Alvin "Bud" Dupree

SenorGato

Yeah, some think Kikaha might slip a bit due to questions on injuries/athleticism but productive pass rushers tend to translate. There are definitely scenarios where they don't go OLB in the first two rounds and if that happens and Kikaha slips a bit I wouldn't mind if they pounce. Injuries are the bigger concern with him IMO.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kikaha isn't really the kind of player that would be in the conversation at 6 but I think he's really good. Similar to Bjoern Werner when he was coming out. Not a great athlete compared to a lot of these other guys but he's just good at everything. The board still looks like tackle all day in the second but this guy would be a good pick if we go WR in the first.

Aren't his knees a plate of spaghetti?

One thing that's interesting to me is how popular Fowler is.

There seem to be no production question marks for him, but he had 1 more sack than Dupree last year and only 14.5 total for his three year college career. Plus 3 of those 8.5 sacks last year came against East Carolina.

Fowler's certainly a good prospect, but the seemingly universal love for him confuses me a bit.

One thing that's interesting to me is how popular Fowler is.

There seem to be no production question marks for him, but he had 1 more sack than Dupree last year and only 14.5 total for his three year college career. Plus 3 of those 8.5 sacks last year came against East Carolina.

Fowler's certainly a good prospect, but the seemingly universal love for him confuses me a bit.

I would imagine a lot of his lack of production would come from playing all over Florida's defensive line: he played DT and DE as well as OLB. I think he's probably the best example of a kid who's going to be better in the pros than in college, and he was pretty damned good in college.  I can't really speak on Bud, I think I watched one or two Kentucky games all year and it certainly wasn't because I was actively watching Kentucky, but the kid is an athletic freak. 

I had Harold go to the Jets in the 2nd in my last mock.  

others have done the same 

that usually means he goes late 1 

the pass rushers will go quickly and teams looking for an option at the start or 2 will probably be sad

I would imagine a lot of his lack of production would come from playing all over Florida's defensive line: he played DT and DE as well as OLB. I think he's probably the best example of a kid who's going to be better in the pros than in college, and he was pretty damned good in college. I can't really speak on Bud, I think I watched one or two Kentucky games all year and it certainly wasn't because I was actively watching Kentucky, but the kid is an athletic freak.

It's not that I haven't watched Fowler, I'm aware of how much he was moved around. Just not sure why he gets a pass on the lack of production. I didn't think he really consistently impacted plays either. Maybe I just watched some bad games, I dunno.

It's not that I haven't watched Fowler, I'm aware of how much he was moved around. Just not sure why he gets a pass on the lack of production. I didn't think he really consistently impacted plays either. Maybe I just watched some bad games, I dunno.

Well, you wouldn't exactly expect him to have the same level of statistical production given that he played a number of snaps at DT etc. compared to another player who primarily played as an OLB right?

I've been wondering the same thing myself.

Hau'oli Kikaha (washington)

6'2

32 1/2 arm length

No on field drills at the combine (Illness. Pro Day is April 2nd)

Sacks last two years 19, 13

Kikaha had two ACL tears early in his college career but has played in all but 1 game the last two years and has racked up 32 sacks in his last 26 games and had 14 consecutive games where he registered a sack. That streak ended this past Nov. 15th against Arizona, after that game he went on a 3 game sack streak to end his college career.

I wonder about physicality and durability, definitely not an option for 6. His production is undeniable. NFL.com compares him to Ninkovich, which is probably reasonable and worth having.

Well, you wouldn't exactly expect him to have the same level of statistical production given that he played a number of snaps at DT etc. compared to another player who primarily played as an OLB right?

That's exactly why. And he actually did produce if you consider the positions he was often playing. It was frustrating as a fan. He would line up on the edge, get a sack or tackle for loss and then the next play is lined up on under the center.

He was very productive for that defense. Made plays all over the field. Look at his stats compared to the rest of the team. He was the heart of those defenses that were very good. Not a lone player on a bad defense making all the plays.

His college stats are better than Justin Houston.

Eh...wasn't like coaches film I guess, but both guys look like beasts.

Duprees first three steps look like lights out.

Fowlers all over the place.

I'd be damn happy with either one. Feels like forever since we've had a legit pass rush presence on the edge.

I wonder about physicality and durability, definitely not an option for 6. His production is undeniable. NFL.com compares him to a Ninkovich type, which is probably reasonable and worth having.

