Alvin "Bud" Dupree

SenorGato

If Bud is his nickname for anything other than weed, this is possibly a legit option for 6.

Basic measurements:

6'4" 269

32.63" Arm Length

9.75" Hands

4.56 40

42" Vert

138" Broad

24 sacks, 12 hurries, 1 INT, a combined 11 PDs/FFs/BKs in college

Hurts himself a litle by not doing the three cone or even the shuttle, which is why I say possible rather than clearly in the convo for 6.

Anyway, Football Outsiders' Matt Waldman took a look at Dupree (along with teammate Smith) here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2015/futures-kentucky-edge-men-bud-dupree-and-zadarius-smith

One is a physical freak of nature. Few human beings in the world weigh 269 pounds, run a 4.56-second 40-yard dash, sport a 42-inch vertical jump, and are capable of a 138-inch broad jump – which, by the way, is one of the three best performances at the NFL Combine in 15 years.

The article has too many clips to post the whole thing but some of the words on Dupree:

Watch it the first time and notice how few steps Dupree (No. 2) needs to force the right tackle to open his hips to protect the edge. It's a lot like watching a cornerback cover Randy Moss in his prime and getting intimidated into bailing deep after just a few steps and giving up the first down on an easy stop route

Dupree is not only fast, but he's fluid. The open gate of the tackle's hips is enough for Dupree to slip inside. Two steps later the defender is a split-second from swatting the ball from the quarterback.

Two steps. Swat. Fumble.

Lots to see, but not much to say beyond the fact that Dupree is flexible, strong, and covers a lot of ground fast. Beyond a chop or swat of an opponent's arms, there's not much refinement to Dupree's pass rushing. Then again, there wasn't much refined about wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin and his athleticism put him in position for a successful rookie year, despite numerous technical and conceptual errors with releases and routes that receivers lacking his physical advantages would not transcend as frequently.

Dupree displays smarts at the beginning of this run. The end displays the patience to stay inside, allowing the fullback to pass outside him and through the crease, and then attacking the runner.

Waldman seems to like his teammate just as much, if not more but as a different kind of player. I liked Dupree some before the combine, he was a really serious prospect before that, but now he's got to be right in that non-Leonard Williams group of defensive players in this draft.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dupree is interesting, but why didn't he have more production? 7.5 sacks last year, 23.5 in four years. Might be a workout warrior type.

I'm a little leery of that and a little leery of not doing the three cone and shuttle. DeMarcus Ware came out with only 27.5 sacks in college, but four is a pretty big difference here.

I don't even know anything about Randy Gregory either. I see NFL.com compares him to Dion Jordan, but he's more physical than that. Makes me wonder since I thought he was being overrated.

I'm a little leery of that and a little leery of not doing the three cone and shuttle. DeMarcus Ware came out with only 27.5 sacks in college, but four is a pretty big difference.

:shrugs:

I really don't know what to make of him or Gregory.

And Justin Houston had 20 sacks in 3 years of college had 22 last season alone.. I'm impressed when they do it in the NFL..

I'm a little leery of that and a little leery of not doing the three cone and shuttle. DeMarcus Ware came out with only 27.5 sacks in college, but four is a pretty big difference here.

I don't even know anything about Randy Gregory either. I see NFL.com compares him to Dion Jordan, but he's more physical than that. Makes me wonder since I thought he was being overrated.

This sentiment is the exact reason I am Soooo happy to finally have a GM with a strong scouting background in charge.

We can all go back and forth with which player we think will have a great career, but these guys break down film night and day for 2 months just to get this right.

I doubt Idzik and Tanny were breaking down film. They were depending on Bradway who worked from home quite a bit!

What a waste of 12 freakin' picks last year!

Film don't lie!

Dupree is interesting, but why didn't he have more production? 7.5 sacks last year, 23.5 in four years. Might be a workout warrior type.

BTW I don't think 7.5 last year is much of an issue. Sucks he didn't have the big sack season, but it's not a knock. The 4 year total got to me more than the single year.

Yeah, they actually do.

Justin Houston ran a 4.7. Dumervil ran a 4.7. Suggs I think ran a 4.9. Hali ran a 4.9. You get the picture. How many sacks does Dion Jordan have? Or Mingo? They had way better workouts than Ansah who easily outproduced them at the next level in terms of pass rushing.

Justin Houston ran a 4.7. Dumervil ran a 4.7. Suggs I think ran a 4.9. Hali ran a 4.9. You get the picture. How many sacks does Dion Jordan have? Or Mingo? They had way better workouts than Ansah who easily outproduced them at the next level in terms of pass rushing.

They once asked 6th rd pick Klecko what his 40 time was.. He said what does it matter the QB isn't 40 yds away.. :winking0001:

Houston had a monster combine. Mingo and Jordan had poor ones. Nobody is pounding the table for Dupree because of his 40 time.

Skill beats size, heart beats talent. We need more Klecko's in this league and less Gholston's.

Dupree would pass there too. He's got a good reputation as far as the whole locker room and work ethic stuff is concerned.

Justin Houston led his group in the broad jump, vertical and bench press....sub-7 3-cone at 270 too...and 34 inch arms with huge hands. Beast.

Archived