Report: Goodell considers Brady's Deflategate role a serious violation

Jet Fan RI

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know Brady will appeal so we can get this settled by the arbitrator

Can someone explain to me how Brady appealing will reduce the punishment?  If he appealed wouldn't the NFL just say "OK, are you going to cooperate and hand over the evidence we are asking for now?"  Brady of course won't and then there is nothing to appeal.  

Am I missing something here?

The punishment needs to be severe because the cheating was successful.

If the punishment is weak, everyone will laugh and say it was worth it to win a Super Bowl.

yup.  had this discussion with a friend yesterday.  that is what is on the line here. 

tom autographed balls and game worn jersies.  they are clearly in exhchange for the deflation.  mcnally clearly s uncomfortable with being told to break the rules, so he makes it clear he wants payments.  they even discuss his shoe size to make sure the expensive kicks are the right size

so we can add bribery and conspiracy to the list

bribery

conspiracy

cheating

lying

impeding an investigation

yup. sounds like a first ballot hall of famer to me

This is window dressing because NFL and Goodell think the general football fan is that gullible.

So we will see how many games Brady is suspended.

But what we already know is BB is walking away scot free for a second violation. If Brady and BB are punished and suspended for a atleast a season and the PAts docked their first round picks for the next 3 years we can say that the Goodell was serious about protecting the integrity of the game.

Anything less than that and it's essentially HAVING to do stuff to that makes it look's right rather than any serious intent on protecting the integrity of the game.

agreed 100%.

And add to that Brady's lawyer came out and tried to create a conspiracy against Brady and the Pats. Their response has been ridiculous and is surely making things worse. Which I'm totqlly ok with

I laugh sometimes when people say big time firms are always best. It is a joke!!!

If I had the money I would get Gerry Spence he would never come up with the silliness these guys sometimes do.

This is window dressing because NFL and Goodell think the general football fan is that gullible.

So we will see how many games Brady is suspended.

But what we already know is BB is walking away scot free for a second violation. If Brady and BB are punished and suspended for a atleast a season and the PAts docked their first round picks for the next 3 years we can say that the Goodell was serious about protecting the integrity of the game.

Anything less than that and it's essentially HAVING to do stuff to that makes it look's right rather than any serious intent on protecting the integrity of the game.

I think we're going to see a strong penalty.  I think you're a little agressive...but my guess is a 1st round pick...8 games for Brady and 2 for BB...

I'm one of the few that thinks BB gets hit here but I do believe he will...

Should it be more, yes...but I would be happy with this outcome...

I'm still reading the non-technical parts of the report myself. But the texts between the equipment men mention cash, sneakers, and signed game-used paraphernalia from Brady.

Peter King in his apologist rant on ESPN had the gall to say Brady signs tons of memorabila and that it was unlikely that Brady would therefore have offered to do this. He said this never mentioning the texts from the equipment guys specifically indicating that this was the payment.

What a joke!!!

I think we're going to see a strong penalty.  I think you're a little agressive...but my guess is a 1st round pick...8 games for Brady and 2 for BB...

I am being very realistic here.

Anyone who thinks this deflation started from last season is grossly mistaken. This cheating has been going on for years. Brady needs to be suspended for one season at the minimum for a cheating violation sacrificing the integrity of the game for multiple seasons.

Anyone who think's that Brady was doing this without the explicit knowledge of BB is also mistaken. This is the second time BB is caught cheating. Infact the punishment he is handed out should be much more severe than Brady. So asking his punishment to match that of Brady is giving him a HUGE break.

Again the Pats organization has been in the midst of these scandals far too often. If the league is serious about the integrity of the game than the punishment to the Pats should make it clear that the league will not stand for cheating team.

Anything less is just varying the degree of intensity that slap on the wrist is going to be.

Peter King in his apologist rant on ESPN had the gall to say Brady signs tons of memorabila and that it was unlikely that Brady would therefore have offered to do this. He said this never mentioning the texts from the equipment guys specifically indicating that this was the payment.

What a joke!!!

If you gotta a problem with Peter King you can email him at Peter_King@Krafts_ahole.com.

More than that. He also did not fully cooperate with the investigation, a violation that warrants punishment just for that.

That's a tricky one, though.  The league can't really punish a player for not turning over his phone because otherwise you are giving the league de facto subpoena power when the union has already bargained for no such power. 

What a joke!!!

In this situation Peter King's words should be taken no more seriously than his lawyers and parents.  Especially since the threat came down from BB - Peter King is their favored child - he's not going to turn on the Golden Goose.

What is a shame is that many fans in other markets don't know King is a shill...So they'll take his word as a legitimate opinion.

