Fitz Playing Like Crap

j4jets

If that's true, then why are we so sure Geno sucks when his first year Kerley was his best receiver by far and his second year Decker was hurt for at least half the year?  I mean, if we are willing to excuse Fitz for stinking up the place because he didn't have a healthy Decker.

Nobody is excusing anything

But yes, it's certain that Geno sucks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly we all know what fitz is .. I'm not the biggest geno fan but any stretch , but lord know we've been  through the bumps with him let's see if there's something there...   One thing Geno can do is throw down field I just feel it's  frustrating to watch him (fitz) with  open men  downfield and have him throw theses ducks in the air , plus geno adds more of a run element if man are covered down  Field. the skill set is there with geno, it's all about where he's heads out. Fitz would be fine to get you to 8,9 wins a optimum Geno will take you beyond that 

So we know what Fitz is but after 31 games of horrendous play we don't know what Geno is yet? Reminds me of an old joke.

The town floods and a man climbs to his roof as the water is rising and he starts praying. A neighbor comes by in a raft and offers to rescue him. The man says, "No thank you. The Lord will save me if I keep praying." 20 minutes later the water is up to the man's waist and a coast guard boat pulls up and throws him a rope. "Thank you my friends, but God will surely rescue me." Finally, a helicopter appears overhead and lowers him a rope. By now the water is up to the man's neck. But he refuses to climb and yells up to the pilot, "The Lord is my salvation! He will see me through this!" The chopper pilot shrugs and leaves. The water then rushes over the roof and the man drowns. He goes up to Heaven and meets God. He asks, "My Lord, I lived an honest life, I prayed every day, I tithed every dollar I ever earned. Why did you forsake me?" God rolls his eyes and says, "Hey, idiot. I sent you a raft, a boat, and a helicopter."

FitzCrapatrick?  Has a nice buzz.  Could catch on.  The guys at the NY Post are more creative than me.  Looking forward to see what they come up with.

I don't dislike Fitz, we just know what he can do.  Be a solid backup.  Don't feel like hoping all season a 32 year old will suddenly play better than he has before.  Rather see if a 3rd year guy can improve instead.  Seems like better odds.

FitzCrapatrick?  Has a nice buzz.  Could catch on.  The guys at the NY Post are more creative than me.  Looking forward to see what they come up with.

I don't dislike Fitz, we just know what he can do.  Be a solid backup.  Don't feel like hoping all season a 32 year old will suddenly play better than he has before.  Rather see if a 3rd year guy can improve instead.  Seems like better odds.

Don't take those odds to Vegas

After a betting proposition costs you chips for 32 consecutive rolls of the dice, the odds are overwhelming that you will go bankrupt by continuing to bet on it.

And Geno is the ultimate losing betting proposition

Nobody is excusing anything

But yes, it's certain that Geno sucks

I think you are.  You have decided Geno is beyond the pale, but not Fitz because the guy only had one bad game.  But in that bad game Fitz still had a better receiving corps than Geno ever had in the first place.

Still better than the multiple pick-sixes and fumbles we've become accustomed to over the past few seasons.

No, not really. This was a miserable game by Fitz. His ints were all bad throws and there were about three other dropped ints as well. Poor poor throws. His completion percentage is so misleading. Most of the game, he was sinking and dunking. He completed 7 of 8 to Powell and the only drop was an errant throw. Fitz is an ok backup with no upside. Geno has much more potential than Fitz ever did. 

The calls for Geno are asinine. You really want that guy leading your team? . Besides the fact that Fitz, however mediocre, is still better than Geno.

Not really. Fitz was behind Geno the whole off-season. It wasn't his "magic" that made him the starter. Actually, I take that back. In a way, it was his magic that got him the starting gig. 

As folks stated Fritz is a back up QB The Jets can't afford to play so dumb.  

Anyway we can't play like that for a whole game, can we?

Besides, it didn't help that the Jets defense, especially the run defense, looked like an open gate.

Even the special teams at times looked like a drunken prom date -They were spread all over.

Also, it didn't help that our only truly eligible wide reciever (Brandon Marshall) caused the two major turnobers that led to 14 unanswered points.

So I guess everybody's right, it was Fitzpatrick's fault...

( sarcasm, it's such a lost art.)

