Could Geno do that today? 

instead the jets burned a 1st rounder on a safety whos main attributes have been outlawed in the nfl

Winnig  NFL football games is overrated anyway.Who would want to do that? 

Look, there is this thought process that if you build the right way, through the draft, some fine day all the piees will come together and fortune will smile on your franchise like some mystic Knights of the Round Table happy story.

That is BS on a shingle with a side of nonsense. MAy be pre-free agency the Cowboys and Steelers could stash guys on the roster forever and you had little choice but to try to stockpile talent. Now that talent up and leaves after 2 or 3 years if you aren't paying the freight. That's way over. Eery year is another shot. And if you passively sit there hoping some fine day it will all come together you are officially batsheet crazy stupid. It's a GM's job to go out and get other team's such castoffs and meld them to your roster. If he's too high and mighty to deign to mix with the rabble to get those guys  or (more likely) the owner too cheap, that is a recipe for failure. 

What he said. 

As in what exactly is this time constraint we have that we have to go all in to win this season? Our players are young. Denver and NE have aging players at key spots that need to win now the SB now. They're the ones that can use up as much of their cap space as possible.

Every move Idzik has made since he's come here has happened with an eye on 2015 and beyond.  Which is why he didn't give Revis the time of day; bringing in a guy like that prevents you from seeing what your young players can do (such as Milliner facing WR1's and young CB's getting a shot at the # 2 job) and who will be gone in a year or 2 is not a move you make for a team that isn't Super Bowl-ready.

These injuries could be a blessing in disguise.  We get to see more of our young guys and we also get to see what Rex's DL is made of.  If they can't put pressure on the QB with some consistency we are going to be in trouble regardless of which CB's are healthy.

Every move Idzik has made since he's come here has happened with an eye on 2015 and beyond. Which is why he didn't give Revis the time of day; bringing in a guy like that prevents you from seeing what your young players can do (such as Milliner facing WR1's and young CB's getting a shot at the # 2 job) and who will be gone in a year or 2 is not a move you make for a team that isn't Super Bowl-ready.

Here is my take on that line of thought, which I get but disagree with:

It's a reasonable request in baseball. Long seasons and it's a cheap sport to follow. But Football? Where you ask fans to pay several thousand dollars just to have the right to buy seats? Front offices lost the right to set that expectation for fans. And they lost it a while ago.

It's a reasonable request in baseball. Long seasons and it's a cheap sport to follow. But Football? Where you ask fans to pay several thousand dollars just to have the right to buy seats? Front offices lost the right to set that expectation for fans. And they lost it a while ago.

Spending to appease the fans is a poor decision.  Tannenbaum tried it and ultimately failed.  Idzik is out to make us a perennial contender and thus maximize his job security for as long as possible.  He's also shown he doesn't give a sh** what the fans want.  It's the only way to be a GM, really.  No one was going to buy a PSL because we signed Alterraun Verner.

Spending to appease the fans is a poor decision.  Tannenbaum tried it and ultimately failed.  Idzik is out to make us a perennial contender and thus maximize his job security for as long as possible.  He's also shown he doesn't give a sh** what the fans want.  It's the only way to be a GM, really.  No one was going to buy a PSL because we signed Alterraun Verner.

You can say this all you want till he actually starts winning and putting a good team on the field. We're still waiting. 

Spending to appease the fans is a poor decision. Tannenbaum tried it and ultimately failed. Idzik is out to make us a perennial contender and thus maximize his job security for as long as possible. He's also shown he doesn't give a sh** what the fans want. It's the only way to be a GM, really. No one was going to buy a PSL because we signed Alterraun Verner.

Never said you have to spend. Just that you can't charge a father a full week's salary to take his kid to a game while telling him "hey, we're not really trying to win until 2016." I don't know where the middle ground is, but that excuse is unacceptable.

You can say this all you want till he actually starts winning and putting a good team on the field. We're still waiting. 

He stripped the roster bare and we still found a way to win 8 games last season, playing our best football in the final quarter of the season.  His first draft pick was Rookie of the Month in December and his 2nd draft pick was Defensive Rookie of the Year.  Say what you will about Geno, but he was the top-rated QB prospect from the 2013 draft and he did win an Offensive Player of the Week award in the Atlanta game.

This offseason he signed the top WR on the free agent market, one of the top RB's, added QB competition and didn't needlessly give away draft picks, allowing us to add talent at many different positions on the field. 

I get the impatience but if you can't find some reasons to be positive about the direction our team is going I suggest you take a look at what happened to this team in 2011-12.  Putting together a perennial contender takes a lot of time to create and is quite easy to tear down if all you do is go after quick fixes.

Never said you have to spend. Just that you can't charge a father a full week's salary to take his kid to a game while telling him "hey, we're not really trying to win until 2016." I don't know where the middle ground is, but that excuse is unacceptable.

Woody Johnson is a horrid owner and there's absolutely no reason why ticket prices should be so obscene.  But independent of that I think Idzik is doing a good job crafting the roster.  He isn't asking for patience at all, and understands there's no one move he needs to be making to try to get fans to show up.  He needs to look long-term, get the team headed in a positive direction, and THEN he can look to spend heavily. 

In the meantime I wish he had some balls to tell Woody he needs to make it easier for the Average Joe to make it to a game.

He stripped the roster bare and we still found a way to win 8 games last season, playing our best football in the final quarter of the season.  His first draft pick was Rookie of the Month in December and his 2nd draft pick was Defensive Rookie of the Year.  Say what you will about Geno, but he was the top-rated QB prospect from the 2013 draft and he did win an Offensive Player of the Week award in the Atlanta game.

This offseason he signed the top WR on the free agent market, one of the top RB's, added QB competition and didn't needlessly give away draft picks, allowing us to add talent at many different positions on the field. 

I get the impatience but if you can't find some reasons to be positive about the direction our team is going I suggest you take a look at what happened to this team in 2011-12.  Putting together a perennial contender takes a lot of time to create and is quite easy to tear down if all you do is go after quick fixes.

This is the lime green jets colored glasses story. But it's only one side. Even you know that. 

As in what exactly is this time constraint we have that we have to go all in to win this season? Our players are young. Denver and NE have aging players at key spots that need to win now the SB now. They're the ones that can use up as much of their cap space as possible.

this hole you are digging yourself just keeps getting deeper and deeper

Archived