That's a tricky one, though.  The league can't really punish a player for not turning over his phone because otherwise you are giving the league de facto subpoena power when the union has already bargained for no such power. 

Actually there's a policy stating just that - players need to assist in any investigation.  By not turning over his phone he chose to go against league policy.

That's what it should be, yes. The fact that the organization continues to deny any wrong-doing, using scientists who probably once worked claiming that cigarettes are good for you, should also be a factor. They've shown zero remorse for a very serious infraction.

zero remorse, and they castigated the league before the facts were in as well.  they were hardly docile about it.

Actually there's a policy stating just that - players need to assist in any investigation. By not turning over his phone he chose to go against league policy.

And I'm saying that the CBA trumps that particular policy. If the league is dumb enough to punish Brady for not turning over his phone (I doubt they're that dumb but who knows), the union will appeal and it will be a no-brainer for the arbitrator to overturn it.

Anyone who thinks this deflation started from last season is grossly mistaken. This cheating has been going on for years. Brady needs to be suspended for one season at the minimum for a cheating violation sacrificing the integrity of the game for multiple seasons.

Anyone who think's that Brady was doing this without the explicit knowledge of BB is also mistaken. This is the second time BB is caught cheating. Infact the punishment he is handed out should be much more severe than Brady. So asking his punishment to match that of Brady is giving him a HUGE break.

Again the Pats organization has been in the midst of these scandals far too often. If the league is serious about the integrity of the game than the punishment to the Pats should make it clear that the league will not stand for cheating team.

Anything less is just varying the degree of intensity that slap on the wrist is going to be.

I completely agree, they've been doing this for years and the evidence is pretty clear - but I simply don't see either BB or Brady getting suspended for a season....BB 2nd offense has to also be taken into account...

But realistic expectations...8 Games for Brady, 2 for BB and a 1st round pick - is the minimum enough to satisfy me.

The captain of the ship should be punished.  Payton was.

And I'm saying that the CBA trumps that particular policy. If the league is dumb enough to punish Brady for not turning over his phone (I doubt they're that dumb but who knows), the union will appeal and it will be a no-brainer for the arbitrator to overturn it.

I don't believe they would itemize it like a court of law would (10 years for robbery, 5 for kidnapping etc...) They will take all of the information into account and apply a penalty.  The fact that he chose to obstruct the investigation will be just one of the many infractions considered when deciding upon a penalty.

And I'm saying that the CBA trumps that particular policy. If the league is dumb enough to punish Brady for not turning over his phone (I doubt they're that dumb but who knows), the union will appeal and will be a no-brainer for the arbitrator to overturn it.

Wrong, wronger, wrongest. The CBA gives Goodell basically unlimited disciplinary authority and all appeals go directly to him, not to an arbitrator.

Talk about jealous and envious Jets fans.

Stop your whining and hope your team can be competitive some day.

Talk about jealous and envious Jets fans.

Stop your whining and hope your team can be competitive some day.

McNally told NFL Security that he had been personally told by Brady of Brady‟s inflation level preference.

McNally told NFL Security that he had been personally told by Brady of Brady‟s inflation level preference.

Is that in the report?  Does it say those specifications are below the limit?

(I haven't read the whole thing yet - planning to tonight)

Hmmm why is isn't this being reported!!

And Brady has the nerve to say through his mouthpieces that this was some type of sting operation. 

I wish and pray that Brady takes this to court like Vilma did.  He will be exposed......

Love it ....

Is that in the report?  Does it say those specifications are below the limit?

(I haven't read the whole thing yet - planning to tonight)

I copied it directly from the report.  page 19 I believe

Hmmm why is isn't this being reported!!

And Brady has the nerve to say through his mouthpieces that this was some type of sting operation. 

I wish and pray that Brady takes this to court like Vilma did.  He will be exposed......

Love it ....

I don't know !  its the smoking gun everybody says doesn't exist

Wrong, wronger, wrongest. The CBA gives Goodell basically unlimited disciplinary authority and all appeals go directly to him, not to an arbitrator.

That's why he decided the Bountygate appeal, amirite?  Or did he recuse himself and have an arbitrator (Tagliabue) decide the issue instead? 

He would either recuse himself again or the NFLPA will challenge the scope of his authority (and his inability to decide an appeal objectively) in the courts. 

That's why he decided the Bountygate appeal, amirite? Or did he recuse himself and have an arbitrator (Tagliabue) decide the issue instead?

He would either recuse himself again or the NFLPA will challenge the scope of his authority (and his inability to decide an appeal objectively) in the courts.

So basically the opposite of what you said before? Yes, that is possible.

Archived