Fitzy might be playing bad but he is a much better option at quarterback then Geno Smith is. I don't think the Jets would be 2-1 and relevant if Geno was starting the way he makes mistakes at quarterback. Fitzy atleast leads the team the right way and has a few bumps in the road which is excusable when the team is over .500 at the moment

Fitz played like crap today.  I was disappointed that all the deep balls were on the inside shoulder of the receiver, instead of outside where the defender couldn't get to it.  The INT intended for Devin Smith in the end zone really perturbed me because that was a situation where they needed points, even a field goal, and couldn't afford a turnover.

Having said that, he is entitled one bad game, and I'm more apt to blame missing both Decker and Ivory, 2 of the 3 biggest pieces of this offensive attack, for this pathetic showing.  They probably could have withstood missing just one, but missing both those guys proved to be too much.

Fitz needs to make the corrections, and understand teams are going to dare him to beat them deep.  He needs to hit some of these deep balls.  I still think Fitz is the better option than Geno.

Gailey needs to figure out a way to get the running game going, especially with Powell in there.  That's 2 weeks now where the running game has lacked consistency.  This puts an unreasonable burden on the QB, whether it's Fitz or Geno.

Fitzy might be playing bad but he is a much better option at quarterback then Geno Smith is. I don't think the Jets would be 2-1 and relevant if Geno was starting the way he makes mistakes at quarterback. Fitzy atleast leads the team the right way and has a few bumps in the road which is excusable when the team is over .500 at the moment

I don't think it was Fitz that produced the 5 defensive turnovers. We just didn't get the 5 turnovers this week. And no, Fitz does not lead this team to anything. The D did. Gave up 17 points after three poor ints and the BM fumble. Posted a shutout in the 2nd half and gave excellent field position numerous times. Oh but it failed to create 5 turnovers. 

Geno always looks good when it doesn't matter so he probably did look good in practice. However, if you go to Geno and he sucks then the coaching staff can't come back to Fitz. Dropping Fitz for Geno is a vote of no confidence in Fitz. It makes the coaching staff look clueless and the offense lack leadership. It would ruin the team. If Geno goes in Bowles has to know Geno is the answer or he is prepared to throw the towel in on the season and start planning aggressively for the 2016 QB situation.

It does not do anything like that. Geno was clearly #1 before the incident, and if Fitz struggles and they put Geno in it will only look like they gave Fitz a legitimate shot. 

Fitz has a better OC, better weapons and a better HC and he is putting up Geno-like numbers and has absolutely none of the upside or playmaking capabilities that Geno has. If Fitz continues this play and he is not replaced Bowles will look like an idiot.

Lol, Fitz is on a solid pace for 26 or 27 ints this year. Geno had only 13 last year. But keep throwing out complete Geno hating crap.

LOL, talking about 'on pace' after THREE games?

I guess superstar Cleveland Browns WR Travis Benjamin is ON PACE!!!!!! to lead the league with 21 TDs. Travis Benjamin > Gronkowski.

And yeah, i see nothing wrong with HATING on a QB that has 34 INT (and 7 fumbles) in 30 games. Wonder how many QBs in history have a worse record in their first 2 seasons

Almost any QB would have won two games where the other teams turned the ball over 10 times.  Let's not be ridiculous.

Putting up 20 points when the other team turned the ball over five times is pathetic.

I guess superstar Cleveland Browns WR Travis Benjamin is ON PACE!!!!!! to lead the league with 21 TDs. Travis Benjamin > Gronkowski.

And yeah, i see nothing wrong with HATING on a QB that has 34 INT (and 7 fumbles) in 30 games. Wonder how many QBs in history have a worse record in their first 2 seasons

Not comparing but Peyton Manning had 43 in his first 32 games. Plus Geno had no talent and Rex as coach for additional handicaps.

oh yeah that's right, let's pick up his worst game in his 2nd season where he hardly knew the name of his 2nd starting WR and use that as a base to argue. How about you pick the last 4 games he played where he knew his WRs and they were legit NFL talent? That's the Geno the CS saw the entire offseason. 

Travis train will eventually slow down of course. Fitz? Well we all knew this day was coming sooner than later. He can't throw pass 15 yards down the field. If he does, chances are someone else is catching it besides the intended receiver. 