Definitely an option at #5 in the 2nd round. questions about his durability is legit, though he did play two years straight after those ACL tears. Guy plays super smart, can rush the passer and drop down into coverage. Whoever drafts this guy is going to get a good football player.

No. But it's not the end of the world either. Playing defensive tackle with his size, strength, and athleticism should give him an opportunity to go up against guards who should be substantially inferior athletically. Guys like Aldon Smith and Melvin Ingram made a killing kicking inside to play against guards in college. 

That's exactly why. And he actually did produce if you consider the positions he was often playing. It was frustrating as a fan. He would line up on the edge, get a sack or tackle for loss and then the next play is lined up on under the center.

He was very productive for that defense. Made plays all over the field. Look at his stats compared to the rest of the team. He was the heart of those defenses that were very good. Not a lone player on a bad defense making all the plays.

His college stats are better than Justin Houston.

Sack wise, they're not better than Houston's actually. And Houston went what, in the third round?

Again, I think I think he's a very good prospect. Potentially worthy of taking at 6. But he's made out to be a can't miss guy, and that I don't see. Could easily see him being a versatile guy who has a level of production in the pros but never becomes an elite pass rusher - kind of a-la Bryan Thomas which is a comp I've seen throw out there. Maybe not. I don't know. But I don't think he's a can't miss double digit sack annually guy.

No. But it's not the end of the world either. Playing defensive tackle with his size, strength, and athleticism should give him an opportunity to go up against guards who should be substantially inferior athletically. Guys like Aldon Smith and Melvin Ingram made a killing kicking inside to play against guards in college. 

Sack wise, they're not better than Houston's actually. And Houston went what, in the third round?

Again, I think I think he's a very good prospect. Potentially worthy of taking at 6. But he's made out to be a can't miss guy, and that I don't see. Could easily see him being a versatile guy who has a level of production in the pros but never becomes an elite pass rusher - kind of a-la Bryan Thomas which is a comp I've seen throw out there. Maybe not. I don't know. But I don't think he's a can't miss double digit sack annually guy.

Actually I have and Bryan Thomas is exactly who Bud Dupree reminds me of.

Houston had what, a sack more and I meant career wise but either way that wasn't the point.

Is there ever a can't miss double digit sack annually? I get your concern, part of me wonders if I werent a gator if I'd prefer Dupree. Probably but getting to watch Fowler every week was a lot of fun. Guy was incredible. He can just completely devistate an oline and disrupt an offenses rythym.

Houston had what, a sack more and I meant career wise but either way that wasn't the point.

Is there ever a can't miss double digit sack annually? I get your concern, part of me wonders if I werent a gator if I'd prefer Dupree. Probably but getting to watch Fowler every week was a lot of fun. Guy was incredible. He can just completely devistate an oline and disrupt an offenses rythym.

Houston had a sack and a half more as a junior, actually five and a half more career wise if the site I'm looking at is correct.

Again, definitely think he's a solid prospect. I'd take him over Dupree and I'm not a Florida fan. It's just weird that everybody wants Fowler and nobody questions the 14.5 career sacks, etc. The draft is more fun when there's some lively debate.

others have done the same 

that usually means he goes late 1 

the pass rushers will go quickly and teams looking for an option at the start or 2 will probably be sad

Eh?  that usually means he goes late one?  Why would you say that?  There are a lot of good prospecfs and this is the normal silly comment provijding no context.  It is amazing this time of year that 40 players are go in the 1st round.

Houston had a sack and a half more as a junior, actually five and a half more career wise if the site I'm looking at is correct.

Again, definitely think he's a solid prospect. I'd take him over Dupree and I'm not a Florida fan. It's just weird that everybody wants Fowler and nobody questions the 14.5 career sacks, etc. The draft is more fun when there's some lively debate.

You're right.  I was looking at the wrong stats.  But again, if your comparing his stats to the rest of the team, they stand out.  Lots of tackles for loss, FF, sacks, etc.  He makes plays and he makes them at numerous different positions.  And his stats were absolutely impacted by the way he was used.

All I can say as someone who's watched every game he played in college is he's an extremely disruptive force.  He can take over a game and completely throw off the rhythm of the offense. 

Id be happy with the teams decision on Beasley, Dupree and Fowler..if they picked someone other than those three, I'd be bummed. I've been screaming for an edge presence for years.

Who, of the OLBs, has the best combination of...

1) quickest burst from stance or standing?

2) pass coverage skills?

3) weight?

4) gets off blocks?

Archived