And you're hating on a QB that had no WR or TE to catch for him for the most part of his rookie and 2nd year. You can't make that stuff up. He was put in one of the worst positions to succeed as a QB. He had a great month to end the year and an excellent camp to begin his third year. 

yup.  the deep balls are more or less chucks, and have almost no chance of being completed.  

with no decker or ivory, and marshall being double teamed and literally giving the ball away, fitz had to come back with powell, kerley, enunwa, cumberland and smith

yikes

still beats what geno had last year on offense

I know Fitzpatrick sucks. I'm not even trying to defend him.

But Geno's entire off-season was 10 days of training camp. He missed the remainder of the off-season. I wouldn't be arguing this if Geno had proven himself in preseason games, but that wasn't the case. Not sure why some of you guys keep referring to this 'incredible' 10 days of training camp he had, it's pointless.

oh yeah that's right, let's pick up his worst game in his 2nd season where he hardly knew the name of his 2nd starting WR and use that as a base to argue. How about you pick the last 4 games he played where he knew his WRs and they were legit NFL talent? That's the Geno the CS saw the entire offseason. 

So you're allowed to cherry pick games and i'm not?

You picked his best stretch of games, i pick the games from the rest of his career. Mine's the bigger sample size. I can't ignore all the sh*tty games i have seen from him. While you guys keep looking at his 'upside', you're ignoring the potential downside - i.e. games like the one against Buffalo. It's not an objective point of view. I'm also of the opinion that QBs make their WRs, not the other way around, so the weapons argument doesn't really work for me. Tom Brady won playoff games with Jabar Gaffney and Richie Caldwell.

And his 'best' stretch of games was hardly exceptional. In 2 full seasons, you're bound to have a few decent games, and if that's the limit of his 'upside' then we haven't got much to talk about. Didn't he finish 2013 just as strong, winning 3 of the last 4 games...? After 34 games, 2 full seasons, you pretty much know what you'll get. 

And with the new rookie contract regulations, a team doesn't need to indefinitely commit to a QB. Throw em in, see if they can play, if not, draft another one and cut bait. I'd rather see the team invest some time into making Bryce Petty the 2nd QB. Geno looks more like a lost cause to me.

The board was unreadable today. Really sad to see how we react as a fan base. If we win next week then Fitz is our conquering hero again. We are a 2-1 football team with a big divisional game coming up before the bye. Many if not most of you would've signed up for this prior to the season. Try and look at the big picture here. The Jets did not play well today, they beat themselves and deserved to lose, with that said hopefully Bowles coaches them up. They needed a little wake up call, not always going to be so easy 5 turnovers a game. I think they'll bounce back just fine. 3-1 heading into the bye with Washington at home waiting for us? you guys will be saying " jets should be a super bowl team" again. Incredible, really. 

He can't throw pass 15 yards down the field. If he does, chances are someone else is catching it besides the intended receiver. 

You could say the exact same thing for Geno. His supposed 'deep ball strength' is a complete myth, he is a PATHETIC deep ball thrower.

Posted it in another thread, might as well leave it here for your benefit:

Over my morning coffee I was looking into Geno Smith's performances, hoping to find some areas where he excels and some areas where it's a given he'll need to improve. One area I spotted that needed immediate attention was his accuracy on deep balls. He doesn't throw down field very much, but when he does, he is terrible.

Geno has only attempted 37 passes that travel over 20 yards in the air. Considerably less than the league leader (Andrew Luck - 81). In fact, 28 quarterbacks have attempted more throws of over 20 yards. With Percy Harvin coming on board and Eric Decker, you would think we would try more shots downfield to our receivers, however when you look at Geno's performance, it makes sense for the Jets to pull back on the reigns.

Of the 37 passes attempted, he has completed just 6 of them with 2 passes being dropped. Even if you factor in those passes, he has a league low completion percentage of 21.6%. Lower than a lot of young QB's like Teddy Bridgewater (42.1%), Zach Mettenberger (47.8%) and even lower than rookies Blake Bortles (31/9%) and Derek Carr (24.1%).

If that wasn't bad enough, Geno has thrown 7 of his 12 interceptions on the season on throws more than 20 yards. Which means he's thrown more interceptions than pass completions on balls travelling downfield. That is an alarming rate given the amount of attempts. For example, the 7 interceptions thrown lead the league, more than Jay Cutler (6 on 59 attempts), Matt Stafford (5 on 55 attempts) and Nick Foles (6 on 59 attempts).

If that were not bad enough, he has only 2 touchdowns and 224 yards throwing downfield. Looking at the same players we looked at above, that is considerably less than Jay Cutler (6 TD's for 647 yards), Nick Foles (9 TD's for 578 yards) and Matt Stafford (7 TD's for 669 yards).

Are the Jets simply not protecting Geno long enough for deep plays to develop? Well actually, that couldn't be further from the truth. Geno Smith has more than 2.6 seconds to throw on 59.8% of his drop-backs, which is the highest rate in the league. However he is only completing 47.6% of his passes when given over 2.6 seconds to throw, good for 24th best out of 27 QB’s who have played in at least 50% of their team snaps.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/12/16/7401013/deep-ball-problems-for-geno-smith

That's funny...Teddy Bridgewater and Zach Mettenberger had no WEAPONS either...yet, still had much better accuracy throwing deep? Hell, they might have been a little bit better if they had Eric Decker for 15 games, or Percy Harvin... ;)

It does not do anything like that. Geno was clearly #1 before the incident, and if Fitz struggles and they put Geno in it will only look like they gave Fitz a legitimate shot. 

Fitz has a better OC, better weapons and a better HC and he is putting up Geno-like numbers and has absolutely none of the upside or playmaking capabilities that Geno has. If Fitz continues this play and he is not replaced Bowles will look like an idiot.

Yes, when looking at a midseason change in QB from Fitz's perspective it would look like they gave him a shot and he didn't rise to the occasion.

That's fine if Geno performs at or above Fitz's production. However, if Geno comes out and sucks terribly then the team is stuck. Going with Geno is a one way street. Bowles can't go backwards to Fitz after going to Geno. Maybe he can bring in Petty once we are eliminated from playoffs but there's no flipflopping between QBs. My point was that Bowles has to be confident in any decision to bring back Geno.

I think you are.  You have decided Geno is beyond the pale, but not Fitz because the guy only had one bad game.  But in that bad game Fitz still had a better receiving corps than Geno ever had in the first place.

Sorry about your blindness, Helen Keltic, but those of us with eyes have seen enough of Geno to recognize his stinkedness had nothing to do with weapons and everything to do with his stinkedness

Yes, when looking at a midseason change in QB from Fitz's perspective it would look like they gave him a shot and he didn't rise to the occasion.

That's fine if Geno performs at or above Fitz's production. However, if Geno comes out and sucks terribly then the team is stuck. Going with Geno is a one way street. Bowles can't go backwards to Fitz after going to Geno. Maybe he can bring in Petty once we are eliminated from playoffs but there's no flipflopping between QBs. My point was that Bowles has to be confident in any decision to bring back Geno.

Are you missing the point that not going back to Fitz is a positive? If Geno plays and sucks they you KNOW it and plan accordingly, focusing on Petty or another draft choice. The only way that playing Fitz could be good is if we have a deep playoff run, and I challenge anyone that really thinks that will happen with his play. But playing him means that Geno is still a mystery. What then? Another open competition next year between Geno Petty and Fitz? Bowles and Gailey don't believe in splitting reps. I want us to build a team for long term success not for short term mediocrity. Playing Fitz is accepting short term mediocrity and that is not acceptable to me. I would rather be 4-12 with a QB that has upside than 8-8 with a journeyman no one. At least in the 4-12 team you can continue addressing the issue and working towards sustained success.

The real crap thing is that Fitz is playing no better than Geno did last year. The coaching staff thinks Geno is better, they need to make the swap.

Fitz has five FIVE f'n turnovers in 3 games. It is unlikely Geno would be worse for that in a system specifically designed for easy reads that help limit turnovers. It is not the WC system with complex reads that make it easy to throw picks it is a simplified offense that presents a clean progression and a dumpoff on each play. Rodgers and Brady are great QBs but their systems also eliminate turnovers. Even though Rodgers plays in a WC offense, Rodgers himself has said that it is adapted so that there is a single read and dump off on every play, and that is a big part of the reason he thew 5 INTS last year total, (and being the best QB in football), but the point remains that Fitz is playing with better weapons in maybe the most QB friendly system in the NFL and he has 5 picks in 3 games. It is very very unlikely Geno would be that bad,

Archived